Federer's backhand...

1 view

Manuel aka Xax

Nov 28, 2010, 2:06:36 PM11/28/10
has been truly amazing in the first set.

Something has changed, I'm not sure of what it is, the way he handles
his racket, starting his move a bit earlier.
Congrats to Annacone if that's the result of his work, and to Fed for
having worked hard enough to dare play such BH in a big match.

Federer's first set was very very impressive, hopefully for Nadal Fed
a sloppy serve game early in the second.
From wich Rafa build up his ability to never give up a match.
I wasn't expecting such gameplan from Federer, and was delighted with
the way he played.

2/1 Federer in the third set, Nadal to serve.
Excellent match so far, by the way :-) !

Shakes

Nov 28, 2010, 2:08:34 PM11/28/10

When the bounce is not too high, Fed's BH has always been a great
shot. Remember his matches at the YEC in 2006-2007 against Nadal ?
Like I said, it's the bounce that affects him more than anything.

Ali Asoag

Nov 28, 2010, 2:09:58 PM11/28/10
On 11/28/2010 12:06 PM, Manuel aka Xax wrote:
> has been truly amazing in the first set.

Yes.

> Something has changed, I'm not sure of what it is, the way he handles
> his racket, starting his move a bit earlier.
> Congrats to Annacone if that's the result of his work, and to Fed for
> having worked hard enough to dare play such BH in a big match.

He is just taking the ball earlier!

Ali Asoag

Nov 28, 2010, 2:11:03 PM11/28/10

But there is a way to cope with that high bounce: Taking the ball on the
rise!

Shakes

Nov 28, 2010, 2:15:42 PM11/28/10

That's not always possible, esp because most of Nadal's high bouncing
shots hit the court just beyond the service lines and jump up to
shoulder height at the baseline.

uly...@mscomm.com

Nov 28, 2010, 2:19:33 PM11/28/10
I watched in person the exo at Indian Wells between Pete/Rafa and
Agassi/Fed. Agassi effortlessly handled Rafa's high spins, but of
course, Andre has the two-hander.

Ali Asoag

Nov 28, 2010, 2:20:04 PM11/28/10

You can observe Fed playing the BH's now. You will see it. He is taking
the ball earlier!

Ali Asoag

Nov 28, 2010, 2:21:03 PM11/28/10

Agassi is a two-hander, yes. But he is known for taking the ball very early.

Manuel aka Xax

Nov 28, 2010, 2:21:56 PM11/28/10

I think so too, yet I bet he has changed something in the way he
prepares this BH.
I can't remember Federer going for such angles, as the ones we saw in
the first set; such shots even with Federer incredible wrist
flexibility are hardly possible without changing a bit the angle of
your racket.

Shakes

Nov 28, 2010, 2:24:00 PM11/28/10

It appears earlier but it's because it doesn't get up as high. He's
able to take it at waist height even when standing at the baseline.

Ali Asoag

Nov 28, 2010, 2:28:30 PM11/28/10

And you could see, he was playing his BH's most of the time to Nadal's
FH side. Fed used to fear Nadal's FH side and used to play his BH DTL,
which is too little pressure normally. Only when he can execute, he
should use the BH DTL shot.

felangey

Nov 28, 2010, 2:56:28 PM11/28/10
>It appears earlier but it's because it doesn't get up as high. He's
able to take it at waist height even when standing at the baseline.<

In the first set he hit a backhand crosscourt winner from above his head out
wide. Nadal's face was a picture! :)

topspin

Nov 28, 2010, 4:14:50 PM11/28/10

To his great credit Henman pointed out before the match that the lower
bounce would help Federer on the backhand side. It was noticeable how
he was able to be agressive with the backhand in this match.

Scott

Nov 28, 2010, 4:22:02 PM11/28/10
> he was able to be agressive with the backhand in this match.-

he has always had to vs. Rafa, but now he seems to understand that
more.

wkhedr

Nov 28, 2010, 4:28:11 PM11/28/10

Another factor today was Federer waiting for any short ball and
attacking it on the rise for a winner.

kaennorsing

Nov 28, 2010, 4:47:33 PM11/28/10

I don't think he changed his technique at all. He was in good form and
took the ball early. Fed's always been a master in taking the ball
early. He's got this incredible reflex-ability to use the incoming
pace - especially on the backhand. So I always thought Fed should step
in much, much closer when returning Rafa's serve, to take more risk,
keep points shorter and rush Rafa, not give him the bloody rhythm.
So... that's what he did pretty well today.