To all the fake posters

Dustin Christmann

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

Terrific job. Even though I know the result, I'm still a bit confused looking
at the headers.

--
Thanx, = Dallas Burn, 1997 US Open Cup champions -- We've got
Dustin Christmann = your "double double" RIGHT HERE.

Chuck Pearson

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

Dustin Christmann (dus...@nortel.ca) wrote:
: Terrific job. Even though I know the result, I'm still a bit confused looking
: at the headers.

i'll second that. i looked at all of the scores in the header and i was
dang convinced that the US had lost.

then i found dustin's post and drooled.

all bets are off, boys and girls. for the gold cup, for the world cup,
for everything. this is so huge.

chuck
--
[thanx to douglas giancoli.]
if music be the food of physics, play on.

Paul Mettewie

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

Chuck Pearson wrote:

> Dustin Christmann (dus...@nortel.ca) wrote:
> : Terrific job. Even though I know the result, I'm still a bit
> confused looking
> : at the headers.
>
> i'll second that. i looked at all of the scores in the header and i
> was
> dang convinced that the US had lost.
>
> then i found dustin's post and drooled.
>
> all bets are off, boys and girls. for the gold cup, for the world
> cup,
> for everything. this is so huge.

"Whoa....!"as our resident Texan Dustin would say, "hold on there,podner
and don't git yer britches all bunched up!"

This is the Gold Cup, in February when most top world
players are thinking about their domestic leagues. It isn't
the World Cup, or qualifying, heck it ain't the Copa America!

A very nice win, even a historic one, but if you think this
makes the USA anything but (still) a longshot for qualifying
for the second round, you are really kidding yourself.

One thing I do know -- Kasey Keller could become a
pretty rich guy. You know some big team in Europe now
needs a keeper and if they have a ex-com spot open, they
will gladly shower Leicester City and KK with some
not inconsiderable amount of lira/marks/francs/pesos/pounds!

Keller left the ranks of the competent and joined that of
the great on Sunday....there are precious few keepers in
the world that can create miracles like we saw on Sunday.
He had every angle figured out and made all the right
decisions.....a courageous and intelligent game.

From now on, anyone putting Keller in a World
Ten Best Keeper list will not be laughed at. Maybe
there will be an argument, but no smirks. The man
is for real....

-Riff

Dustin Christmann

Feb 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/12/98

In article <34E287CA...@ix.netcom.com>,

Paul Mettewie <pan...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>"Whoa....!"as our resident Texan Dustin would say, "hold on there,podner
>and don't git yer britches all bunched up!"

I would just like to state for the record that I have never said any such
thing. In fact, most people would not guess that I am a native Texan if I
never told them, since I don't speak with a Texas accent, nor do I use most
of the colloquialisms associated with Texas and the Southwest.

I have never in my life said "lower than a snake's belly in a wagon rut" or
"hotter than a fur coat in Marfa," nor have I ever addressed anyone as
"podnuh" or "shuguh," though I did once address a woman as "darlin'" when
I was drunk. Finally, I don't like country music, although I can two-step,
have never owned a pair of boots or a stetson, can't ride a horse, and don't
like the Dallas Cowboys. I've never even owned a pickup truck, though the new
Fords appeal to me.

But I do observe March 2 every year, think "King of the Hill" is ten times
more realistic than "Dallas" ever was, salivate at the thought of beef brisket
and chicken-fried steak, look at the high school football scores in the paper
every Saturday morning in the fall, have a girlfriend that knows how to shoot,
have a set of longhorns -- on my wall at home, and have even bought Pearl Beer
by the case. I can explain to you exactly why Texas != "The South" or vice
versa, can tell you what the "secret ingredient" in Dr. Pepper is, can tell
you which nations' six flags have flown over Texas, and can tell you why it's
proper for the Texas flag to fly at the same height as the American flag.
And although I sometimes think about what an independent Texas would be like,
I think that Richard McLaren is a kook.

But I still have no idea why Dallas is in Dallas County, Lubbock is in Lubbock
County, and El Paso is in El Paso County, but Houston isn't in Houston County
and Austin isn't in Austin County.

Thank you.

Stan collins

Feb 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/12/98

Dustin Christmann wrote:

> In article <34E287CA...@ix.netcom.com>,
> Paul Mettewie <pan...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> >"Whoa....!"as our resident Texan Dustin would say, "hold on there,podner
> >and don't git yer britches all bunched up!"
>
> I would just like to state for the record that I have never said any such
> thing. In fact, most people would not guess that I am a native Texan if I
> never told them, since I don't speak with a Texas accent, nor do I use most
> of the colloquialisms associated with Texas and the Southwest.

In person, you'd probably spot me as Texan a lot quicker. I don't use the
colourful colloquiallisms, but I have acquired something of an accent over the
years I've lived here.

> But I do observe March 2 every year, think "King of the Hill" is ten times
> more realistic than "Dallas" ever was,

A conservative estimate.

> salivate at the thought of beef brisket
> and chicken-fried steak, look at the high school football scores in the paper
> every Saturday morning in the fall, have a girlfriend that knows how to shoot,
> have a set of longhorns -- on my wall at home, and have even bought Pearl Beer
> by the case.

In which case you're not a true Texan. A true Texan would buy Shiner Bock by the
case, boldly proclaiming that it's not crap. (in reality, it is a bitter duel
between Shiner Bock and Lone Star beer for Carppiest beer in Texas).

> I can explain to you exactly why Texas != "The South" or vice
> versa, can tell you what the "secret ingredient" in Dr. Pepper is, can tell
> you which nations' six flags have flown over Texas, and can tell you why it's
> proper for the Texas flag to fly at the same height as the American flag.

But you probably don't know who Gregorio Cortes is. Part of Texas's "other
legacy."

> And although I sometimes think about what an independent Texas would be like,
> I think that Richard McLaren is a kook.

It would be a member of OPEC. It almost became one, anyway.

> But I still have no idea why Dallas is in Dallas County, Lubbock is in Lubbock
> County, and El Paso is in El Paso County, but Houston isn't in Houston County
> and Austin isn't in Austin County.

And, closer to your home, why isn't Fort Worth in Fort Worth County?--
Stan "the full of shite man" collins (Thanks to Colin Morris)

Whoever comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children,
brothers and sisters, yes, and even life itself, cannot be my disciple.
Luke 14:26

If my answers frighten you Vincent, then you should cease asking scary questions.
--Jules Winnfield, "Pulp Fiction"

Dustin Christmann

Feb 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/12/98

In article <6bvnbj$n...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>,
Stan collins <scol...@trinity.edu> wrote:

>Dustin Christmann wrote:
>> salivate at the thought of beef brisket
>> and chicken-fried steak, look at the high school football scores in the paper
>> every Saturday morning in the fall, have a girlfriend that knows how to shoot,
>> have a set of longhorns -- on my wall at home, and have even bought Pearl Beer
>> by the case.
>
>In which case you're not a true Texan. A true Texan would buy Shiner Bock by the
>case, boldly proclaiming that it's not crap. (in reality, it is a bitter duel
>between Shiner Bock and Lone Star beer for Carppiest beer in Texas).

Oh, I agree with you, but I was in college at the time. Pearl's a lot cheaper
than Shiner, and marginally cheaper than Lone Star.

>> I can explain to you exactly why Texas != "The South" or vice
>> versa, can tell you what the "secret ingredient" in Dr. Pepper is, can tell
>> you which nations' six flags have flown over Texas, and can tell you why it's
>> proper for the Texas flag to fly at the same height as the American flag.
>
>But you probably don't know who Gregorio Cortes is. Part of Texas's "other
>legacy."

I must confess that I don't. I must have missed that day in my Texas History
class.

>> But I still have no idea why Dallas is in Dallas County, Lubbock is in Lubbock
>> County, and El Paso is in El Paso County, but Houston isn't in Houston County
>> and Austin isn't in Austin County.
>
>And, closer to your home, why isn't Fort Worth in Fort Worth County?--

Ah, but there is no Fort Worth County. There are, however, Houston and Austin
Counties, neither of which have their namesake cities in them.

rag...@nortel.spam

Feb 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/13/98

Dustin Christmann wrote:
> >> salivate at the thought of beef brisket
> >> and chicken-fried steak, look at the high school football scores in the paper
> >> every Saturday morning in the fall, have a girlfriend that knows how to shoot,
> >> have a set of longhorns -- on my wall at home, and have even bought Pearl Beer
> >> by the case.

I was raised in Texas by Yankees and so have no accent at all, but can
certainly
put one on when circumstances dictate (like when dealing with our
customers in
Deep East Texas). Since moving to Georgia a year ago, I've found
Mexican food
(which I formerly took for granted) is the true nectar of Texas. When
visiting
Dallas for Burn games or business, now, Mexican food and real Bar-b-Que
are
always my first two meals.

> >In which case you're not a true Texan. A true Texan would buy Shiner Bock by the
> >case, boldly proclaiming that it's not crap. (in reality, it is a bitter duel
> >between Shiner Bock and Lone Star beer for Carppiest beer in Texas).
>
> Oh, I agree with you, but I was in college at the time. Pearl's a lot cheaper
> than Shiner, and marginally cheaper than Lone Star.

Compared to Shiner, Pearl is delicious. I nominate Shiner as the most
disgusting
beer made in Texas. Remember Little Pearl Cream Ale ?

> >> I can explain to you exactly why Texas != "The South" or vice
> >> versa, can tell you what the "secret ingredient" in Dr. Pepper is, can tell
> >> you which nations' six flags have flown over Texas, and can tell you why it's
> >> proper for the Texas flag to fly at the same height as the American flag.

Alas, the secret ingredient in DP was the spendid old art-deco Dr.
Pepper building.
When people asked me why I was moving out-of-state, I told them it was
to avoid
being around when they tore out that old building.
Spain, France, Mexico, Texas, Confederate SA, United SA.

-Ross

Paul Mettewie

Feb 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/13/98

Dustin Christmann wrote:

> In article <34E287CA...@ix.netcom.com>,
> Paul Mettewie <pan...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> >"Whoa....!"as our resident Texan Dustin would say, "hold on
> there,podner
> >and don't git yer britches all bunched up!"
>
> I would just like to state for the record that I have never said any
> such
> thing. In fact, most people would not guess that I am a native Texan
> if I
> never told them, since I don't speak with a Texas accent, nor do I use
> most
> of the colloquialisms associated with Texas and the Southwest.

Dustin -

I hope you understand that I am merely attempting
to alleviate my grief at the realization that Moratti
blundered by putting his money into buying players
instead of like Juve's Agnelli who more wisely bought
referees.

Besides I remember Dallas quite fondly -- is Confetti's
nightclub still there?

And you're right about Lone Star -- holy moly, but
it is just about as bad as Grain Belt, which used to
sell for 60 cents a six pack when I was in college.
When I was a poor student, we'd save up and get
two cases for 5 bucks. Then we'd really pay later.
And pay. And pay. And pay again.

Of course, as bad as Grain Belt was (aptly named
for the hops and barley in it did indeed belt your
intestines....) it was not as bad as the all-time worst
(and worst-named) - BLATZ beer.

A case of Blatz stayed on top of our fridge (it didn't
even merit being cooled) for an entire term before
in desperation, our penniless group finally consumed
it in a post finals party. Without a doubt, the worst
after/before/during taste I have had the displeasure
to measure upon my tongue.

I swore off beer for almost a month after that one.

-Riff"And why knock Texas when there's Oklahoma...."Ster

Dustin Christmann

Feb 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/14/98

Subject changed to avoid offending my UT sensibilities (Yes, I know that
"Texas, Our Texas" is the state song, but it's all the school song of those
slack-jawed aggeez, who are to unoriginal to come up with anything on their
own, as opposed to "The Eyes of Texas," which was originally penned in the
turn of the century as a mildly derisive tribute to a strict, no-nonsense, and
seemingly all-seeing former UT president -- I believe it was Prather.)

In article <34E463...@nortel.spam>, <rag...@nortel.spam> wrote:

>I was raised in Texas by Yankees and so have no accent at all, but can
>certainly
>put one on when circumstances dictate (like when dealing with our
>customers in
>Deep East Texas).

People tell me that I sometimes slip into an accent when talking to relatives,
who speak with a thicker accent than I.

>Since moving to Georgia a year ago, I've found Mexican food
>(which I formerly took for granted) is the true nectar of Texas. When
>visiting Dallas for Burn games or business, now, Mexican food and real
>Bar-b-Que are always my first two meals.

My mother, who was born and grew up in Austin, but now lives in South Carolina,
is the same way. Whenever she visits me in Dallas or our relatives in Austin,
her first order of business is always a good Tex-Mex meal.

>> >In which case you're not a true Texan. A true Texan would buy Shiner Bock by the
>> >case, boldly proclaiming that it's not crap. (in reality, it is a bitter duel
>> >between Shiner Bock and Lone Star beer for Carppiest beer in Texas).
>>
>> Oh, I agree with you, but I was in college at the time. Pearl's a lot cheaper
>> than Shiner, and marginally cheaper than Lone Star.
>
>Compared to Shiner, Pearl is delicious. I nominate Shiner as the most
>disgusting beer made in Texas. Remember Little Pearl Cream Ale ?

No, but I would dispute your rating. Pearl is OK, compared to other cheap
beers, but it's well behind Shiner in quality. I'll grant you that Shiner
is not the best stuff out there, but it beats Pearl and Lone Star by a mile.
The really curious thing is that all three are brewed within an hour's drive
of San Antonio, with Austin the Texas home of microbrews, and Houston (home
of an Anheuser-Busch brewery) and Fort Worth (home of a Miller brewery) the
Texas homes of corporate suds.

So even though the Rockets > Spurs, San Antonio beer > Houston beer.

>Alas, the secret ingredient in DP was the spendid old art-deco Dr. Pepper
>building.

It's not the answer I was looking for, actually. Besides, everyone knows that
the best DP is to be had at the DP bottler in Waco, where they actually use
real sugar in it, instead of corn syrup, which is in the DP you get everywhere
else.

>When people asked me why I was moving out-of-state, I told them it was
>to avoid being around when they tore out that old building.

Good news. They're not tearing it down. However, IIRC they're also not
keeping it entirely intact, but the bottom line is that the popularity of the
DART rail has spurred interest in development close to the rail line, including
the old Dr. Pepper complex, which is next to the Mockingbird rail station.

ObSoccer: Only three more weeks until the Burn's first match of the 1998
season, the semifinal of the CONCACAF Cup Winners Cup.

Mike Mcneff

Feb 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/14/98

Dustin Christmann wrote:

> Subject changed to avoid offending my UT sensibilities (Yes, I know that
> "Texas, Our Texas" is the state song, but it's all the school song of those
> slack-jawed aggeez, who are to unoriginal to come up with anything on their
> own, as opposed to "The Eyes of Texas," which was originally penned in the
> turn of the century as a mildly derisive tribute to a strict, no-nonsense, and
> seemingly all-seeing former UT president -- I believe it was Prather.)

I've always hated "Texas, Our Texas", now I know why :)

> >I was raised in Texas by Yankees and so have no accent at all, but can
> >certainly
> >put one on when circumstances dictate (like when dealing with our
> >customers in
> >Deep East Texas).
>
> People tell me that I sometimes slip into an accent when talking to relatives,
> who speak with a thicker accent than I.

My accent completely depends on who I'm talking to, and how long I've
been away from Texas. When I first moved to Seattle, for about the
first month people would comment right away on my "Texas" accent, but
now (after about 6 months) people are usually surprised when I tell them
I'm from Texas, because I "don't have an accent". Of course, even
without the "accent", I still give it away by saying "y'all".

Of course, growing up in Houston, we thought it was the other people who
had the accents.

> >Since moving to Georgia a year ago, I've found Mexican food
> >(which I formerly took for granted) is the true nectar of Texas. When
> >visiting Dallas for Burn games or business, now, Mexican food and real
> >Bar-b-Que are always my first two meals.
>
> My mother, who was born and grew up in Austin, but now lives in South Carolina,
> is the same way. Whenever she visits me in Dallas or our relatives in Austin,
> her first order of business is always a good Tex-Mex meal.

My first order of business is Tex-Mex, and after a reasonable period of
digestion, BBQ. I don't think there is a single BBQ joint in the entire
Pacific Northwest.

> >> Oh, I agree with you, but I was in college at the time. Pearl's a lot cheaper
> >> than Shiner, and marginally cheaper than Lone Star.
> >
> >Compared to Shiner, Pearl is delicious. I nominate Shiner as the most
> >disgusting beer made in Texas. Remember Little Pearl Cream Ale ?
>
> No, but I would dispute your rating. Pearl is OK, compared to other cheap
> beers, but it's well behind Shiner in quality. I'll grant you that Shiner
> is not the best stuff out there, but it beats Pearl and Lone Star by a mile.
> The really curious thing is that all three are brewed within an hour's drive
> of San Antonio, with Austin the Texas home of microbrews, and Houston (home
> of an Anheuser-Busch brewery) and Fort Worth (home of a Miller brewery) the
> Texas homes of corporate suds.

Pearl kicks Shiner and Lone Star's ass. Does it still come in those
little bottles with the puzzles inside the bottle cap? And man, that
stuff was light on the old wallet.

> So even though the Rockets > Spurs, San Antonio beer > Houston beer.

Yeah, but Austin beer > United States beer.

You can't find good Celis anywhere.

Bill.

Stan collins

Feb 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/14/98

Mike Mcneff wrote:

> Dustin Christmann wrote:
> >
> > Subject changed to avoid offending my UT sensibilities (Yes, I know that
> > "Texas, Our Texas" is the state song, but it's all the school song of those
> > slack-jawed aggeez, who are to unoriginal to come up with anything on their
> > own, as opposed to "The Eyes of Texas," which was originally penned in the
> > turn of the century as a mildly derisive tribute to a strict, no-nonsense, and
> > seemingly all-seeing former UT president -- I believe it was Prather.)
>
> I've always hated "Texas, Our Texas", now I know why :)

It is a cheesy song. "The Eyes of Texas" is, in fact, better.

> > >I was raised in Texas by Yankees and so have no accent at all, but can
> > >certainly
> > >put one on when circumstances dictate (like when dealing with our
> > >customers in
> > >Deep East Texas).
> >
> > People tell me that I sometimes slip into an accent when talking to relatives,
> > who speak with a thicker accent than I.
>
> My accent completely depends on who I'm talking to, and how long I've
> been away from Texas. When I first moved to Seattle, for about the
> first month people would comment right away on my "Texas" accent, but
> now (after about 6 months) people are usually surprised when I tell them
> I'm from Texas, because I "don't have an accent". Of course, even
> without the "accent", I still give it away by saying "y'all".
>
> Of course, growing up in Houston, we thought it was the other people who
> had the accents.

It was. Houston isn't part of Texas, as we all know.

> > >Compared to Shiner, Pearl is delicious. I nominate Shiner as the most
> > >disgusting beer made in Texas. Remember Little Pearl Cream Ale ?
> >
> > No, but I would dispute your rating. Pearl is OK, compared to other cheap
> > beers, but it's well behind Shiner in quality. I'll grant you that Shiner
> > is not the best stuff out there, but it beats Pearl and Lone Star by a mile.
> > The really curious thing is that all three are brewed within an hour's drive
> > of San Antonio, with Austin the Texas home of microbrews, and Houston (home
> > of an Anheuser-Busch brewery) and Fort Worth (home of a Miller brewery) the
> > Texas homes of corporate suds.
>
> Pearl kicks Shiner and Lone Star's ass. Does it still come in those
> little bottles with the puzzles inside the bottle cap? And man, that
> stuff was light on the old wallet.
>
> > So even though the Rockets > Spurs, San Antonio beer > Houston beer.

> Yeah, but Austin beer > United States beer.

And San Antonio or Austin > Houston in general.--