NHL eyes NBC national breakthrough

Mark Shneyder 432-4219

May 29, 1992, 9:39:46 AM5/29/92
This is from today's Boston Herald(5/29). Copied without permission...
of course.

Hey Lori,read and learn...This is how it's done.It only takes one line of typing.
But for a head knob like you, it might take two...:-)

" As another hockey merry-go-round climaxes with a Pittsburgh-Chicago
final that can only be seen on cable(SportsChannel America),NHL officials
finally realize that to be percieved as major league in this country,you
must have a major network connection.

And not just no-hit,no-defense,no-intensity All-Star Game connection.

An arrangement is being sought that would place four to eight NHL games
next season on NBC. The network which has aired the past three All-Star
affairs is set for one more and owns 50% of Rainbow Enterprises,parent
of SportsChannel AMerica.

If a deal materializes,as pitched, the NHL would buy time and sell the
commercials,including several to the Upper Deck card co.,which concieved
the proposal. The approach is nothing new : The ABC-Raycom college
basketball package, NBC's Ironman and Escape from Alcatraz,triathlons,
and CBS's infamous dog show are al time-buys. NHL folks undoubtedly
figure : If dogs can sell out commercially, why not us?

NBC officials threw some cold water on the proposal yesterday,denying a
published report in Toronto of a deal and indicating that with the NBA,
golf and other major events, there's precious little room for a mult-game
NHL deal.

"There's no agreement and no deal",said spokesman Ed Markey, who said
he had no knowledge of behind-the-scenes discussions.

He did say NBC can't guarantee that all affiliates carry an NHL package.

"Not all our affiliates carry Notre Dame.We don't guarantee complete
clearance for anything except an like the SuperBowl",he said.

NHL broadcast director Joel Nixon's visit to ESPN today(Friday 5/29)
indicates the league recognizes the error of bolting for $17 million
a year(now $3.7 million on an expiring deal) to SCA and scant exposure
that has reached 25 million when ESPN reaches 59.6million. SCA chief
Jeff Ruhe said the NHL has the right to renew at an undisclosed
pre-set price through June 21-22.

"Thre's a germ of truth to the(NBC) idea in that we've been talking
about this kind of thing for years.It fits right into our multi-marketing
strategy",Nixon said.

-Mark

Nelson Lu

May 29, 1992, 12:59:28 PM5/29/92
In article <12...@hsdndev.UUCP> nh...@gauss.med.harvard.edu (Mark Shneyder 432-4219) writes:
>This is from today's Boston Herald(5/29). Copied without permission...
>of course.
>
>Hey Lori,read and learn...This is how it's done.It only takes one line of typing.
>But for a head knob like you, it might take two...:-)

[And then went on copying the article, making bundles of punctuation errors
that should have been corrected in grammar school]

Lori writes (and/or copies) a million times better than you do. Thank you.

GO LOS ANGELES KINGS! Go for Next Year! :-(
GO SAN JOSE SHARKS! Ray Whitney for Calder! Jeff Hackett for Vezina!
Pat Falloon for Hart! :-) Neil Wilkinson for Norris! ('92-'93)
Nelson Lu (clau...@leland.stanford.edu)
rec.sport.hockey contact for the San Jose Sharks

Mark Shneyder 432-4219

May 29, 1992, 1:59:48 PM5/29/92
In article <1992May29.1...@leland.Stanford.EDU> clau...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Nelson Lu) writes:

>Lori writes (and/or copies) a million times better than you do. Thank you.
^^^^

>GO LOS ANGELES KINGS! Go for Next Year! :-(
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>GO SAN JOSE SHARKS! Ray Whitney for Calder! Jeff Hackett for Vezina!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nelson,you're rooting for some serious losers. Get your life focused
or you'll become a dead beat like many obnoxious Pens fans if you're
not already....

-Mark

Mark Shneyder 432-4219

May 29, 1992, 2:03:40 PM5/29/92

In article <1992May29.1...@leland.Stanford.EDU> clau...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Nelson Lu) writes:

>Lori writes (and/or copies) a million times better than you do. Thank you.
^^^^
>GO LOS ANGELES KINGS! Go for Next Year! :-(
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>GO SAN JOSE SHARKS! Ray Whitney for Calder! Jeff Hackett for Vezina!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nelson,you're rooting for some serious losers. Get your life focused

or you'll become a deadbeat like many obnoxious Pens fans in this group
if you're not one already....

You're welcome.

-Mark

Nelson Lu

May 29, 1992, 3:06:41 PM5/29/92
In article <12...@hsdndev.UUCP> nh...@gauss.med.harvard.edu (Mark Shneyder 432-4219) writes:

I despise obnoxious Pens fans, but you are more obnoxious than they are.

GO LOS ANGELES KINGS! Go for Next Year! :-(

GO SAN JOSE SHARKS! Ray Whitney for Calder! Jeff Hackett for Vezina!

Mark Shneyder 432-4219

May 29, 1992, 3:23:47 PM5/29/92
In article <1992May29....@leland.Stanford.EDU> clau...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Nelson Lu) writes:

>I despise obnoxious Pens fans, but you are more obnoxious than they are.

That's only your opinion. Opinions are like assholes,everybody has one.
I only based my post on facts. You liking Lori's garbage+LA Kings+SJ Sharks
= out of touch with reality.

Sherri Nichols

May 29, 1992, 3:40:36 PM5/29/92
In article <12...@hsdndev.UUCP> nh...@gauss.med.harvard.edu (Mark Shneyder 432-4219) writes:
>That's only your opinion. Opinions are like assholes,everybody has one.
>I only based my post on facts. You liking Lori's garbage+LA Kings+SJ Sharks
>= out of touch with reality.

Interesting definition of the word "fact".

Sherri Nichols
snic...@adobe.com

Eric Rickin

May 29, 1992, 5:28:27 PM5/29/92

In a previous article, nh...@gauss.med.harvard.edu (Mark Shneyder 432-4219) says:

>>Lori writes (and/or copies) a million times better than you do. Thank you.

>^^^^

>>GO LOS ANGELES KINGS! Go for Next Year! :-(

>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>>GO SAN JOSE SHARKS! Ray Whitney for Calder! Jeff Hackett for Vezina!

>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Nelson,you're rooting for some serious losers. Get your life focused
>or you'll become a dead beat like many obnoxious Pens fans if you're
>not already....
>
>-Mark

MArk, you are a real credit to Harvard yourself. Perhaps people would
like you if you weren't so mean spirited.

--
Eric Rickin (ab...@cleveland.freenet.edu)
University of Michigan '96; East Quad, Cooley, Room 0339

vlad

Jun 2, 1992, 6:46:25 PM6/2/92
In article <12...@hsdndev.UUCP> nh...@gauss.med.harvard.edu (Mark Shneyder 432-4219) writes:

>NHL broadcast director Joel Nixon's visit to ESPN today(Friday 5/29)
>indicates the league recognizes the error of bolting for $17 million
>a year(now $3.7 million on an expiring deal) to SCA and scant exposure
>that has reached 25 million when ESPN reaches 59.6million. SCA chief
>Jeff Ruhe said the NHL has the right to renew at an undisclosed
>pre-set price through June 21-22.
>
>"Thre's a germ of truth to the(NBC) idea in that we've been talking
>about this kind of thing for years.It fits right into our multi-marketing
>strategy",Nixon said.

Strategy? Is that what they call it?! Does flipping coins to decide what to
do next REALLY constitute a strategy?

Employer disagrees