Trump may well be little more than a distraction.

1 view

Journalist?

Dec 31, 2016, 3:44:39 PM12/31/16

While we're watching him make faces and dance around, we'll be ignoring what is going on in the background. Pence, Ryan and McConnell will be doing their magic acts while we have our eyes focused on the clown. One of the big worries I have is that the dominionist fundamentalists who have wormed their way into our Congress will push legislation through that moves the nation closer to a theocracy and confirm Supreme Court Justices who will find that legislation meets constitutional tests.

Don't be distracted by the funny clown at the center of the stage. Over on stage right, there is stuff going on that is really, really important. Keep your eye on the people for whom Trump is the distraction that lets them do their sleight of hand maneuvers.

There's some scary stuff about to appear. Watch for it and don't focus totally on the buffoon on the stage. Watch out for the players doing tricks elsewhere on the stage. That's where things are really happening. Your rights may depend on it.