Alcohol Consumption in Maple Leaf Gardens

Lydia Mancini

Jan 26, 1993, 11:46:26 PM1/26/93

I just heard a report that they were considering allowing the consumption
of alcohol inside Maple Leaf Gardens. This is the first I ever heard of this.
1) Is it true?
2) Any other sports facilities out there who don't sell beer either?

-- Lydia
--
(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)(==)
Lydia Mancini | "Oh drat these computers are so naughty and so

Marc Lavergne

Jan 27, 1993, 11:43:12 AM1/27/93

Indeed. $4.25 for a glass of flat draft beer and $5.50 for a glass of wine.

Rip-off. Worst than the biggest beer joke in the world: the SkyDome.

Ed Olczyk

Jan 28, 1993, 1:23:05 PM1/28/93
In article <C1Hx9...@cs.mcgill.ca> sha...@cs.mcgill.ca (Lydia Mancini) writes:
>2) Any other sports facilities out there who don't sell beer either?
The only other ones I know of are college arenas. Even when pro teams are
playing there.

--
Tony Frolik afr...@ua.d.umn.edu

Ken De Cruyenaere

Jan 31, 1993, 6:27:10 PM1/31/93
In article <1k98a9...@ub.d.umn.edu> afr...@ub.d.umn.edu (Ed Olczyk) writes:
>In article <C1Hx9...@cs.mcgill.ca> sha...@cs.mcgill.ca (Lydia Mancini) writes:
>>2) Any other sports facilities out there who don't sell beer either?
>The only other ones I know of are college arenas. Even when pro teams are
>playing there.

I heard recently that Maple Leaf Gardens has gone smoke-free ?
That gives me hope that it will happen here in Winnipeg too someday.
(SMOKING is not allowed in the seats but one needs a gas mask during intermission

How common / uncommon are smoke-free arenas ?
(hopefully they are becoming more common. Im told that _IF_ Winnipeg
gets a new arena it will be smoke-free)

Ken D. U of Manitoba

Scott Simpson

Feb 1, 1993, 4:03:40 AM2/1/93
In article <C1qrt...@ccu.umanitoba.ca> k...@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Ken De Cruyenaere) writes:

> I heard recently that Maple Leaf Gardens has gone smoke-free ?
> That gives me hope that it will happen here in Winnipeg too someday.
>(SMOKING is not allowed in the seats but one needs a gas mask during intermission
> How common / uncommon are smoke-free arenas ?
> (hopefully they are becoming more common. Im told that _IF_ Winnipeg
> gets a new arena it will be smoke-free)
> Ken D. U of Manitoba

The Civic Centre here in Ottawa is completely smoke-free as of Jan. 1 of this
year. Like in Winnipeg (and most other cities, I imagine), smoking was not
allowed in the seats, but it was in the concourse. Because the smoke was
intolerable by the second intermission, they banned it altogether last month.

Later,
Scott
---
By day, sim...@bnr.ca, by night, rec.sport.hockey Ottawa Senators Contact
TODAY'S .SIG: [Pay heed, for this quote/word/fact may alter your very being!]
"But don't take *my* word for it, let's ask an actor portraying Charles
Darwin what *he* thinks...", Monty Burns, _The Simpsons_
)-> In case it's not obvious, BNR and I may or may not share these views. <-(

Barton Oleksy

Feb 2, 1993, 10:37:17 PM2/2/93
lave...@bnr.ca (Marc Lavergne) writes:

>In article <C1Hx9...@cs.mcgill.ca>, sha...@cs.mcgill.ca (Lydia Mancini) writes:
>|> 2) Any other sports facilities out there who don't sell beer either?
>|>

>Indeed. $4.25 for a glass of flat draft beer and $5.50 for a glass of wine.

>Rip-off. Worst than the biggest beer joke in the world: the SkyDome.

Northlands Coliseum in Edmonton has sold beer for a while, but on a
limited scale. Only sold in the lowest level (ice level, under the seats)
with a max of 2 per person (basically unenforceable), can't take your
beer out of a very limited area near where they sell it.

however, they have just announced that they will for the first time
allow beer drinkers to take their beer(s?) with them to the seats.

Not without some controversy, of course, but probably without too
much incident. Prices are $3.50 for a larger plastic "glass".

Bart, Edmonton AB
ba...@splunge.uucp (or ba...@nait.ab.ca )