Quiz

已查看 1 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

milivella

未读,
2008年8月20日 23:14:122008/8/20
收件人
Questions about World Cup winning squads (=WCWSs).

I have to thank Wikipedia, but you have to play by memory! :) There
are no tough question, but the easiest ones are asked first.

a. What league gave more players to WCWSs?

b. The same league tops also the ranking for the number of different
editions (in which had at least a player in WCWSs). Which are the two
leagues that follow it in this ranking?

c. Who was the first player winning a WC playing in a league different
from his nation's one?

d. What WCWS had players from more leagues?

e. What WCWS had less players from its own national league?

f. How many players won a WC playing in the Japanese league?

g. Only one league had just one player in a WC winning squad: what
league?

I talk about "league" (singular) even if in some cases (West Germany)
there was more than one league. If a question is not clear, ask me to
rephrase it.

--
Cheers
milivella

Mark V.

未读,
2008年8月21日 02:39:452008/8/21
收件人
On Aug 20, 8:14 pm, milivella <milive...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Questions about World Cup winning squads (=WCWSs).
>
> I have to thank Wikipedia, but you have to play by memory! :) There
> are no tough question, but the easiest ones are asked first.
>
> a. What league gave more players to WCWSs?

It would have to be Serie A.

> b. The same league tops also the ranking for the number of different
> editions (in which had at least a player in WCWSs). Which are the two
> leagues that follow it in this ranking?

Tougher. Bundesliga and then La Liga?

> c. Who was the first player winning a WC playing in a league different
> from his nation's one?

No clue. Easily google-able, I guess.

> d. What WCWS had players from more leagues?

Brazil 2002?

> e. What WCWS had less players from its own national league?

Also Brazil 2002?

> f. How many players won a WC playing in the Japanese league?

One. Edilson?

> g. Only one league had just one player in a WC winning squad: what
> league?

Edlson? Japan?

Nice quiz!

Clément

未读,
2008年8月21日 03:05:262008/8/21
收件人
On Aug 21, 12:14 am, milivella wrote:
> Questions about World Cup winning squads (=WCWSs).
>
> I have to thank Wikipedia, but you have to play by memory! :) There
> are no tough question, but the easiest ones are asked first.

Nice quiz! I'll give it a try, just for fun, even if I'll just
embarrass myself. =)

> a. What league gave more players to WCWSs?

I'd say Italian Serie A.

> b. The same league tops also the ranking for the number of different
> editions (in which had at least a player in WCWSs). Which are the two
> leagues that follow it in this ranking?

The German and Spanish ones?

> c. Who was the first player winning a WC playing in a league different
> from his nation's one?

Is this one easy? Do I have to study! I'm guessing someone around
1958, no idea who.

> d. What WCWS had players from more leagues?

Brazil 1994. Or France 1998.

> e. What WCWS had less players from its own national league?

France 1998. Or Brazil 1994.

> f. How many players won a WC playing in the Japanese league?

I think Brazil had at least one in 1994. Don't remember if t has
happened again. 3?

> g. Only one league had just one player in a WC winning squad: what
> league?

No idea.

> I talk about "league" (singular) even if in some cases (West Germany)
> there was more than one league. If a question is not clear, ask me to
> rephrase it.

I considered this when I answered to b.

Thanks for the quiz.

Abraço,

Luiz Mello

Citizen

未读,
2008年8月21日 04:48:122008/8/21
收件人
On Aug 20, 11:14 pm, milivella <milive...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Questions about World Cup winning squads (=WCWSs).
>
> I have to thank Wikipedia, but you have to play by memory! :) There
> are no tough question, but the easiest ones are asked first.
>
> a. What league gave more players to WCWSs?

Serie A

> b. The same league tops also the ranking for the number of different
> editions (in which had at least a player in WCWSs). Which are the two
> leagues that follow it in this ranking?

Buendesliga & la Liga? (but the Brazilian league has to have some
consideration too)

> c. Who was the first player winning a WC playing in a league different
> from his nation's one?

Probably a Brazilian from 1958

> d. What WCWS had players from more leagues?

France 1998?

> e. What WCWS had less players from its own national league?

France 1998? (But asking both d & e is perhaps a hint that the answer
is different?)

> f. How many players won a WC playing in the Japanese league?

I know Dunga, Leonardo, & a couple of others from the Brazil 1994
squad played in Japan, not sure how many did so in that year though

> g. Only one league had just one player in a WC winning squad: what
> league?

Hmm...Turkey?

> I talk about "league" (singular) even if in some cases (West Germany)
> there was more than one league. If a question is not clear, ask me to
> rephrase it.
>
> --
> Cheers
> milivella

Also, since the WC takes place between two seasons, how can we
accurately determine which of the two teams a player is playing for
should he have transferred during that time?

Mark V.

未读,
2008年8月21日 04:52:082008/8/21
收件人
On Aug 21, 1:48 am, Citizen <FlammesSomb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, since the WC takes place between two seasons, how can we
> accurately determine which of the two teams a player is playing for
> should he have transferred during that time?

That's a good point. Rosicky, for instance, had been acquired by
Arsenal yet hadn't played for them when he starred in WC 2006.

milivella

未读,
2008年8月21日 05:50:222008/8/21
收件人
On Aug 21, 8:39 am, "Mark V." <markvande...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Aug 20, 8:14 pm, milivella <milive...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > a. What league gave more players to WCWSs?
>
> It would have to be Serie A.

Right!

> > b. The same league tops also the ranking for the number of different
> > editions (in which had at least a player in WCWSs). Which are the two
> > leagues that follow it in this ranking?
>
> Tougher. Bundesliga and then La Liga?

Yep! (both 6 editions)

> > d. What WCWS had players from more leagues?
>
> Brazil 2002?

No. It's second together with some other squads.

> > e. What WCWS had less players from its own national league?
>
> Also Brazil 2002?

No. It's third.

> > f. How many players won a WC playing in the Japanese league?
>
> One. Edilson?

No.

> > g. Only one league had just one player in a WC winning squad: what
> > league?
>
> Edlson? Japan?

No.

Two correct answers. Congratulations!

--
Cheers
milivella

milivella

未读,
2008年8月21日 06:02:582008/8/21
收件人
On Aug 21, 9:05 am, Clément <lcmello.lis...@terra.com.br> wrote:
> On Aug 21, 12:14 am, milivella wrote:
>
> > a. What league gave more players to WCWSs?
>
> I'd say Italian Serie A.

Right. There is a reason if it was called "the most beautiful league
in the world"... ;)

> > b. The same league tops also the ranking for the number of different
> > editions (in which had at least a player in WCWSs). Which are the two
> > leagues that follow it in this ranking?
>
> The German and Spanish ones?

Right. La Liga ueber alles!

[Answers with some indecision skipped... ;) ]

> > f. How many players won a WC playing in the Japanese league?
>
> I think Brazil had at least one in 1994. Don't remember if t has
> happened again. 3?

No.

Two absolutely correct answers: good job!

--
Cheers
milivella

milivella

未读,
2008年8月21日 06:11:122008/8/21
收件人
On Aug 21, 10:48 am, Citizen <FlammesSomb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 20, 11:14 pm, milivella <milive...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > a. What league gave more players to WCWSs?
>
> Serie A

Yes.

> > b. The same league tops also the ranking for the number of different
> > editions (in which had at least a player in WCWSs). Which are the two
> > leagues that follow it in this ranking?
>
> Buendesliga & la Liga?  (but the Brazilian league has to have some
> consideration too)

Brazil is fourth after Serie A, Bundesliga and La Liga:
congratulations!

> > c. Who was the first player winning a WC playing in a league different
> > from his nation's one?
>
> Probably a Brazilian from 1958

No, they played all in Brazilian sides...

> > d. What WCWS had players from more leagues?
>
> France 1998?

No, France 98 is tied second.

> > e. What WCWS had less players from its own national league?
>
> France 1998?  (But asking both d & e is perhaps a hint that the answer
> is different?)

Right! Just 9 players from French league:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&wikititle=1&q=1998%20FIFA%20World%20Cup%20squads#France

> > f. How many players won a WC playing in the Japanese league?
>
> I know Dunga, Leonardo, & a couple of others from the Brazil 1994
> squad played in Japan, not sure how many did so in that year though

Try, you're on the right road. :)

> > g. Only one league had just one player in a WC winning squad: what
> > league?
>
> Hmm...Turkey?

No.

Three correct answers, and you could have at least another one:
great! :)

> Also, since the WC takes place between two seasons, how can we
> accurately determine which of the two teams a player is playing for
> should he have transferred during that time?

Ah, right. Excuse me, I didn't specify :( but I guess that my source
(Wikipedia) considers the previous season's club.

--
Cheers
milivella

Clément

未读,
2008年8月21日 06:11:242008/8/21
收件人
On Aug 21, 7:02 am, milivella wrote:

> On Aug 21, 9:05 am, Clément wrote:
>
> > On Aug 21, 12:14 am, milivella wrote:
>
> [Answers with some indecision skipped... ;) ]

Fair enough! But I meant the first option to be my "official" answer.
And the other one would be just my secong best guess.

Abraço,

Luiz Mello

milivella

未读,
2008年8月21日 06:17:082008/8/21
收件人

Checking Wikipedia (I can, you can't! :) ) confirms that they consider
previous season clubs: Rosicky belongs to Borussia Dortmund, and in a
footnote you read:
"Rosický will join Arsenal after the tournament."

But there is also this specification:
"Players for whom this information changed during or in the run up to
the tournament are indicated by footnotes."
So maybe they consider the club at the moment of squad submission.

--
Cheers
milivella

milivella

未读,
2008年8月21日 06:38:312008/8/21
收件人

Perfect. So, you've them both right:
- WCWS with players from more leagues is Brazil 94, with players from
Brazil, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and Japan.
- WCWS with less players from its own national league is France 98,
with just 9 players from French league.

Kudos to you!

--
Cheers
milivella

milivella

未读,
2008年8月21日 06:42:002008/8/21
收件人
On Aug 21, 5:14 am, milivella <milive...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Questions about World Cup winning squads (=WCWSs).

The following ones have not been answered yet:

> c. Who was the first player winning a WC playing in a league different
> from his nation's one?
>

> f. How many players won a WC playing in the Japanese league?
>
> g. Only one league had just one player in a WC winning squad: what
> league?

To you.

--
Cheers
milivella

Joachim Parsch

未读,
2008年8月21日 07:34:282008/8/21
收件人
milivella schrieb:

> > > a. What league gave more players to WCWSs?
> >
> > It would have to be Serie A.
>
> Right!

An easy one.

> > > b. The same league tops also the ranking for the number of different
> > > editions (in which had at least a player in WCWSs). Which are the two
> > > leagues that follow it in this ranking?
> >
> > Tougher. Bundesliga and then La Liga?
>
> Yep! (both 6 editions)

The three German titles + 94 (Dunga), 98 (Lizarazu) and 02 (Lucio).
A bit amazing that this is enough for second place, but obviously
squadsd were much more locally based in the pre-Bosman days.

It's more difficult for Spain: Probably 94, 98 and 02 as well, because
those squads were spread all over the planet. None in 90, Bernd Schuster
wasn't in the team... Probably 86, I think Maradona was still in Barcelona
that year, or Valdano in Madrid (not checking). Still two missing - 78 and 06?

How much has Italy? 4 titles for themselves + 02, 98, 94, 90?

Cheers
Joachim

milivella

未读,
2008年8月21日 09:51:052008/8/21
收件人
On Aug 21, 1:34 pm, Joachim Parsch <s...@bunuel.franken.de> wrote:

> > > It would have to be Serie A.
>
> > Right!
>
> An easy one.

I know, I know. :) But I wanted to recall that, even if in bad shape
in the recent years, Serie A still is a contender as the best league
in the world, when you consider history.

> > > Tougher. Bundesliga and then La Liga?
>
> > Yep! (both 6 editions)
>
> The three German titles + 94 (Dunga), 98 (Lizarazu) and 02 (Lucio).

Right (1994: also Jorginho and Paulo Sérgio).

> A bit amazing that this is enough for second place, but obviously
> squadsd were much more locally based in the pre-Bosman days.

Absolutely.

> It's more difficult for Spain: Probably 94, 98 and 02 as well, because
> those squads were spread all over the planet. None in 90, Bernd Schuster
> wasn't in the team... Probably 86, I think Maradona was still in Barcelona
> that year, or Valdano in Madrid (not checking). Still two missing - 78 and 06?

...I'll reply you later. ;)

> How much has Italy? 4 titles for themselves + 02, 98, 94, 90?

Don't forget 1986 (Maradona, Passarella, Pasculli). Great players
(Berthold, Brehme, Matthaeus, Klinsmann, Voeller) in 1990; Taffarel
and Aldair in 1994; half of France 1998 (Boghossian, Candela,
Desailly, Deschamps, Djorkaeff, Thuram, Zidane); Cafu and Ronaldo (and
Dida, Júnior, Roque Júnior) in 2002. In the last 6 editions, at least
one player from Serie A won the WC (5 times out of 6, the captain
played in Serie A). [End of patriotic pride.]

--
Cheers
milivella

Lléo

未读,
2008年8月21日 22:13:282008/8/21
收件人
"Joachim Parsch" <s...@bunuel.franken.de> escreveu na mensagem

>> > Tougher. Bundesliga and then La Liga?
>>
>> Yep! (both 6 editions)
>
> The three German titles + 94 (Dunga), 98 (Lizarazu) and 02 (Lucio).
> A bit amazing that this is enough for second place, but obviously
> squadsd were much more locally based in the pre-Bosman days.
>
> It's more difficult for Spain: Probably 94, 98 and 02 as well, because
> those squads were spread all over the planet. None in 90, Bernd Schuster
> wasn't in the team... Probably 86, I think Maradona was still in Barcelona
> that year, or Valdano in Madrid (not checking). Still two missing - 78 and
> 06?

Rivaldo and Roberto Carlos in 2002?

--
Lléo

Lléo

未读,
2008年8月21日 22:14:122008/8/21
收件人
"Lléo" <lleo.rj....@globo.com> escreveu na mensagem

oops nevermind... missed your reference to 2002.

--
Lléo

Futbolmetrix

未读,
2008年8月22日 02:03:032008/8/22
收件人

"milivella" <mili...@gmail.com> wrote in message

On Aug 21, 5:14 am, milivella <milive...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The following ones have not been answered yet:

I'll try my luck...

> c. Who was the first player winning a WC playing in a league different
> from his nation's one?

I'll take a risky guess here, and say that it was somebody from Uruguay
1950. There must have been some players that crossed the Rio de la Plata and
went to play in Argentina.

> f. How many players won a WC playing in the Japanese league?

It's not one and it's not three, so I say 2.

> g. Only one league had just one player in a WC winning squad: what
> league?

Thinking out of the box...Netherlands (some Brazilian in 1994 or 02)?

Futbolmetrix

未读,
2008年8月22日 02:17:422008/8/22
收件人
"Futbolmetrix" <futbol...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> c. Who was the first player winning a WC playing in a league different
>> from his nation's one?
>

> I'll take a risky guess here, and say that it was somebody from Uruguay
> 1950. There must have been some players that crossed the Rio de la Plata
> and went to play in Argentina.

Wrong.
Hint: The first person to guess will be MH.

>> f. How many players won a WC playing in the Japanese league?
>
> It's not one and it's not three, so I say 2.

Yes, but which ones?

>> g. Only one league had just one player in a WC winning squad: what
>> league?
>
> Thinking out of the box...Netherlands (some Brazilian in 1994 or 02)?

Nice try, but no Eredivisie players ever won a WC. This one is quite tough.

Matthias Mühlich

未读,
2008年8月22日 03:31:582008/8/22
收件人
milivella schrieb:

>> g. Only one league had just one player in a WC winning squad: what
>> league?

Portugal?

Joachim Parsch

未读,
2008年8月22日 04:02:252008/8/22
收件人
Futbolmetrix schrieb:

> "Futbolmetrix" <futbol...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> >> c. Who was the first player winning a WC playing in a league different
> >> from his nation's one?
> >

> > I'll take a risky guess here, and say that it was somebody from Uruguay
> > 1950. There must have been some players that crossed the Rio de la Plata
> > and went to play in Argentina.
>
> Wrong.
> Hint: The first person to guess will be MH.

Another wild guess: Germany 74 (Netzer in Spain). If it's not Brazil 58,
then it's probably not Brazil 62. I have no idea, if someone from Brazil 70
played abroad (Pele played in the US, but later). The British 66 should all
be homebased... though I vaguely remember something about Jimmy Greaves -
maybe he is the answer?

BTW, Netzer would be part of the answer, in which six WCs players from
La Liga were in the winning team: 94, 98, 02, 86, 74 ... and 06?

> >> g. Only one league had just one player in a WC winning squad: what
> >> league?
> >
> > Thinking out of the box...Netherlands (some Brazilian in 1994 or 02)?
>
> Nice try, but no Eredivisie players ever won a WC. This one is quite tough.

Maybe some South American league, where just one of those Argentinians or
Brazilians played? Colombia? Or Russia, with a Brazilian from 02? Anyway,
I have no idea :-)

Cheers
Joachim

Joachim Parsch

未读,
2008年8月22日 04:15:402008/8/22
收件人
Joachim Parsch schrieb:

> Futbolmetrix schrieb:
> >
> > "Futbolmetrix" <futbol...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > > I'll take a risky guess here, and say that it was somebody from Uruguay
> > > 1950. There must have been some players that crossed the Rio de la Plata
> > > and went to play in Argentina.
> >
> > Wrong.
> > Hint: The first person to guess will be MH.
>
> Another wild guess: Germany 74 (Netzer in Spain). If it's not Brazil 58,
> then it's probably not Brazil 62. I have no idea, if someone from Brazil 70
> played abroad (Pele played in the US, but later). The British 66 should all
> be homebased... though I vaguely remember something about Jimmy Greaves -
> maybe he is the answer?

Ok, so I googled myself to knowledge here. Nice question with unexpected
answer.

> BTW, Netzer would be part of the answer, in which six WCs players from
> La Liga were in the winning team: 94, 98, 02, 86, 74 ... and 06?

I should have known...

> Maybe some South American league, where just one of those Argentinians or
> Brazilians played? Colombia? Or Russia, with a Brazilian from 02? Anyway,
> I have no idea :-)

I'm losing patience now :-)

Cheers
Joachim

Citizen

未读,
2008年8月22日 05:33:582008/8/22
收件人
On Aug 21, 6:42 am, milivella <milive...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 21, 5:14 am, milivella <milive...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Questions about World Cup winning squads (=WCWSs).
>
> The following ones have not been answered yet:
>
> > c. Who was the first player winning a WC playing in a league different
> > from his nation's one?
>
> > f. How many players won a WC playing in the Japanese league?

I'll venture another guess here: 3 players, one of them being Leonardo
in 94.
On a related note, the J-League seems to have gone the way of the US
pro league in the 70s. Like they had Pele, Beckenbauer, etc for a few
years back then, the J-League in the early 90s had Zico, Lineker,
Leonardo, & several other stars, but their financial clout seems to
have disappeared with Japan's economic problems and presumed lack of
interest.

milivella

未读,
2008年8月22日 08:02:582008/8/22
收件人
On Aug 22, 8:03 am, "Futbolmetrix" <futbolmet...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "milivella" <milive...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Aug 21, 5:14 am, milivella <milive...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > c. Who was the first player winning a WC playing in a league different
> > from his nation's one?
>
> I'll take a risky guess here, and say that it was somebody from Uruguay
> 1950. There must have been some players that crossed the Rio de la Plata and
> went to play in Argentina.

Unfortunately, no, they all played in Uruguay.

> > f. How many players won a WC playing in the Japanese league?
>
> It's not one and it's not three, so I say 2.

:) And it's the right answer!

> > g. Only one league had just one player in a WC winning squad: what
> > league?
>
> Thinking out of the box...Netherlands (some Brazilian in 1994 or 02)?

No, Netherlands league never had world champions.

--
Cheers
milivella

milivella

未读,
2008年8月22日 08:13:162008/8/22
收件人
On Aug 22, 8:17 am, "Futbolmetrix" <futbolmet...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Futbolmetrix" <futbolmet...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> c. Who was the first player winning a WC playing in a league different
> >> from his nation's one?
>
> > I'll take a risky guess here, and say that it was somebody from Uruguay
> > 1950. There must have been some players that crossed the Rio de la Plata
> > and went to play in Argentina.
>
> Wrong.
> Hint: The first person to guess will be MH.

(I hadn't seen your auto-reply.)

> >> f. How many players won a WC playing in the Japanese league?
>
> > It's not one and it's not three, so I say 2.
>
> Yes, but which ones?

Eh...

--
Cheers
milivella

milivella

未读,
2008年8月22日 08:14:012008/8/22
收件人
On Aug 22, 9:31 am, Matthias Mühlich <muehl...@iap.uni-frankfurt.de>
wrote:

No :(

--
Cheers
milivella

milivella

未读,
2008年8月22日 08:17:172008/8/22
收件人
On Aug 22, 10:02 am, Joachim Parsch <s...@bunuel.franken.de> wrote:
> Futbolmetrix schrieb:
>

> > "Futbolmetrix" <futbolmet...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > > I'll take a risky guess here, and say that it was somebody from Uruguay
> > > 1950. There must have been some players that crossed the Rio de la Plata
> > > and went to play in Argentina.
>
> > Wrong.
> > Hint: The first person to guess will be MH.
>
> Another wild guess: Germany 74 (Netzer in Spain).

Right! :)

> BTW, Netzer would be part of the answer, in which six WCs players from
> La Liga were in the winning team: 94, 98, 02, 86, 74 ... and 06?

No, 1978: Mario Kempes played in Valencia.

> > > Thinking out of the box...Netherlands (some Brazilian in 1994 or 02)?
>
> > Nice try, but no Eredivisie players ever won a WC. This one is quite tough.
>
> Maybe some South American league, where just one of those Argentinians or
> Brazilians played? Colombia? Or Russia, with a Brazilian from 02? Anyway,
> I have no idea :-)

It's nether Colombia nor Russia...

--
Cheers
milivella

milivella

未读,
2008年8月22日 08:18:382008/8/22
收件人
On Aug 22, 11:33 am, Citizen <FlammesSomb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On a related note, the J-League seems to have gone the way of the US
> pro league in the 70s. Like they had Pele, Beckenbauer, etc for a few
> years back then, the J-League in the early 90s had Zico, Lineker,
> Leonardo, & several other stars, but their financial clout seems to
> have disappeared with Japan's economic problems and presumed lack of
> interest.

True.

--
Cheers
milivella

milivella

未读,
2008年8月22日 08:21:482008/8/22
收件人
On Aug 21, 5:14 am, milivella <milive...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Questions about World Cup winning squads (=WCWSs).

One question and a half remaining.

> f. How many players won a WC playing in the Japanese league?

Daniele rightly answered "two", but then asked "who?".

> g. Only one league had just one player in a WC winning squad: what
> league?

Hint: the player was in Argentina 86 squad.

--
Cheers
milivella

Joachim Parsch

未读,
2008年8月22日 08:30:352008/8/22
收件人
milivella schrieb:

> On Aug 22, 10:02 am, Joachim Parsch <s...@bunuel.franken.de> wrote:
> > Another wild guess: Germany 74 (Netzer in Spain).
>
> Right! :)

Which I wouldn't have guessed without the info, that it was neither
1950 nor 1958. In fact I was surprised, that it was that late.
Until 86, only two abroad based players won the WC (Netzer and Kempes,
none in 82), and one of them was more or less a bench warmer in the
competition in question.

Quite amazing, when you consider the erosion of today, when WC squads
are a mixture of Chelsea, Manu, Barca, Milan and Madrid :-)

> > Maybe some South American league, where just one of those Argentinians or
> > Brazilians played? Colombia? Or Russia, with a Brazilian from 02? Anyway,
> > I have no idea :-)
>
> It's nether Colombia nor Russia...

Well, I found out (good guess, though...) - even with the Internet it took
some time, and in fact the German wikipedia wasn't good enough. I needed
the english version to be sure. I would be really amazed, if someone would
know this one without the almighty web.

Cheers
Joachim

Matthias Mühlich

未读,
2008年8月22日 08:52:122008/8/22
收件人
milivella schrieb:

> Hint: the player was in Argentina 86 squad.

Then Mexico should be a possible answer.

milivella

未读,
2008年8月22日 09:30:412008/8/22
收件人
On Aug 22, 11:33 am, Citizen <FlammesSomb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On a related note, the J-League seems to have gone the way of the US
> pro league in the 70s. Like they had Pele, Beckenbauer, etc for a few
> years back then, the J-League in the early 90s had Zico, Lineker,
> Leonardo, & several other stars, but their financial clout seems to
> have disappeared with Japan's economic problems and presumed lack of
> interest.

Maybe these examples show that big names aren't enough to create
"artificial" interest: what would happen if the same amount of money
is used to buy a lot more of less known players? I don't think it
would be enough, but maybe it could be a better move for leagues such
as NASL and J-League.

--
Cheers
milivella

milivella

未读,
2008年8月22日 09:32:402008/8/22
收件人
On Aug 22, 2:30 pm, Joachim Parsch <s...@bunuel.franken.de> wrote:
> milivella schrieb:
>

> > On Aug 22, 10:02 am, Joachim Parsch <s...@bunuel.franken.de> wrote:
> > > Another wild guess: Germany 74 (Netzer in Spain).
>
> > Right! :)
>
> Which I wouldn't have guessed without the info, that it was neither
> 1950 nor 1958. In fact I was surprised, that it was that late.
> Until 86, only two abroad based players won the WC (Netzer and Kempes,
> none in 82), and one of them was more or less a bench warmer in the
> competition in question.
>
> Quite amazing, when you consider the erosion of today, when WC squads
> are a mixture of Chelsea, Manu, Barca, Milan and Madrid :-)

Yep, it's the same feeling I had checking the squads.

--
Cheers
milivella

milivella

未读,
2008年8月22日 09:36:262008/8/22
收件人
On Aug 22, 2:52 pm, Matthias Mühlich <muehl...@iap.uni-frankfurt.de>
wrote:

> milivella schrieb:
>
> > Hint: the player was in Argentina 86 squad.
>
> Then Mexico should be a possible answer.

...and it's the correct answer! Héctor Zelada, the third goalkeeper,
played for Club América in the years 1979-1986.

So the quiz has been solved (unless someone wanna try to guess who are
the two players that won a WC while playing for a Japanese club).

--
Cheers
milivella

JK

未读,
2008年8月22日 09:55:252008/8/22
收件人

The question is which league had only one *current* world cup winner,
right? As opposed to only one player who's EVER won a WC.

Citizen

未读,
2008年8月22日 13:37:552008/8/22
收件人

Reading back on previous posts, I noticed someone mentioned Edilson,
so I'll venture that he is one of the two, and the other is Leonardo.

JK

未读,
2008年8月22日 13:44:442008/8/22
收件人

Zinho?

Clément

未读,
2008年8月22日 13:55:122008/8/22
收件人
On Aug 22, 10:32 am, milivella wrote:

> On Aug 22, 2:30 pm, Joachim Parsch wrote:
>
> > milivella schrieb:

> > > Right! :)
>
> > Which I wouldn't have guessed without the info, that it was neither
> > 1950 nor 1958. In fact I was surprised, that it was that late.
> > Until 86, only two abroad based players won the WC (Netzer and Kempes,
> > none in 82), and one of them was more or less a bench warmer in the
> > competition in question.
>
> > Quite amazing, when you consider the erosion of today, when WC squads
> > are a mixture of Chelsea, Manu, Barca, Milan and Madrid :-)
>
> Yep, it's the same feeling I had checking the squads.

Me too, but I also noticed that, if we looked at the runners-up, we
could have had a World Champion who played abroad as early as in 1934
(Czechoslovakia's Josef Silný played for French side AC Nimes).

Abraço,

Luiz Mello

milivella

未读,
2008年8月22日 15:38:162008/8/22
收件人

Right. Sorry if my wording wasn't clear.

--
Cheers
milivella

milivella

未读,
2008年8月22日 15:39:552008/8/22
收件人

Leonardo is right, but Edilson isn't: he played in Japan before and
after 2002, but in that season he played for Cruzeiro.

So, Leonardo and...?

--
Cheers
milivella

milivella

未读,
2008年8月22日 15:41:082008/8/22
收件人

No, Zinho too (like Edilson) went in Japan after winning the WC.

--
Cheers
milivella

milivella

未读,
2008年8月22日 15:42:022008/8/22
收件人

...and this would probably have surprised us the other way.

--
Cheers
milivella

Citizen

未读,
2008年8月22日 16:17:262008/8/22
收件人

Having reached the end of my line, I looked at wikipedia: but it says
there that Leonardo is not correct either! He joined the Kashima
Antlers (that's a strange club name) in 1994 *after* the WC.

milivella

未读,
2008年8月22日 19:58:302008/8/22
收件人
On Aug 22, 10:17 pm, Citizen <FlammesSomb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Having reached the end of my line, I looked at wikipedia: but it says
> there that Leonardo is not correct either!  He joined the Kashima
> Antlers (that's a strange club name) in 1994 *after* the WC.

Actually, it seems that they bought Leonardo in May, so before the WC:
http://news.google.com/archivesearch?sourceid=mozclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&q=LEONARDO+kashima&as_ldate=1994&as_hdate=1994&um=1&scoring=t&sa=X&oi=archive&ct=title

Anyway, I know that this problem ("which club does a WC player belong
to?") has spoiled the fun. :(

--
Cheers
milivella

milivella

未读,
2008年8月25日 02:37:042008/8/25
收件人
On Aug 23, 1:58 am, milivella <milive...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 22, 10:17 pm, Citizen <FlammesSomb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Having reached the end of my line, I looked at wikipedia: but it says
> > there that Leonardo is not correct either!  He joined the Kashima
> > Antlers (that's a strange club name) in 1994 *after* the WC.
>
> Actually, it seems that they bought Leonardo in May, so before the WC:http://news.google.com/archivesearch?sourceid=mozclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=u...

Something similar with Ronaldao, the other player from Brazil 1994
that Wikipedia assigns to a J-League team:
http://news.google.com/archivesearch?q=Ronaldao+shimizu&btnG=Search&um=1

--
Cheers
milivella

milivella

未读,
2008年8月28日 16:37:572008/8/28
收件人
On Aug 21, 5:14 am, milivella <milive...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Questions about World Cup winning squads (=WCWSs).

Another trivia: no player in the Argentina 1978 squad came from Boca
Juniors, even if they won the Intercontinental Cup both in 1977 and in
1978 (well, in 1978 Liverpool withdrew). Does somebody knows why?

--
Cheers
milivella

0 个新帖子