(Non-Euros/SAs Only) How did you become a lover of football?

Victoria Barrett

Jan 6, 2004, 7:14:59 PM1/6/04
Some nations are lucky, but even more so, some continents.

Europe, and South America both seemed steeped in footballing history
because of the large migration between these two continents so early on.

It's not surprising then that citizens from European and South American
countries love football -- the very air one breathes is permeated with
it.

But in other countries, say an USA, a Canada, an Australia, an India,
and to a degree, a South Africa, etc. etc., the stories of how men and
women came to love our sport must be extremely interesting because it's
as popular a sport as elsewhere.

- So to these non-Euros and South Americans, how did your love of
football begin?

- What is the craziest thing you've ever done in connexion with catching
a match or in some way related to football?

- In your observation within your lifetime, have your fellow
non-football loving citizens increased, decreased, or had their interest
in football stay the same?

- Are your children or other family mmebers into soccer as well, or not
so much?

Everyone in this world, as they say, has a story. And I suspect RSS'ers
are no different. :)

Richard H.

Jan 6, 2004, 7:55:10 PM1/6/04
In article
<605fd56a6cbdf28e6c5...@mygate.mailgate.org>,
"Victoria Barrett" <victorias...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> - So to these non-Euros and South Americans, how did your love of
> football begin?

WC '94. usa v. colombia.

> - What is the craziest thing you've ever done in connexion with catching
> a match or in some way related to football?

how about attempting to learn another language? or bribing the stewards
to let me look around inside anfield? hell, most of my countrymen
thought i was nuts because i got up in the middle of the night to watch
WC '02 matches at crew stadium.

> - In your observation within your lifetime, have your fellow
> non-football loving citizens increased, decreased, or had their interest
> in football stay the same?

i would say increased, but i do live in an mls city. the influx of
mexicans has played its part as well.

> - Are your children or other family mmebers into soccer as well, or not
> so much?

most of 'em are willing to go to a crew game and see what it's all
about, but soccer is still way down on their list of favorite sports.

-richard

Kwame

Jan 6, 2004, 8:57:43 PM1/6/04

"Victoria Barrett" <victorias...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> Some nations are lucky, but even more so, some continents.
>
> Europe, and South America both seemed steeped in footballing history
> because of the large migration between these two continents so early on.
>
> It's not surprising then that citizens from European and South American
> countries love football -- the very air one breathes is permeated with
> it.
>
> But in other countries, say an USA, a Canada, an Australia, an India,
> and to a degree, a South Africa, etc. etc., the stories of how men and
> women came to love our sport must be extremely interesting because it's
> as popular a sport as elsewhere.
>
> - So to these non-Euros and South Americans, how did your love of
> football begin?

VB, I don't understand your post. There are very few countries in Africa
where football is not #1, therefore I cannot say, for eg in Ghana, how we
*came* to love the sport. Football is life in Ghana as in many other
African countries

In terms of popularity, boxing and athletics are 2nd and 3rd in Ghana. In
Cote d'Ivoire, it's handball, athletics or volleyball, not necessarily in
that order

Kenya is the only African country I've visited where football is not that
big; iirc their sports news begun with rugby, cricket, then "soccer".

kwame

Rank Amateur

Jan 6, 2004, 9:36:47 PM1/6/04
Victoria Barrett wrote:

> - So to these non-Euros and South Americans, how did your love of
> football begin?

Needed something to do when it's not hockey season, and where I grew up
they didn't play lacrosse. Soccer was the next closest thing to hockey.

Well, also the school soccer team was a bunch of pot-smoking partyhounds
which had it's attractions as well.

> - What is the craziest thing you've ever done in connexion with catching
> a match or in some way related to football?

Hmm, did I mention my teammates the pot-smoking partyhounds? That's
about all, I was never a "die-hard" for the sport, still amn't.

> - In your observation within your lifetime, have your fellow
> non-football loving citizens increased, decreased, or had their interest
> in football stay the same?

Definitely increased. It was practically avante garde when I started
playing and we were all required to wear berets. (Ok I made that last
part up.) Northern Michigan is NOT soccer country.

> - Are your children or other family mmebers into soccer as well, or not
> so much?

No, and my kid's only 2 so cut her some slack. But she's more of a
clay/sandbox/scissors type than the run-around-kicking-things-or-people
type.

> Everyone in this world, as they say, has a story. And I suspect RSS'ers
> are no different. :)

Well, sure I've got a story about somebody else's car, a bridge
collapsing, leaving the scene without a trace, but it's not soccer
related. Besides, if I told you I'd have to ... you know.

-- kov

NewcastleyCelticFan

Jan 6, 2004, 11:42:15 PM1/6/04

I am American and grew up in a soccer MAD town in the state of Illinois, 10
minutes from downtown St. Louis, Missouri. We won 9 of 18 state high school
championships during my youth, my brother even played keeper for one of the
teams. SO, in our town you loved soccer, you had no choice. For a period of
about 7-8 years or so i'd drift away from the game I grew up loving except for
the world cup(s)....but when FSW started giving me an oppurtunity to watch
soccer from around the world on a regular basis three years ago...I
re-discovered my love of the game. I've been mad about it again ever since.
Being from the St.Louis area it is hard to get people to pay attention to any
professional soccer...but they still do love their high school soccer. You
can't convince a bunch of guys who wactch professional "Football" in a redneck
town to watch top intl. atheletes, without them calling the players a bunch of
"yard faries", *sigh*..they'll just never know.....but unless the U.S. INTL.
team is winning, basically most I'd say 75% of Americans don't care whats going
on in pro soccer...Finally talking my brother, who is a high school keeper
coach for pete's sake, to finally start watching the EPL, and France's League
1, etc on FSW has gotten his passion for the pro game reignited as well, and we
are making plans well in advance to travel to Germany for 2006.
Slainte'
Mike

naniwadekar

Jan 7, 2004, 1:20:22 AM1/7/04

"Victoria Barrett" wrote -

> - What is the craziest thing you've ever done in connexion with catching
> a match or in some way related to football?

I have done many crazy things while following English Football
on the BBC World Service; but around 1995/96, it became
possible to watch some matches on ESPN and I was so
appalled by the quality of football that I thought to continue
to watch soccer would be crazier than anything I had done before.

I watched 1994 Brazil - Italy world cup final, from which both
teams should have been red-carded out by half-time, with a few
friends. A majority of them fell asleep and couldn't even make it
to the start of the match. Lucky souls! During the second-half,
a friend got up, watched the match for 10-12 minutes and
contemptuously told us wakeful diehards : 'You people must be
really very stupid to stay up all night to watch this rubbish.'
Then he added : 'Morons, go to sleep.' And then he went
to sleep himself but not before delivering the most accurate
and damning verdict on the match : 'Those 22 guys are just
doing time-pass.' McIlvanneys and Barclays (whose column
I love and still read regularly) may consume acres of column
inches but they don't speak truth that bluntly.

I still follow the scores before going to sleep on Saturdays
but there is nothing more boring in the world (except
Gridiron NFL ball and basketball) than football.

Victoria Barrett

Jan 7, 2004, 3:37:38 AM1/7/04
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 01:57:43 GMT, "Kwame"
<kwameintoronto...@rogers.com> wrote:

> VB, I don't understand your post.

I know, Kwams. :/

I knew the moment I posted that I had phrased it awkwardly. Basically
what I was trying to get were people other than Euros/South Americans
to post about how they fell into the whole soccer shebang, and since
of course Africa is potty about soccer, I didn't include you guys or
Asians in my post title.

I concentrated on South Africa in my question, since they have
competing sports of rugby and cricket though.

> There are very few countries in Africa
>where football is not #1, therefore I cannot say, for eg in Ghana, how we
>*came* to love the sport. Football is life in Ghana as in many other
>African countries

For sure!

>In terms of popularity, boxing and athletics are 2nd and 3rd in Ghana. In
>Cote d'Ivoire, it's handball, athletics or volleyball, not necessarily in
>that order
>
>Kenya is the only African country I've visited where football is not that
>big; iirc their sports news begun with rugby, cricket, then "soccer".

Absolutely. Also, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia etc.

I don't know much about Tanzania, other than it was once Zanzibar of
course. Wonder what legacy the Germans left behind regarding soccer.
Anyone have a little insight about them football-wise?

Myk Cameron

Jan 7, 2004, 4:07:03 AM1/7/04
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 03:37:38 -0500, Victoria Barrett
<vbar...@the-beach.net> wrote:

>I don't know much about Tanzania, other than it was once Zanzibar of
>course. Wonder what legacy the Germans left behind regarding soccer.

Zanzibar is an island on the Indian Ocean coast off Tanzania. Tanzania
as a country was formed by the union of the repulbics of Zanzibar and
Tanganyika (the continental part of Tanzania) in the mid-60s. Zanzibar
still retains a fair degree of autonomy IIRC.

German influence probably diminished a lot after WWI when German East
Africa was split up among Belgium, Britain and Portugal. Tanganyika
became a British mandate. Can't remember exactly when they got
independence, but certainly Tanganyika was one of the first 'new'
African nations.

>Anyone have a little insight about them football-wise?

Not much. Though I can add Zanzibar competes independently in some
competitions.

Myk

Myk Cameron

Jan 7, 2004, 4:14:25 AM1/7/04
On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 00:14:59 +0000 (UTC), "Victoria Barrett"
<victorias...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Some nations are lucky, but even more so, some continents.
>
>Europe, and South America both seemed steeped in footballing history
>because of the large migration between these two continents so early on.
>
>It's not surprising then that citizens from European and South American
>countries love football -- the very air one breathes is permeated with
>it.
>
>But in other countries, say an USA, a Canada, an Australia, an India,
>and to a degree, a South Africa, etc. etc., the stories of how men and
>women came to love our sport must be extremely interesting because it's
>as popular a sport as elsewhere.
>
>- So to these non-Euros and South Americans, how did your love of
>football begin?

You may not realise, but football (soccer) is actually the most
popular sport in New Zealand for boys up to about age 11 (girls tend
to play netball in winter). So it's hardly a surprise that many of us
have played the sport at some stage. After age 11 rugby tends to take
most of the more athletic players (hardly surprising, is it?). My love
of football followed that path too, and I gave up any competitive play
at around 13 or 14 and played rugby/cricket after that. Though I have
maintained an interest in football since then which many of my peers
have not.

>- In your observation within your lifetime, have your fellow
>non-football loving citizens increased, decreased, or had their interest
>in football stay the same?

Probably a bit less. Though my football-loving time began at the
height of NZ's international success (ie the 82 World Cup). As NZ has
faded, so has the popularity. Nowadays NZ would be lucky to get more
than a few thousand to attend an international at Albany.

>- Are your children or other family mmebers into soccer as well, or not
>so much?

My children are (see above) into playing, but not watching!

Myk

Mike Pitt

Jan 7, 2004, 4:59:42 AM1/7/04
In article <7ainvv82iu3v1rnbj...@4ax.com>,

Myk Cameron <a...@image.co.nz> wrote:
>German influence probably diminished a lot after WWI when German East
>Africa was split up among Belgium, Britain and Portugal. Tanganyika
>became a British mandate. Can't remember exactly when they got
>independence, but certainly Tanganyika was one of the first 'new'
>African nations.

Did a bit of Wikipediaing:
http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanganyika and
http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanzania

* 1922 Mandated by League of Nations to Britain
* 1946 "Trust Territory" of the UN under British control
* Dec 9 1961 Tanganyika independent
* Jun 9 1962 "Republic of Tangyika" formed
* Apr 26 1964 joined with Zanzibar to from Tanzania

Apropos of not much really I remember reading an article about the German
army in East Africa in WW1. It had a lot of local volunteers, and the
British were surprised that a largely African army tied up so many
Imperial troops (http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_East_Africa gives
the numbers as 14000 German troops occupied 300000 British. Using German
and British *very* widely). Was there a point to this meandering?

Oh something on topic: ELO says Tanzania played (and lost to) Uganda in
1947. How -- was there a concept of Tanzania before the country formed?
(The next game was July 1964 safely after independence and union).

Mike

Shawn Cady

Jan 7, 2004, 8:31:07 AM1/7/04

"Victoria Barrett" <victorias...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> - So to these non-Euros and South Americans, how did your love of
> football begin?

[Canada]

Playing the game, realizing I was good at it. Started kicking around when I
was 4 or so, but only really began to watch the game in 1989 (I was 10, and
my family had just moved to a Canuck military base in Germany). Strangely
enough, the majority of the games televised were from England.

> - What is the craziest thing you've ever done in connexion with catching
> a match or in some way related to football?

Missed numerous family gatherings with lame excuses. That's about it. Thank
G-d for VCRs.

Also: have actually paid cash money to watch the Montreal Impact play
"soccer".

> - In your observation within your lifetime, have your fellow
> non-football loving citizens increased, decreased, or had their interest
> in football stay the same?

Increased. Greater general exposure to the game, recent success of the
women's team, and (the biggest factor, IMO) Sportsnet.

> - Are your children or other family mmebers into soccer as well, or not
> so much?

I can convince my mother and sisters to sit through a game, but they're very
yappy. My dad is a hockey guy. (I know, shocking.)

-- Shawn

Shawn Cady

Jan 7, 2004, 8:33:55 AM1/7/04

"Myk Cameron" <a...@image.co.nz> wrote in message

> On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 00:14:59 +0000 (UTC), "Victoria Barrett"
> <victorias...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> You may not realise, but football (soccer) is actually the most
> popular sport in New Zealand for boys up to about age 11 (girls tend
> to play netball in winter). So it's hardly a surprise that many of us
> have played the sport at some stage.

I believe that this is true of almost every country in the world. I can't
think of a single primary or secondary school in Canada that doesn't have a
soccer team, and it's by far the most popular organized summer activity in
Quebec. (I'll let others speak for the rest of the country.)

-- Shawn

John Knapp

Jan 7, 2004, 9:29:09 AM1/7/04
U.S. boy starts playing on Long Island in the mid-70s, just as Pele
comes to America. Same old story.

boumtje brown

Jan 7, 2004, 10:11:53 AM1/7/04
<victorias...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>- So to these non-Euros and South Americans, how did your love of
>football begin?

i'm still kind of a casual fan but i became interested in football
when i moved to thailand..you should include asia with europe and
south america because people are football mad over here

also, most of my friends here are english (i'm australian, by the way)
so i spent quite a few nights watching live games in bars before i
started to get into it...

>- What is the craziest thing you've ever done in connexion with catching
>a match or in some way related to football?

nothing crazy...like i said i'm really only a casual fan...i follow
the results in the newspaper, read about it and catch a game or two on
Tv every week...but nothing crazy

>- In your observation within your lifetime, have your fellow
>non-football loving citizens increased, decreased, or had their interest
>in football stay the same?

N/A
thais and expats were football mad before i got here and i'm not sure
how the profile of the game has changed back home as i haven't spent
much time there over the last 6 years

>- Are your children or other family mmebers into soccer as well, or not
>so much?

my wife recently started betting on football....gambling's actually
illegal here but everyone does it anyway...my kids are too young (4
and 1) but the oldest does like to kick a ball around with me

mr.tim
----------------------------
www.rmhh.com
the rec.music.hiphop website
----------------------------
"One prince of the present time, whom it is not well to name, never preaches anything else but peace and good faith, and to both he is most hostile, and either, if he had kept it, would have deprived him of reputation and kingdom many a time."
Niccoli Machiavelli, The Prince: Concerning The Way In Which Princes Should Keep Faith, Florence, 1532

"You can fool some of the people all of the time and those are the ones you want to concentrate on."
George W. Bush, joking at a Gridiron Club dinner, Washington, D.C., March 2001

Stephen Halchuk

Jan 7, 2004, 10:09:14 AM1/7/04
"Victoria Barrett" <victorias...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:<605fd56a6cbdf28e6c5...@mygate.mailgate.org>...

> - So to these non-Euros and South Americans, how did your love of
> football begin?

For reference, I am Canadian (insert appropriate beer commercial
jingle here)

Summer 1982, just finished high school, trying to make some money to
go to university by painting the houses of neighbours. Stopped for a
break at lunch and turned the television on. I can't remember the
first WC82 game I saw (the main Canadian broadcaster CBC was
televising, I think it was probably a second round match) but I do
remember being transfixed by the drama that was the France West
Germany semi final. my lunch "hour" stretched out quite a bit over
this period.

> - What is the craziest thing you've ever done in connexion with catching
> a match or in some way related to football?

Crazy - maybe
memorable - definitely

Off the top of my head football related highlights include

1987 driving from Ottawa to Saint John, New Brunswick weekend roadtrip
(a roundtrip distance of 2000 km) to see Canada beat the US 2-0 in an
Olympic qualifier - they then manage to lose the return leg 3-0

1987 - Toronto FIFA U-17 WC Nigeria vs USSR - being surrounded by a
boisterous pro-Nigerian crowd and being rib-crackingly hugged by a
very large Nigerian woman every time her side came close to goal (I'm
alternatively glad but saddened that they didn't score - USSR won 1-0
- Nigeria played with joy and flair and deserved better but if they
did score I'm not sure my ribs could have withstood the squeezing!)

early 1990s - Ottawa - being one of a few dozen die-hards to stick it
out through a torrential downpour to see Canada defeat Mexico 4-0 in a
youth friendly (the Mexicans claimed they brought the wrong studs).
Dancing on the metal stands in the face of an impending thunderstorm
was perhaps not the most prudent of celebrations.

1992 - on my honeymoon - A funny thing happened to me on the way to
the hurling match, or "always look on the bright side of life" Dublin
- Manchester City v Celtic friendly, type

halchuk honeymoon hurling

in a google search on rec.sport.soccer for details

1994 Boston - WC94 Argentina 2-1 Nigeria (again the Nigerians deserved
better) - from my earlier experiences I could not help but be a
Nigerian fan. My friends and I were a lilypad of green in a blue and
white swamp in the upper stands. The pageantry was great, especially
when the garbage bags full of blue and white paper came out to be
thrown. The crowd around us was flabbergasted but tolerant when we
booed Maradona "how can they do that, how can they boo the God of
Soccer?" Across the stadium we could see the Nigerian section,
complete with a band that never stopped playing through the action. I
can now say I personally saw the last match that "the little onion"
played for his country.

2001 - Francophone games - a pageantry of games between Francophone
nations held in Ottawa

See "An Evening with Roger Milla" at
http://www.rsssf.com/rssbest/rogermilla.html

or
type in
jeux francophonie halchuk

in a google search on rec.sport.soccer for details

2002 - WC final

making Rivaldo and Kahn "scarecrows" with my daughter and sticking
them out on my front lawn on the day of the final

> - In your observation within your lifetime, have your fellow
> non-football loving citizens increased, decreased, or had their interest
> in football stay the same?

Awareness has definitely increased and the media/general public will
follow tournaments that Canada is in (and the World Cup) but it is
hard to tell if there are many more avid fans.

> - Are your children or other family mmebers into soccer as well, or not
> so much?

Not as much as I, but they're learning. I met my wife through an ad in
the paper in which she mentioned soccer!

Having no real home club team of note for more than 10 years, I follow
the national squad and the international game. In addition to the
beauty of the sport, it attracts my interest in different cultures,
geography, history, and pride in my home (is that soppy enough for
you?)

cheers
Stephen
-------
S. Halchuk, hal...@seismo.nrcan.gc.ca
"You as a Canadian have no right putting down countries in which
soccer is a major sport" - Boz Sabeti, rec.sport.soccer, Jan 29, 1996

Sid

Jan 7, 2004, 10:51:39 AM1/7/04
"Victoria Barrett" <victorias...@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> But in other countries, say an USA, a Canada, an Australia, an India,
> and to a degree, a South Africa, etc. etc., the stories of how men and
> women came to love our sport must be extremely interesting because it's
> as popular a sport as elsewhere.
>
> - So to these non-Euros and South Americans, how did your love of
> football begin?

It's not that difficult really. India's a pretty sports crazy country.

I always liked watching just about every sport on TV. I got interested in
domestic football by watching highlights of Mohun Bagan and East Bengal
matches (also the PSV Eindhoven visit and subsequent thrashing of our
national side).

I got interested in International football when I was around 7-8
(1987-88), would be my guess (maybe even earlier). I remember watching
Italia '90 and already having a strong liking for Argentina and ardently
following their progress during that cup (and also knowing that they had
beat W. Ger in Mexico and hoping for a repeat in that final and being
heart-broken).

I got *really* interested in international club football when I read a
couple of books (around age 9-10 I guess) about European Club
championships and learning about Busby's babes. I guess that explains
the liking for Man Utd. ;-)

> - What is the craziest thing you've ever done in connexion with catching
> a match or in some way related to football?

Not really crazy. But when I was in London last year, I found out that I
could get tickets to a Chelsea-West Brom match. But I was supposed to
fly out that morning. So I made a couple of calls, screamed at some
airline people and got a late night flight so I could watch the match.
Alone.

> - In your observation within your lifetime, have your fellow
> non-football loving citizens increased, decreased, or had their interest
> in football stay the same?

Increased. Mostly because of satelite television. Most kids I know back
home have a "favourite" national and European club team now. They know
probably close to nothing about S.American football though.

> - Are your children or other family mmebers into soccer as well, or not
> so much?

Just the world cup and following the news once in a while.

> Everyone in this world, as they say, has a story. And I suspect RSS'ers
> are no different. :)

Sid

Sid

Jan 7, 2004, 10:55:51 AM1/7/04
"Shawn Cady" <sc...@sympatico.ca> writes:

Forgot to add in my other post, but it's the same in India. Cricket,
football and hockey are played in just about every school (along with
the regular track and field etc.). Hockey is probably the least popular
among the three (surprisingly since it's the national sport) if you take
a national view. In some regions it's more popular than others, of
course.

Sid

Libertarian

Jan 7, 2004, 3:01:58 PM1/7/04
> But in other countries, say an USA, a Canada, an Australia, an India,

Soccer in Indi is nearly as old as in England. It's actually third, after
England and Scotland.

chris m

Jan 7, 2004, 12:10:37 PM1/7/04

> Some nations are lucky, but even more so, some continents.
>
> Europe, and South America both seemed steeped in footballing history
> because of the large migration between these two continents so early on.
>
> It's not surprising then that citizens from European and South American
> countries love football -- the very air one breathes is permeated with
> it.
>
> But in other countries, say an USA, a Canada, an Australia, an India,
> and to a degree, a South Africa, etc. etc., the stories of how men and
> women came to love our sport must be extremely interesting because it's
> as popular a sport as elsewhere.
>
> - So to these non-Euros and South Americans, how did your love of
> football begin?

I owe it all to Fox Sports World. My cable company changed, I received
FSW without asking for it, caught a couple of EPL games and was hooked.
I had played soccer in high school but never really had an interest in
the game. I am suprised at the extent to which I developed a passion
for the game. For me it is the _best_ sport to watch on television by
far, No timeouts, no commericials, just the uninterupted flow of the
game. Its funny, I just realized I have never seen a live
professional game.

> - What is the craziest thing you've ever done in connexion with catching
> a match or in some way related to football?

Tivoed and watched every game in the last world cup. I was totally
addicted.

> - In your observation within your lifetime, have your fellow
> non-football loving citizens increased, decreased, or had their interest
> in football stay the same?

Soccer for adults in the US is just not happening. I keep trying to
interest aquaintances in the game and they look at me very strangely.
The lack of sustained interest puzzles me greatly, in that soccer is
the top participatory sport now among youth in the United States.

> - Are your children or other family mmebers into soccer as well, or not
> so much?

I have no children but all my friends kids seem to play, a few really
seriousily, camps and travel teams and the like.

As for me, I am trying to find a senior adult amateur team in Central
Connecticut to take me on. I fancy myself a striker in the Alan
Shearer mode. ( If there are any Connecticut rsser's that know of
team, I am at chris....@comcast.net )

> Everyone in this world, as they say, has a story. And I suspect RSS'ers
> are no different. :)

chris m

Mark V.

Jan 7, 2004, 9:53:24 PM1/7/04

> - So to these non-Euros and South Americans, how did your love of
> football begin?

I was in Brazil during WC '90. I knew nothing of the sport until then,
and was hooked immediately.

> - What is the craziest thing you've ever done in connexion with catching
> a match or in some way related to football?

On that trip to Brazil (in the state of Espirito Santo ), some of my
fellow American students and I snuck into an abandoned high-rise
apartment with a roof overlooking the local soccer stadium and climbed
all the way to the top for a free birds-eye view of a live match on
the field. We had a backpack full of "chopp" bottles, and a couple of
us nearly fell off towards the end.

Bruce Scott TOK

Jan 8, 2004, 3:22:52 PM1/8/04
Victoria B asked:

|> - So to these non-Euros and South Americans, how did your love of
|> football begin?

Soccer Made in Germany, Fall 1977. Later, 1982 WC, 1984 EC, and 1986
WC. First live match was the 1980 NASL championship.

|> - What is the craziest thing you've ever done in connexion with catching
|> a match or in some way related to football?

Fairbanks to Milan, 2001 CL Final:

http://www.rzg.mpg.de/~bds/soccer/CL-final.html

|> - In your observation within your lifetime, have your fellow
|> non-football loving citizens increased, decreased, or had their interest
|> in football stay the same?

There is more reporting, marginally, but I think the mainstream media,
which is also crap on so many other topics, has succeeded in containing
this to the niches. It is as if they wanted to, but more likely simply
a result of the innate status-quo'ism they have.

Among the people, there are more niche areas than in 1972 when I played
in high school in Rhode Island, but they are still niche areas. I don't
detect any serious cultural resonance.

|> - Are your children or other family mmebers into soccer as well, or not
|> so much?

My father and great aunt are, and my brother sees a few international
matches on cable TV, but the others are immune :-)

--
cu,
Bruce

drift wave turbulence: http://www.rzg.mpg.de/~bds/