Weakest Period of WTA?

1 view

Luke Tang

Oct 16, 2010, 12:42:30 PM10/16/10
OSAKA, Japan - Kimiko Date Krumm and Tamarine Tanasugarn chalked up
another victory for veterans in Osaka on Saturday, surprising two of
the Top 20 players in the world to reach the final of the HP Open.
With a combined age of 73 years, it is the oldest known final in Sony
Ericsson WTA Tour history.

Tanasugarn was the first of the two to advance, upsetting No.2 seed
Marion Bartoli, 62 75. After Tanasugarn took the first set handily,
they stayed on serve through 5-all in the second set; the Thai, 33,
broke for 6-5 then served it out.

A day after stunning No.1 seed Samantha Stosur in a near-three hour
duel, No.6 seed Date Krumm pulled off another upset, this time over No.
3 seed Shahar Peer, winning in two hours and 58 minutes, 36 76(5) 75.
Peer led 63 20 and served for it at 63 54, but the 40-year-old Date
Krumm kept fighting and eventually wore her 23-year-old opponent,
ranked a career-high No.13, down.

Inglourious Basterd

Oct 16, 2010, 1:57:06 PM10/16/10

Women's tennis is a joke. This has been well known for some years now.

topspin

Oct 16, 2010, 4:18:01 PM10/16/10
On Oct 16, 5:42 pm, Luke Tang <ginz...@gmail.com> wrote:

I don't think results this time of year mean too much. When Davenport
came back in 2007 she roared through this part of the season, only to
be brought to face reality at the AO.

Luke Tang

Oct 16, 2010, 4:19:56 PM10/16/10
On Oct 16, 10:57 am, Inglourious Basterd

Nowadays the top 10 women (barring Serena) can lose to anyone at any
time.

John Doe

Oct 16, 2010, 4:42:20 PM10/16/10
Luke Tang <ginzton gmail.com> wrote:

> OSAKA, Japan - Kimiko Date Krumm and Tamarine Tanasugarn chalked
> up another victory for veterans in Osaka on Saturday, surprising
> two of the Top 20 players in the world to reach the final of the
> HP Open. With a combined age of 73 years, it is the oldest known
> final in Sony Ericsson WTA Tour history.

Well, for whatever reason, the top women did not play. So
naturally there are going to be lower ranked winners.

Pelle Svanslös

Oct 16, 2010, 5:03:59 PM10/16/10

It's a real competitive hell.

--
"Another opponent, exhausted and thin!
Is bludgeoned to death by endurance and spin."

Sakari Lund

Oct 17, 2010, 3:57:41 PM10/17/10

For the reson that it was a small event, and the top players are
getting ready for YEC.

But this was a fun event for the history books. A 40-year old and a
33-year old in a final. Too bad Kimiko didn't win it, having won
better players before the final.

Yama

Oct 17, 2010, 9:21:38 PM10/17/10
Sakari Lund <sakar...@welho.com> wrote:
: For the reson that it was a small event, and the top players are
: getting ready for YEC.

: But this was a fun event for the history books. A 40-year old and a
: 33-year old in a final. Too bad Kimiko didn't win it, having won
: better players before the final.

I guess two gruelling 3-set matches before the finals had something to do with
it...apparently the finals featured several medical time-outs, probably they
were both cramping.

Oh, and Schnyder, who is 31, was in the Linz final. It's back in the '90s!

GOYLE

Oct 18, 2010, 6:07:47 AM10/18/10
On Oct 17, 8:21 pm, Yama <tj...@NOSPAMpajuoulu.fi> wrote:

2010 and coming 2011 will be a weak period in the WTA. Not good.

Sakari Lund

Oct 18, 2010, 7:00:42 AM10/18/10

And Yama back in rst too!

Yama

Oct 18, 2010, 11:29:10 AM10/18/10
Sakari Lund <sakar...@welho.com> wrote:
: On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 01:21:38 +0000 (UTC), Yama
: <tj...@NOSPAMpajuoulu.fi> wrote:
: >Oh, and Schnyder, who is 31, was in the Linz final. It's back in the '90s!

: And Yama back in rst too!

See, the '90s trend continues. Btw apparently Muster got a wild card to Vienna.
Could it be...?

Anyways, I never left, there was a glitch in the news server for some months
that my posts didn't go anywhere. I was posting very little anyways so took
some time to notice that nobody seemed to reply my posts anymore...

Pelle Svanslös

Oct 18, 2010, 11:43:47 AM10/18/10
Yama wrote:
> Sakari Lund <sakar...@welho.com> wrote:
> : On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 01:21:38 +0000 (UTC), Yama
> : <tj...@NOSPAMpajuoulu.fi> wrote:
> : >Oh, and Schnyder, who is 31, was in the Linz final. It's back in the '90s!
>
> : And Yama back in rst too!
>
> See, the '90s trend continues. Btw apparently Muster got a wild card to Vienna.
> Could it be...?

Has Muster accepted the WC?

There was a news item a while ago that Muster was offered a WC but it
was not known whether he had taken it.

And Vienna is indoors? Ouch, he's 1-6 in clay challengers ...

TT

Oct 18, 2010, 3:20:20 PM10/18/10
Pelle Svansl�s wrote:
> Yama wrote:
>> Sakari Lund <sakar...@welho.com> wrote:
>> : On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 01:21:38 +0000 (UTC), Yama
>> : <tj...@NOSPAMpajuoulu.fi> wrote:
>> : >Oh, and Schnyder, who is 31, was in the Linz final. It's back in
>> the '90s!
>>
>> : And Yama back in rst too!
>>
>> See, the '90s trend continues. Btw apparently Muster got a wild card
>> to Vienna.
>> Could it be...?
>>

> Has Muster accepted the WC?
>
> There was a news item a while ago that Muster was offered a WC but it
> was not known whether he had taken it.
>
> And Vienna is indoors? Ouch, he's 1-6 in clay challengers ...

Muster also is scheduled to practice with Nadal during off-season I
believe. King of clay will beat king of clay like never before...

--
"I am no more a witch than you are a wizard, and if you take away my
life God will give you blood to drink"

Pelle Svanslös

Oct 18, 2010, 4:14:02 PM10/18/10
TT wrote:
> Pelle Svansl�s wrote:
>> Yama wrote:
>>> Sakari Lund <sakar...@welho.com> wrote:
>>> : On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 01:21:38 +0000 (UTC), Yama
>>> : <tj...@NOSPAMpajuoulu.fi> wrote:
>>> : >Oh, and Schnyder, who is 31, was in the Linz final. It's back in
>>> the '90s!
>>>
>>> : And Yama back in rst too!
>>>
>>> See, the '90s trend continues. Btw apparently Muster got a wild card
>>> to Vienna.
>>> Could it be...?
>>>

>> Has Muster accepted the WC?
>>
>> There was a news item a while ago that Muster was offered a WC but it
>> was not known whether he had taken it.
>>
>> And Vienna is indoors? Ouch, he's 1-6 in clay challengers ...
>>

> Muster also is scheduled to practice with Nadal during off-season I
> believe. King of clay will beat king of clay like never before...

Bleeping awesome. I'd like to see them practising ...