Lindros and rumors

Valerie S. Hammerl

Jun 18, 1992, 9:07:34 AM6/18/92
Gotta love the Toronto media. Seems nary a day passes without a new
rumor running out of the woodwork. :-)

Today's rumors, courtesy of CFNY:

Eric Lindros to Toronto for Ellett, Fuhr, and $20 Million.

Also, they rumored that several players around the League (no names
given) have stated that they will not sign with Quebec if they are
traded for Lindros.

--
Valerie Hammerl Underemployed technical writer seeks
ham...@acsu.buffalo.edu job in North America. Willing to

Nelson Lu

Jun 18, 1992, 4:47:54 PM6/18/92
In article <Bq1Ls...@acsu.buffalo.edu> ham...@acsu.buffalo.edu (Valerie S. Hammerl) writes:
>Gotta love the Toronto media. Seems nary a day passes without a new
>rumor running out of the woodwork. :-)
>
>Today's rumors, courtesy of CFNY:
>
>Eric Lindros to Toronto for Ellett, Fuhr, and $20 Million.

Toronto can have that in their dreams. If Quebec makes that deal, don't
expect the Nordiques to make the playoffs in the next 10 years.

GO LOS ANGELES KINGS! Go for Next Year! :-(
GO SAN JOSE SHARKS! Ray Whitney for Calder! Jeff Hackett for Vezina!
Pat Falloon for Hart! :-) Neil Wilkinson for Norris! ('92-'93)
Nelson Lu (clau...@leland.stanford.edu)
rec.sport.hockey contact for the San Jose Sharks

Mike Godfrey

Jun 19, 1992, 9:00:44 AM6/19/92

According Page, they are only a player or a draft pick away from trading
Lindros. The deal is expected to be consummated before noon today.

Where's he going? All likely suspectys commented that if Page is close
with someone, it isn't them. Reports variously claim Philly, Toronto and
Detroit, althought Detroit seems to be losing interest.

In article <1992Jun18....@leland.Stanford.EDU> clau...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Nelson Lu) writes:

>>Eric Lindros to Toronto for Ellett, Fuhr, and $20 Million.
>
>Toronto can have that in their dreams. If Quebec makes that deal, don't
>expect the Nordiques to make the playoffs in the next 10 years.

The "real" latest offer (according to today's paper) is:
Potvin
Berehowsky (OHL defenseman of the year)
Ellet
2 forwards to be named later
2 first round draft picks
$20M cash
first refusal rights on Yolanda Macmillan

Well, OK, the last line is a joke. But the rest is a "real rumour".

--
Mike Godfrey "All we like sheep, all we like sheep,
Dept of Comp Sci, UofT "All we like sheep, all we like sheep."

SGL...@cmsa.gmr.com

Jun 19, 1992, 10:39:30 AM6/19/92
In article <1992Jun19.0...@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>
mi...@turing.toronto.edu (Mike Godfrey) writes:

>According Page, they are only a player or a draft pick away from trading
>Lindros. The deal is expected to be consummated before noon today.
>
>Where's he going? All likely suspectys commented that if Page is close
>with someone, it isn't them. Reports variously claim Philly, Toronto and
>Detroit, althought Detroit seems to be losing interest.

According to this morning's paper, Lindros will be going to
Calgary for something like MacInnis, Roberts, Fluery, Vernon
and some draft picks or cash.

Apparently, Phili, Toronto, and Detroit have all pulled out of the
bidding.

But who knows, it seems to change day-to-day.

-Scott

MAD MAX - THE ROAD WARRIOR

Jun 19, 1992, 10:51:00 AM6/19/92
In article <1992Jun19.0...@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>, mi...@turing.toronto.edu (Mike Godfrey) writes...

>According Page, they are only a player or a draft pick away from trading
>Lindros. The deal is expected to be consummated before noon today.
>
>Where's he going? All likely suspectys commented that if Page is close
>with someone, it isn't them. Reports variously claim Philly, Toronto and
>Detroit, althought Detroit seems to be losing interest.

Of course no one is going to tip their hand as to how close they are to
Lindros. It could sway another team in the same division to increase their
offer.

Brian

Gerald Olchowy

Jun 19, 1992, 9:55:11 AM6/19/92
>According Page, they are only a player or a draft pick away from trading
>Lindros. The deal is expected to be consummated before noon today.
>
>Where's he going? All likely suspectys commented that if Page is close
>with someone, it isn't them. Reports variously claim Philly, Toronto and
>Detroit, althought Detroit seems to be losing interest.
>
>The "real" latest offer (according to today's paper) is:
> Potvin
> Berehowsky (OHL defenseman of the year)
> Ellet
> 2 forwards to be named later
> 2 first round draft picks
> $20M cash
> first refusal rights on Yolanda Macmillan
>
>Well, OK, the last line is a joke. But the rest is a "real rumour".

In today's Toronto Sun, Scott Morrison suggest the Blackhawks are
now probably the favorite with an offer of something like

Belfour, Larmer, Steve Smith, Dykhuis, McAmmond, Matteau, a #1,
and cash...

...now that is an offer...

Gerald

joseph.a.karpierz

Jun 19, 1992, 11:43:33 AM6/19/92

The Chicago Sun-Times this morning (6/19) says basically the same
thing, except the Dykhuis is only a maybe.

> ...now that is an offer...

And too much of one at that. I would not like that deal, being a
Blackhawks' fan

Joe Karpierz

Paul Jezioranski

Jun 19, 1992, 12:56:17 PM6/19/92
In article <1992Jun19.1...@cbnewse.cb.att.com>,

golc...@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (Gerald Olchowy) writes:
> > Belfour, Larmer, Steve Smith, Dykhuis, McAmmond, Matteau, a #1,
> > and cash...
>
> > ...now that is an offer...
>
> And too much of one at that. I would not like that deal, being a
> Blackhawks' fan

I second that. Keenan has lost what's left of his mind if this deal goes
through. I thought Federov & Yzerman for Lindros was acceptable. Perhaps
Larmer, Belfour and Matteau for Lindros, but throwing in cash, young
players, Smith and a draft pick is ludicrous.

Paul Jezioranski | What, me worry??
psy...@bnr.ca |
Bell-Northern Research, Inc. RTP, NC |

Peter Bruce Harper

Jun 19, 1992, 12:25:18 PM6/19/92

>In today's Toronto Sun, Scott Morrison suggest the Blackhawks are
>now probably the favorite with an offer of something like
>
>Belfour, Larmer, Steve Smith, Dykhuis, McAmmond, Matteau, a #1,
>and cash...
>
>...now that is an offer...
>
>Gerald

Does this seem to be getting a little ridiculous to anyone else? Belfour
is one of the top-five goalies in the NHL (possibly IMO), Steve Smith is
a great defenseman, Larmer is one of the toughest, most physical players
in the game, and Matteau has potential to be a pretty good player (no
Lemieux but . . .).

They're going to give up all this for 1 player who has yet to prove that
he can handle playing in the NHL over the long-haul? Sure he was good in
the Canada Cup, but that only last, what, a month or two? And what if he
gets injured? Now they've given up 6 players and have gotten 1 who can't
play.

I don't know, maybe it's just me . . .

-Pete

joseph.a.karpierz

Jun 19, 1992, 1:48:10 PM6/19/92
In article <1992Jun19.1...@wpi.WPI.EDU>, patc...@wpi.WPI.EDU (Peter Bruce Harper) writes:

Stuff deleted about Chicago offer

> Does this seem to be getting a little ridiculous to anyone else? Belfour
> is one of the top-five goalies in the NHL (possibly IMO), Steve Smith is
> a great defenseman, Larmer is one of the toughest, most physical players
> in the game, and Matteau has potential to be a pretty good player (no
> Lemieux but . . .).
>
> They're going to give up all this for 1 player who has yet to prove that
> he can handle playing in the NHL over the long-haul? Sure he was good in
> the Canada Cup, but that only last, what, a month or two? And what if he
> gets injured? Now they've given up 6 players and have gotten 1 who can't
> play.
>
> I don't know, maybe it's just me . . .

No, it's not just you. It's me and probably just about every other
level headed hockey fan. Even the Chicago press isn't behind this one,
at least as near as I can tell.

And lest we forget, after the trade is made, and all those players, draft
picks, and cash are given up by whichever team "wins" the bidding, all
that teams has won is the right to try and sign Lindros. Yep, the
winning bidder is not done spending yet.

Joe Karpierz

Christopher Vi Quaranta

Jun 19, 1992, 3:01:58 PM6/19/92

you're saying about Lindros. Granted he may yet be the franchise player that
everyone seems to think he'll be, but he still hasn't played one game in the
NHL and Calgary is offering guys like Roberts, MacInnis, Fluery, & Vernon in
one package?!?!?! They're nuts. Granted again that Calgary went nowhere
with the guys they had, there is no way IMO that Lindros is worth that much.
If he'd played several seasons, and proved his ability to match that of the
'ol Gretzky, Lemiuex, Yzerman, Neely, Hull, or any one of the other league
stars then maybe I could see it. Hey the facts don't lie, and whatever the
reasons may be, Joe Juneau had more points, and IMO played better than
Lindros in the Olympics. Now that I've berated little Eric, I'll leave....
Remember it's only my opinion, but think about what Patch and I said...

-chris
Chris_Q...@vos.stratus.com chr...@wpi.wpi.edu
Stratus Computer, Inc. O Worcester Polytechnic Institute
2 Cabot Road R 100 Institute Road

Lori Iannamico

Jun 19, 1992, 4:01:22 PM6/19/92
In article <1992Jun19.1...@wpi.WPI.EDU> patc...@wpi.WPI.EDU (Peter Bruce Harper) writes:

>>Lindros stuff deleted.

>Does this seem to be getting a little ridiculous to anyone else?

It's ridiculous to me. I'm surprised that teams like Philadelphia and Chicago
are willing to gut themselves (Hockey hari kari!), and then kick in millions
to get an unproven commodity.

I know that Lindros is supposed to be the next hockey savior, but he hasn't
done anything yet in the NHL to warrant all this craziness. It's crazy to
sacrifice so much for him. And to make it worse, the team that gets Lindros
still has to try to sign him. Who knows how much that will cost.

GM Pierre Page is going to take the "Lindros Sweepstakes" for all it's worth.
He's no fool. But the GM who ends up with Lindros just might be one.

Lori

Gilles Carmel

Jun 19, 1992, 6:08:25 PM6/19/92

Well, its 18:00 here in Long Island, and I still didnot heard of any trade!!

Gerald Olchowy

Jun 19, 1992, 7:41:34 PM6/19/92
In article <1992Jun19....@brtph560.bnr.ca> psy...@brtpa25.bnr.ca (Paul Jezioranski) writes:
>In article <1992Jun19.1...@cbnewse.cb.att.com>,
>fis...@cbnewse.cb.att.com (joseph.a.karpierz) writes:
>> In article <1992Jun19....@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca>,
>golc...@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (Gerald Olchowy) writes:
>> > Belfour, Larmer, Steve Smith, Dykhuis, McAmmond, Matteau, a #1,
>> > and cash...
>>
>> > ...now that is an offer...
>>
>> And too much of one at that. I would not like that deal, being a
>> Blackhawks' fan
>
>I second that. Keenan has lost what's left of his mind if this deal goes
>through. I thought Federov & Yzerman for Lindros was acceptable. Perhaps
>Larmer, Belfour and Matteau for Lindros, but throwing in cash, young
>players, Smith and a draft pick is ludicrous.

Well...any deal for Lindros would not be one person's decision...if
Chicago does make it, undoubtedly it will be an organization decision
involving Pulford and Wirtz...I doubt if Keenan has the authority
to offer $10 million plus.

Considering Larmer's and Smith's ages, and the fact the Quebec would
be letting Chicago keep their two best players Chelios and Roenick,
and Kravchuk who is younger...it is not as great an offer as the
number of players involved suggest.

Gerald

Gerald Olchowy

Jun 19, 1992, 7:45:14 PM6/19/92
In article <1992Jun19.1...@wpi.WPI.EDU> patc...@wpi.WPI.EDU (Peter Bruce Harper) writes:

>>In today's Toronto Sun, Scott Morrison suggest the Blackhawks are
>>now probably the favorite with an offer of something like
>>
>>Belfour, Larmer, Steve Smith, Dykhuis, McAmmond, Matteau, a #1,
>>and cash...
>>
>>...now that is an offer...
>>

>Does this seem to be getting a little ridiculous to anyone else? Belfour
>is one of the top-five goalies in the NHL (possibly IMO), Steve Smith is
>a great defenseman, Larmer is one of the toughest, most physical players
>in the game, and Matteau has potential to be a pretty good player (no
>Lemieux but . . .).

Did you watch the playoffs...Belfour may not be one of the top five
five goaltenders in the Norris Division...

>They're going to give up all this for 1 player who has yet to prove that
>he can handle playing in the NHL over the long-haul? Sure he was good in
>the Canada Cup, but that only last, what, a month or two? And what if he
>gets injured? Now they've given up 6 players and have gotten 1 who can't
>play.
>
>I don't know, maybe it's just me . . .

Look at two of the late entrants into the Lindros Derby...Calgary and
Chicago...exactly what do these teams have in common...they have Dave
King and Mike Keenan...Dave King coached Lindros in the Olympics and
Keenan coached him in the Canada Cup...

Gerald

Todd Lipinski

Jun 19, 1992, 12:27:09 PM6/19/92
In article <1992Jun19....@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca>

>....now that is an offer...
>
>Gerald

I find this hard to believe. I could see Smith or Dykhuis, but not both.
Dykhuis is supposed to be the future of the Hawks defensive corps and Smith was
a huge reason they made it to the finals. Also, after losing Vincellette in
the expansion draft, I don't think they would want ot give up Matteau. I could
be wrong. I haven't necessarily agreed with any of the moves Keenan has made
at first, but some have really paid off.(i.e. Chelios, Smith)

-todd

ge...@skatter.usask.ca

Jun 21, 1992, 9:46:41 PM6/21/92
From article <1992Jun19.2...@cs.cmu.edu>, by ll...@cs.cmu.edu (Lori Iannamico):

> In article <1992Jun19.1...@wpi.WPI.EDU> patc...@wpi.WPI.EDU (Peter Bruce Harper) writes:
>
>>Does this seem to be getting a little ridiculous to anyone else?
>
> It's ridiculous to me. I'm surprised that teams like Philadelphia and Chicago
> are willing to gut themselves (Hockey hari kari!), and then kick in millions
> to get an unproven commodity.

What is with this unproven commodity stuff all the time? Oh yeah all those
people saying this want him to play 2 or 3 years on a bummer team just so
he can "prove" he's worthy. Look the kid played in the WJC, the Olympics
and the CC at the age of 18 and didn't look out of place except at the WJC
where he looked better than anyone there.

When Lemieux was drafted he had played at most in the WJC and I bet most
of the NHL teams at the time would have traded their "collective" left nut
for him.

Face it Lindros will provide a team with a presence that a Bure, Lidstrom,
Amonte, Weight, etc. can't. Lindros isn't just big he's huge and he's only
now 19 years old. None of the trades I've seen suggested from Chicago, Phili.
Detroit etc. were giving away too much(well maybe Phili. but only because they
don't have any fillers, see below), on the other hand some of the trades
that Quebec was asking for(which is a seperate thing) were ridiculous.

> I know that Lindros is supposed to be the next hockey savior, but he hasn't
> done anything yet in the NHL to warrant all this craziness. It's crazy to
> sacrifice so much for him. And to make it worse, the team that gets Lindros
> still has to try to sign him. Who knows how much that will cost.

Lindros will probably get $2 million/year on a 3-4 year contract(this is
only my opinion based on what I'd pay him). As far as sacrificing too much,
the only team that is sacrificing too much(IMO) is Phili. since it will take
them some time to build around Lindros. Chicago, Detroit, NJ and NY all have
a very solid base of players that they can trade away and not damage their
team. Many of the players these teams have suggested giving up can easily
be replaced by other members on the same team who are not getting the
playing time.

An example is the Chicago trade, with Kravchuk's presence Smith becomes
expendable. We just finished a discussion of how Hasek might be better
than Belfour thus we should all know that Belfour is expendable. Larmer
is getting old and his job can easily be filled by a younger player, in
fact than you throw in Matteau and it's still no big deal since you will
than have Lindros. Thus if I basically told you I could get Lindros for
Matteau people would be calling me a genius, that's what Chicago's trade
comes down to because every other player in that deal is replaceable by
someone currently on their roster. What about the draft picks and $$ you
ask? Ignore them. With the strength that Chicago has their first round
picks would be somewhere in the bottom 6 picks, hardly a great position to
be drafting from. The money is just a throw in to make the whole deal look
expensive(someone want to try to tell me Wirtz can't afford a $15-25 million
tax write off).

Now that's my view of the Chicago trade, a similar "analysis" can be done
for NJ,NY and especially Detroit. Thus what those teams "offered" was no
big deal. On the other hand Quebec asked for Roenick instead of Matteau,
now that would be incredibly stupid from the Chicago point of view. Similarly
if Quebec asked for Messier say instead of Patrick, that again would be
stupid. But I didn't expect anything less from Aubut and Page, there isn't
a brain cell between the two of them. They're asking for the moon and scaring
away good trades rather than being content to settle for making it halfway
to the moon(from a Quebec point of view).

> GM Pierre Page is going to take the "Lindros Sweepstakes" for all it's worth.
> He's no fool. But the GM who ends up with Lindros just might be one.

Wrong Page is a fool, he proved it by once again letting his team flounder
at the basement of the league when trading Lindros right after the CC would
have netted him the moon I mentioned above. Of course I now have the screw
up at the Entry draft yesterday as even more proof of the stupidity and
greed lurking in the management positions for Quebec. After that debacle can
anyone still wonder why Lindros would not want to play for them.

--
Gerald Gryschuk Saskatoon,Saskatchewan = a place with 9 months
ge...@sask.usask.ca of hockey and 3 months of poor skating.