Common swimming terms in different languages please...

jta...@nospam.hfx.andara.com

Oct 26, 2006, 4:44:01 AM10/26/06
For a quiz - if you are familiar enough with a language other than
english, please post the translations of the following terms:

Freestyle
Backstroke
Breaststroke
Butterfly
Race
Win
Go fast
World Record

André, PE1PQX

Oct 27, 2006, 8:11:18 AM10/27/06
jta...@NOSPAM.hfx.andara.com schreef :

> For a quiz - if you are familiar enough with a language other than
> english, please post the translations of the following terms:

Freestyle - Vrije slag
Backstroke - rugslag
Breaststroke - borstslag (commonly know as 'schoolslag')
Butterfly - vlinderslag
Race - wedstrijd
Win - winnen (as to win)
Go fast - snel
World Record wereld record

the translations are in Dutch.

Good luck

André

--
(\__/)
( o.O) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into

Luka Djigas

Oct 27, 2006, 10:37:02 AM10/27/06
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 14:11:18 +0200, André, PE1PQX
<pe1pqx_g...@planet.nl> wrote:

Freestyle - slobodni stil
Backstroke - ledni
Breaststroke - prsni
Butterfly - leptir
Race - utrka
Win - pobjeda; To win - pobjedivati
Go fast - ici brzo
World Record - svjetski rekord

The translations are in Croatian.

Luka Djigas

jta...@nospam.hfx.andara.com

Oct 27, 2006, 11:55:09 AM10/27/06

Thanks - so far I have Mandarin, Spanish, French, Dutch, Croation,
Icelandic & Russian.

Rick

Oct 27, 2006, 2:30:17 PM10/27/06

Here are the terms in German:

Freistil(schwimmen)
Brust(schwimmen)
Rücken(schwimmen)
Schmetterling(schwimmen)
Rennen
Sieg; to win: gewinnen
(schwimm) schnell
Weltrekord

Is it too much too ask why you are interested in this quiz? And what
about IM?

Markku Stenborg ®

Oct 27, 2006, 4:38:59 PM10/27/06
On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 08:44:01 GMT, jta...@NOSPAM.hfx.andara.com wrote:

> For a quiz - if you are familiar enough with a language other than
> english, please post the translations of the following terms:
>
> Freestyle

vapaauinti

> Backstroke

selkäuinti

> Breaststroke

rintauinti

> Butterfly

perhosuinti or perhonen

> Race

kilpailu (substantive), kilpailla (verb)

> Win

voitto (substantive), voittaa (verb)

> Go fast

mennä lujaa / mennä kovaa

> World Record

maailmanennätys

And this was Finnish.
--
Markku Stenborg
znexxh.fgrao...@rgyn.sv

Silver0l

Oct 27, 2006, 6:07:50 PM10/27/06
<jta...@NOSPAM.hfx.andara.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
k7t0k2p1erh0qi8ka...@4ax.com...

> For a quiz - if you are familiar enough with a language other than
> english, please post the translations of the following terms:
>

> Freestyle / nage libre
> Backstroke / dos
> Breaststroke / brasse
> Butterfly / papillon
> Race / course
> Win / gagner
> Go fast / aller vite
> World Record / record du monde

Eh! It's shorter in French than in English. Quite unusual...

-- Olivier

Duncan Heenan

Oct 28, 2006, 5:14:10 AM10/28/06
Here are the English English translations (as opposed to the American
English) :

>>Freestyle - It's your choice old chap, I don't wish to interfere.
>>Backstroke - After you old boy.
>>Breaststroke - Sorry madam, I do apologise.
>>Butterfly - Are you sure that's allowed in here?
>>Race - Gosh! Have they started already?.
>>Win - (There is no English English word for this)
>>Go fast - That's a bit un-sporting isn't it?
>>World Record - Australian timing

Use of the above terms will make you feel completely at home in any English
swimming club.

jta...@nospam.hfx.andara.com

Oct 28, 2006, 6:24:34 AM10/28/06

Thanks.

No, it's not too much.

Quiz is for the kids I coach. We have a number of them with other
langiuages as a mother tongue, and I wished to surprise them with
their own language as an advantage in the quiz; the more langauges I
get, the better I will be prepared for the next kid from outer
where-ever.

ezio.br...@virgilio.it

Nov 16, 2006, 4:03:46 AM11/16/06
it seems to me that italian is missing ;-))

now I can try ti help you:

> Freestyle -- stile libero
> Backstroke -- dorso
> Breaststroke -- rana
> Butterfly -- two terms: farfalla or delfino
> Race -- gara
> Win -- vince
> Go fast -- va veloce
> World Record -- record del mondo

I hope that all is good
by
e.

Nelson

Nov 16, 2006, 1:27:31 PM11/16/06

jta...@NOSPAM.hfx.andara.com escreveu:

> For a quiz - if you are familiar enough with a language other than
> english, please post the translations of the following terms:

Brazilian portuguese