rec.sport.pro-wrestling squeaks by.

Nicholas J. Simicich

Dec 22, 1989, 1:09:53 AM12/22/89
The following is a quote from the article I've posted to
news.announce.newgroups:

> It was a close one, but rec.sport.pro-wrestling just squeaked by.
> The final results were 159 for and 48 opposed. This is a fairly
> large number of no votes. Some no voters voted that way because
> they thought that the group was named badly. One no voter stated
> that they voted that way because they felt that professional
> wrestling was not a fit subject for the net, and belonged in alt (I
> presume with alt.sex or something).

> The vote passes both the 100 vote minimum difference requirement and
> the 2:1 yes/no ratio requirement (even though this vote was called
> before that requirement took effect).

The remaining stuff required by the newsgroup creation guidelines is:

1. Greg Woods has to post the results to news.announce.newgroups.
When he does that, it will also be posted to rec.sport.misc and
news.groups. Unless he is already on Christmas vacation, this
might be done tomorrow. If he is on vacation, it will be done
when he gets back.

2. Five days must elapse. This is to allow challenges to the voting.
There may be such challenges, but I think that the results I've
posted will withstand those challenges. A number of people will
flame. Others will flame them back. It will be almost like
wrestling, but they will be serious. :-)

3. At the end of five days, I'll issue a newgroup for
rec.sport.pro-wrestling. Some sites will automatically act on it,
and at others, news admins will wait until they can review the
action manually before issuing the newgroup. Because of the
holidays, this is likely to take a week or so.

4. Spaf will add the group to the canonical list of news groups.

5. Eventually, sites which carry the rec.sport tree will probably
pick up rec.sport.pro-wrestling.

Once the group is created, I'd hope that most interested partys would
get the postings from the net. If people are in the position of not
being able to get the articles from the net, I'll mail them to you. I
think I can set up my system to do that automatically, fairly easily.

I don't know about posting, though.

--
Nick Simicich --- uunet!bywater!scifi!njs --- n...@ibm.com (Internet)

Reid Carson/Development

Dec 27, 1989, 3:29:35 PM12/27/89

I would like to express my public thanks to Nick Simicich for his work
in organizing and carrying through the pro-wrestling vote to a successful
(from my viewpoint) conclusion. Here's to you, big guy!

It's been quite a revelation to me, realizing that there are other people
who can enjoy pro wrestling without taking the show biz parts of it too
seriously. It's been a great pleasure to meet (at least electronically)
people who can provide some information about the inner workings of our
great "sport".

I'd also like to thank Mr. Simicich for his reports from Gleason's Gym.
The Northern Virginia area is sadly lacking in small promotions, and the
cable stations that used to carry the ICW (or Incredibly Cheesy Wrestling,
as I fondly call it) ceased to do so some time back.

Just so this posting is not totally content-free, when the mike went out
at the ICW show at Gleason's Gym during Paul E. Dangerously's Danger Zone,
(see Nick Simicich's description in an article which has, of course, expired
here) he threw the mike down, and later got into a dispute with the gym owner,
who wanted $200 for damage to the mike. Apparently it nearly turned into
a major brawl between the wrestlers and the gym security people (semipro
boxers). Gee, maybe we could have gotten an answer to the eternal question,
"Can a wrestler beat a boxer?" :-)
--
Reid W. Carson (uunet!pyrdc!eliot!reidc) - Unitech Software, Inc.
What I tell you three times is true.