REPLAYING '92 DRAFT

Samuel Lau

Jun 24, 1993, 6:22:08 PM6/24/93
Okay, perhaps I was a bit harsh when I said Cory Stillman wasn't
worth a first round pick anymore. In yesterday's edition of the
Calgary Herald, here's how last year's picks stack up:

If re-drafted today, this is how a confidential survey of NHL
scouts suggests last year's draft would go. Number in brackets
indicates the player's actual draft position. On the right hand
side, the actual order they went in the first round.

1. Darius Kasparaitis NYI (5) 1. Roman Hamrlik TB
2. Roman Hamrlik TB (1) 2. Alexei Yashin OTT
3. Alexei Yashin OTT (2) 3. Mike Rathje SJ
4. Jason Smith NJ (18) 4. Todd Warriner QUE
5. Todd Warriner QUE (4) 5. Darius Kasparaitis NYI
6. Mike Rathje SJ (3) 6. Cory Stillman CGY
7. Nikolai Borschevsky TOR (77) 7. Ryan Sittler PHI
8. Dmitri Kvartalnov BOS (16) 8. Brandon Convery TOR
9. Sergei Bautin WPG (17) 9. Robert Petrovicky HFD
10. Sergei Krivokrasov CHI (12) 10. Andrei Nazarov SJ
11. Jeff Shantz CHI (36) 11. David Cooper BUF
12. Martin Straka PIT (19) 12. Sergei Krivokrasov CHI
13. Valeri Bure MTL (33) 13. Joe Nulbig EDM
14. Cory Stillman CGY (6) 14. Sergei Gonchar WAS
15. Michal Sykora SJ (123) 15. Jason Bowen PHI
16. Andrei Nikolishin HFD (47) 16. Dimitri Kvartalnov BOS
17. Aaron Gavey TB (74) 17. Sergei Bautin WPG
18. Boris Mironov WPG (27) 18. Jason Smith NJ
19. Brandon Convery TOR (8) 19. Martin Straka PGH
20. Brent Tully VAN (93) 20. David Wilkie MTL
21. Sergei Gonchar WAS (14) 21. Libor Polasek VAN
22. Jozef Cierny BUF (35) 22. Curtis Bowen DET
23. Peter Ferraro NYR (24) 23. Grant Marshall TOR
24. Curtis Bowen DET (22) 24. Peter Ferraro NYR

Interesting to note that while Trader Cliff Fletcher is excellent
at making trades, he's terrible at drafting. The last Flame he
drafted to play for the team was in the 1989 draft when he
selected Robert Reichel in the fourth round. Before that, it was
Theoren Fleury in the eight round in 1987. That's two draft
picks panning out so far in the last six years. The Flames have
also been miserable at having first round draft picks playing for
them. You have to go back to 1984 and Gary Roberts to find
someone.

In the last EIGHT drafts, the Flames have only picked five
players who currently play in the NHL regularly: Brian Glynn,
Theoren Fleury, Stephane Matteau, Robert Reichel, and Joe Nieuwendyk.

Sam.

--
Samuel Lau
sl...@acs.ucalgary.ca

Glenn...@engr.usask.ca

Jun 24, 1993, 8:49:44 PM6/24/93
From: sl...@acs.ucalgary.ca (Samuel Lau)

>If re-drafted today, this is how a confidential survey of NHL
>scouts suggests last year's draft would go.

7. Ryan Sittler PHI
9. Robert Petrovicky HFD
10. Andrei Nazarov SJ
11. David Cooper BUF
13. Joe Hulbig EDM
15. Jason Bowen PHI
20. David Wilkie MTL
21. Libor Polasek VAN
23. Grant Marshall TOR

The above players taken in last year's NHL entry draft have fallen out
of the top 24 in the survey of NHL scouts. Was Bobby Clarke the GM of
Philadelphia last June? Both of the Flyers' first round picks have dropped out.

Glenn

Mitch McGowan

Jun 25, 1993, 11:50:07 AM6/25/93
Glenn...@engr.usask.ca writes:

>The above players taken in last year's NHL entry draft have fallen out
>of the top 24 in the survey of NHL scouts. Was Bobby Clarke the GM of
>Philadelphia last June? Both of the Flyers' first round picks have dropped out.

Since leaving the North Stars, Clarke has been a vice president with the Flyers
(until his recent appointment in Florida, of course). I could be wrong,
but I don't think Clarke was ever GM in Philadelphia.

Speaking of Clarke, one of the players he drafted for Florida was Dallas
property Doug Barrault. Clarke was GM in Minnesota when Barrault was
drafted in 1990. Does this make Barrault the only player this year to
have been chosen by the same GM a second time? Just curious.

--
rec.sport.hockey contact for Dallas Stars
and maintainer of the r.s.h FAQ file

Glenn...@engr.usask.ca

Jun 25, 1993, 7:18:46 PM6/25/93

From: ham...@stein.u.washington.edu (Mitch McGowan)
Date: 25 Jun 1993 15:50:07 GMT
>Since leaving the North Stars, Clarke has been a vice president with the Flyers
>(until his recent appointment in Florida, of course). I could be wrong,
>but I don't think Clarke was ever GM in Philadelphia.

Yes, you might be correct. I think the current Flyers' GM is the
father of Rob Brown, and was also GM last June. His name escapes me right now,
but I believe he used to be with Kamloops in the Western Hockey League.

Glenn

Nelson Lu

Jun 25, 1993, 8:04:33 PM6/25/93
In article <20f6rf$o...@news.u.washington.edu> ham...@stein.u.washington.edu (Mitch McGowan) writes:

>Speaking of Clarke, one of the players he drafted for Florida was Dallas
>property Doug Barrault. Clarke was GM in Minnesota when Barrault was
>drafted in 1990. Does this make Barrault the only player this year to
>have been chosen by the same GM a second time? Just curious.

Well, it wasn't really a "choice" the first time around, but Jack Ferreira
was the Sharks' GM when they signed David Williams, whom he took for the Ducks
in the expansion draft yesterday.

[.sig undergoing construction]
Nelson Lu (clau...@leland.stanford.edu)
rec.sport.hockey contact for the San Jose Sharks

Glenn...@engr.usask.ca

Jun 27, 1993, 4:52:48 PM6/27/93
From: Glenn...@engr.usask.ca

>I think the current Flyers' GM is the
>father of Rob Brown, and was also GM last June. His name escapes me right now,
>but I believe he used to be with Kamloops in the Western Hockey League.

To finally set the record straight, Russ Farwell, who is from the WHL, is the
GM of the Flyers. I am fairly certain that the father of Rob Brown is the GM of
Kamloops.

Glenn