In-depth Nadal interview - about injuries, success etc

TT

Mar 24, 2010, 5:59:31 AM3/24/10
Someone translated all this from Spanish article at Marca newspaper.
This should fill in the lack of talking points for a while...

Q. Let’s put ourselves in the situation. Quarters in Australia against
Murray. Do you remember during what play you noticed the pinch in your
right knee ?
A. Just that it was at the end of the second set, I think at 5-5 or 5-4.
In those circumstances you dont’ think anything.

Q. When did you realize that it was serious enough to have to retire
from the match ?
A. You learn with the years [of experience]. When you’re younger, you
take your body too much to the limit. If you know yourself, you know
when the pain is dangerous. I tried to start the third set and I saw
that I couldn’t. My uncle Tony, from the stands, also advised me to
stop. And thankfully I did, because the doctor said that I would have a
serious tear if I had continued.

Q. Can you tell us what happened in the locker room at Rod Laver Arena ?
A. I was sad, it was a difficult situation for me, because you’re
retirng from quarterfinals in Australia when you’ve done a lot of work
to be there. You get desperate because you see that you’ve been doing
what you’ve to do for months. You’re training welll, playing wel, and
suddenly, a pinch forces you to retire. I felt true impotence.

Q. Was the greatest suffering the hours you had to spend till you know
what you have, if it’s serious or not ?
A. The worst moment is when you have to say goodbye to a match in front
of so many peoplle in such a grand stage. There’s nothing worse.

Q.What would you give to not have any more injuries until you retire ?
A. You’re asking me what I would give to never again wake up with any
kind of pain ? Anything, whatever. Because, if you think about it, you
are fighting against your rivals, but also against yourself. And that
kills you and drains you mentally.

Q. Did you know so much press would await your return to Barcelona ?
A. It surprised me. I was just thinking of grabbing a taxi and going
quickly to get the medical tests because I wanted to catch the 9pm
flight to Mallorca. After being away from home for a month, and in my
condition, the only thing I wanted was to sleep in my bed, wake up and
do whatever I felt like.

Q. Did you have time to fish before going to IW ?
Yes, I went with a friend from Mallorca. I love the sea, it always liked
it because as a boy I would go to the beach on my own. Even if it was
just to hear the sound of the waves. It’s a sound that gives me a good
feeling. The feeling of catching a fish is awesome.

Q. In the summer, when you stopped due to tendinitis in both knees, you
said that you disconnected from the world. Did you do that again ?
A. No, this time it wasn’t necessary. What i needed was to train and
play. In the summer all the problems came together, personal as well as
professional. I don’t have to show anybody anything, or even to myself.
But when you come through adversity you have renewed desire.

Q. With so many successes mixed with physical struggles, do you keep the
« illusion » that you had the first day ?
A. The same type of « illusion » is impossible ; that doesn’t mean it’s
diminshed, but it’s different. I have a challenge : I want to again feel
that I can go to a tournament, feel capable of winning it, and win it.

Q. How much did your injury affect your performance in 2009 ?
A. A lot, People have said how last year I changed my forehand, but what
really happened is that I was protecting my knees by not flexing them,
to the point where without realizing it I would hit it with a lower and
lower margin. The problems with the serve came because I tore my
abdominal in the second match in Montreal, against Petszchner.

Q. In the Masters Cup at the O2, did you hit rock bottom ?
A. I already knew that I was going there without any options [to win].
The court was difficult, I was not in my best moment, and I had the best
in front of me. Everything came together at once. When I finished the
Masters, I never thought I would start from zero, but that it was a
matter of confidence. In the final in Sant Jordi, when I played Berdych,
I was nervous, normal. But as the minutes passed I calmed down and I
ended up very pleased.

Q. In the Masters Cup at the O2, did you hit rock bottom ?
A. I already knew that I was going there without any options [to win].
The court was difficult, I was not in my best moment, and I had the best
players in front of me. Everything came together at once. When I
finished the Masters, I never thought I would start from zero, but that
it was a matter of confidence. In the final in Sant Jordi, when I played
Berdych, I was nervous, normal. But as the minutes passed I calmed down
and I ended up very pleased.

Q. You’re not talking about the number 1 ranking. Today you’re at #4. Do
you have [the ranking] on a lower priority ?
A. I don’t think that returning to the number 1 ranking is unachievable,
but it’s not my objective. When I got there two years ago, I was having
results similar to those this year and the opportunity presented itself
without even thinking. Before reaching the highest level again, I have
to pass through other phases : overcome matches, conquer tournaments.

Q. Your uncle Toni wanted you to be present for the first rounds of the
Davis Cup against Switzerland to get some rhythm before the first
Masters 1000. Why didn’t you play ?
A. Normally, it’s hard for me to make decisions by myself, but this time
I did it. I talked with captain Albert Costa, who’s an excellent person
and ex-tennis player, and I told him that for me it was not the best
thing to go to Logroño. In three days, I would have had to change
surfaces from clay to hard, and that wasn’t convenient for the knee. I
only had something to lose if I played. Besides, Spain had a capable
team, as we saw. It would have been a different thing if it were the
semifinals or finals, where you risk more. But I knew clearly that it
wasn’t appropriate [for me to go].

Q. Will you be in the quarterfinals a/g France ?
A. I am motivated by the [next] rounds and I hope to help get us into
semifinals.
Q. Is Spain the favorite with Nadal against the Gauls [France] ?
A. In Davis Cup, let’s not delude ourselves, the favorite is the home
team, unless there is a great difference between the teams, which is not
the case. France provides the court, the balls and the crowds, so they
are the favorites.

Q. In IW, you were accompanied by 2 friends, Tomeu Salva and Marc Lopez,
with whom you won in doubles. Are you trying to travel with a bigger
entourage to make the trips more amenables ?
A. Me, if someone wants to come with me, I’m delighted. For Marc I only
have words of thankfulness because he came to Mallorca to train with me
before Indian Wells. It helps me to know at what level I am, because
they’re quality sessions. We played doubles ttogether and that plan
helps me improve things like the serve and the volley. I’m delighted
that Tomeu is here. Everything seems shorter with him at my side.

Q. Those 2 and your childhood group of friends highlight that you’re the
one who cleans and cooks the most when you go on vacation.
A. It’s not that I ‘m the type who likes to help that much with domestic
chores. Ask my mother. My friends are talking about when we went to
Ibiza few years ago. They provided me with an apartment and the least we
could do was to have stuff in order. I like to cook, but every once in a
while. I’m just one more in the group. Winning tournaments doesn’t
change my life in the least.

Q. In IW, we’ve noticed you more confident from the back of the court.
Can we say you’ve recovered your level ?

A. I don’t know, I need to keep improving. Each victory is important and
we can’t blind ourselves with this question of recovering one’s level. I
need to play consecutive matches, to play knowing that nothing will
happen to me so I can go to the limit. Now, subconsciously, I’m more
scared and I don’t know if the limit that I ‘m giving is the real one,
the one I used to give before.

Q. Some tennis players, like Andy Murray,say that you are as great as
Fed because you’ve won 3 Davis Cups and the individual gold in the
Olympics. Do you agree ?
A. No. Fed is at a different level than me and he has more titles than I
do. I’d change myself for him ! In the same manner that most would
change themselves for me, because of the tournaments I’ve won.

Q. But Nadal is one of the few who has achieved a Grand Slam in 3
different surfaces : inRG, Wimbledon and Australia.
A. And I value that very much because it means that through time, I have
surpassed myself, I have progressed.

Q. You have 6 majors. Have you told yourself a number that you’d like to
reach ?
A. I had never done it before and I won’t do it now. Each Grand Slan
that I’ve achieved means a lot in my trajectory.

Q. You’ve always been considered a clay court player. DO you agree ?
A. Let’s be realistic, what’s evident is that to win hard court titles,
Australia, twice in IW, Canada, Dubai, Beijing and Madrid, I’ve had to
play at my maximum level. At a normal level, I don’t win.

Q. What do you think about the new generation of young tennis players,
which you head up, with Djoko, Murray or Del Potro ?
A. Well, that they are all very good. It always seems that what’s new is
better. But at first, and I say it because I also went through it, you
play with nothing to lose and the pressure comes after, in defending
points and maintaining your ranking. For me it’s an attractive
challenget to stay at the top with these people.

Q. And what about the negative head to head of 11 losses in the last 12
matches against the Top 10 ?
A. People can say what they want, but I ‘m not particularly worried
about this. In Doha, against Davydenko, I was playing the match of my
life on hard court, and I lost. I don’t like to give excuses, although
luck was not on my side that day. I’m convinced that when I beat a top 8
or a top 5 it will be to take the title. As a sportsman you know that
the dynamics change all the time and the important thing is to keep
working to grab the opportunity. Since 2010 season began, I don’t have
the feeling that I’ve played a bad match.

Q. It seems that you don’t care, but do you notice that your direct
rivals respect you less ?
A. What I notice is that I was at a worse level [than them]. IT’s not
that they have more confidence that they’ll be able to stay with me. In
Doha, when I was so close to winning, I didn’t have the necessary calm.
That’s what I need to get back.

Q. DO you prefer traditional clay or blue clay ?
A. I think that the Madrid tournament is a great in itself and that it
doesn’t need to change the color of the court to stand out. The clay
season, the most historic of the circuit, with Montecarlo, Barcelona and
Rome, is already short enough without having to change the color of the
surface.

Q. When the dates of the Magic Box approach, the rumors start as to
whether or not Nadal will play. Let’s say you win Montecarlo, Barcelona
and Rome. Will Madrid fall out of your calendar ?
A. It’s a question I can’t asnwer. The tournament is on my calendar, I
like to play in Madrid, but I should also recognize that going there
makes you lose rhythm.

Q. You often make references about not repeating past mistakes. Is
playing Madrid one of those errors you don’t want to repeat ?
A. Last year, I pushed the machine [his body] too much.

Q. Do you consider yourself less of a candidate for the RG crown this year ?
A. I’ve always said that the favorite is the one who wins the second
Sunday. Depending on what you do in previous weeks, you’re either more
or less the favorite. I don’t think anybody would’ve considered me the
number 1 in the bets if I hadn’t won numerous times before.

Q. What kind of reception do you expect from the French crowds, who
vigorously celebrated your last defeat against Soderling in Paris ?
A. After that experience, I played against Tsonga in Bercy and the crowd
behaved very well. I feel very embraced in Paris, maybe not on center
court in a tournament like Roland Garros, which has made me great and
which means so much, but definitely on the streets. I just think that I
won there four years in a row and they want new faces. I’m motivated to
arrive well there and repeat a victory.

Q. Has Federer had a burden lifted with his coronation at RG ?
A. What’s going on is that he’s at a high level and he has the advantage
of having achieved everything, with the consequent extra of calm that
the rest of us don’t have. RG has given him, basically, a mental
stability and has taken the pressure off.

Q. Did his title in Paris have to do with his triumph over you in Madrid ?
A. What helped him, aside from the fact that he was the most consistent
during those two weeks, is that Djokovic and I lost early. We had been
the two best on clay, with finals in Montecarlo, Rome and the infamous
Madrid semifinal. After that match, and with the way my knees were, I
died, I was in no place to fight for that final.

Q. There were some published statements of your uncle’s saying that
maybe he’d made a mistake with the switching of hands from right to
left, and that for that reason you don’t serve as well as others.
A. I don’t know what Toni said, but it’s outrageous to say or even think
that someone who has won 6 Grand Slams, 15 Masters 1,000 and 36 titles
has problems with handed-ness. It is possible that I would serve better
right-handed because my coordination with that hand is far greater.

Q. Are you still afraid of the dark ?
A. Yes, I have been since I was small. Wherever I am, I always sleep
with the TV on.

Q. When you look in the mirror, do you recognize the young man who first
put a headband on to play the Junior World championship ?
A. I see the same person. Unfortunately a few years older, but the same
in everything else.

Q. Have you been able to go see Pau Gasol in LA ?
A. I’d love to attend a lakers game live. For the team itself and also
for Pau. But our agendas don’t match. If I had ever lost in the early
rounds, surely I would have gone.

Q. You also have some famous friends in the Madrid locker room, like
Raul Gonzales or Cristiano Ronaldo. What do they tell you about the
team’s situation ?
A. I haven’t had much of an opportunity to talk to them, but they had a
bad match in Lyon and a bad second half at Bernabéu. You could tell
there was anxiety and we were eliminated. But the reality is that Madrid
is playing better than at the beginning of the season, and we have to
give credit to Pellegrini for that. It’s a tough blow to lose six times
in a row, especially with the final being at home. Now what’s needed is
calm and confidence in the team and in the coach.

Q. What do you think of the hype stirred up by Tiger Woods’ infidelities
and of his press conference asking for forgiveness ?
A. The first thing I think is that society is in a bad way. All of us,
starting with the sports press, should judge Tiger as an athlete. Not
even going to talk about the other type of press. His private life is
his and no one else’s. In any case, he should give explanations to his
family. It’s funny because now many of those who criticized him want him
to come back because they need him.

Q. You’ve always shown great admiration towards him.
A. And I still do because he’s an exemplary athlete. I love how he faces
pressure. His face reflects the decisiveness he possesses in the key
moments.

Q. This is your 8th season on the circuit. Will you keep playing when
you’re 33, like Moya ?
A. I definitely don’t see myself playing at 33.

Q. And when the day of farewell comes, how would you like to be
remembered by the fans ?
A. I’d like to be remembered as a good person. You can ask around in
Manacor, everybody knows me there and I go out where I always did. My
life there has not changed. Outside of Spain, it has.

Q. Do you still plan to pursue golf professionally when you hang up your
racket ?
A. I want to play golf, yes, but to have fun. What I don’t want to do is
travel from place to place.

Q. You’ve had a new house in Porto Cristo for almost a year. I suppose
you have a room for all your trophies.
A. [laughs] The house is my parents’, and yes, in my room, I have a bed,
a sofa, a TV, and almost all my trophies.

ahonkan

Mar 24, 2010, 6:28:27 AM3/24/10
On Mar 24, 2:59 pm, TT <n...@email.org> wrote:

Thanks TT for the wondeful interview.
Rafa is transparently honest and a
great guy. Let's hope he gets back
to his best level.
His answer to the Tiger Woods
question is just perfect.

SliceAndDice

Mar 24, 2010, 7:33:45 AM3/24/10
> about this. In Doha, against Davydenko, I was playing the match of my ...
>
> read more »

Great interview, thanks.

Rodjk #613

Mar 24, 2010, 9:02:57 AM3/24/10

What an excellent interview. Class by both the interviewer and by
Nadal.
I particularly like this:

Q. And when the day of farewell comes, how would you like to be
remembered by the fans ?
A. I’d like to be remembered as a good person. You can ask around in
Manacor, everybody knows me there and I go out where I always did. My
life there has not changed. Outside of Spain, it has.

Its a shame that, like Federer, such a classy person has some truly
classless fans.

Rodjk #613

TT

Mar 24, 2010, 9:16:39 AM3/24/10
Rodjk #613 wrote:

> Its a shame that, like Federer, such a classy person has some truly
> classless fans.
>
> Rodjk #613

The irony meter just exploded.

ahonkan

Mar 24, 2010, 10:14:25 AM3/24/10

You will do well to take it easy
once in a while. You don't have to
take shots at everyone all the time.
Be gracious like Rafa and accept
that you may not be right every time.

Sakari Lund

Mar 24, 2010, 10:27:19 AM3/24/10
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:59:31 +0200, TT <n...@email.org> wrote:

>Someone translated all this from Spanish article at Marca newspaper.
>This should fill in the lack of talking points for a while...

Thanks. Nothing especially interesting, but nice little details. And a
general feeling that he is simply a good guy.

topspin

Mar 24, 2010, 11:54:21 AM3/24/10
On 24 Mar, 09:59, TT <n...@email.org> wrote:

Thanks for posting. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. A thoroughly nice
young man.

Patrick Kehoe

Mar 24, 2010, 12:15:19 PM3/24/10
> about this. In Doha, against Davydenko, I was playing the match of my ...
>
> read more »

++ Thanks TT... a FANTASTIC interview... Nadal is a great guy, if this
interview is any real indicator and it certainly seems like it...

felangey

Ted S.

Mar 24, 2010, 1:27:02 PM3/24/10

I figured you were the one who translated it:

<http://yle.fi/urheilu/lajit/golf/2010/03/nyt_puhuu_nadal_ihailen_edelleen_woodsia_1554081.html>

:-)

--
Ted Schuerzinger
tedstennis at myrealbox dot com

Sakari Lund

Mar 24, 2010, 2:15:17 PM3/24/10
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:27:02 -0400, "Ted S."
<tedst...@myrealbox.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 16:27:19 +0200, Sakari Lund wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:59:31 +0200, TT <n...@email.org> wrote:
>>
>>>Someone translated all this from Spanish article at Marca newspaper.
>>>This should fill in the lack of talking points for a while...
>>
>> Thanks. Nothing especially interesting, but nice little details. And a
>> general feeling that he is simply a good guy.
>
>I figured you were the one who translated it:
>
><http://yle.fi/urheilu/lajit/golf/2010/03/nyt_puhuu_nadal_ihailen_edelleen_woodsia_1554081.html>
>
>:-)

I didn't do that. We have a young guy, who is quite interested in
tennis. I think he did that. In recent days he has done a story about
the problems of Roland Garros and a Miami preview for example.

Raja, The Great

Mar 24, 2010, 2:20:35 PM3/24/10

I have always maintained he is a nice kid. After Federer, he is my
second favorite current player in ATP

Manco

Mar 24, 2010, 3:07:09 PM3/24/10
Key points:

* he admits subconsciously he's scared of the knees and he is probably
not giving is max level
* he said Federer winning RG has freed him mentaly in a way that
nobody else on the ATP has
* makes excuse for Madrid loss
* admires Tiger Woods's focus on the course
* admits he won't play into his 30s

Obviously the key point is the first - he's afraid of going to MAX
level because of the knees.

Superdave

Mar 24, 2010, 10:03:21 PM3/24/10

he's an arrogant cunt for calling himself GREAT.

that is *not* modest.

Superdave

Mar 24, 2010, 10:04:03 PM3/24/10

gracious is calling yourself GREAT?

Superdave

Mar 24, 2010, 10:04:32 PM3/24/10

a good guy who calls *himself* GREAT?

Superdave

Mar 24, 2010, 10:06:10 PM3/24/10
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 08:54:21 -0700 (PDT), topspin <goolag...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On 24 Mar, 09:59, TT <n...@email.org> wrote:
>
>Thanks for posting. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. A thoroughly nice
>young man.

An ARROGANT self centered young man who calls *himself GREAT* no ?

Superdave

Mar 24, 2010, 10:05:26 PM3/24/10

He called *himself* GREAT you realize that don't you ?

Where is the *outrage* ?

Superdave

Mar 24, 2010, 10:07:14 PM3/24/10

i told you all this a YEAR ago !

what do you think i meant when i said his knees are in his head ?

he's fucked.

Ali Asoag

Mar 24, 2010, 11:06:52 PM3/24/10
On 3/24/2010 5:33 AM, SliceAndDice wrote:
> Great interview, thanks.

Nadal interestingly admitted he is a clay courter.

Manco

Mar 24, 2010, 11:37:59 PM3/24/10
Yeah Dave was a prophet on this one.

TT

Mar 25, 2010, 6:26:38 AM3/25/10

Funny, I didn't even notice that part, it sounded all natural.

How about the part where he says that fed won fo because djoks and rafa
lost early?

TT

Mar 25, 2010, 6:29:32 AM3/25/10

He said FO made him great, and it did since people don't win 4 in row
that often.
Moreover it may have been to make French feel better about him...your
tournament made me what I am...

Or, it could have been different in Spanish.

TT

Mar 25, 2010, 6:31:20 AM3/25/10

Okay. let it be so.

But Roger is much more arrogant cunt for calling himself legend and
complimenting his talent. Happy now?

felangey

Mar 25, 2010, 8:32:55 AM3/25/10
> But Roger is much more arrogant cunt for calling himself legend and
> complimenting his talent. Happy now?

He didn't compliment his talent wee man, he said he was 'certainly a very
talented player'. He is.

felangey

Mar 25, 2010, 8:42:36 AM3/25/10
> How about the part where he says that fed won fo because djoks and rafa
> lost early?

Yeah, that was a real hoot.....taking it's cues from rst logic. What was
even funnier was the way he had to tack on the end about the Madrid loss. He
was tired, "the way my kness were".....etc. Classy.

No harm, no foul though wee man. He still comes across for the most part as
a nice young chap.

TT

Mar 25, 2010, 10:33:44 AM3/25/10
felangey wrote:
>> How about the part where he says that fed won fo because djoks and
>> rafa lost early?
>
> Yeah, that was a real hoot.....taking it's cues from rst logic.

Said it exactly as I have said numerous times. He knows his tennis.

TT

Mar 25, 2010, 10:34:46 AM3/25/10
felangey wrote:
>> But Roger is much more arrogant cunt for calling himself legend and
>> complimenting his talent. Happy now?
>
> He didn't compliment his talent wee man,

Yes he did, felony.

felangey

Mar 25, 2010, 10:59:11 AM3/25/10
>He knows his tennis.<

So when he said, "Fed is at a different level than me (I'd change myself for
him )", you are akin to agree with him, becasuse he know his tennis, right?

So that's that then.

TT

Mar 25, 2010, 12:45:37 PM3/25/10

That was of course only an empty compliment.

Sakari Lund

Mar 25, 2010, 12:46:51 PM3/25/10

Yes, and it sounds natural for most of us when Fed says the same. But
you always make huge drama of it. I think they are both allowed to say
that.

ahonkan

Mar 25, 2010, 3:22:26 PM3/25/10

But sadly it doesn't follow that you do. If you predict Rafa
will win everything and if he wins something somewhere,
that doesn't make you a great prognosticator. That means
you got lucky. Same here.

ahonkan

Mar 25, 2010, 3:25:47 PM3/25/10

TT makes a great Don Quixote. Unintentionally funny,
seriously deluded and always picking up unwinnable fights
viz tilting at the Fed windmills.

TT

Mar 25, 2010, 5:40:55 PM3/25/10

That's one way to answer, but not related to this discussion in any way.

It's obvious Federer benefited from Nadal and Djoks bombing out early,
it has nothing to do with predictions but rather something that happened
already.