World Cup 2006 - Quarter-Finals Day One

Benny

Jun 30, 2006, 9:10:38 PM6/30/06

ITALY 3-0 UKRAINE
Zambrotta 6
Toni 58, 69

Camoranesi had already gone close for Italy before Zambrotta hit the back of the
net. He started the move with a ball into Totti, the Roma captain returned it
with an extravagant back heel as Zambrotta cut in from the right flank, he ran
unchallenged towards the centre of the box he let rip with a left foot drive
from 25 yards which found the bottom corner via Shovkovsky’s left hand, he
probably should have done better.

Having failed to show up in the first half Ukraine came out fighting in the
second. Buffon was almost KTFO when he collided with a post when saving Gusin's
point blank header. Milevsky turned onto a miss-hit shot and played in Gusev
with a superbly weighted pass, Gusev hit the ball with everything he had, Buffon
parried and Tymoshchyuk's follow-up was chested off the line by the outstanding
Zambrotta. Less than a minute later Toni broke his duck. Totti worked a short
corner with Grosso before whipping a teasing cross to the back post and despite
Gusin's concerted attempts to concede a penalty for shirt pulling, the giant
striker headed low into the net. Italy had another escape when the unlucky Gusin
headed a free kick against the crossbar. Zambrotta capped off a stunning
performance by laying on the third goal. Grosso volleyed a pass inside Gusev, a
sharp turn took Zambrotta away from Vashchyuk and he poked the ball forward to a
delighted Toni.

Italy have a fantastic record against Germany and won't be too concerned at the
prospect of playing underdogs. They seem to be peaking at the right time of
course if it goes to penalties Italy are doomed.

Attendance : 50,000
Assists : Totti, Totti (ck), Zambrotta

GERMANY 1-1 ARGENTINA
Klose 80 Ayala 49

I'm not sure of the intention of the teams in the first half. Maybe they were
conserving energy for the second half because they did nothing with the ball,
Argentina especially who had most of it. Ballack had the only chance following a
superb counter attack but headed wide.

Ayala, who but for Cannavaro would be this tournaments outstanding defender,
gave Argentina the lead with a spectacular header from a Riquelme corner. The
game began to open up. Crespo intercepted Lahm's hospital pass, Tevez tried to
dribble past the German defence but spotted Rodriguez in a better position free
on the right of the box, the midfielder lashed wide. Germany won a throw in near
goal. Borowski flicked on Ballack's cross and Klose got in front of Sorin to
header into Franco's bottom corner (Abbondanzieri went off with a injury in the
first half). Rodriguez was booked for diving in the box two minutes from time,
with team-mates in the centre waiting for a cross, match point.

Extra time was... thirty minutes of my life I won't get back.

Penalty Shoot-Out

Neuville's kick is at a good height for Franco but hit with too much pace

Cruz smashes the ball into the top left corner

Ballack sends Franco the wrong way

Ayala hits an awful, power puff shot which Lehmann saves with ease

Podolski drills a low shot into the bottom right corner

Rodriguez is only a fingertip away from seeing his penalty saved

Borowski's penalty is almost a carbon copy of Podolski's

Cambiasso's strike the ball wide of centre and at mid-height, Lehmann takes a
step off his line before saving

As the Germans were celebrating Cufre, who was an unused sub, kicked Metzelder
square in the balls, sending him rolling to the ground in agony and a bench
clearing scuffle ensued. Heinze had to be restrained from getting to Bierhoff
and Maxi Rodriguez leapt over a posse of bodies to slap Schweinsteiger in the
back, pussy.

Pekerman's decision to substitute Riquelme and replace him with DM Cambiasso
on 72 minutes is one of the all time moronic and arrogant decisions in World Cup
history, as was taking off Crespo on 78 minutes and replacing him not with Messi
or even Saviola but Cruz. Pekerman resigned in disgrace minutes later, and so he
should.

Germany win 4-2 on penalties

Attendance : 72,000
Red Card : Cufre 120 (Argentina)
Assists : Riquelme (ck), Borowski

http://soccer-europe.com
Chat room : http://www.lhcw.net/WorldCup
Rss feed : http://soccer-europe.com/RSS/News.xml

christ...@hotmail.com

Jul 1, 2006, 4:38:49 AM7/1/06
Benny wrote:
> Pekerman's decision to substitute Riquelme and replace him with DM Cambiasso
> on 72 minutes is one of the all time moronic and arrogant decisions in World Cup
> history, as was taking off Crespo on 78 minutes and replacing him not with Messi
> or even Saviola but Cruz. Pekerman resigned in disgrace minutes later, and so he
> should.

Got to agree with that:
Pekerman was just a bit too clever for his own good.

Pekerman is the anti-Eriksson: he treats his star players like shit and
uses them like chess pieces. Eriksson on the other hand has too much
respect for his star-players and never ever substitues them. IMO both
these behaviours are wrong: a good manager should be somewhere in the
middle.

ken.o...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2006, 8:49:52 AM7/1/06
Benny wrote:
> GERMANY 1-1 ARGENTINA

> Pekerman's decision to substitute Riquelme and replace him with DM Cambiasso
> on 72 minutes is one of the all time moronic and arrogant decisions in World Cup
> history, as was taking off Crespo on 78 minutes and replacing him not with Messi
> or even Saviola but Cruz. Pekerman resigned in disgrace minutes later, and so he
> should.

The substitutions on both sides were decisive -- Pekerman's idiocy was
matched by Odonkor's excellence up and down the wing, and both of
Klinsy's other subs buried their penalties.

encor...@yahoo.com

Jul 1, 2006, 5:43:01 PM7/1/06
>Pekerman's decision to substitute Riquelme and replace him with DM Cambiasso
>on 72 minutes is one of the all time moronic and arrogant decisions in World Cup
>history, as was taking off Crespo on 78 minutes and replacing him not with Messi
>or even Saviola but Cruz.

Not commenting on the merits of the decision, which I have yet
to fully decide in my mind. But I have been reading some archived
posts and it seems you used to be quite bullish on Cruz, like
some of the other Serie A posters here were attacking Pekerman
for leaving out Zannetti and one even expressed the rather
wierd desire that they should thus lose.

Just shows that emotions are not the stuff of football analysis.
If you must criticise post-facto a person of the pedigree of
Pekerman, you must be prepared to come out with your
reasoned analysis.

Thanks for the good posts, as always.

Benny

Jul 1, 2006, 5:46:23 PM7/1/06
> Subject : World Cup 2006 - Quarter-Finals Day One
> From : encor...@yahoo.com

>Not commenting on the merits of the decision, which I have yet
>to fully decide in my mind. But I have been reading some archived
>posts and it seems you used to be quite bullish on Cruz, like
>some of the other Serie A posters here were attacking Pekerman
>for leaving out Zannetti and one even expressed the rather
>wierd desire that they should thus lose.
>
>Just shows that emotions are not the stuff of football analysis.
>If you must criticise post-facto a person of the pedigree of
>Pekerman, you must be prepared to come out with your
>reasoned analysis.
>
>Thanks for the good posts, as always.

My problem wasn't with Cruz being selected, my problem was Pekerman
chose him AHEAD of Messi. That's unforgivable.

http://soccer-europe.com
Rss feed : http://soccer-europe.com/RSS/News.xml

muchan

Jul 4, 2006, 4:59:27 AM7/4/06
Benny wrote:

> My problem wasn't with Cruz being selected, my problem was Pekerman
> chose him AHEAD of Messi. That's unforgivable.

Just IMHO, but I noticed that the last 20 minutes or so, or after
the goalkeeper's injury, the ref was clearly judging for Germany,
letting the German players go physical without whistle (Max got
daungerous tackle, but didn't get even FK, etc.) while Argentinians
fouls were strictly whistled. Also no yellow for Ballack's simulation,
it was clearly double standard for this match.
(and I'm a Japanese, so not whining for Argentina)

So, in my opinion, Pekerman decided not to use Messi in this match,
that if he played and tried to dribble through German defenses,
Germans would go physical, and Messi would suffer another injury.
Aimar is also IMHO, a softer player that doesn't fit in such opponent.
Cruz would be the type to play against in that situation,
(thus Pakerman thought, I guess), just he didn't play for such
expectation.

I'd expect Messi (and Aguero, etc.) to be main player(s) in next world cup.

(Well, non-expert's personal observation, you can ignore it...)

muchan

Gerrit Stolte

Jul 4, 2006, 5:17:52 AM7/4/06
Am Tue, 04 Jul 2006 10:59:27 +0200 schrieb muchan:

> (Well, non-expert's personal observation, you can ignore it...)

No need to point it out :)

encor...@yahoo.com

Jul 5, 2006, 1:14:59 AM7/5/06

Not at all !

encor...@yahoo.com

Jul 5, 2006, 1:19:04 AM7/5/06
A logical point. Not many in rss have thought like you.

I have pointed out that leg tackling before, its standard
fare. The opinion of the media. and after all the media is
the message, is quite simple.

Hitting the shin or ankle of a player who is taking you on
is OK. He is showing off, and deserves to be kicked.

But God forbid if he falls down the next time you try
to kick his shin. For that will be "DIVING". Practiced
only by latin types.