Nice 1st set Fed!

felangey

Nov 23, 2010, 10:10:44 AM11/23/10
Who else thought he was gonna dump that last service game! :\

Good recovery.

Rodjk #613

Nov 23, 2010, 10:23:29 AM11/23/10
On Nov 23, 9:10 am, "felangey" <o...@cloudnine.com> wrote:
> Who else thought he was gonna dump that last service game! :\
>
> Good recovery.

And a break in the 1st game of the 2nd and an apparently easy hold to
consolidate...wish I could see this.

Can anyone watching give their impression?

Rodjk #613

Superdave

Nov 23, 2010, 10:28:55 AM11/23/10

Fed serving well and volleying well forcing Murray into too many errors.

Manuel aka Xax

Nov 23, 2010, 10:32:33 AM11/23/10
On 23 nov, 16:10, "felangey" <o...@cloudnine.com> wrote:
> Who else thought he was gonna dump that last service game! :\
>
> Good recovery.

He mostly engaged "extra gear" once: to broke Murray to love, then
routined all games (serve or return) until facing that 0-30 when
serving for the set.

High tension, rather than high tennis (pretty much like yesterday
between Rafa & Andy).
Few great points so far.

Good recovery for Murray in the opening game of the second set,
instead :-)
Would have been somewhat harder, having a set AND a break to face so
early...
Ouch.

I should have posted this earlier!

Federer is now a set and a DOUBLE break up!
Leading 3/0.
I was confident in Murray to finally get his opening game, but after
having lost game points, he had to give up when Federer hit a truly
awesome FH.
Roger wasted no time to win the next game, and eventually broke Andy
again.
4/0.

Pedro Dias

Nov 23, 2010, 10:45:57 AM11/23/10

All true, but I think the story of the match is really that the Murray
that showed up today was Passive Andy: he gave Federer far too much
leeway to take control of points, and, to his credit, Federer did,
without slipping into one of his patented walkaways. Now Murray is so
deep into a funk he can't even pretend to believe he's got a shot at
this, and all Federer needs to do is keep his head together and serve
it out.

But, like with most Federer wins of the recent past, I don't get the
sense that this will necessarily translate into a consistent
performance against someone playing reasonably error-free, aggressive
tennis. Then again, he's unlikely to see that until the knock-out
stages.

Manuel aka Xax

Nov 23, 2010, 10:50:03 AM11/23/10

Since Federer broke Murray, the game is much more interesting, for
Andy is forced to go more for shots.
By the way Federer did some "magic shots" to double-break Murray.
By far the best set so far.
If Federer can play few more matches this way, he'll get his fifth
title at YEC.
5/1.
Murray was also introuble in the only he got so far (serving) in this
set.

From time to time, is does look like some training session for
Federer: not playing twice the same shot / effect in rally...
Or letting Murray step him, like he wanted to test how long he was
able to stay in the rally when Murray is in command.
5/2 Federer serving for the match
15/0
30/0
30/15
30/30
40/30
G.S.M. 6/2

felangey

Nov 23, 2010, 10:53:04 AM11/23/10
>All true, but I think the story of the match is really that the Murray
that showed up today was Passive Andy: he gave Federer far too much
leeway to take control of points, and, to his credit, Federer did,
without slipping into one of his patented walkaways. Now Murray is so
deep into a funk he can't even pretend to believe he's got a shot at
this, and all Federer needs to do is keep his head together and serve
it out.<

Nah, Fed was the one actively taking control of the points....his ball
placement during the match was fantastic....excellent use of the slice to
get Andy in from the baseline. Pretty much the same way he dismantled Muzz
here last day. Really good performance from Fed.

>But, like with most Federer wins of the recent past, I don't get the
sense that this will necessarily translate into a consistent
performance against someone playing reasonably error-free, aggressive
tennis. Then again, he's unlikely to see that until the knock-out
stages.<

Naysayer! ;)

felangey

Nov 23, 2010, 10:55:58 AM11/23/10
>Since Federer broke Murray, the game is much more interesting, for
Andy is forced to go more for shots.
By the way Federer did some "magic shots" to double-break Murray.
By far the best set so far.<

Fed was off the chain for all the key points/stages of the match....some
outrageous stuff. Yet most importantly, a consistent clean match.

From time to time, is does look like some training session for
Federer: not playing twice the same shot / effect in rally...
Or letting Murray step him, like he wanted to test how long he was
able to stay in the rally when Murray is in command.

Yup, we got that impression too. He was just too comfortable by then,
perhaps.

Javier González

Nov 23, 2010, 11:04:14 AM11/23/10

The news is that Passive Andy was also Inconsistent Andy. It's not the
usual script of Fed vs Murray matches that Federer is more consistent
than Murray. Either Murray rolls him with junk and draws out the
errors, or Federer is on fire and killing Murray with winners. I
didn't get the idea that Federer was "on fire", on lots of points it
was Federer winning the game of who misses first.

> But, like with most Federer wins of the recent past, I don't get the
> sense that this will necessarily translate into a consistent
> performance against someone playing reasonably error-free, aggressive
> tennis. Then again, he's unlikely to see that until the knock-out
> stages.

Yep.

SliceAndDice

Nov 23, 2010, 11:06:31 AM11/23/10

I must have watched a different match. I thought Fed was fantastic
today. He must have heard Murray say that Nadal is the hardest guy to
beat at this WTF, and retaliated :)

Fed showed that there is life in the old lion yet. But this kind of
form is hard to maintain even through a tournament, at age 29. I am
hoping he does.

felangey

Nov 23, 2010, 11:11:08 AM11/23/10
>I must have watched a different match. I thought Fed was fantastic
today.<

He really was. Ignore the trolls! :)

>Fed showed that there is life in the old lion yet. But this kind of
form is hard to maintain even through a tournament, at age 29. I am
hoping he does.<

Yeah, lets hope the form continues. Group B gets a rest day before the
semis, which should help....not that he was on court too long today! :)

only human

Nov 23, 2010, 11:16:46 AM11/23/10

When you see Federer beating Murray so easily like this it makes you
wonder just how badly did Federer play against Murray in the ones he
lost? Murray just can't seem to hang with Fed in 5 sets. and this easy
win shows Federer is more then capable of beating Murray in best of 3
set matches if Federer is focused and wants it bad enough.

Pedro Dias

Nov 23, 2010, 11:54:52 AM11/23/10
On Nov 23, 11:16 am, surfer...@webtv.net (only human) wrote:
> When you see Federer beating Murray so easily like this it makes you
> wonder just how badly did Federer play against Murray in the ones he
> lost? Murray just can't seem to hang with Fed in 5 sets. And this easy

> win shows Federer is more then capable of beating Murray in best of 3
> set matches if Federer is focused and wants it bad enough.

Good question, if we assume the only difference is in Federer's play.
But it isn't: Murray was awful off the first ball today, totally
conceded the initiative. He's one of the best returners in the game
when he's on, and Federer has been putting up some terrible second-
serve numbers of late - yet today Federer won 75% of his second-serve
points. He hit 55% of his first serves in, and normally that would be
too low against Murray - but today it translated into a near-rout.

Yes, Federer played well enough, and hit some pretty shots. But Murray
did very little to keep him from hitting them, and in addition he was
awful counter-punching, which he usually does exceedingly well. Murray
is a completely different player when he's this passive and this
sloppy. He's done a good job of cutting down on how often this happens
as he's moved up the ranks, but when it does he's still pretty easy
fodder for the top players.

kaennorsing

Nov 23, 2010, 2:25:48 PM11/23/10
On 23 nov, 17:54, Pedro Dias <pedrod...@snip.net> wrote:
> On Nov 23, 11:16 am, surfer...@webtv.net (only human) wrote:
>
> > When you see Federer beating Murray so easily like this it makes you
> > wonder just how badly did Federer play against Murray in the ones he
> > lost? Murray just can't seem to hang with Fed in 5 sets. And this easy
> > win shows Federer is more then capable of beating Murray in best of 3
> > set matches if Federer is focused and wants it bad enough.
>
> Good question, if we assume the only difference is in Federer's play.
> But it isn't: Murray was awful off the first ball today, totally
> conceded the initiative. He's one of the best returners in the game
> when he's on, and Federer has been putting up some terrible second-
> serve numbers of late - yet today Federer won 75% of his second-serve
> points. He hit 55% of his first serves in, and normally that would be
> too low against Murray - but today it translated into a near-rout.

Yes, that's basically what I saw as well. Federer pretty good for his
standard, Murray bad for his. Not a very good match overall.

> Yes, Federer played well enough, and hit some pretty shots. But Murray
> did very little to keep him from hitting them, and in addition he was
> awful counter-punching, which he usually does exceedingly well. Murray
> is a completely different player when he's this passive and this
> sloppy. He's done a good job of cutting down on how often this happens
> as he's moved up the ranks, but when it does he's still pretty easy
> fodder for the top players.

Maybe the secret for Federer is how he returns Andy's serve. They
showed an image of where Fed returned the Murray 2nd serve in the slam
finals they played: practically all of them well inside the court.
Today was the same... Just too bad they didn't show the images of
other matches to see how much further back Roger normally returns
Andy's 2nd serve. This would have been interesting as Fed went through
a period (before hooking up with Anacone) where he repeatedly
retreated well behind the baseline on 2nd serve returns - much to my
frustration.