They're remaking The Day the Earth Stood Still

Patient Zero 2.0...Hitman333, Lord Hatred and Rockboy's #1 hate target..SWEET!!!

Feb 23, 2007, 3:41:39 AM2/23/07
The Day the Earth Stood Still Being Remade for 2008 - Confirmed!
February 21, 2007
by Alex Billington

Apparently Box Office Mojo, the best website for all things box office
earnings, has updated their schedule for summer 2008 and included a listing
of The Day the Earth Stood Still to open on May 9th, 2008 (one week after
Iron Man). The original is a sci-fi classic 1951 movie about an alien and a
robot that land on Earth to try and save the world from being destroyed.
IMDB doesn't even have a listing for this remake, but Box Office Mojo claims
it's being produced by Fox, fast-tracked for a spot in 2008's busy summer.

Is this real? We don't know yet, but we'll put in some requests with Fox to
find out. I can bet if it is real, it's going to be directed by someone who
will give all sci-fi geeks quite a tingle. This movie is a very well-known
classic and I don't think they'd risk screwing up a remake - like War of the
Worlds, another 50's classic, fortunately they did a pretty good job with
that. Updated inside!

Update: Fox confirmed with us that this is true and the date is correct,
meaning a The Day the Earth Stood Still remake is definitely underway for
summer 2008!

--
There is the right way, the wrong way, and the Jack Bauer way. It's
basically the right way but much faster with a large body count.

Caca Suave

Feb 23, 2007, 8:58:27 AM2/23/07
On Feb 23, 3:41 am, "Patient Zero 2.0...Hitman333, Lord Hatred and
Rockboy's #1 hate target..SWEET!!!"

Look.
I wasnt gonna really say anything but I saw your signature(above) and
I thought to myself.. Jesus Christ. You gotta be a complete tool. Do
everyone a favor and really pay attention what I am writing. You are
not at all entertaining to this discussion. You copy/paste things that
have already been copy/pasted by the usual group of fuckheads. For now
on, Keep the "entertainment" news out of the fuckin group and if you
wanna have a real discussion then talk about something fuckin
intresting.

HitMan333

Feb 23, 2007, 1:16:19 PM2/23/07
In rec.sport.pro-wrestling Caca Suave <jeffh_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I wasnt gonna really say anything but I saw your signature(above) and
> I thought to myself.. Jesus Christ. You gotta be a complete tool. Do
> everyone a favor and really pay attention what I am writing. You are
> not at all entertaining to this discussion. You copy/paste things that
> have already been copy/pasted by the usual group of fuckheads. For now
> on, Keep the "entertainment" news out of the fuckin group and if you
> wanna have a real discussion then talk about something fuckin
> intresting.

Careful, now he's going to call you a nazi and add you to his handle.

HitMan333

Smart Ape - (The Real) Winner of RSPW Rumble '07

Feb 23, 2007, 1:45:41 PM2/23/07
Why are remaking this movie??? I bet they will ruin it by having Tom Cruise
as the alien.
--
--- 8th Funniest Poster of 2004, 6th in 2005 and 5th in 2006.
--- 5th Most Improved Poster of 2004, 6th in 2005 and 3rd in 2006.

Jason Todd

Feb 23, 2007, 2:19:00 PM2/23/07
On Feb 23, 1:45 pm, "Smart Ape - \(The Real\) Winner of RSPW Rumble

'07" <Z...@POTA.com> wrote:
> Why are remaking this movie??? I bet they will ruin it by having Tom Cruise
> as the alien.

No, they'll ruin by having 2 million CGI shots and 47 cameras shooting
the same scene allowing for 80 jump cuts a minute.

Most of the crap from mainstream movies isn't even worth downloading
from Lime for free.

Jason "Well, except Garfield Goes To England..." Todd

stoc...@earthlink.net

Feb 23, 2007, 2:22:32 PM2/23/07
On Feb 23, 12:41 am, "Patient Zero 2.0...Hitman333, Lord Hatred and

I would like to see a remake if it is done right. To me doing it
right means making it realistic, not a Star Wars type production. I
don't know if that would sell, though. The public seems to want
mindless action flicks.

Patient Zero 2.0...Hitman333, Lord Hatred and Rockboy's #1 hate target..SWEET!!!

Feb 23, 2007, 4:32:49 PM2/23/07

"HitMan333" <hitm...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
Hey Larry, there are others that do the same thing, or do you show MANLOVE
for them and give them a pass..

Steven L.

Feb 23, 2007, 11:00:44 PM2/23/07

I'm not sure such a movie would work today anyway. The premise depended
on the cultural paranoia of the Cold War. And the "earth standing
still"--stopping all electricity on earth--just wouldn't plausibly scare
people today like it did in the 1950's. We're living with the threat of
terrorism with WMD, if a suitcase nuke went off nobody would be shocked
anymore, we've lived thru massive power outages in the U.S. and
elsewhere, we had a tsunami that killed 150,000 people in two hours, and
the whole idea of a worldwide power outage just wouldn't have the
emotional impact it did 50 years ago.

Frankly, I don't think there's anything space aliens could do to us that
would terrify us anymore, short of annihilating us. A worldwide power
outage just wouldn't do it.

Here was Klaatu's problem: Do something that would scare the hell out
of everybody on Earth, without actually hurting anybody. What could
possibly do that in 2007?

--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email: sdli...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net

Rockboy

Feb 23, 2007, 11:12:34 PM2/23/07
Patient Zero 2.0...Hitman333, Lord Hatred and Rockboy's #1 hate

What the hell are you talking about?

--
Rockboy

Stop pretending you're so good
Stop assuming that I would

A Watcher

Feb 23, 2007, 11:33:44 PM2/23/07

I think just showing up would cause a worldwide panic. Of course there
would be people who wouldn't believe it. On the whole I think if an
alien ship showed up it would definitely get the world's attention and
cause an uproar. If the aliens seemed to be far more powerful than us
that would really put a scare into every one.

Orson Wells as CitizenCain

Feb 23, 2007, 11:45:14 PM2/23/07

"A Watcher" <stoc...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

IF he wants to scare the shit out of the planet in 2007 he should announce
he's fixing it so Bush can have a third term.

Patient Zero 2.0...Hitman333, Lord Hatred and Rockboy's #1 hate target..SWEET!!!

Feb 24, 2007, 1:43:13 AM2/24/07

"Rockboy" <roc...@rockboy.net> wrote in message

When others post similar stuff that I do, where's your hatorade for them...

Steven L.

Feb 24, 2007, 1:53:55 AM2/24/07

I don't think so. This is 2007, not 1951. And even in the 1951 movie,
the real panic didn't start until after Klaatu's electricity
demonstration. The landing of Klaatu's ship had attracted a huge crowd
of curiosity-seekers taking photos, who had to be held back behind
police lines by cops. Klaatu was forced to do a demonstration of their
power because he couldn't get anyone on Earth to take his proposals
seriously.

Today, after 50 years of Star Trek, Star Wars, and other related science
fiction, I think the vast majority of people would be fascinated, not
terrified. Thanks to Star Trek, most ordinary folks now regard contact
with aliens to be inevitable someday, just another milestone in the
advance of our civilization.

The movie "Contact" (from the Carl Sagan novel) did a good job of
portraying what a "first contact" might really be like. Yes, the UFO
nuts and the Scientology nuts will have a field day. But most people
will be fascinated, just like they were for the first manned moon landing.

"Contact" did such a terrific job of portraying a "first contact"
realistically that the scenario in the 1951 movie is pretty much
obsolete now.

Rockboy

Feb 24, 2007, 3:37:09 AM2/24/07
target..SWEET!!! wrote:
> "Rockboy" <roc...@rockboy.net> wrote in message
>> Patient Zero 2.0...Hitman333, Lord Hatred and Rockboy's #1 hate
>> target..SWEET!!! wrote:
>>> "HitMan333" <hitm...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Hey Larry, there are others that do the same thing, or do you show
>>> MANLOVE for them and give them a pass..
>> What the hell are you talking about?
>
> When others post similar stuff that I do, where's your hatorade for them...

Don't try to justify your idiocy.

Froggy in the [mWo]

Feb 24, 2007, 9:32:26 AM2/24/07

"Patient Zero 2.0...Hitman333, Lord Hatred and Rockboy's #1 hate
target..SWEET!!!" <noona...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

After I run this through a Patient Zero to English translator, this is ehat
it says:

"waaah wah wah waaaaah waah waaaah waaaaah."

--
-Froggy

http://www.fortheretarded.com/

"When citizens fear their government, you have tyranny; when the government
fears its citizens, you have freedom."
— Thomas Jefferson

Bill Becker

Feb 24, 2007, 9:34:19 AM2/24/07

"Steven L." <sdli...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net> wrote in message

> stoc...@earthlink.net wrote:
> Here was Klaatu's problem: Do something that would scare the hell out of
> everybody on Earth, without actually hurting anybody. What could possibly
> do that in 2007?

Threaten to take away their games.

HitMan333

Feb 24, 2007, 1:50:29 PM2/24/07
In rec.sport.pro-wrestling Patient Zero 2.0...Hitman333, Lord Hatred and Rockboy's #1 hate target..SWEET!!! <noona...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> In rec.sport.pro-wrestling Caca Suave <jeffh_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I wasnt gonna really say anything but I saw your signature(above) and
>>> I thought to myself.. Jesus Christ. You gotta be a complete tool. Do
>>> everyone a favor and really pay attention what I am writing. You are
>>> not at all entertaining to this discussion. You copy/paste things that
>>> have already been copy/pasted by the usual group of fuckheads. For now
>>> on, Keep the "entertainment" news out of the fuckin group and if you
>>> wanna have a real discussion then talk about something fuckin
>>> intresting.
>> Careful, now he's going to call you a nazi and add you to his handle.
> Hey Larry, there are others that do the same thing, or do you show MANLOVE
> for them and give them a pass..

There are others that put my nick in their posting handle? No, it's
just you. Cry some more, bitch.

HitMan333

Kevin

Feb 24, 2007, 5:44:30 PM2/24/07
Obvious Top Post Here:
This is a horrible idea. I hate this kind of thinking in Hollywood. There
are some films that should not be allowed to be remade. And this is one of
them. This film is an absolute classic.

"Orson Wells as CitizenCain" <noe...@here.invalid> wrote in message

spam@starband.net Deke

Feb 25, 2007, 1:37:53 PM2/25/07

"Steven L." <sdli...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net> wrote in message

HMMMM...Heres a thought......how about Klaatu being the
equivalent of the return of Jesus? "We were here before to give you
guidance, but you killed our emissary. This time,
no more Mr Nice Guy. Heres what you will do, or face annihilation". And of
course, Klaatu has the ability to rise from the dead, walk on water, heal
the sick, etc etc etc.
And his demands are...............

jayembee

Feb 27, 2007, 7:43:31 PM2/27/07
"Steven L." <sdli...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net> wrote:

> I'm not sure such a movie would work today anyway. The premise
> depended on the cultural paranoia of the Cold War.

Not really true. At least, no more than INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS,
which was successfully remade 20 years later with no underlying Cold
War paranoia.

And keep in mind that the "premise" of THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL
comes from a short story originally published in 1940 -- considerably
before the Cold War.

> And the "earth standing still"--stopping all electricity on earth--
> just wouldn't plausibly scare people today like it did in the 1950's.
> We're living with the threat of terrorism with WMD, if a suitcase
> nuke went off nobody would be shocked anymore, we've lived thru
> massive power outages in the U.S. and elsewhere, we had a tsunami
> that killed 150,000 people in two hours, and the whole idea of a
> worldwide power outage just wouldn't have the emotional impact it
> did 50 years ago.

What scared the populace about Klaatu's demonstration wasn't that
they were suddenly without electricity for an hour. It was that
Klaatu's civilization could easily pull off something on that
scale.

> Frankly, I don't think there's anything space aliens could do to
> us that would terrify us anymore, short of annihilating us. A
> worldwide power outage just wouldn't do it.

So how about the similar demonstration by the aliens in THE ABYSS?
Do you really think that our civilization is so jaded that they
wouldn't be frightened if 100-foot tsunamis appeared on coastlines
all across the world at once, and then stopped mid-wave?

> Here was Klaatu's problem: Do something that would scare the hell
> out of everybody on Earth, without actually hurting anybody. What
> could possibly do that in 2007?

I don't know. But then, prior to 1989, I wouldn't have thought of
the tsunami trick in THE ABYSS, either.

-- jayembee

jayembee

Feb 27, 2007, 7:51:08 PM2/27/07
"Kevin" <kev...@excite.com> wrote:

> This is a horrible idea. I hate this kind of thinking in Hollywood.
> There are some films that should not be allowed to be remade. And
> this is one of them. This film is an absolute classic.

So are INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS and THE THING FROM ANOTHER
WORLD, and yet both of those films spawned excellent remakes.

-- jayembee

Michael Alan Chary

Feb 28, 2007, 2:17:15 PM2/28/07
In article <Xns98E4C8A9A306C...@140.99.99.130>,

jayembee <jayembe...@snurcher.com> wrote:
>"Steven L." <sdli...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure such a movie would work today anyway. The premise
>> depended on the cultural paranoia of the Cold War.
>
>Not really true. At least, no more than INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS,
>which was successfully remade 20 years later with no underlying Cold
>War paranoia.
>
>And keep in mind that the "premise" of THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL
>comes from a short story originally published in 1940 -- considerably
>before the Cold War.

Mixed vibes. The best way to describe the relationship is that THE DAY THE
EARTH STOOD STILL bear occasional resemblances to "Farewell to the
Master."

--
The All-New, All-Different Howling Curmudgeons!
http://www.whiterose.org/howlingcurmudgeons

David E. Powell

Feb 28, 2007, 4:26:00 PM2/28/07
On Feb 23, 2:22 pm, "stocks...@earthlink.net"

They'll redo it for the war on terror, having the alien come down and
say the US is responsible for messing up the world and blowing up our
own buildings, and that if only the US weren't warlike and destroying
the environment and the poor polar bears all would be OK. Then instead
of the satellite thing the guy will hand the US people a DVD of the Al
Gore movie. It will feature acting and writing that fail to approach
even successful parody status compared to the original classic. It
will do lukewarm business in San Francisco, draw crickets in the rest
of the country, and then be pimped on every entertainment show even if
it does crappy business. See the Stepford Wives remake. Actually,
don't. No one else did.

William December Starr

Mar 4, 2007, 1:31:36 PM3/4/07
In article <MLODh.5967$Jl....@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"Steven L." <sdli...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net> said:

> Frankly, I don't think there's anything space aliens could do to
> us that would terrify us anymore, short of annihilating us. A
> worldwide power outage just wouldn't do it.
>
> Here was Klaatu's problem: Do something that would scare the hell
> out of everybody on Earth, without actually hurting anybody. What
> could possibly do that in 2007?

How about: at precisely 0000 GMT, gravity at the surface of the
Earth slowly sinks to, say, 0.8g, stays there for exactly ten minutes,
and then slowly rises back to normal. That'd send a pretty strong
message, I think.

(Yes, it would probably still end up hurting some small amount of
people somewhere just because nearly _any_ worldwide change to
conditions will have a negative, and perhaps even lethal, effect at
the bad end of the bell curve of luck. But the ratio of "make an
impression on the natives" to "actually do harm" would be awfully
high.)

--
William December Starr <wds...@panix.com>

Jack Bohn

Mar 5, 2007, 6:21:21 AM3/5/07
William December Starr wrote:

>In article <MLODh.5967$Jl....@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
>"Steven L." <sdli...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net> said:
>
>> Frankly, I don't think there's anything space aliens could do to
>> us that would terrify us anymore, short of annihilating us. A
>> worldwide power outage just wouldn't do it.
>>
>> Here was Klaatu's problem: Do something that would scare the hell
>> out of everybody on Earth, without actually hurting anybody. What
>> could possibly do that in 2007?
>
>How about: at precisely 0000 GMT, gravity at the surface of the
>Earth slowly sinks to, say, 0.8g, stays there for exactly ten minutes,
>and then slowly rises back to normal. That'd send a pretty strong
>message, I think.

How far is the ability to do that from the ability to get really
Old Testament and stopping the sun in its tracks?

Too bad the title "The Day the Sun Stood Still" has already been
used for an anthology of stories on that theme.

--
-Jack