Sakic is ours tomorrow!!!!

olorin

Aug 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/12/97

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997 14:09:14 -0400, bluel...@webtv.net wrote:

>One more day until the rangers have Sakic!!!! If the Avalanche don't
>match by 8 PM EDT on Wednesday, the Rangers have Sakic and an even
>better shot at another Stanley cup.

i wouldn't hold my breath. i expect the avs to match no matter how
much it hurts.

olorin

M. Zaiem Beg

Aug 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/12/97

Aaron Price <flas...@shore.net> wrote:
: : we will find out for sure, but I think that the Rangers are going to have
: : a PR fiasco with the loss of Messier and the fallen hopes of attaining
: : Sakic.

: It's early to speculate, but who do think would be next. Modano? Would
: they give up 5 1st rounders for him? He's still young, and could be a
: superstar some day, but lotsa ifs. Who else is left?

Nobody. They can only tender one offer to one Group II free agent per
year. If Sakic stays with Colorado, the Rangers are out of luck. They
can't offer Kariya, Federov, or Modano an offer sheet.
--
-M. Zaiem Beg
zb...@holly.colostate.edu

M. Zaiem Beg

Aug 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/12/97

bluel...@webtv.net wrote:
: One more day until the rangers have Sakic!!!! If the Avalanche don't
: match by 8 PM EDT on Wednesday, the Rangers have Sakic and an even
: better shot at another Stanley cup.

Probably not, though. The Avs are going to match, now that the Pepsi
Center (The new arena) has been inked and is a done deal. That was the big
thing that was holding the franchise back, financially. 6:00 MDT tomorrow

we will find out for sure, but I think that the Rangers are going to have
a PR fiasco with the loss of Messier and the fallen hopes of attaining
Sakic.

We'll know for sure in 25 hours.

bluel...@webtv.net

Aug 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/12/97

Tim Larison

Aug 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/12/97

bluel...@webtv.net wrote:

The Avalanche and the city of Denver announced an agreement for a new
arena today (the Pepsi Center). With the guarantee of a new arena on
the way, the Avs will more than likely match the offer for Sakic.
They have lots of luxury boxes to sell in the new place, and they
aren't about to alienate their fans by letting Sakic go. Charlie
Lyons, president of Ascent (owners of the Avs), says the team can come
up with the money to match if they choose to do so.

We'll know for sure tomorrow, but the speculation in Denver is that
the Avs will match. Last week (before the Pepsi Center deal) most
people thought Sakic was a goner.

Tim in Denver

ROBO and Sonia

Aug 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/12/97

bluel...@webtv.net said:

>One more day until the rangers have Sakic!!!! If the Avalanche don't
>match by 8 PM EDT on Wednesday, the Rangers have Sakic and an even
>better shot at another Stanley cup.

if you keep Gretz, do you put him on a line with sakic, or do you center them on
the first 2 lines?

cogito ergo SQUAT!

Rob and Sonia

"It's a great day for hockey"
- the late Badger Bob

M. Zaiem Beg

Aug 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/13/97

Steve Mccormack <RVD...@prodigy.com> wrote:
: The Avalanche (according to CNN SI) will match the offer and make the
: announcement at a corporate press conference tomorrow. Rumor is the
: Rangers WILL go after Kariya next but I don't see that working either.

: Steve

They can't.
They only get one offer sheet to a Group II restricted free agent per
year. They went after Sakic, they failed. That's it. End of opportunity.
No Modano, no Kariya, no Federov. No second chances. Make your offer good,
cause it's the only one you get to make all year. The Rangers are out of
luck.

Shoulda kept Messier, eh Neil? :)

Neal Bauer

Aug 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/13/97

bluel...@webtv.net wrote:
: One more day until the rangers have Sakic!!!! If the Avalanche don't

: match by 8 PM EDT on Wednesday, the Rangers have Sakic and an even
: better shot at another Stanley cup.

Denver news is saying that the Avs are matching the offer. THe announcement
is expected Wed. morn.

Neal

Aaron Price

Aug 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/13/97

: we will find out for sure, but I think that the Rangers are going to have

: a PR fiasco with the loss of Messier and the fallen hopes of attaining
: Sakic.

It's early to speculate, but who do think would be next. Modano? Would
they give up 5 1st rounders for him? He's still young, and could be a
superstar some day, but lotsa ifs. Who else is left?

Aaron Price www.shiningpath.com
AMENDMENT ONE:
*Congress shall make no law* respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof;or abridging freedom of speech...

M. Zaiem Beg

Aug 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/13/97

ROBO and Sonia <ROBO and Sonia> wrote:

: >Moot points anyway, 'cause Sakic isn't going anywhere.

: yep. Didn't want him in NY anyway. Looks like Forsberg still has a second line
: center to back him up. :)
Sour grapes? "Didn't want him anyway." :)

Interesting to note that Liberty Media, a division of TCI, invested a
great deal in the Pepsi Center, making it largely possible for the company
to match the Sakic offer. Liberty Media also owns a piece of the New York
Rangers. =-)

Gordon Fountain

Aug 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/13/97

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997 14:09:14 -0400, bluel...@webtv.net wrote:

>One more day until the rangers have Sakic!!!! If the Avalanche don't
>match by 8 PM EDT on Wednesday, the Rangers have Sakic and an even
>better shot at another Stanley cup.

The Avalanche and Nuggets agreed on a deal to build the Pepsi Center
so now the Avalanche will have the money to match Sakic. Pick on some
team your own size, I dare the Rangers to try and sign Kariya.

Alex Goddard

Aug 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/13/97

In article <33f2ea3a...@news.mindspring.com>,

ROBO and Sonia (ROBO and Sonia ) wrote:

if you keep Gretz, do you put him on a line with sakic, or do you center them on
>the first 2 lines?

There's an easy solution. Play Gretz on leftwing. He is, and always has been,
a left winger. He may be listed as a centre, but watch him play. He plays a
left-winger's position both on offence and defense. There'd be no problem
playing him with Sakic (a true centre). They'd never get in each other's way.

Alex

Alex Goddard

Aug 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/13/97

In article <5sr1ot$p...@fridge-nf0.shore.net>,
Aaron Price <flas...@shore.net> wrote:

> It's early to speculate, but who do think would be next. Modano? Would
>they give up 5 1st rounders for him? He's still young, and could be a
>superstar some day, but lotsa ifs. Who else is left?

The kicker with Modano is his Americanism. He's a very valuable asset (ie
an American superstar) which makes him as valued an asset for an American
team as his ability. If I owned an American team, I'd rather have Modano
than just about anybody. The "home-town" marketing angle is worth millions.

Alex

Steve Mccormack

Aug 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/13/97

James Burrows

Aug 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/13/97

M. Zaiem Beg (zb...@holly.ColoState.EDU) writes:

> Nobody. They can only tender one offer to one Group II free agent per
> year. If Sakic stays with Colorado, the Rangers are out of luck. They
> can't offer Kariya, Federov, or Modano an offer sheet.

> --
> -M. Zaiem Beg
> zb...@holly.colostate.edu

Where did you get this information? This ng is the only place I've heard
of this rule, in fact all the news/sports reports claim the Rangers are
going after Kariya now that Colorado matched for Sakic.

--
James Burrows Club Dead.....................
al...@freenet.carleton.ca The Antidote for Civilization.

M. Zaiem Beg

Aug 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/13/97

James Burrows <al...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote:

: > Nobody. They can only tender one offer to one Group II free agent per

: > year. If Sakic stays with Colorado, the Rangers are out of luck. They
: > can't offer Kariya, Federov, or Modano an offer sheet.

: Where did you get this information? This ng is the only place I've heard

: of this rule, in fact all the news/sports reports claim the Rangers are
: going after Kariya now that Colorado matched for Sakic.

I was wrong about this, as were many others. This was an error on my part,
but I read that a team can only offer one offer sheet per year. However,
apparently I was mistaken. Damn them all. Oh, well...at least Colorado
gets to keep Sakic, and Disney can't be bullied as easily.

ROBO and Sonia

Aug 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/13/97

Alex Goddard <agod...@netcom.ca> said:

Hmmm, I dunno about this one. He spends his best time right behind the net.
I'd still like to see him have the freedom to roam behind the net on both sides,
and maintain his position as primary playmaker.
You raise an interesting point, as Mario has always played a winger's game,
setting up at the point. He was more of a goal scorer than Gretz is now,
however.

Pointman

Aug 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/13/97

Alex Goddard (agod...@netcom.ca) wrote:
: In article <5sr1ot$p...@fridge-nf0.shore.net>,

yes, reports are saying colorado will match the offer sheet for Sakic.
they state that an unidentified source is going to front the 15 million
signing bonus. well, there are lots of rich people in the US, so i'm not
surprised...but i do wonder what that person/organization asked for in
return (lifetime luxury boxes? sleep with the stanley cup? sleep with the
players' wifes?).
As a rangers fan, you betcha i'm dissapointed. seeing the lines of
Sakic, Kovalev and Graves, Gretzky, Sundstrom, and Robitaille, with
Skrudland and Keane manning the 3rd and 4th checking line...oh well.
btw, Modano is a legitimate superstar regardless of his heritage. he's
just not getting enought exposure playing in dallas. The rangers should be
persuing him next.
Kariya is out of the question cus Disney can buy MSG if they wanted to,
and you outta be shot if you dare split up the dynamic duo kariya and
selanne.

Pointman
...gosh i really hope this won't turn out like baseball...

D MacLellan

Aug 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/14/97

Guess your eating your words now. Messier is gone, now you have no
superstars.

ROBO and Sonia

Aug 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/14/97

M. Zaiem Beg <zb...@holly.ColoState.EDU> said:

>ROBO and Sonia <ROBO and Sonia> wrote:
>
>: >Moot points anyway, 'cause Sakic isn't going anywhere.
>
>: yep. Didn't want him in NY anyway. Looks like Forsberg still has a second line
>: center to back him up. :)
>Sour grapes? "Didn't want him anyway." :)

trust me, I am NOT a Ranger fan. Quite the opposite, and that's WHY I didn't
want him there.

VLDept-E.LOR(MT5655)1240MT

Aug 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/14/97

In article <01bca85f$21705260$6b29b7cc@default>,

D MacLellan <dmacl...@coastalnet.com> wrote:
>Guess your eating your words now. Messier is gone, now you have no
>superstars.

To those who complain about player salaries driving up ticket prices:

if the Rangers can't sign a mega$$$ superstar for the upcoming
season, do you think they will reduce ticket prices?

Is it time to wake up and smell the coffee?

--
Edward Lor
l...@mtdcc.ATT.COM

Pointman

Aug 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/14/97

M. Zaiem Beg (zb...@holly.ColoState.EDU) wrote:
: They can't.

: They only get one offer sheet to a Group II restricted free agent per
: year. They went after Sakic, they failed. That's it. End of opportunity.
: No Modano, no Kariya, no Federov. No second chances. Make your offer good,
: cause it's the only one you get to make all year. The Rangers are out of
: luck.
: --
: -M. Zaiem Beg
: zb...@holly.colostate.edu

I don't think this is true. They can sign only 1 group 2 free agent, but
they can give as many offers as they want. Then again, if you prove me
wrong, i don't mind being enlightened.
As i posted earlier, Disney will be stupid as heck if they let kariya go.
unless kariya really show disinterest in the team after they, again, i use
the word 'stupid'ly let wilson walk. I maybe bias (big kariya fan), to
hate to see him as a 'show me the money' type of guy...so the fact that
him and his agent rejected the ducks first offer...hmmmmmm.... if the
rangers do infact persue kariya, it'll be a trade with lots of money
involved. my personal possible scenario...kovalev, a dman, some draft
picks, and tons of cash for a disgruntled (if and only if) kariya.
otherwise, bill guerin, rob neidermayer might take some considerations.

Pointman
...gosh i hope this won't turn out like baseball...

"Joe Sakic, you'd just won the lottery, where are you going next?"
media answer: "i'm just glad things work out, and i know where i'll be
playing next year."

in the back of his head: "god bless the rangers."

ROBO and Sonia

Aug 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/14/97

Alex Goddard <agod...@netcom.ca> said:

>In article <33fa47d8...@news.mindspring.com>,

> ROBO and Sonia (ROBO and Sonia ) wrote:
>
>>Hmmm, I dunno about this one. He spends his best time right behind the net.
>

>That's not where a centre is supposed to be. It's the wingers' jobs to work the
>boards. The centre is, theoretically, supposed to find open ice.

sure, but as a center he has the opportunity to scoop the puck up regardless of
where it is on the ice, and set up shop behind the net. As a winger, he'd be
pretty much limited to one side of the ice, which would cut down on his only
true skill, creativity.

snip

>>You raise an interesting point, as Mario has always played a winger's game,
>>setting up at the point. He was more of a goal scorer than Gretz is now,
>>however.
>

>Mario usually found a home on the left boards, waiting for the shot from the slot
>or to pass either behind the net, to the slot or the point. Gretz did the same,
>except when he was behind the net. Both of those aspects of their game are more
>wingerish than centreish.

agreed. Interesting that even this past year, when mario didn't even take
faceoffs, he was still considered a center by many.

> Both Mario and Gretz covered the pointmen on defense,
>also which is truly a winger's job. It's understandable, though, to give
>them a few steps to spring a breakaway. Still, it's playing the wing, not centre.

>Moot points anyway, 'cause Sakic isn't going anywhere.

yep. Didn't want him in NY anyway. Looks like Forsberg still has a second line
center to back him up. :)

cogito ergo SQUAT!

Alex Goddard

Aug 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/14/97

In article <33fa47d8...@news.mindspring.com>,
ROBO and Sonia (ROBO and Sonia ) wrote:

>Hmmm, I dunno about this one. He spends his best time right behind the net.

That's not where a centre is supposed to be. It's the wingers' jobs to work the
boards. The centre is, theoretically, supposed to find open ice.

>I'd still like to see him have the freedom to roam behind the net on both sides,

>and maintain his position as primary playmaker.

He could still do this and not get in Sakic's way because Sakic usually cycles
the right side, which a centre is supposed to do.

>You raise an interesting point, as Mario has always played a winger's game,
>setting up at the point. He was more of a goal scorer than Gretz is now,
>however.

Mario usually found a home on the left boards, waiting for the shot from the slot
or to pass either behind the net, to the slot or the point. Gretz did the same,
except when he was behind the net. Both of those aspects of their game are more

wingerish than centreish. Both Mario and Gretz covered the pointmen on defense,

also which is truly a winger's job. It's understandable, though, to give
them a few steps to spring a breakaway. Still, it's playing the wing, not centre.

Moot points anyway, 'cause Sakic isn't going anywhere.

Alex

M. Zaiem Beg

Aug 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/14/97

Pointman <to...@is2.nyu.edu> wrote:

: M. Zaiem Beg (zb...@holly.ColoState.EDU) wrote:
: : They can't.
: : They only get one offer sheet to a Group II restricted free agent per
: : year. They went after Sakic, they failed. That's it. End of opportunity.
: : No Modano, no Kariya, no Federov. No second chances. Make your offer good,
: : cause it's the only one you get to make all year. The Rangers are out of
: : luck.

: I don't think this is true. They can sign only 1 group 2 free agent, but

: they can give as many offers as they want. Then again, if you prove me
: wrong, i don't mind being enlightened.

I'm afraid I've been the one in the dark. You are absolutely right.

: "Joe Sakic, you'd just won the lottery, where are you going next?"

: media answer: "i'm just glad things work out, and i know where i'll be
: playing next year."

Hmm. And if the Rangers tender a huge offer to Kariya, Anaheim
matches...he might just actually go to Disneyland.