Manson Suspension + one more thing

als3...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

Dec 28, 1989, 5:38:50 AM12/28/89

I was just wondering, what do you all think about Dave Manson's 13
game suspension. From what I saw, Denis Savard should be suspended
for his sucker punch. And it appears that Manson never left the ice.
Anyway, I was just wondering what you all thought.

Also, is it just me, or is it a crime that Darren Puppa is not one
of the top five goalies in All-Star voting. I think he's great.
Just putting in my $0.02 worth.

Felix A. Madera

Rob Springall

Dec 28, 1989, 1:38:22 PM12/28/89
In article <1269...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> als3...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>I was just wondering, what do you all think about Dave Manson's 13
>game suspension.
From what I've seen and heard, he was already out of the game, off the ice
and in the runway. Even if he wasn't actually off the ice, he should have
been. No excuse for coming back and mixing it up. 10 games. Period.
He also pushed an official so he could get involved. 3 games. Period.
I don't have the NHL Rulebook but from what I understand all of this
is automatic. If I were the Blackhawks management I'd swallow the penalty.

>Also, is it just me, or is it a crime that Darren Puppa is not one
>of the top five goalies in All-Star voting. I think he's great.

Two reasons why he's not getting votes...
1. Puppa is not on the ballot.
2. He is just starting to make a name for himself outside of Western
New York. He's never played in conference or Stanley Cup finals (like Roy,
Vernon, Hextall, Chevrier, etc.) and he's not playing for a team that has
been very popular across the league (though that is changing :-).
I'm a HUGE Sabres fan and I too think Pupps and Mallard are great,
both All-Star material. Given time, they will get the praise the deserve.
BTW, I hate to bitch, but Puppa's first name is Daren, one "r".

Just a thought...

Rob Springall WAKALUK McCRORY PRIESTLAY AUDETTE
Health Systems International _ _ __ __ __ __ __
New Haven, CT | | __| __| __| __| |__|
spri...@hsi.com | uunet!hsi!springal _|_ _|_ |__ |__ |__ |__ |__|

joseph.a.karpierz

Dec 28, 1989, 11:41:29 AM12/28/89
In article <1269...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, als3...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> I was just wondering, what do you all think about Dave Manson's 13
> game suspension. From what I saw, Denis Savard should be suspended
> for his sucker punch. And it appears that Manson never left the ice.
> Anyway, I was just wondering what you all thought.

Unfortunately, I only saw some edited highlights on ESPN, so I don't know
the full extent except what I read in the papers. If he did leave the
ice and come back, then he deserves the suspension (according to the rules).
I abhor the violence (fighting) in hockey anyway. It is a shame that
somebody with that apparent talent has to continually get involved in
brawls. Last year, after he cleaned up his act, he played well enough
to be named to the all-star team. So what is his problem? I did see
him charge back into the brawl, purportedly to protect Savard, but that's
uncalled for. Book him.

In terms of Savard, according to the Chicago Sun-Times of 12/27, either
Keenan or Pulford admitted that the NHL blew it because both Savard and
another Blackhawk left the ice and came back with no repercussion. As
much as I'm a Blackhawk fan, and would hate to see them lose Savard, if
he left the ice and came back, he's guilty and should be penalized.

I did not see Savard's sucker punch, so I can't comment on that.

Joe Karpierz

B. Kazmierczak

Dec 29, 1989, 1:07:03 PM12/29/89
>Also, is it just me, or is it a crime that Darren Puppa is not one
>of the top five goalies in All-Star voting. I think he's great.
>Just putting in my $0.02 worth.

I don't even think he was on the ballot. I think we here in
Buffalo just gave up on the "all-star" (maybe it should be the "most
popular in the most populated areas" team) system. You can just look
at the results to see where the most voting takes place. Another player
not on the all-star ballot for the first time in a long time is Dave
Andreychuck (19 goals). Unless something stupid happens, Puppa and
Turgeon should be the coaches pick.

-----
Brian

Stephen M. Dunn

Jan 2, 1990, 9:25:42 PM1/2/90
$I was just wondering, what do you all think about Dave Manson's 13
$game suspension. From what I saw, Denis Savard should be suspended
$for his sucker punch. And it appears that Manson never left the ice.

On Hockey Night In Canada, Ron MacLean read from the NHL Rule Book and,
assuming that he is capable of reading correctly and that he has a current
rule book, the rule doesn't just say you'll get suspended if you leave and
return, but also if you are _ordered_ to leave and stay or leave and return.
It was apparent from what I saw on the telecast that dave "Charlie" Manson
was escorted to the edge of the ice surface, and I'm sure he was told in no
uncertain terms to get the **** off the ice.

My brother thought there was some sort of rule stating that if you got
more than one game misconduct in the same game, you ended up with a
suspension because of it. Well, Manson got three game misconducts (is this
a record?) but no extra suspension because of it (he got the mandatory three
games for bowling over an official to be the third man in on the Leeman-
Savard fight and the maximum ten games for not leaving the ice when ordered
to do so). Is his memory wrong on this one?

Don Cherry thought it was patently unfair for a player from one
team to be ordered off the ice without simultaneously removing a player
from the other team because then that leaves one extra player for one
team. Personally, I think this is garbage because if that extra player
does anything other than stand around he gets kicked out, fined, etc., and
Cherry said this because he loves fights (to be fair to him, however, he
did compliment the teams in one other game - Edmonton and I forget
who - for an excellent period of hockey, and there were no fights). What
do other net.people think of Grapes' opinion?
--
Stephen M. Dunn cs4...@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
<std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";