World Cup 2006 Last 16 - Day Three

1 view

Benny

Jun 26, 2006, 10:12:15 PM6/26/06

ITALY 1-0 AUSTRALIA
Totti 94 (Pen)

In the second minute Toni wasted a superb Del Piero cross, heading wide from
6 yards out. The Fiorentina striker headed down a cross to Gilardino, he took
the ball high off his chest and struck an acrobatic volley which Schwarzer
parried with ease. His save on another Toni effort was considerably more
impressive. Pirlo chipped a ball into the box, Toni rolled his maker, Grella,
and hit a low shot which Schwarzer sliced clear with his left foot, the less
said about Gilardino's 'header' on the rebound the better. It took the Aussies
half an hour to get a shot on target. Chipperfield shot straight at Buffon
following a mix-up in the Italian defence on a set piece. Toni missed another
sitter, Perrotta helped on a Pirlo cross but the giant striker headed over the
bar. Moore was lucky not to be sent off for a lunging foul on Toni, he escaped
without a booking.

Materazzi scythed down Bresciano on the edge of the box and he made sure the ref
noticed by rolling over four times. Materazzi's foul was no different to Moore's
challenge on Toni in the first half, in fact that was arguably worse, but the
ref showed Materazzi a red. Despite their man advantage the Australians failed
to put the Italian's under a great deal of pressure and Hiddink waited until the
80th minute before bringing on Aloisi, Lippi had already introduced Totti and
Iaquinta. In the last minute Iaquinta missed an absolute gift. Perrotta had run
into traffic in a packed penalty area, when attempting to smashed the ball
clear, a defender kicked it against Iaquinta, it bounced off Iaquinta,
against Moore and back to Iaquinta again but he shot straight at Schwarzer.
Grosso burst down the right flank and turned inside Bresciano before running
into the box, Neill went in with a sliding tackled, Grosso turned away from him,
hooked his left foot over the defender and took a dive and the ref pointed to
the spot. Totti smashed the ball into the top left corner. It was hard luck on
Neill who had been outstanding all match but he only has himself to blame.

Attendance : 46,000
Red Card : Materazzi 50 (Italy)
Assist : Grosso (won pen)

SWITZERLAND 0-0 UKRAINE

During a brief spell in the first half this was shaping up to be a decent game,
despite telling a friend this had penalties written all over it. Wicky
intercepted Tymoshchyuk's square pass and let fly with a shot from the edge of
the box which Shovkovsky made an unnecessarily theatrical save. Shevchenko
clipped top of the crossbar with a diving header from Kalinichenko's free kick.
Frei rattled the crossbar with a ferocious free kick.

Gusin shaved a post with an excellent flick header from a corner. The remainder
of the second half was a complete non event. In extra time Gusin made a
fantastic block tackle to deny Streller when the forward was sent in on goal.
There were two notable substitutions in extra time. Milevsky, on for Voronin,
gave an instant spark to the Ukraine attack though I'm not sure what taking off
Frei and bringing on Lustrinelli was supposed to achieve.

Penalty Shoot-Out

Shevchenko sends the ball low to Zuberbuhler's right but it's saved. That's one
thing Milan won't miss.

Streller's kick is delayed by his own goalkeeper Zuberbuhler, who is standing on
the right hand side of the box, the ref tells him to walk off the pitch.
Streller, who looks nervous as hell, hit's a weak shot towards the centre which
Shovkovsky saves with ease.

Milevsky who looks like a cross between a rock star and Thor the God of Thunder,
does a Panenka. He takes a few steps before chipping a gorgeous right foot shot
which starts curling towards the right hand post before dropping towards the
centre of goal, a prostrate Zuberbuhler watches the ball hit the back of the
net. F*cking brilliant penalty, so good I'm putting on DVD.

Barnetta rattles the crossbar with violent shot.

Rebrov with an awful penalty, poor height, poor placement but Zuberbuhler dives
the wrong way.

Cabanas hits the ball just right of centre but Shovkovsky maintains his policy
of diving at the last second and saves.

Match point to Gusev and he doesn't let his team down, slamming the ball
into the bottom left corner.

I've given Shovkovsky hell in the past but he came up big today. The Ukraine
probably deserved to win but in truth neither team showed much ambition.

Milevsky has already been dubbed the new Shevchenko and from what I have
seen at the U21 European Championships and briefly in this match he's got
tremendous potential.

Ukraine win 3-0 on penalties

The weekend football died, yes I know it's Monday. To those who were complaining
about how the first round, are you satisfied now?

Attendance : 45,000
Assist : n/a

http://soccer-europe.com
Chat room : http://www.lhcw.net/WorldCup
Rss feed : http://soccer-europe.com/RSS/News.xml

David White

Jun 26, 2006, 11:53:24 PM6/26/06
Benny wrote:

> ITALY 1-0 AUSTRALIA
> Totti 94 (Pen)

[snip]

> Grosso burst down the right flank and turned inside
> Bresciano before running into the box, Neill went in with a sliding
> tackled,

Didn't look that way to me. Neill seemed to just go to ground as Grosso approached.
Nothing about it looked like a tackle.

> Grosso turned away from him, hooked his left foot over the
> defender and took a dive and the ref pointed to the spot. Totti
> smashed the ball into the top left corner. It was hard luck on Neill
> who had been outstanding all match but he only has himself to blame.

The Aus analyst Craig Foster didn't agree with the penalty decision, but was critical of
Neill nevertheless for giving the ref the opportunity to see it that way. He thought that
some referees would blow the whistle for that and some wouldn't, so you can't give them
the chance. A real pity for Neill, who is a fantastic defender and was our best player in
the tournament.

David

SHUSSBAR

Jun 27, 2006, 12:01:28 AM6/27/06

David White wrote:
> Benny wrote:
> >
> > ITALY 1-0 AUSTRALIA
> > Totti 94 (Pen)
>
> [snip]
>
> > Grosso burst down the right flank and turned inside
> > Bresciano before running into the box, Neill went in with a sliding
> > tackled,
>
> Didn't look that way to me. Neill seemed to just go to ground as Grosso approached.
> Nothing about it looked like a tackle.

Half tackle / half slding in order to obstruct the path.

David White

Jun 27, 2006, 12:25:31 AM6/27/06
SHUSSBAR wrote:

> David White wrote:
>> Didn't look that way to me. Neill seemed to just go to ground as
>> Grosso approached. Nothing about it looked like a tackle.
>
> Half tackle / half slding in order to obstruct the path.

Well, his feet did not appear to be anywhere near the ball or heading in the ball's
direction. My memory of the replay was that he slid roughly at a right-angle to the path
of the ball, and _away_ from that path.

David

Skagra

Jun 27, 2006, 12:33:24 AM6/27/06
> SWITZERLAND 0-0 UKRAINE

> Gusin shaved a post with an excellent flick header from a corner. The remainder
> of the second half was a complete non event. In extra time Gusin made a
> fantastic block tackle to deny Streller when the forward was sent in on goal.

Bravo for appreciating some of the gritty highlights of this game, for
some reason many so called "football fans" hated this game because
there wasn't enough "action..."

> There were two notable substitutions in extra time. Milevsky, on for Voronin,
> gave an instant spark to the Ukraine attack though I'm not sure what taking off
>

> Milevsky who looks like a cross between a rock star and Thor the God of Thunder,
> does a Panenka. He takes a few steps before chipping a gorgeous right foot shot
> which starts curling towards the right hand post before dropping towards the
> centre of goal, a prostrate Zuberbuhler watches the ball hit the back of the
> net. F*cking brilliant penalty, so good I'm putting on DVD.
>

> Milevsky has already been dubbed the new Shevchenko and from what I have
> seen at the U21 European Championships and briefly in this match he's got
> tremendous potential.

I'm surprised how little the English media is covering Milevski, he
should be as highly regarding as Messi IMO.

Anto

Jun 27, 2006, 12:43:33 AM6/27/06

Benny wrote:

> ITALY 1-0 AUSTRALIA
> Totti 94 (Pen)
>
> In the second minute Toni wasted a superb Del Piero cross, heading wide from
> 6 yards out. The Fiorentina striker headed down a cross to Gilardino, he took
> the ball high off his chest and struck an acrobatic volley which Schwarzer
> parried with ease. His save on another Toni effort was considerably more
> impressive. Pirlo chipped a ball into the box, Toni rolled his maker, Grella,
> and hit a low shot which Schwarzer sliced clear with his left foot, the less
> said about Gilardino's 'header' on the rebound the better. It took the Aussies
> half an hour to get a shot on target. Chipperfield shot straight at Buffon
> following a mix-up in the Italian defence on a set piece. Toni missed another
> sitter, Perrotta helped on a Pirlo cross but the giant striker headed over the
> bar. Moore was lucky not to be sent off for a lunging foul on Toni, he escaped
> without a booking.

I don't recall this tackle but will check it again when I can get the
mental strength. Was Moore two footed and studs up as well?

> Materazzi scythed down Bresciano on the edge of the box and he made sure the ref
> noticed by rolling over four times. Materazzi's foul was no different to Moore's
> challenge on Toni in the first half, in fact that was arguably worse, but the
> ref showed Materazzi a red. Despite their man advantage the Australians failed
> to put the Italian's under a great deal of pressure and Hiddink waited until the
> 80th minute before bringing on Aloisi, Lippi had already introduced Totti and
> Iaquinta. In the last minute Iaquinta missed an absolute gift. Perrotta had run
> into traffic in a packed penalty area, when attempting to smashed the ball
> clear, a defender kicked it against Iaquinta, it bounced off Iaquinta,
> against Moore and back to Iaquinta again but he shot straight at Schwarzer.
> Grosso burst down the right flank and turned inside Bresciano before running
> into the box, Neill went in with a sliding tackled, Grosso turned away from him,
> hooked his left foot over the defender and took a dive and the ref pointed to
> the spot. Totti smashed the ball into the top left corner. It was hard luck on
> Neill who had been outstanding all match but he only has himself to blame.

Excellent analysis as always Benny.

*sob*

Erdal Paksoy

Jun 27, 2006, 2:08:46 AM6/27/06

"Benny" <Be...@soccer-europe.com> wrote in message news:kgvyUsG3...@mail.soccer-europe.com...

> ITALY 1-0 AUSTRALIA
> Totti 94 (Pen)
>
> In the second minute Toni wasted a superb Del Piero cross, heading wide from
> 6 yards out. The Fiorentina striker headed down a cross to Gilardino, he took
> the ball high off his chest and struck an acrobatic volley which Schwarzer
> parried with ease. His save on another Toni effort was considerably more
> impressive. Pirlo chipped a ball into the box, Toni rolled his maker, Grella,
> and hit a low shot which Schwarzer sliced clear with his left foot, the less
> said about Gilardino's 'header' on the rebound the better. It took the Aussies
> half an hour to get a shot on target.

Italy really dominated the chances in the first half, though they still conceded too much
possession for my liking.

> Materazzi scythed down Bresciano on the edge of the box and he made sure the ref
> noticed by rolling over four times. Materazzi's foul was no different to Moore's
> challenge on Toni in the first half, in fact that was arguably worse, but the
> ref showed Materazzi a red. Despite their man advantage the Australians failed

Materazzi got Zambrotta a whole lot worse than he got Bresciano on that tackle.
A yellow would have been about right.

> Grosso burst down the right flank and turned inside Bresciano before running
> into the box, Neill went in with a sliding tackled, Grosso turned away from him,
> hooked his left foot over the defender and took a dive and the ref pointed to
> the spot. Totti smashed the ball into the top left corner. It was hard luck on
> Neill who had been outstanding all match but he only has himself to blame.

Soft penalty in my opinion. I sensed that the referee owed Italy a big call after that
unjustified red on Materazzi. He did not miss the opportunity.

In the end it was a classic Italian win. Good effort by Australia, but they just didn't have enough
to really trouble the Italian defense a whole lot. They lacked the speed and the ball movement to
open up that defense, even up a man. Considering th enumber of first half Italian chances at even strength,
the better team on the day won. Nothing to be ashamed of for Australia. I would probably be mad at
losing like this too. In fact, I remember one day in Euro 2000 ... oh, never mind.

> SWITZERLAND 0-0 UKRAINE

This was the battle of the Turkey-beaters (Ukraine in the group, Switzerland in the playoff).
Eurocroto anyone? Well at least the two teams battled hard and mostly within fair play.
I was impressed by Voronin's effort, even if he made some bad decisions out there.
He ran his butt off the whole time he played. I thought the Swiss would win it in regulation,
they looked fresher, faster, but the Ukrainian back four did some desperate defending at times.

Too bad Ukraine does not have anyone to get the ball to Shevchenko.

Anyway, this lived up to my expectations exactly. I am sure many felt the same.

> net. F*cking brilliant penalty, so good I'm putting on DVD.

I put all the first round ESPN highlights on a DVD. For the playoffs, I have been making my own
12 to 25 minute summaries. No great games worthy of recording in their entirety yet.

> The weekend football died, yes I know it's Monday. To those who were complaining
> about how the first round, are you satisfied now?

There is still hope for Tuesday ...

And I hope you are right about Argentina-Germany.

Erdal

Huw Morris

Jun 27, 2006, 3:54:30 AM6/27/06
Skagra wrote:
> Bravo for appreciating some of the gritty highlights of this game, for
> some reason many so called "football fans" hated this game because
> there wasn't enough "action..."

The reason why football fans hated this game was because neither side made
any effort to win the game. At no point did either team push forward in
sufficient numbers to make a goal likely. When you play with fear like
that, it kills the game stone dead.

Huw

Catenaccio

Jun 27, 2006, 4:44:52 AM6/27/06

Erdal Paksoy wrote:
> "Benny" <Be...@soccer-europe.com> wrote in message news:kgvyUsG3...@mail.soccer-europe.com...
> >
> > ITALY 1-0 AUSTRALIA
> > Totti 94 (Pen)
> >
> > In the second minute Toni wasted a superb Del Piero cross, heading wide from
> > 6 yards out. The Fiorentina striker headed down a cross to Gilardino, he took
> > the ball high off his chest and struck an acrobatic volley which Schwarzer
> > parried with ease. His save on another Toni effort was considerably more
> > impressive. Pirlo chipped a ball into the box, Toni rolled his maker, Grella,
> > and hit a low shot which Schwarzer sliced clear with his left foot, the less
> > said about Gilardino's 'header' on the rebound the better. It took the Aussies
> > half an hour to get a shot on target.
>
> Italy really dominated the chances in the first half, though they still conceded too much
> possession for my liking.

This is a big debate. It'll be interesting to see how much possession
Italy has had in the 4 matches so far. I posit that in all 4 they've
had less possession than the opposition at least in the first half
(they certainly propelled this impression). Anyway the key point is
that this system relies less on possession but more on quick exchanges
in midfield and more direct balls to the strikers. And it is for this
very reason that it looks rather conservative (again) to the neutrals
(report in The Times today is a great example).

Robbie

Jun 27, 2006, 5:08:41 AM6/27/06
On 27 Jun 2006 01:44:52 -0700, "Catenaccio"
<calcioca...@inter-online.com> wrote:

Just wondering what you think of Italy's chances now? I think they'll
beat Ukraine but I have doubts after that simply becasue of the
strikers. If Toni had scored from the first game, he's probably have
about 4 now. As it is, he has none.

Catenaccio

Jun 27, 2006, 6:47:39 AM6/27/06

This also relates to the concerns about the lack of goals from open
play. Discard the two counter attack/defensive error goals (Inzaghi's
and Iaquinta's), there has been reliance on set pieces. Having said
that the buildup play hasn't been bad at all.

Toni has other attributes besides goals (hold up play excellent). I'm
all for starting Inzaghi against Ukraine but that seems very unlikely.
Incidentally nobody seems keen on Barzagli.

Assuming at this stage Italy can get past Ukraine, they should keep the
same tactics, akin to yesterday, against Argentina (conceding
possession and hit direct balls quickly). If they get Germany I expect
some shuffling.

imhotep

Jun 27, 2006, 6:54:48 AM6/27/06
On 2006-06-27 18:44:52 +1000, "Catenaccio"
<calcioca...@inter-online.com> said:

Italy do tend to concede posesion. However what is done of that
posession is all that counts. Australia just didn't threaten Italy.
They had perhaps 1 decent shot and a couple of half chances. Italy had
several awesome chances. In the end they almost paid the price
for not taking those chances. Strikers are just not sharp at the
moment. Perhaps Lippi should start with Inzaghi.

ken.o...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2006, 8:00:53 AM6/27/06
SHUSSBAR wrote:
> Half tackle / half slding in order to obstruct the path.

I figured he was trying to block a shot but the shot didn't come, so
the attacker took advantage of the situation to draw the penalty. Same
way a basketball player fakes to get his defender in the air and then
jumps right into him to draw a foul.

Robbie

Jun 27, 2006, 8:48:07 AM6/27/06
On 27 Jun 2006 03:47:39 -0700, "Catenaccio"
<calcioca...@inter-online.com> wrote:

>> Just wondering what you think of Italy's chances now? I think they'll
>> beat Ukraine but I have doubts after that simply becasue of the
>> strikers. If Toni had scored from the first game, he's probably have
>> about 4 now. As it is, he has none.
>
>This also relates to the concerns about the lack of goals from open
>play. Discard the two counter attack/defensive error goals (Inzaghi's
>and Iaquinta's), there has been reliance on set pieces. Having said
>that the buildup play hasn't been bad at all.
>
>Toni has other attributes besides goals (hold up play excellent).

He's very impressive but has been unlucky really.

>I'm
>all for starting Inzaghi against Ukraine but that seems very unlikely.
>Incidentally nobody seems keen on Barzagli.

What's wrong with starting Inzaghi and Toni together? Theoritically,
they look an ideal partnership.

>Assuming at this stage Italy can get past Ukraine, they should keep the
>same tactics, akin to yesterday, against Argentina (conceding
>possession and hit direct balls quickly).

That might be the best way to beat the Argies. Mexico attempted this
and England beat them in a friendly this way. Though, let's be frank
that wasn't a concious tactic by England as far as I'm aware and it
was a tad unfortunate for Argentina.

Crocking Riquleme is always an option too as all their play goes
through him more or less.

Benny

Jun 27, 2006, 9:08:22 AM6/27/06
> Subject : World Cup 2006 Last 16 - Day Three
> From : Anto <phut...@hotmail.com>

>I don't recall this tackle but will check it again when I can get the
>mental strength. Was Moore two footed and studs up as well?

It wasn't two footed and there were no studs but I don't see how it's
less of a foul than the one by Materazzi :

http://soccer-europe.com/WorldCup2006/MoorevsToni.avi

>Excellent analysis as always Benny.

Thanks.

http://soccer-europe.com
Rss feed : http://soccer-europe.com/RSS/News.xml

SHUSSBAR

Jun 27, 2006, 9:49:06 AM6/27/06

ken.o...@gmail.com wrote:
> SHUSSBAR wrote:
> > Half tackle / half slding in order to obstruct the path.
>
> I figured he was trying to block a shot but the shot didn't come,

I agree with that. he anticipated a cross.

so
> the attacker took advantage of the situation to draw the penalty. Same
> way a basketball player fakes to get his defender in the air and then
> jumps right into him to draw a foul.

http://img236.imageshack.us/my.php?image=italydive9yy.gif

Catenaccio

Jun 27, 2006, 10:21:58 AM6/27/06

Robbie wrote:
> On 27 Jun 2006 03:47:39 -0700, "Catenaccio"
> <calcioca...@inter-online.com> wrote:
>

> >> Just wondering what you think of Italy's chances now? I think they'll
> >> beat Ukraine but I have doubts after that simply becasue of the
> >> strikers. If Toni had scored from the first game, he's probably have
> >> about 4 now. As it is, he has none.
> >
> >This also relates to the concerns about the lack of goals from open
> >play. Discard the two counter attack/defensive error goals (Inzaghi's
> >and Iaquinta's), there has been reliance on set pieces. Having said
> >that the buildup play hasn't been bad at all.
> >
> >Toni has other attributes besides goals (hold up play excellent).
>
> He's very impressive but has been unlucky really.
>
> >I'm
> >all for starting Inzaghi against Ukraine but that seems very unlikely.
> >Incidentally nobody seems keen on Barzagli.
>
> What's wrong with starting Inzaghi and Toni together? Theoritically,
> they look an ideal partnership.

I can only see Inzaghi coming on at this stage when Italy are trailing.
Defending a lead they'd certainly opt for Iaquinta. Anyway I hope Pippo
gets a chance.

> >Assuming at this stage Italy can get past Ukraine, they should keep the
> >same tactics, akin to yesterday, against Argentina (conceding
> >possession and hit direct balls quickly).
>
> That might be the best way to beat the Argies. Mexico attempted this
> and England beat them in a friendly this way. Though, let's be frank
> that wasn't a concious tactic by England as far as I'm aware and it
> was a tad unfortunate for Argentina.

In many ways Italy has the armoury to play this way if you look at
Argentina's defence. Either Ayala or Heinze versus Toni is an even
match. Wide right is where Italy can cause them serious problems with
Perrotta and Zambrotta down Sorin's throat.

Let's not forget the 1/4 finals though...

> Crocking Riquleme is always an option too as all their play goes
> through him more or less.

On his day Pirlo can be as threatening as Riquelme in my view.
Argentina do have more creative alternatives in midfield though that's
for sure.

David White

Jun 27, 2006, 6:24:01 PM6/27/06

I think that's a bit harsh. You can't completely ignore your defence and the possibility
of a counter-attack. Both teams attacked, with Italy creating a number of good chances
until the send-off, and then Australia did most of the attacking, but not recklessly. Look
at Ecuador against England for a team completely unwilling to attack.

David

Anto

Jun 27, 2006, 8:24:01 PM6/27/06

Benny wrote:
> > Subject : World Cup 2006 Last 16 - Day Three
> > From : Anto <phut...@hotmail.com>
>
> >I don't recall this tackle but will check it again when I can get the
> >mental strength. Was Moore two footed and studs up as well?
>
> It wasn't two footed and there were no studs but I don't see how it's
> less of a foul than the one by Materazzi :
>
> http://soccer-europe.com/WorldCup2006/MoorevsToni.avi

OK - thanks for that . Difference is, Moore gets the ball first -
100%. No studs so play on would be the correct call in my view.

Diabolik

Jun 27, 2006, 8:50:33 PM6/27/06

"Anto" <phut...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I can see high studs.

Benny

Jun 27, 2006, 9:15:05 PM6/27/06
> Subject : World Cup 2006 Last 16 - Day Three
> From : Anto <phut...@hotmail.com>

>OK - thanks for that . Difference is, Moore gets the ball first -

>100%. No studs so play on would be the correct call in my view.

It was a lunging foul, whether he gets the ball is irrelevant.

Benny

Jun 27, 2006, 9:15:06 PM6/27/06
> Subject : World Cup 2006 Last 16 - Day Three
> From : Catenaccio <calcioca...@inter-online.com>

>This is a big debate. It'll be interesting to see how much possession
>Italy has had in the 4 matches so far. I posit that in all 4 they've
>had less possession than the opposition at least in the first half
>(they certainly propelled this impression). Anyway the key point is
>that this system relies less on possession but more on quick exchanges
>in midfield and more direct balls to the strikers. And it is for this
>very reason that it looks rather conservative (again) to the neutrals
>(report in The Times today is a great example).

Italy 48% - 52% Australia (10 vs 11)
Italy 55% - 45% Czech Republic (11 vs 10)
Italy 54% - 46% US (10 vs 9)
Italy 46% - 54% Ghana

Ghana had more possession than 3/4 of their opponents, sharing 50-50
with, no not Brazil but the Czechs.

Benny

Jun 27, 2006, 9:15:13 PM6/27/06
> Subject : World Cup 2006 Last 16 - Day Three
> From : Skagra <skagr...@yahoo.com>

>Bravo for appreciating some of the gritty highlights of this game, for
>some reason many so called "football fans" hated this game because
>there wasn't enough "action..."

I didn't appreciate it, I have to comment on every match.

>I'm surprised how little the English media is covering Milevski, he
>should be as highly regarding as Messi IMO.

I wouldn't go that far, remember Messi has done it for Barca in the
league and in Europe. If Milevski starts alongside Shevchenko, instead
of the useless Voronin, he's capable of giving the Italian defence a
major headache.

Benny

Jun 27, 2006, 9:15:12 PM6/27/06
> Subject : World Cup 2006 Last 16 - Day Three
> From : David White <n...@email.provided>

>The Aus analyst Craig Foster didn't agree with the penalty decision,
>but was critical of Neill nevertheless for giving the ref the
>opportunity to see it that way. He thought that some referees would
>blow the whistle for that and some wouldn't, so you can't give them
>the chance. A real pity for Neill, who is a fantastic defender and was
>our best player in the tournament.
>
>David

For what it's worth Barcelona are interested in signing Neill.

ken.o...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2006, 10:31:25 PM6/27/06
David White wrote:

> I think that's a bit harsh. You can't completely ignore your defence and the possibility
> of a counter-attack. Both teams attacked, with Italy creating a number of good chances

Ah, that explains it: Huw was talking about Swiss-Ukraine, not
Italy-Aus. ;-)

David White

Jun 27, 2006, 11:04:38 PM6/27/06

Oops. Sorry for the mixup.

David

JK

Jun 28, 2006, 2:15:43 PM6/28/06
Benny wrote:

> For what it's worth Barcelona are interested in signing Neill.

The demise of Blackburn's Oceania All-Stars backline?

Anto

Jun 28, 2006, 9:13:00 PM6/28/06

Pure gold!