Latest Lindros trade rumor

Mike Machnik

Sep 11, 1991, 9:11:30 AM9/11/91
I'm surprised I haven't seen anything on this here yet. Maybe news is slow
today.

Anyway, this morning a Boston radio station reported the rumor that St Louis
is offering Oates, Brind'Amour, & Paul Cavallini to Quebec for Lindros. I
think the Blues would be getting taken on this one. Could Quebec survive
with that much offense and no defense?

Speaking of which, the hot rumor being bandied about on WEEI (just went to
all-sports in Boston, except for their idiotic morning program) last night
involved Boston sending Bourque to Quebec for Lindros. This intrigues me.
What was most interesting was all the Bruins fans who called up during the
show, shocked that anyone could think of dealing Bourque, and claiming he
was the "best player in the NHL". He's up there, no doubt, but I would
have trouble saying he was *the* best. As far as this deal, considering
that the Bruins have fallen so far behind the rest of the teams in the league
who have great offenses (Pittsburgh is the only Wales team who can compete
with the speedy, offense-minded Wales teams), I think I would make it. I'd
miss Bourque, but throughout his best years he alone still cannot bring
Boston a Cup. I think with Lindros, they'd have a better chance.

It doesn't matter because we aren't going to see it happen. Harry knows
the Jacobs would never pay that kind of money to an 18-year-old kid. He
had trouble getting less than half that to pay Bourque, one of the city's
2 or 3 most popular athletes.
--
== Mike Machnik Bull HN Information Systems Inc. ==
== 508-294-2177 300 Concord Road MA30-819A ==

Gary L Dare

Sep 11, 1991, 2:00:42 PM9/11/91
mi...@bubba.ma30.bull.com writes:

>Anyway, this morning a Boston radio station reported the rumor that
>St Louis is offering Oates, Brind'Amour, & Paul Cavallini to Quebec
>for Lindros.

I'll call this one DOA, although we're sure to see Rod Brind'Amour out
of St. Louis sometime since his name was mentioned in the arbitration
for Brendan Shanahan (heck, I'd be pissed off and want out, too). Now
that we've seen Eric in action at the Canada Cup, and keeping in mind
that he's only 18, his value has skyrocketed.

[re: Bourque for Lindros]

>It doesn't matter because we aren't going to see it happen. Harry
>knows the Jacobs would never pay that kind of money to an 18-year-old
>kid. He had trouble getting less than half that to pay Bourque, one
>of the city's 2 or 3 most popular athletes.

I'll call this one as well as any further Lindros-Mario rumours DOA as
well, simply on the age factor as well as injuries (Mario's back and
Ray's brush with physical burnout). One has to realize that a trade
of the magnitude that sent Gretzky to L.A. can only happen if the star
wants a trade and the organization he's leaving is desperate enough to
let him go, i.e., Pocklington cashflow problems. Ed DeBartolo, Sr.
would let go of Mario for the right price, but the Nordiques aren't
behind that kind of financial 8-ball ... and no other owners including
the Jacobs and Paramount (Rangers) are willing to put themselves into
such a situation -- unless the Rangers can tie Lindros' contract into
their local cable deal with MSG; the stickler here is that both are
owned by Paramount directly and can't dish around funny money the same
way they gave the Yankees a cool $500 Million for local cable baseball
(that's right, *no* typos).

gld
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Je me souviens ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gary L. Dare Trumps Split! (p.1) - NY Post,
> g...@cunixD.cc.columbia.EDU Tyson KO'd! (p.3) Monday
> g...@cunixc.BITNET Mandela Freed! (p.7) Feb.11/90

Richard J Coyle

Sep 11, 1991, 3:21:50 PM9/11/91
In article <1991Sep11.1...@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> g...@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Gary L Dare) writes:
>I'll call this one as well as any further Lindros-Mario rumours DOA as
>well, simply on the age factor as well as injuries (Mario's back and
>Ray's brush with physical burnout). One has to realize that a trade
>of the magnitude that sent Gretzky to L.A. can only happen if the star
>wants a trade and the organization he's leaving is desperate enough to
>let him go, i.e., Pocklington cashflow problems. Ed DeBartolo, Sr.
>would let go of Mario for the right price, but the Nordiques aren't
>behind that kind of financial 8-ball ... and no other owners including

And truthfully, not too many teams want to pay out the kind of money
that Lindros is demanding. It's unlikely, with his Canada Cup
performance, that he'd be willing to take less than $2 million a year
or so, and that's only his first contract. After that, it goes up.
And who the hell could afford that? Many if not most teams already
sell all of their tickets, so they have nothing to gain from the
publicity, and really stand to profit relatively little from his
presence except for the extra playoff games that he might help them
gain. General managers and coaches might want him, but how many owners
would? Especially Jacobs and DeBartolo; both of their teams can very
realistically hope to play in at least the conference finals again next
year, so unless they have a burning desire to win, what's the point to
giving away the farm? And I think most owners would rather make money
and lose than lose money and win.

rick

Mike Machnik

Sep 11, 1991, 8:32:15 PM9/11/91
In article <1991Sep11.1...@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, g...@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Gary L Dare) writes:
> mi...@bubba.ma30.bull.com writes:
>>
>>Anyway, this morning a Boston radio station reported the rumor that
>>St Louis is offering Oates, Brind'Amour, & Paul Cavallini to Quebec
>>for Lindros.
>
> I'll call this one DOA, although we're sure to see Rod Brind'Amour out
> of St. Louis sometime since his name was mentioned in the arbitration
> for Brendan Shanahan (heck, I'd be pissed off and want out, too). Now
> that we've seen Eric in action at the Canada Cup, and keeping in mind
> that he's only 18, his value has skyrocketed.

I agree that it won't happen; Oates is too valuable as a playmaker to the
Blues, Brind'Amour will come into his own this season and Cavallini is more
valuable this season with the loss of Stevens (assuming that stands). But,
Gary, are you suggesting Lindros is worth *more* in a deal? Short of Wayne
or Mario, or a Messier-Fuhr package, I can't see what more someone could
offer the Nordiques; if you were Quebec, what would you be looking for? I
would be looking for at least one established player, preferably two, and I
wouldn't want to hear much about picks.

As for the price tag, I believe that after the CBA we'll see a huge jump in
salaries - not to the extent of the other sports, but a jump nonetheless.
If that happens, Lindros may still not get his $3 million, but it might
not be far off. I agree that some owners already named are simply not
going to pay that kind of money, but others will. Sooner or later, Lindros
will get his bucks, whether he returns to junior and lets everyone fight it
out, or he gets it now from Quebec or someone else.

BTW, during the Finland-USA game tonight CTV reported that Tikkanen is on
the verge of signing a 6-year, ($10-mil?) deal with the Oilers. He says he
*is* returning to the NHL and isn't going to play in Europe. The CTV folks
(we know how credible they are, but I'll relay it anyway) thought it was
inevitable that Messier would be dealt soon.

Also, Vladimir Ruzicka leads all Bruins in scoring through the first few
days of scrimmages. Sure, that's without Janney & Neely, but hey, I gambled
on the guy in my fantasy draft and I'm hoping it pays off.

To continue to stuff as much information as possible into one posting (it's
difficult reading news from home at this account), I want to say that
despite the rough going Finland had tonight against USA, I was very happy
to see the way Finland played in the CC. I'm sure all the readers from
Finland are very proud of their team's showing and the way they earned
respect over here - and they have every right to feel that way.
Congratulations and good luck in Albertville. And, sorry, but I'm looking
forward to seeing Ketterer in the NHL someday. :-)
---
Mike Machnik nin1...@merrimack.edu mi...@bubba.ma30.bull.com