Good Wiemer Line on ESPN

tom wilson

May 7, 1992, 11:48:10 PM5/7/92
Jim Wiemer had a goal and assist (I think) in the Bruins win over the
Canadiens, and the ESPN announcer said:

"...and Wiemer with the goal. Wiemer, you can't stop him, you can only
contain him."

Of course, Wiemer isn't known for filling the net. The only other piece of
news I have is that Bourque didn't play. I don't have any details, but I'm
guessing that he was just playing it safe.

Tom

Big Bri

May 8, 1992, 9:20:16 AM5/8/92
wil...@cs.ucf.edu (tom wilson) writes:

With his goal last night, his playoff goal total equaled his regualr season
goal total at 1.

The Canadiens opened the scoring about 1 minute and a half into the game
before Glen Murray tied it up about 10 minutes in. With 5 seconds left
in the first, the Bruins were on a power play and some how Ruzicka scored a
major fluke goal. He was breaking down the left wing and just centered it
(even though no one was there) and it went between Roy's pads and off his
skate into the net. This was a huge goal because it had appearesd that the
Habs were going to kill of a long 5 on 3 situation.

About 1 and a half minutes into the second, Wiemer took a centering past a
wriisted it over Roy's shoulder to make it 3-1.

The Canadiens scored late in the third with about 6 minutes left but
the Bruins did an outstanding job killing the clock. They never allowed
the Canadiens to get much of an attack. They were able to clear the
puck without icing it and forced a lot of faceoffs in the Habs zone.
The Canadiens were unable to pull Roy until about 30 seconds left. They
had a bunch of good chances but an alert Moog came up big.

Definitely the stars of the game had to be Don Sweeney, Wiemer and Glen
WEsley. The Bruins' defense was awesome. Having to replace the best
defenseman in the league and his 45 minutes a game was very tough but
these 3 and the other Bruins' defensemen did a great job playing their
own game. No one really rushed but their defensive play was sound,
standing up at the blueline and not letting the Habs carry it in.
Bowness said befopre the game, "We're not going to replace Bourque. We
can't replace him. We are just going to ask everyone to play their own
game." (slightly paraphrased perhaps). Well, the Bruins played 60 minutes
of solid hockey and their defense (and Andy Moog) won it for them.

I think this proves that when they play 60 minutes of good, solid hockey
the Bruins can beat anyone. They just plain outworked the Canadiens and they
always seemed to get the loose pucks.

\ BRI FARENELL CLARKSON '95 FARE...@CRAFT.CAMP.CLARKSON.EDU
\ REC.SPORT.HOCKEY'S (unofficial) AHL CONTACT
\
\ ADIRONDACK RED WINGS 1992 Northern Division Playoff Champs
\ CALDER CUP CHAMPS: 1981 1986 1989 1992(?)
\
------------
| Go B's |
------------
| | | | | |

George Ferguson

May 8, 1992, 10:23:10 AM5/8/92

In article <1992May8.0...@cs.ucf.edu> wil...@cs.ucf.edu (tom wilson) writes:
>Of course, Wiemer isn't known for filling the net. The only other piece of
>news I have is that Bourque didn't play. I don't have any details, but I'm
>guessing that he was just playing it safe.

The only other detail you need is that the Habs stink. Peee-yew. The
Bruins D played well, as someone else already said.

George
--
George Ferguson ARPA: ferg...@cs.rochester.edu
Dept. of Computer Science UUCP: rutgers!rochester!ferguson

George Ferguson

May 8, 1992, 10:25:20 AM5/8/92

In article <farenebt....@craft.camp.clarkson.edu> fare...@craft.camp.clarkson.edu (Big Bri) writes:
>I think this proves that when they play 60 minutes of good, solid hockey
>the Bruins can beat anyone. They just plain outworked the Canadiens and they
>always seemed to get the loose pucks.

Correction -- Anyone who plays 60 minutes of good solid hockey can
beat anyone. And "work" is certainly not a work that the Habs seem to
understand. Pat Burns was red in the face as he gave instructions with
about a minute and a half left in the game. Even Roy wasn't
concentrating, letting in Ruzicka's goal.

David R. Jaracz

May 8, 1992, 12:55:40 PM5/8/92
In article <1992May8.0...@cs.ucf.edu> wil...@cs.ucf.edu (tom wilson) writes:
>Jim Wiemer had a goal and assist (I think) in the Bruins win over the
>Canadiens, and the ESPN announcer said:
>
>"...and Wiemer with the goal. Wiemer, you can't stop him, you can only
>contain him."

Laugh! :)

>Of course, Wiemer isn't known for filling the net. The only other piece of
>news I have is that Bourque didn't play. I don't have any details, but I'm
>guessing that he was just playing it safe.
>
>Tom

Seriously, though, Weimer has played two GREAT defenive series. IMHO,
I think he's an extremely underrated player. He won't get many
points, but that's not his job. He just plays good, solid defense.
No if the Bruins could only get Tom Kurvers and pair the two together.....