I have to give some credit to Fed's coach.

wkhedr

Nov 28, 2010, 4:52:17 PM11/28/10
Federer's level of play in the last few tournaments was a great
progress and big change to restore his own key weapons, get back his
aggressive game, and restore his confidence.

The only thing that I want to improve is his fear when he is in a
volley position, he is afraid waiting for the ball to come to him,
instead of trying to take it in the highest position by rushing
forward.

He lost two critical points today that were forehands volleys, they
were difficult but they would have been easier had he tried to move
forward,

uly...@mscomm.com

Nov 28, 2010, 4:59:35 PM11/28/10
I agree. It's too bad he didn't bring on Annacone in the Spring,
because then he wouldn't have choked against Djoker in the USO semis.
It has taken Annacone a couple of months to work his magic, but in
this match, his influence clearly was shown. It's a pity Fed didn't
have Annacone in his box years ago. His H2H against Rafa wouldn't have
been so bad.

CloudsRest

Nov 28, 2010, 9:12:49 PM11/28/10

Well, it'd be one or two matches better. One major, perhaps another
minor final. 10-12. If the coach can change the clay h2h, that would
really be something. Do you think he could have devised different
strategies for Fed to win on clay vs. Nadal?

SliceAndDice

Nov 28, 2010, 9:15:52 PM11/28/10

At this stage in his career, I think Fed should stop worrying about
besting Nadal on clay. Not going to happen, and he has already won
Roland Garros. He should concentrate on Wimbledon/US/AO.

Shakes

Nov 28, 2010, 9:32:19 PM11/28/10

IMO, it would've been 2 matches better (and 2 slams) - Wim 2008 and AO
2009. That's huge.

uly...@mscomm.com

Nov 28, 2010, 10:14:45 PM11/28/10
Exactly. Those were the two matches that instantly come to mind. His
passive play at the AO that year bordered on the "terrified" against
Rafa. There's still no excuse he lost that match, especially since
Rafa played that 5 hour marathon against Verdasco 2 days before.

felangey

Nov 28, 2010, 10:22:11 PM11/28/10

I think that detracts from perhaps Nadal's greatest victory. He had no
'right' to win that match.

CloudsRest

Nov 28, 2010, 11:22:21 PM11/28/10

Maybe, but that's taking too much credit away from Nadal. Even with
Anna's Cones, Nadal probably still wins at least one of the two. But
the overall h2h is still based on the surface split slanted towards
clay, so even if the current coach was in his box back then it
wouldn't have altered the clay results much.