Team Canada Roster -- Numbers Included

Alan Chim

Aug 26, 1991, 10:29:26 AM8/26/91

#1 Sean Burke
#30 Bill Rabnford
#42 Ed Belfour

#2 Al MacInnis
#3 Scott Stevens
#5 Steve Smith
#14 Paul Cavallini
#34 Jamie Macouns
#38 Bruce Driver
#41 Mark Tinordi
#48 Eric Desjardins
#55 Larry Murphy
#77 Paul Coffey

#6 Russ Courtnall
#9 Gary Roberts
#10 Dale Hawerchuk
#12 Adam Oates
#16 Michel Goulet
#18 Brendan Shanahan
#19 Steve Yzerman
#20 Luc Robitaille
#21 Brent Sutter
#24 Rick Tochett
#26 Theoren Fleury
#27 Shayne Corson
#28 Steve Larmer
#32 Claude Lemieux
#33 Dirk Graham
#45 Steve Thomas
#47 Wendel Clark
#88 Eric Lindros
#99 Wayne Gretzky

32 players still at camp.

Now you tell me Joe Sakic can't crack this line up.

Alan Chim Internet --> al...@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca
Alternate --> alan...@tanstaafl.uchicago.edu

Andrew Scott

Aug 26, 1991, 4:38:58 PM8/26/91
Alan Chim writes:
>Now you tell me Joe Sakic can't crack this line up.

Which center would you take out of the lineup for Sakic to play: Gretzky,
Yzerman, Oates, or Lindros? Gretzky and Yzerman are obvious choices, Oates
has emerged as a top playmaker, and from the reports I've read, Lindros has
been a standout.

Sakic was reportedly cut because he wasn't going to be one of the four
centers, and he couldn't adapt to playing wing, as some other centers can.
--
Andrew Scott | mail: and...@idacom.uucp
| - or - ..!uunet!ubc-cs!alberta!idacom!andrew

"You were gonna kill that guy!" "Of course. I am a Terminator."

Eric Rickin

Aug 26, 1991, 7:58:44 PM8/26/91

In a previous article, and...@idacom.uucp (Andrew Scott) says:

>Which center would you take out of the lineup for Sakic to play: Gretzky,
>Yzerman, Oates, or Lindros? Gretzky and Yzerman are obvious choices, Oates
>has emerged as a top playmaker, and from the reports I've read, Lindros has
>been a standout.
>
>Sakic was reportedly cut because he wasn't going to be one of the four
>centers, and he couldn't adapt to playing wing, as some other centers can.

And also because Lindros was ON the team even before he was invited. I
think that Sakic is THE most underrated player in the NHL. If he was
playing on a "real" team, he would be more known.
--
ab...@cleveland.freenet.edu (Eric Rickin)
"Elvis has left the building, and Recchi and Stevens are following him!"

Gerald Olchowy

Aug 27, 1991, 2:23:27 AM8/27/91
In article <1991Aug26.2...@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> ab...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Eric Rickin) writes:

>In a previous article, and...@idacom.uucp (Andrew Scott) says:
>
>>Which center would you take out of the lineup for Sakic to play: Gretzky,
>>Yzerman, Oates, or Lindros? Gretzky and Yzerman are obvious choices, Oates
>>has emerged as a top playmaker, and from the reports I've read, Lindros has
>>been a standout.
>>
>>Sakic was reportedly cut because he wasn't going to be one of the four
>>centers, and he couldn't adapt to playing wing, as some other centers can.
>
>And also because Lindros was ON the team even before he was invited. I
>think that Sakic is THE most underrated player in the NHL. If he was
>playing on a "real" team, he would be more known.

Lindros hasn't made the team yet....certainly no one expected that he
would make the team, but it is probably 50-50 now. Lindros was invited
to camp for two reasons....for next time, and to attract media attention
and improve attendence at the intrasquad games and some of the
exhibition games...that he has showed show well has been a surprise to
most people.

Sakic is one of the most underrated players in the NHL, but he had
to beat out Hawerchuk or Yzerman or Oates or as mentioned previously,
be able to adapt to being a winger. Lindros is still around because
of his ability to play the physical game mainly, which distinguishes
him from the other talented young center who were cut. If Lindros
were not 6 ft. 5 in., and 200something pounds, and willing to use it
he would have been long gone. Without Messier or Lemieux, Lindros
is really the only center who brings the ability to be a physically
dominant force at center.

Gerald

Andrew Scott

Aug 27, 1991, 12:08:47 AM8/27/91
Eric Rickin writes:
>And also because Lindros was ON the team even before he was invited.

Do you really think so? I thought the invitation was an Allan Eagleson
publicity stunt, and that the fact Lindros is playing so well is a pleasant
surprise to everyone.

>I think that Sakic is THE most underrated player in the NHL.

I agree. My posting wasn't meant to sleight Joe; I think he's a great player.
I think he just got caught in a numbers game.

Alan Chim

Aug 27, 1991, 8:41:44 PM8/27/91
and...@idacom.uucp (Andrew Scott) writes:

> Alan Chim writes:
> >Now you tell me Joe Sakic can't crack this line up.
>
> Which center would you take out of the lineup for Sakic to play: Gretzky,
> Yzerman, Oates, or Lindros? Gretzky and Yzerman are obvious choices, Oates
> has emerged as a top playmaker, and from the reports I've read, Lindros has
> been a standout.

As far as I'm concerned, Lindros is still unproven. He still has not
played a game in the NHL, and he's still only a kid. Even if he didn't
play well in the Canada Cup Exhibition games, if Keenan cut Lindros he'd
hear a lot of commotion from the press.

> Sakic was reportedly cut because he wasn't going to be one of the four
> centers, and he couldn't adapt to playing wing, as some other centers can.

Joe Sakic can play the wing as well as anyone, as far as I'm concerned.
Now if he was on the Chicago Black Hawks, he be on the team for sure.

Igor Sheyn

Aug 28, 1991, 3:48:18 PM8/28/91

From: al...@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca (Alan Chim)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.hockey
Date: 26 Aug 91 14:29:26 GMT

Team Canada Roster

Goal

Defence

Forwards

By the way, was R. Bourque invited to the team?

Lisa Anderson

Aug 28, 1991, 5:16:48 PM8/28/91
In article <SHEYN.91A...@bucsf.bu.edu> sh...@bucsf.bu.edu (Igor Sheyn) writes:

> By the way, was R. Bourque invited to the team?

Where have you been?? (I hope we don't have to go through THAT again. :-))

Graham Moss

Aug 29, 1991, 9:06:25 AM8/29/91
> As far as I'm concerned, Lindros is still unproven. He still has not
> played a game in the NHL, and he's still only a kid. Even if he didn't
> play well in the Canada Cup Exhibition games, if Keenan cut Lindros he'd
> hear a lot of commotion from the press.
>
> Joe Sakic can play the wing as well as anyone, as far as I'm concerned.
> Now if he was on the Chicago Black Hawks, he be on the team for sure.
>
> Alan Chim Internet --> al...@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca

Give it up!!!! Joe Sakic has been cut...period! Crying
about it on r.s.h. is not going to give him another
chance.

Joe Sakic is a star, no doubt about it! But Keenan job
is to put a well rounded team together that can compete
at the international level. It sounds like the team that
you are proposing would make an exellent ALL-STAR team,
but couldn't hold a candle to the Soviets.

All eyes are on Lindros, obviously, but he has deserved
the attention. I think Sakic's name pop up once or twice
in the exibition box scores. Lindros, on the other hand,
has been all over the place, goals, assists and penalty
minutes. Give him a chance, he'll make even you a
believer!!!!~

Graham~
Montreal=Hockey