WINGS/OILERS, trade rumors

SGL...@cmsa.gmr.com

Oct 16, 1991, 8:21:24 AM10/16/91

For those of you looking only for the latest trade rumors from Detroit,
see the bottom of this posting. The top part is a summary of last night's
Wings/Oilers game.

The Wings won their first game of the season last night at home 3-1 over
Edmonton.

PERIOD BY PERIOD SUMMARY:
1st - No scoring; No powerplays. Both teams had 7 shots on goal and
both Cheveldae and Ranford made a few good saves. Pretty much
mediocre hockey from both clubs.
2nd - Esa Tikkanen (unassisted) scored a short handed goal after Chaisson
turned the puck over at the blue line. Steve Yzerman (unassisted)
was credited with a goal during the same Detroit Powerplay (about
30 seconds after the Edmonton goal) after Jeff Buekeboom knocked
the puck into his own net.
From then on it was like the first period until Shawn Burr scored
late in the period to put Detroit up 2-1. After that Detroit started
to show the spark that we've been looking for. Ranford had to make
some great stops to keep Detroit from blowing this one out.
3rd - Detroit controlled most of the third period. Ranford kept Edmonton
in the game, but with under a minute to play, Brent Fedyk scored his
first of the year to ice it for Detroit.

LINE COMBOS: Murray kept the top 3 lines the same from Saturday (FINALLY).
Miller-Yzerman-Probert - on the ice for all 3 goals. Burr and Fedyk
scoredon line changes with at least two of these players on the ice.
Probert (2 assists) and Yzerman (1 goal, 1 assist) each had 2 points.
Probert continues to play great hockey. Now Detroit must wait on his
immigration status.
Gallant-Carson-Sheppard - Although they looked good in the Edmonton zone,
this line gave up most Edmonton scoring chances.
Ysebart-Federov-Fedyk
Garpenlov-Burr-Primeau - Burr ended up being the number one star.

DEFENSE: Steve Chaisson returned to the lineup. Other than the shorthanded
goal, he looked good. He added the toughness Detroit needed on defense.

FIGHTS: NO fights. I was looking forward to a DeBrusk-Probert match but it
never came close to happening.

SCRATCHES: Yves Racine (-7), Rick Zombo, and Doug Crossman (defense);
Brian McClelland, Alan Kerr (wingers).

TRADE RUMORS: Remember, I don't make this stuff up or agree with it.
Just passing along what I hear......
- Former Wings coach Jacques Demers reported on his radio show in Quebec
that Shawn Burr would be traded to Winnipeg for Bob Essensa. He claimed
it was a "done deal". Murray shot that down saying that Winnipeg contacted
him to see if he would be interested in Brent Ashton.
- A Quebec paper reported that Detroit would be sending Burr and Racine over
for Tugnutt and defenseman Steven Finn. Murray has said he's not interested
in trading Burr.
- Once again we have a new Islander rumor (just laugh this one off) - Yzerman
for LaFontaine and defenseman Jeff Norton. (NOT).
- To save the best for last: I seen this coming. Last night Mike Keenan
and Bob Pulford were at the game. I knew I'd see something about Belfour
in the paper this morning but never dreamed it would be this bad.
Here we go: Belfour for Keith Primeau - EVEN UP. (Although I'd be
willing to bet Murray would throw in a couple pizzas.) I didn't know
Jacques Demer's was now working for Chicago.
I guess the fact that Detroit and Chicago are both in the Norris and that
Chicago plays Edmonton Thursday didn't have anything to do with why Keenan
was there.
On a more serious note, I could see a Carson and Primeau deal being rumored
for Belfour but I can't see Keenan trading Belfour to a Norris division
team.

EDMONTON NOTE: Petr Klima did not play for the second straight game and is
now asking to be traded. How about it Boston fans? Need a scorer?

-Scott

SGL...@cmsa.gmr.com

Oct 16, 1991, 8:48:53 AM10/16/91
I almost forgot to mention this -

There was an article in today's Free Press about the new hockey league
(don't remember what it's called). Michigan's entry is the Falcons and
one of the players profiled was DEAN MORTON. Red Wings fans will remember
him from a few years ago. He played great in camp and became a huge fan
favorite. He played in the first game of the year and scored the only
goal and was then sent to Adirondack.

-Scott

Eric Rickin

Oct 16, 1991, 9:35:23 PM10/16/91

I thought there was a semi-pro hockey league called the CHL (colonial
hokcey league?) that plays in the UP of Michigan and Ontario. Could
this be the same?
--
ab...@cleveland.freenet.edu (Eric Rickin)
Bye-bye Civil Liberties. Hello Clarence Thomas.