For Whisper: Federer's era is weaker than Sampras'

1 view

Ali Asoag

Dec 14, 2010, 11:44:22 PM12/14/10
Sampras always brags having played against Becker, Edberg, Lendl, Agassi
... who were much tougher than Safin, Hewitt, Roddick.

So let's talk about facts: Sampras won his Slams against:
- Agassi (4x)
- Courier (1x)
- Pioline (2x)
- Todd Martin (1x, who the hell is this? LOL)
- Ivanesevic (2x, could he really play tennis? LOL)
- Becker (1x)
- Chang (1x)
- Moya (1x)
- Rafter (1x),

and lost his 4 Slams to:
- Edberg (1x)
- Agassi (1x)
- Safin (1x, oh I thought Safin was weak?)
- Hewitt (1x oh I thought Hewitt was weak?).

The fact is: Sampras won Slams against those so-called tough guys only 5
times (of them 4 times against Agassi) and when they were already passed
their peak. Whereas he lost Slams to the so-called weak boys Hewitt and
Safin.

Is that not ridiculous?

Superdave

Dec 15, 2010, 1:06:09 AM12/15/10

No, but whisper is.

Whisper

Dec 15, 2010, 2:06:34 AM12/15/10

Sampras was old & past it when he lost to Safin & Hewitt.

Which tough guys did Fed beat? Berdych, Bagditis & Gonzales....?

Iceberg

Dec 15, 2010, 6:03:41 AM12/15/10

also Safin/Hewitt were very much for slam winning in those days, esp
Hewitt, his continual COME ON showed this. Once he won Wimbledon that
was pretty much it, he'd got what he most wanted.

Ali Asoag

Dec 15, 2010, 10:20:22 PM12/15/10

But playing Becker and Edberg and McEnroe and Lendle and and and when
those were old. But he keeps bragging he was playing the elite and how
tough it was playing those guys.

> Which tough guys did Fed beat? Berdych, Bagditis & Gonzales....?

Safin and Hewitt who beat Sampras. And Sampras himself.

Ali Asoag

Dec 15, 2010, 10:27:59 PM12/15/10

Just face it: Fed *made* his era look like clowns. Sampras allowed his
era to look strong (yeah, an era dominating the GOAT candidate back then
in all of his FO's must have been strong) which was not the case.

Iceberg

Dec 16, 2010, 3:22:37 AM12/16/10

6 consecutive years.

John Liang

Dec 16, 2010, 8:39:02 PM12/16/10

We knew those four guys were pretty much passed their peak in 1993
when Sampras
was peaking.

> > Which tough guys did Fed beat? Berdych, Bagditis & Gonzales....?
>

> Safin and Hewitt who beat Sampras. And Sampras himself.- Hide quoted text -

Berdych, Bagditis and Gonzales were certainly not weaker players
compare to Martin or Pioline or Washington.

Manco

Dec 16, 2010, 8:57:08 PM12/16/10
What % of those 6 years was he at #1? YE #1 is more of a scheduling
deal in Sampras' case then dominance like it is for Federer & Nadal.

Ali Asoag

Dec 17, 2010, 9:31:29 PM12/17/10

>>> But playing Becker and Edberg and McEnroe and Lendle and and and when
>>> those were old. But he keeps bragging he was playing the elite and how
>>> tough it was playing those guys.

>>> Safin and Hewitt who beat Sampras. And Sampras himself.
>>
>> Just face it: Fed *made* his era look like clowns. Sampras allowed his
>> era to look strong (yeah, an era dominating the GOAT candidate back then
>> in all of his FO's must have been strong) which was not the case.
>
> 6 consecutive years.

I thought it was 13 or 14 consecutive years?