Ric Flairs HOF speech.. in it's entirety

LongRodSilver

Mar 30, 2008, 6:54:35 AM3/30/08
Triple H was introduced. He said that the fact the building is
jampacked tonight to show love for the past of the business is awesome
and thanked the fans.

Triple H said, "How do you talk about this guy?" He said Flair
deserves not to be in the Hall of Fame but to have his own wing.

They played a video feature on Flair's career.

HHH pointed out Michael Hayes and said he looked like a Stay Puft
Marshmallow Pimp.

HHH said Flair inspired him to get in the business watching him on
Saturdays on TBS. He told a story of going to a gym convention in
Columbus, Georgia and meeting Flair in a hotel where Flair was walking
around naked except for a pair of dress shoes and socks and a balloon
tied to his penis. HHH saw Flair strut into the bar and thought that
everything he heard about that man is true. He said all the crazy
Flair stories were true.

HHH said Flair was his idol and is one of his closest friends but he
was terrified by the prospect of inducting the greatest pro wrestler
in history. He said that Flair inspired every single wrestler in the
company in some way. HHH said that when he saw Steve Austin this
weekend, Austin said he didn't want to miss Flair being inducted.

HHH asked what made Flair the best and said he was one of the greatest
stick man in the history of the business. He said that he had the
greatest phrases ever in the history of the wrestling.

HHH said Flair could go 60 minutes with a broomstick and get the broom
over. He pointed out Flair's classic matches with Bruiser Brody,
Sting, Harley Race and Dusty Rhodes among others.

He said all those things helped Flair but it was his passion to be the
best wrestler that was the key. HHH noted that it's been said that
Flair is "arguably" the best wrestler of all time. HHH said he is
still waiting to hear the argument against because he's the greatest
of all time, period.

HHH introduced Flair, who got the longest standing ovation I have ever
seen. Flair pulled out a photo of himself and Gordon Solie and said
to Shawn Michaels that's who he had to fight. Flair said he would
never retire and let out a whoo.

He said in a moment like this, he realizes that for all he's done, he
must have done something right. He was crying a lot.

Flair said he's worried about not remembering enough people to thank.
He started by thanking Kevin Dunn and the WWE production team for what
they do every week and making him look good the last seven years.

Flair said he wanted to thank the legal department because some of the
things he used to pull don't fly anymore. He thanked a lot of WWE
officials including Sue Aitchensen and Mark Carano.

Flair said he loves to talk to the young guys and praised all the WWE
agents for working their ass off every week. He thanked Mike Rotunda,
Barry Windham, Finlay, Jamie Noble, Pat Patterson, Sgt Slaughter,
Jerry Brisco, Arn Anderson and Rick Steamboat.

Flair then thanked the writing team, saying that although they
sometimes argue about what they are asked to do, they are creative and
talented. He named many of them by name and apologized to Ed Koskey
for all the times he scared him by saying things he wasn't supposed to
be.

Flair thanked those who made his robes over the years and his boots.
Flair said he figured out today he bought 582 pairs of boots over the
years.

Flair began crying as he thanked his attorney John Taylor. He said he
was in a lawsuit with WCW and Taylor advised him he could sit back and
get rich or go back to work.

Flair thanked Steve Lombardi for all his hard work in putting together
the interviews we see all the time and Downtown Bruno for bringing him
a 12-pack every night.

Flair joked that his family thought Chris Jericho was Bon Jovi. Flair
talked about Big Show, saying he knew Andre the Giant when he was
first breaking in. Flair said Big Show was the best big man he's ever
been in the ring with. Show began openly sobbing.

Flair praised Tony Garea and Tim White for all the draws they give him
on the road.

Flair began praising Edge and said he's a special guy and a great
champ. He told the story of working a ladder match with him saying he
did something with Edge he never did before and loved it.

Flair said now the speech would begin!!

He showed off NWA title cufflinks HHH gave Flair.

Flair began breaking down thanking Betty Skaaland and the late Arnold
Skaaland for all their kindness. Flair told a story of going out
drinking all night and running up a bartab of $30K during Summerslam
1992 weekend and Skaaland saving his rear end.

Flair said Ray Stevens once told him the day the goose bumps go away,
his career should end and Flair said he has goose bumps tonight. He
said tonight was the end of a journey he's lived for so many years.

Flair put over the other members of this year's Hall of Fame class. He
said it was special to receive the honor while still active. He said
that he wants all of the talents to know how much he respects all of
them and thanks them for their friendship and respect. He said the
last 7 years have been special to him and he's honored to be inducted
in Orlando, "the second home of Space Mountain".

Flair talked about working in Florida as a territory and doing
interviews with Gordon Solie. Flair said he owes everything he had,
has, and will be to the wrestling business. He said he hopes that
fans realize that Flair gave everyone the best he could.

Flair thanked those who helped him who are no longer with them.

Ric Flair talked about being laid up after his plane crash and George
Scott suggesting he be modeled after Buddy Rogers. He thanked Scott
for seeing something in him.

Flair began talking about the toughness of Blackjack Mulligan and
living next to him. Flair told a story of Blackjack and Barry Windham
against The Andersons and BJ not liking how it was going. He sent
Windham to the locker room, hit Ole and Gene, then told them if they
wanted a piece of him, he'll be waiting in their locker room. He said
the Andersons still haven't entered. He praised Blackjack's ability
to show how special he is and told the young talents that is what they
need to do... show how special they are.

Flair discussed winning the NWA title from Harley Race.

This is seriously beyond awesome. If you ever loved Ric Flair, the
NWA or WCW, you need to see this speech.

Flair talked for a long time about his friendship with Ken Patera and
said Ken introduced Flair to Verne Gagne.

Gagne warned Flair there was no quitting if he started training. He
said the second day, he wanted to quit and talked a long time about
training in Gagne's barn. He quit and went home. Gagne came to
Flair's house and threw him down and told him to come back. A week
later Flair quit again and Gagne called and warned him to come back or
he was coming over. Flair returned and 2 months later he was in the
business.

Flair began telling Wahoo McDaniel stories I couldn't do justice too.
He praised Wahoo for teaching him and showing him how to be the best.

Flair said Dusty Rhodes became one of his idols and wanted to be just
like him. He told stories about wanting to be Rambling Ricky Rhodes
when he was breaking in and said Dusty's connection to the fans was as
awesome as anything Flair has ever seen. He talked about Dusty seeing
something in him and naming the first Starrcade 'A Flair for the
Gold'. He said Dusty is the most charismatic person in the business.

Flair said his greatest opponent was Rick Steamboat, saying that was
"as good as it got" and he's fortunate to have had Steamboat to work
with to create a body of work that will stand the test of time.

Flair talked about working in St. Louis under Sam Muschnick, saying it
was the crown jewel of the NWA and praised Sam for his integrity and
honesty. He said wrestling there was as big an honor as it was to
wrestle in Madison Square Garden and anywhere in the Carolinas.

Flair praised the Crockett family for pushing him to be NWA champ. He
said he wishes them nothing but the best.

Flair pointed out Carlos Colon in the crowd and talked about how
Carlos and Vince McMahon Sr. were the deciding votes to make him NWA
champ. Flair told a story about sending in a heel promo about hating
Trinidad that got him arrested when he arrived. Flair told the story
about the riot in the Dominican Republic and that Carlos paid off the
airline for Flair to travel without a passport.

Flair said no one will understand how good the Four Horsemen were
inside and outside the ring. He praised Arn, Malenko, Mongo and
Benoit (by name) and said they were the reason he came back to WCW.
Benoit's name got some boos but mostly cheers.

Flair began crying as he praised Arn Anderson as a friend and as a
performer. He told some great stories about partying with Arn and
told him he loved him.

Flair praised Tommy Young and Charles Robinson for their great referee
work. Nora Greenwald was sitting with Robinson.

Flair praised Gordon Solie and Jim Ross provided the soundtrack of his
career. Flair said no one could ever replace Jim Ross and that he
knew the business inside and out.

Flair said Bobby Heenan was the greatest manager and one of the
greatest workers of all time. He told some stories of Heenan managing
the Blackjacks when a riot broke out. He said Heenan is not in good
health right now but he wants everyone to know he's one of the best
friends Flair ever had.

Flair then told some stories about Gene Okerlund and said he wouldn't
have made it through WCW without going drinking with him after the
shows. He said Okerlund is wrestling and is awesome.

Flair talked about his confidence issues and thanked Michael Hayes for
being a close friend and for never letting Flair forget who he was. He
told a tory about seeing Hayes with Cher and Greg Allman.

They just gave Flair a "go home" sign, which the crowd booed.

Flair said he knows his last match could be tomorrow and it could be
in front of his family at ringside and told Shawn "to be the man you
have to beat the man". He thanked everyone for their love.

Flair praised Undertaker for being so great in the ring and that he
loved their match at Wrestlemania 18.

Flair thanked the McMahons and said Vince has treated him with nothing
but respect while Linda is one of the smartest women he's ever known.
Flair said when the time comes, WWE will be in equally good hands with
Stephanie and Shane.

Flair praised John Cena's love and passion. He said he's tireless and
is the "go to guy" in the company. Flair said his heart is in the
business and he won't leave the business for Hollywood. Flair said he
corrupted Cena and told stories about making him drink.

Flair said he was tired of hearing Hulk Hogan was the greatest of all
time in the WWF and WWE when it was really Steve Austin. He said
Austin was the best.

Another "go home" sign. More boos.

Flair praised Batista and Randy Orton. Flair said he lives his life
vicariously thru Batista now.

They are rushing Flair since the Hall is on the air now.

Flair praised HHH and said he wishes he could wrestle him back when
Flair was good. Flair then talked about Shawn Michaels saying he was
way ahead of Flair a long time ago but tomorrow, Shawn has "The Man"
to contend with.

Flair said he's so thankful to have a wonderful family. He said his
father was the bravest man he ever knew and his mom is amazing. He
said his wife is his best friend and inspires him every day. Flair
told his kids he loved them and thanked his first two wives for all
their hard work as mothers. His children were all crying.

The Wrestlemania DVD will be a "must buy" for anyone, simply due to
Flair's induction speech. It was almost like a shoot interview at
points, with Flair discussing his incredible career.

The fans were very upset at the constant calls for Flair to wrap up,
and at one point turned their wrath towards Triple H, who helplessly
responded with a "It's not my call" expression.

Hack-Man

Apr 12, 2008, 6:46:18 PM4/12/08
LongRodSilver <LRS@backofyourmothersthroat..com> wrote:
> Flair said he loves to talk to the young guys and praised all the WWE
> agents for working their ass off every week. He thanked Mike Rotunda,
> Barry Windham, Finlay, Jamie Noble, Pat Patterson, Sgt Slaughter,
> Jerry Brisco, Arn Anderson and Rick Steamboat.

Jamie Noble is an agent? I must have missed that. Wish he'd be on
TV more, but if he's helping the next generation of wrestlers--I
guess I'm all for that.

> Flair thanked those who made his robes over the years and his boots.
> Flair said he figured out today he bought 582 pairs of boots over the
> years.

That's like a new pair every three weeks. That's weird, since I
swear he wore the same "RF" pair non-stop for like 15 years. Guess
that means Jim Ross should have no problem getting a signed,
ring-worn pair of Flair boots for every BBQ restaurant he opens.

> He showed off NWA title cufflinks HHH gave Flair.

Okay. I have to admit--that's a mega-cool gift. I'd love to see
them.

> Flair told a story of going out
> drinking all night and running up a bartab of $30K during Summerslam
> 1992 weekend and Skaaland saving his rear end.

That's probably slightly more than my *combined* bartabs from my
college years. Damn...

> Flair began telling Wahoo McDaniel stories I couldn't do justice too.

If you're not going to transcribe them, then don't call this "Ric
Flairs HOF speech.. in it's entirety".

> Flair said Dusty Rhodes became one of his idols and wanted to be just
> like him.

Keep eating...

> Flair said no one will understand how good the Four Horsemen were
> inside and outside the ring. He praised Arn, Malenko, Mongo and
> Benoit (by name) and said they were the reason he came back to WCW.
> Benoit's name got some boos but mostly cheers.

Kudos for Flair for being the first person in WWE to stop pretending
that Benoit never existed.

But Mongo? Seriously?

--
http://www.shareapic.net/gallery.php?user=3255
rs...@HackMan.com Video/C/Unix geek http://Hack-Man.com/Wrestling

LongRodSilver

Apr 12, 2008, 9:35:29 PM4/12/08
On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 17:46:18 -0500, rs...@HackMan.com (Hack-Man) wrote:

>> Flair said no one will understand how good the Four Horsemen were
>> inside and outside the ring. He praised Arn, Malenko, Mongo and
>> Benoit (by name) and said they were the reason he came back to WCW.
>> Benoit's name got some boos but mostly cheers.
>
>Kudos for Flair for being the first person in WWE to stop pretending
>that Benoit never existed.
>
>But Mongo? Seriously?
>
>--

Mongo is an ex NFLer... he was probably as wild.. if not more.. than
Ric.. so the two hit it off great.