Of all the nations who never won the World Cup, Spain deserves to win it the most

Raja, The Great

Apr 17, 2010, 11:10:59 AM4/17/10
Concentrating on the European nations (the best S.America nations have
already won it, no other continent deserves the WC as of yet) ...

European Championships = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_European_Football_Championship
European Cup = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Cup_and_Champions_League_records_and_statistics

Spain:
World Cup Runner Up - None
European Championships - twice in 1964 and 2008
European Cup - 12 times = Real Madrid (9), Barcleona (3)

Holland:
World Cup Runner Up - twice in 1974 and 1978
European Championships - once in 1988
European Cup - 6 times = Ajax (4), Feyenoord (1), PSV Eindhoven (1)

Portugal:
World Cup Runner Up - None
European Championships - None
European Cup - 4 times = Benfica (2), Porto (2)

Czech/Slovakia:
World Cup Runner Up - twice in 1934 and 1962
European Championships - once in 1976
European Cup - None

Denmark:
World Cup Runner Up - None
European Championships - once in 1992
European Cup - None

Russia:
World Cup Runner Up - None
European Championships - once in 1960
European Cup - None

Greece:
World Cup Runner Up - None
European Championships - once in 2004
European Cup - None

Scotland:
World Cup Runner Up - None
European Championships - None
European Cup - Once = Celtic (1)

Romania:
World Cup Runner Up - None
European Championships - None
European Cup - Once = Steaua Bucureşti (1)

Serbia/Yugoslavia:
World Cup Runner Up - None
European Championships - None
European Cup - Once = Red Star Belgrade (1)

Real Mardin

Apr 17, 2010, 11:55:17 AM4/17/10
On Apr 17, 4:10 pm, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Concentrating on the European nations (the best S.America nations have
> already won it, no other continent deserves the WC as of yet) ...
>
> European Championships =http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_European_Football_Championship
> European Cup =http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Cup_and_Champions_League_record...

> Spain:
> World Cup Runner Up - None
> European Championships - twice in 1964 and 2008
> European Cup - 12 times = Real Madrid (9), Barcleona (3)

What the hell? Club football is different to international football,
just because Real Madrid and Barcelona have been dominant forces in
UEFA competitions doesn't mean Spain deserve to win the World Cup!

Look, Spain obviously have a talented team, but if you actually saw
their qualifying games they weren't actuallly as dominant as the final
table suggested. I still say they will be knocked out by the first
quality side they come across in South Africa, with the way the
tournament tree has fallen they may not come across such a side until
the semi finals but they will fall short of being World Champions.

RM

Raja, The Great

Apr 17, 2010, 12:16:48 PM4/17/10

They did win two Euro championships. And a lot of Spanish players have
played for Barcelona and Real Madrid over the years.

Insane Ranter

Apr 17, 2010, 4:06:40 PM4/17/10

So we should cancel the tourney and just ship the trophy to Spain
then?

Javier González Nicolini

Apr 17, 2010, 6:26:43 PM4/17/10

STFU Raja.

1.- "deserve" has absolutely nothing to do with soccer
2.- The big names in spanish league are foreigners

bubba

Apr 17, 2010, 11:01:22 PM4/17/10
On Apr 17, 11:10 am, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Concentrating on the European nations (the best S.America nations have
> already won it, no other continent deserves the WC as of yet) ...
>
> European Cup - Once = Steaua Bucureºti (1)

> Serbia/Yugoslavia:
> World Cup Runner Up - None
> European Championships - None
> European Cup - Once = Red Star Belgrade (1)

list a list a list

Mark

Apr 18, 2010, 5:02:56 AM4/18/10
On Apr 17, 4:10 pm, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Concentrating on the European nations (the best S.America nations have
> already won it, no other continent deserves the WC as of yet) ...
>
> Spain:
> World Cup Runner Up - None
> European Championships - twice in 1964 and 2008
> European Cup - 12 times = Real Madrid (9), Barcleona (3)
>
> Holland:
> World Cup Runner Up - twice in 1974 and 1978
> European Championships - once in 1988
> European Cup - 6 times = Ajax (4), Feyenoord (1), PSV Eindhoven (1)

Club football is irrelevant. The European Championship is a prize in
itself, I don't see how winning one tournament means you deserve to
win another one; the best team in Europe merely deserves to win the
European Championship.
The team that deserves to win a tournament is likely to be the team
that has missed out through bad luck, and/or come really close and
just missed out; so a look at the teams who have been runners-up the
most times seems to be a natural way of finding them.
Of the teams you've mentioned, that's Czech Republic and Holland;
both of Holland's final defeats were against the host country so I'd
go for Holland.