World Cup 2006 - 3rd/4th Place Play-Off

Benny

Jul 8, 2006, 8:13:59 PM7/8/06

GERMANY 3-1 PORTUGAL
Schweinsteiger 56, 79 Gomes 88
Petit 61 (og)

Metzelder headed down a Schneider free kick and Kehl flashed a volley just wide
of a post. Simao dribbled from the half-way line and played in Pauleta with a
lovely disguised pass, Kahn covered his near post and like an idiot Pauleta shot
straight at him. Ricardo, trying to look busy for the cameras, made an
un-necessarily spectacular save from a Podolski free kick.

Ricardo, who is an accident waiting to happen, was beaten for the second time in
the tournament when he misjudged the flight of speculative shot from
Schweinsteiger. Five minutes later he was picking the ball of his net again when
Petit sliced a Schweinsteiger free kick past him. It took the Portuguese over an
hour to really trouble Kahn, Deco forcing the Bayern 'keeper into a superb two
handed save. Minutes after coming on as a substitute for Klose, Neuville sprayed
a ball out wide to Schweinsteiger, Petit backed off as the midfielder ran in on
goal, Schweinsteiger took a step inside and let rip with an amazing right foot
shot which arched away from Ricardo before nestling into the corner of the net.
Kahn was almost caught by a ferocious 40 yard Ronaldo free kick, deceived by the
flight of the ball he managed to make a split second adjustment and punch the
ball clear. Figo, in his last ever international appearance, and Gomes combined
to score a consolation goal. Gomes met Figo's outswinging cross with a brilliant
diving header.

That reprehensible cheating shit Ronaldo, who was once again booed unmercifully,
should have been booked for an outrageous dive in the box at the end of the
first half. He's in for a long season regardless of whether he stays at Man
United or leaves for another club.

Attendance : 52,000
Assists : Kehl, n/a, Neuville, Figo

http://soccer-europe.com
Chat room : http://www.lhcw.net/WorldCup
Rss feed : http://soccer-europe.com/RSS/News.xml

Mark V.

Jul 8, 2006, 8:21:32 PM7/8/06

Benny wrote:

> lovely disguised pass, Kahn covered his near post and like an idiot Pauleta shot
> straight at him.

> to score a consolation goal. Gomes met Figo's outswinging cross with a brilliant
> diving header.

Coincidence. or do these statments when considered together reveal one
of the bigger coaching blunders of the tournament?

Benny

Jul 8, 2006, 8:37:59 PM7/8/06
> Subject : World Cup 2006 - 3rd/4th Place Play-Off
> From : Mark V. <markva...@yahoo.com>

>Coincidence. or do these statments when considered together reveal one
>of the bigger coaching blunders of the tournament?

I don't think there's much to choose between Nuno Gomes and Pauleta. IMO
a bigger mistake was not taking Quaresma.

http://soccer-europe.com
Rss feed : http://soccer-europe.com/RSS/News.xml

JK

Jul 10, 2006, 11:54:34 AM7/10/06
Benny wrote:

> GERMANY 3-1 PORTUGAL
> Schweinsteiger 56, 79 Gomes 88
> Petit 61 (og)
>

> That reprehensible cheating shit Ronaldo, who was once again booed unmercifully,
> should have been booked for an outrageous dive in the box at the end of the
> first half. He's in for a long season regardless of whether he stays at Man
> United or leaves for another club.

I can think of nothing lamer than diving in the frickin' CONSOLATION
game. That's just pathological.