Coffey for Norris Trophy

Shahid Syed

Mar 28, 1995, 3:07:05 PM3/28/95
man, this guy is amazing this year. he's having one of the most
spectacular seasons in his career. I don't think many guys his age can
do what he's doing right now. Did you see that goal he scored against
Calgary? WOWWWWWWW!! came out of the penalty box, recieved the pass
skating backwards for about 10 feet, turned around, turned up the
boosters and whipped it pass Kidd. Coffey for Norris

shahid

Richard Delano

Mar 28, 1995, 4:28:25 PM3/28/95
Shahid Syed (sh...@umd.umich.edu) wrote:
: man, this guy is amazing this year. he's having one of the most

How does that make him a Norris candidate? Last time I checked the Norris
Trophy went to best "defenseman" not offensive defenseman. Bourque and
Chelios are light years ahead of Coffey in the Norris running.

Rich
Boston Univ.

Patrick Dare

Mar 28, 1995, 6:04:44 PM3/28/95

You're kidding, right? Paul Coffey for Norris? "Mr. Minus"? One
of the requirements for the Norris Trophy winner is to actually play
defense, and Coffey wouldn't know a defensive defenseman if he hit him
in the ass with a shovel. Coffey is one of the most overrated players
in the NHL. He's got great hands, excellent speed, a good scoring
touch, and ABSOLUTELY NO DEFENSIVE ABILITY WHATSOEVER. I really think
he should be a winger, with his skills, but he whined and complained
when Pittsburgh tried that a few years ago.

Besides, even if you aren't kidding, there is no way that Coffey can
compare to the year that Chelios is having, or to the Ancient One (that
would be Ray Bourque).
"And if you don't have a Ray Bourque around, just use whatever you
have." -- Cam Neely, from his Nike commercial.
--
Patrick Dare Chesapeake Admirals, UBA
bh...@freenet.buffalo.edu San Diego Beach Bums, IBA

r...@interlog.com

Mar 28, 1995, 7:03:39 PM3/28/95
bh...@freenet.buffalo.edu (Patrick Dare) writes:

>You're kidding, right? Paul Coffey for Norris? "Mr. Minus"? One
>of the requirements for the Norris Trophy winner is to actually play
>defense, and Coffey wouldn't know a defensive defenseman if he hit him
>in the ass with a shovel. Coffey is one of the most overrated players
>in the NHL. He's got great hands, excellent speed, a good scoring
>touch, and ABSOLUTELY NO DEFENSIVE ABILITY WHATSOEVER. I really think
>he should be a winger, with his skills, but he whined and complained
>when Pittsburgh tried that a few years ago.

You are accurate in that this is the traditional knock on Coffey. When
Bowman went to Detroit I figured Coffey was history. But it hasn't
happened. Detroit is playing outstanding defence as well as offence
and Coffey is getting all kinds of ice time. But I haven't seen Coffey
play all that much this year so...

cordially, as always,

rm

Alex A Goddard

Mar 28, 1995, 9:05:09 PM3/28/95
Coffey for the Norris? Who are the runners up, Larry Murphy and Phil
Housley? Coffey was never the best defenseman in the league, even when
he won the Norris. In his prime he was a great offensive defenseman and
a below average defensive player. Today he is an above average offensive
defenseman and a dreadful defensive player. There are at least a dozen
defensemen more deserving of the award then Coffey.

Alex

ANDREW BRIGANT

Mar 29, 1995, 12:58:03 AM3/29/95
In article <3l9v1p$l...@news.bu.edu>, Richard Delano <r...@bu.edu> wrote:

>How does that make him a Norris candidate? Last time I checked the Norris
>Trophy went to best "defenseman" not offensive defenseman. Bourque and
>Chelios are light years ahead of Coffey in the Norris running.

Yeah, and the Selke is for the best defensive forward. Next time you check
look and see how many Norrises Coffey already has...well this isn't a
research assignment, he has 2, and I don't ever remember Coffey playing
good defense.

As much as I hate it, whoever votes for these awards likes to see big numbers.
Chelios is my favourite defenseman, and I freely admit Bourque is the best
in the league, but I think Coffey stands just as much a chance of winning
the Norris this year as Bourque and Chelios. It looks impressive that he's
leading Detoit's high-powered offence in points, and if they win the conference
and even the President's Trophy, he could be the man with 3 instead of Chelios.

I think they only consider defensive ability if they need a tie breaker. #8-\

Andy B.

Gerald Olchowy

Mar 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM3/29/95
bh...@freenet.buffalo.edu (Patrick Dare) writes:

>You're kidding, right? Paul Coffey for Norris? "Mr. Minus"? One
>of the requirements for the Norris Trophy winner is to actually play
>defense, and Coffey wouldn't know a defensive defenseman if he hit him
>in the ass with a shovel. Coffey is one of the most overrated players
>in the NHL. He's got great hands, excellent speed, a good scoring
>touch, and ABSOLUTELY NO DEFENSIVE ABILITY WHATSOEVER. I really think
>he should be a winger, with his skills, but he whined and complained
>when Pittsburgh tried that a few years ago.

Paul Coffey's main problem as a player is that he is too good, and
mere mortals have trouble playing with him. The difference between
him and Orr, aside from the fact that Orr was one tough bastard also,
was that Orr could compensate and adapt to the play of mere mortals
and raise their game while doing it, and not diminishing his own.
This perhaps is just another way of saying that Paul is not as
intelligent as Orr or Bourque.

The higher the quality of the hockey...the more valuable Paul
Coffey becomes as a player.

He played for Canada in 3 Canada Cups and was better than Bourque
in the two that Bourque played with him in 84 and 87, and he
played for Keenan in 87 and 91.

Bowman is perhaps just beginning to figure Paul Coffey out, and
how to best use him...

Gerald

Richard Delano

Mar 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM3/29/95
ANDREW BRIGANT (bri...@gaul.csd.uwo.ca) wrote:

: In article <3l9v1p$l...@news.bu.edu>, Richard Delano <r...@bu.edu> wrote:
: >
: >How does that make him a Norris candidate? Last time I checked the Norris
: >Trophy went to best "defenseman" not offensive defenseman. Bourque and
: >Chelios are light years ahead of Coffey in the Norris running.

: Yeah, and the Selke is for the best defensive forward. Next time you check
: look and see how many Norrises Coffey already has...well this isn't a
: research assignment, he has 2, and I don't ever remember Coffey playing
: good defense.

I know that Coffey has won the award before. Doesn't make it right though.

Shahid Syed

Mar 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM3/29/95

obviously you don't follow the wings. Well I have one thing to say.
Scotty Bowman said that Coffee is playing the best overall hockey in the
his career. That counts everything from leadership to scoring. And
another thing, look at his age. case closed

AKIS, RICHARD JOHN

Mar 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM3/29/95
In article <3l9v1p$l...@news.bu.edu>, r...@bu.edu (Richard Delano) writes...

Unfortunately, for a long period of time, starting with Bobby
Orr, the highest scoring defenseman (or at least someone who is
close to the top) has usually ended up winning the Norris. Coffey
is a good example of this- he's already won it twice. The two years
that Larry Robinson won the trophy, he lead all defensemen in scoring,
as did Randy Carlyle when he won it. I suspect that if Bourque had been
averaging 40 pts/year instead of 90, he'd still be waiting for his
first Norris. Chelios is also a good offensive defenseman. The only
Norris winner in the last 28 years who was a defensive defenseman was
Rod Langway.

Richard A.

Richard Delano

Mar 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM3/29/95
AKIS, RICHARD JOHN (ak...@vax2.concordia.ca) wrote:
[...]

This I'll agree with, but there's a MAJOR difference between the names
mentioned here (Robinson, Carlyle, Langway) and Paul Coffey. These guys
are/were all very good two way players. The high point totals certainly
helped, but they were by no means a defensive liability. Coffey on the
other hand is nothing more than a forward disguised as a defenseman.

Ooops! Replace Langway with Chelios and Bourque in my second line above.
Langway was a great defensive defenseman, but nothing spectacular offensively.

Rich
Boston Univ.

r...@interlog.com

Mar 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM3/29/95
olc...@gsb004.cs.ualberta.ca (Gerald "Oiler Owner Rep" Olchowy) writes:

>Paul Coffey's main problem as a player is that he is too good, and

Actually Coffey's main problem is that his team faces an awful lot
of 3 on 1's when he's on the ice.

>mere mortals have trouble playing with him. The difference between
>him and Orr, aside from the fact that Orr was one tough bastard also,

And since when was Orr "one tough bastard?" Orr hardly ever got into
a fight and when he did he got the shit pounded right out of him. And
Orr was not tough in the corners nor was he an open ice hitter. So what
exactly do you mean by "one tough bastard?"

>was that Orr could compensate and adapt to the play of mere mortals
>and raise their game while doing it, and not diminishing his own.

Yes well Orr raised Espo's point totals while Gretzky and Lemieux raised
Coffey's. Calling Coffey one of the best of all-time is just about as
silly as calling Mike Bossy one of the greatest.

>This perhaps is just another way of saying that Paul is not as
>intelligent as Orr or Bourque.

What the hell is this supposed to mean?

>The higher the quality of the hockey...the more valuable Paul
>Coffey becomes as a player.

You mean the better his teammates are the more points he gets? Sounds
about right to me...

>He played for Canada in 3 Canada Cups and was better than Bourque
>in the two that Bourque played with him in 84 and 87, and he
>played for Keenan in 87 and 91.

What does "better" mean? Scored more points?

>Bowman is perhaps just beginning to figure Paul Coffey out, and
>how to best use him...

Well the teams that used Paul Coffey "best" in the past had godawful
defences. This is not true in Detroit. Let me suggest to you that
Coffey is at a point in his career where he has to put up or shut up
and he has learned how to play the Bowman wants him to play.

cordially, as always,

rm

Al Gonsalves

Mar 29, 1995, 8:58:17 PM3/29/95
Coffey seems to be a forward playing the wrong position. He's got
great offensive skills, and he might win the Norris if he ever learned
to play more than just mediocre defense. After all, the Norris
goes to the league's top defenseman, which is why Ray Bourque wins
it just about every year, and will again this year, at age 34.
BDG

Note - the opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my
father, whose name appears on this post. e-mail all flames to me.
b...@shore.net

Al Gonsalves

Mar 29, 1995, 11:57:23 PM3/29/95
I agree with my brother. Bourque rarely makes mistakes and is,
without a doubt, the best defenseman in the league.

Amy G. (my e-mai...@shore.net-posting on my dad's cuz it's easier)

Mattias Kreku

Mar 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM3/30/95
Alex A Goddard (agod...@uoguelph.ca) wrote:
: Coffey for the Norris? Who are the runners up, Larry Murphy and Phil

: Alex

Yeah, like Ulf Samuelsson for example.. :)

mk

r...@interlog.com

Mar 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM3/31/95
dotr...@zebu.cvm.msu.edu (TRAVIS, DOMINIC A.) writes:

I said:

>>Well the teams that used Paul Coffey "best" in the past had godawful
>>defences. This is not true in Detroit. Let me suggest to you that
>>Coffey is at a point in his career where he has to put up or shut up
>>and he has learned how to play the Bowman wants him to play.

>you just screwed yourself because putting up or shuting up for Bowman means
>playing good defense and he is getting a huge amount of playing
>time and leading the team in points by ASSISTS(28). So if he is a
>bad defensman why has Bowman increased his time in a defensively oriented
>team? By your argument he should definetly win this year.

How have I "screwed" myself? We were talking about Coffey's career. I think
that Coffey is probably having the best year of his career and I have said
as much in another post. But if all Coffey was doing was offence he wouldn't
even be on the team.

BTW: how about editing the included text in your followups?

cordially, as always,

rm