Pro Wrestling Illustrated REport

Andrew Jay Shurak

May 7, 1991, 3:17:28 AM5/7/91

As I said before, I picked up PWI two weeks ago, and now
I have a little time (well, sort of), so here's a really in depth review.
The first few pages feature ads from the UWF Power Line, 1-900-420-4UWF,
$2/minute, picture of Paul Orndoff in elaborate robes and names
Steve "Doc Death" Williams,. B. Brian Blair, Cowboy Bob Orton, John Tolos,
Col. DeBeers, Iceman Parsons, Steve "Wild Thing" Ray (?) and (of course)
Cactus Jack. There is also a full page ad for the
"Champions Of The Galaxy Wrestling Game", featuring Bishop Hell and
Galactic Punisher! Looks like lotsa fun, I can email more info if
interested. Other ads are predominated by several WCW ads, including
their PPV and trading cards. No WWF ads, in fact their is a noticably
anti-WWF slant: berating the UW undressing Sherrie as "family entertainment",
reporting on new names for WWF entries like Paul Bearer in a derogatory way,
the WWf is mostly ignored or slighted excpet for a story about Hogan winning
the belt (no mention of Nasties winning). Other stories include lotsa stuuf
about a possible horseman split (mabye 5 entries total), a report on
the Viscous-Gigante feud (I hope Sid kicks' Andre's ass in the WWF, don't you?)
the USWA Texas-Tennessee feud, Gigante getting title shots instead of Lugar,
"the collapse of Demolition", the Shiek- Abdullah match in Philly that everyone
is talking about.
Most notable was a story that I haven't seen here: The Ice Baby, a USWA
heel wrestler, is actually Jamie Dundee, Bill Dindee's son! (A picture in
PWI shows the surpisingly strong family resemblence) Many match reports
were also given ,including the previously mentioned IWCCW one in Staten Island.
Also, in Athens Greece there was a card taht included a double-DQ between
Abdullah The bUtcher and Jules Strongbow. Also on the aforementioned Philly
card were Ivan Koloff beating Manny Fernandez, Cactus Jack beating Eddie Gilbert
(how low Sting's former rulebreaking partner has fallen!), and Jerry Lawler
beat Terry Funk by DQ in a "fan participation lumberjack match"
(Oh, this I gotta see!). In the IWCCW, Vic Steamboat defended the ICW title
against Tony Atlas, winning by DQ when the Tasmaniac interfered
(the Tasmaniac will be a major heel within 5 years). The SAPW had a
card where tag champs Bobby & Jackie Fulton beat Robert Fuller and Sam Houston
(The Tennessee Studs???), and Chris Chavis won the title from Vince Torelli.

In mid-February, the UWC in Wichita had Norman the Lunatic victorious;
there were some matched in Ruskin and Liberty City Florida from the
Sunshine Wrestling Alliance and
The Florida Wrestling Alliance/Southern Wrestling Council featuring no-names.
No-names also wrestled in Ellisville Mississippi for the NWF and
Gulf Coast Championship Wrestling. Billy Jack Haynes lost by DQ in the PNW
in Portland. There's more, but I'm getting sleepy. Here's top ten rankings:
(As of late March)
NWA: Flair, Lugar, Fujinami, Sting, Sid, Terry Taylor, Gigante, Windham,
Owen Hart, Bobby Eaton, Ron Simmons
WWF: Hogan, Hennig, Slaughter, Bossman, Warrior, Undertaker, Von Erich,
Davey Boy, Jake the Snake, EQ,THe Mountie
The following four leagues are also in the "world title section":
USWA: Lawler, Prichard, Embry, Steve Austin, Dundee, Jarrett, Eddie Gilbert,
Dan Davis, Grande Pistolero, Billy Joe Travis, Awesome Kong
PNW: Steve Doll, Rip Oliver, Scott Norton, C.W. Bergstrom, Steve Sawyer,
Larry Oliver, Mike Winner, Al Madril, The Grappler, Doug Masters, Psycho Sam
UWF: No Champ, Steve Williams, Cactus Jack (!), Paula Orndoff, Magnificent Muraco,
Cowboy Bob Orton, Brian Blair, Sunny Beach, S.D. JONES!!!, Terry Gordy(!)
IWCCW: No unified champ, Vic Steamboat (ICW Champ), Kevin Von Erich (WCCW Champ),
Tony Atlas, Tasmaniac, Scott Putski, Big Sweet Williams, Joe Savoldi, Curly mOe,
Chief Thunder Mountain, Hawiian Hurircane. Tag Champs: The Brotherhood

A bunch of other leagues are listed in small type (like mine above)
AWA: No champ, Tommy Jammer, The Trooper, Steve O, Col. DeBeers, Larry Cameron,
Mike Enos, Brad Rhenigans, Buck Zumhofe, Wayne Bloom, Jake Milliman
(WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?). Supposedly, Wahoo McDaniel and Greg Gagne won the
tag title last weekend.
IWA: Manny Fernandez, Preston steele, Ivan Koloff, Jules Strongbow,
Larry Cameron, Col. DeBeers,Thunbderfoot, Rikki Nelson, Cousin Luke,
Sunny Beach, Tommy Dreamer
PWA: Terminator Riggs, Charlie Norris, Ricky Rice, Jerry Lynn, Lightning Kid,
Tony DeNucci, J.W. STORM, Larry cameron, The Punisher, Randy Gusto
PWF: Steve Keirn, DICK SLATER, Terminator, JIM BACKLUND, Lou Perez, Master
Blaster, Jimmy Rogers, Busgy McGraw, Mighy Thor

And finally,

WWC: Carlos Colon, Dick Murdoch, Scott Hall, Action Jackson, Motor City Madman,
Invader I, TNT, Kim Duk, EDDIE GILBERT, Brian Lee, Miguel Perez Jr.

Sid Viscous For President!
Andrew "rice-a-roni" Shurak
(I hope somebody didn't punt this)