Pens get robbed

Bill Beaulac

May 4, 1991, 1:24:27 PM5/4/91
In <124...@unix.cis.pitt.edu> jrm...@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Joseph R. Mcdonald) writes:

>Boston may prove to be the better team. But tonight, Pittsburgh definitely
>had the better of the play.

true, only if you choose to ignore the 8:14, 1:47 of which
the Pens were on the power-play, when Pittsburgh was outshot
8-1 during the time the game was on the line.

-bill

GaRY NEweLl

May 4, 1991, 3:44:28 PM5/4/91
In article <124...@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, jrm...@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Joseph R. Mcdonald) writes:
> In article <27...@optima.cs.arizona.edu> g...@cs.arizona.edu (GaRY NEweLl) writes:
> >> Sweeney pulls down Murphy......WHISTLE! .......Penalty, Pittsburgh, Murphy,
> >> Holding. Yea right.
> > You must be blind - I was shocked that the ref made the correct call but
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> You were "shocked" that he made the right call? Sounds to me like you know that
> he sucked too!

No - I was surprised that he made the call from the other side of the ice - and
initially I thought it was a bad call - but when the camera angle from
behind the net was shown it was clear that Sweeney was pulled down after having
his stick held for 15 feet - it was a correct call - granted I doubt he
saw it - but the call was correct.

> Boston may prove to be the better team. But tonight, Pittsburgh definitely
> had the better of the play.

Hmm... 1 shot to 8 in overtime???? the final shots were something like 34-30?
Not a dominating game in my book - sure Pittsburgh outplayed the B's for much
of the second period and the first half of the third (when Boston was
trying to hold on to a one goal lead - pretty stupid) but as soon as the
Penguins went up one goal, the B's dominated the remaining 6 or 7 minutes of the
third and totally dominated the overtime....

> > So the ref who called a penalty on the Bruins early into the overtime
> >as intimidated by the crowd? the ref who called three Bruins for
> >bogus calls against Mario was intimidated???
> Only one of the 3 penalties called was even REMOTELY bogus.
True. - But my original point still stands - you claimed the ref was intimidated
by the Boston crowd - a call against the B's in overtime is not the likely
result of such intimidation....

> P.S. The two times Mario beat Moog like a rented mule were the most
> satisfying parts of the night. However, the 30+ times Moog stoned
> the Pens were the difference. Moog was the difference between
> 10-4 and 4-4 in regulation.

Well Ruzicka (sp?) was a factor too - or did you miss his 4 assists and game
winning goal in overtime??

gln

Joseph A Corella

May 4, 1991, 6:36:55 PM5/4/91
In article <27...@optima.cs.arizona.edu> g...@cs.arizona.edu (GaRY NEweLl) writes:
>dominated the remaining 6 or 7 minutes of the third

Yeah, it's really tough to dominate a period when
during the 6 or 7 minutes the B's are on a power play for 2
min., for a 5 on 3 no less. Give us that in the Arena
tommorow night and I won't complain - I would call it poetic
justice, but noone in Boston knows how do do something as
difficult as rhyming...

-Billy

Can we can this now please???

Joseph A Corella

May 4, 1991, 12:53:45 AM5/4/91
In article <74...@brunix.UUCP> cs19...@cs.brown.edu (Andrew Sundelin) writes:
>In article <124...@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, jrm...@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Joseph R. Mcdonald) writes:

>|> 2nd period....Phil Bourque puts the puck past Moog as Wesley knocks the

>It had nothing to do with the ref or the goal judge -- the net was
off the moorings before the puck went in the net

Not to belabor the point, as I have learned to live with the
circumstances (really...no really....damnit I MEAN it..), but
the above statement is wrong - that puck was across the line
before the disgorging of the net just as sure as a 1 BR apt in
Boston costs $800.

-Billy

I don't like the fact that these playoffs are turning me into
a real moron (my dad would tell me that's not possible)...

Joseph A Corella

May 4, 1991, 10:42:29 AM5/4/91
In article <beaulac....@convex.convex.com> bea...@convex.com (Bill Beaulac) writes:
>In <124...@unix.cis.pitt.edu> jrm...@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Joseph R. Mcdonald) writes:
>> Bitch, lousy penalties, etc.
>
>One more question. How did you feel about Morelli when he called a
>penalty on Bourque at the start of the OT? More often than not that
>call would NOT have been made in an overtime game in May. But it
>was, why do you suppose?

Convenient memory there, bill. Granted, I always
thought you didn't call penalties in OT, and Ray probably
didn't deserve one at any rate - but the Pens got called for
an even more borderline penalty about 1:45 later (probably a
make up call). If you're going to call a make-up penalty,
look for it immediately so it doesn't affect the game.

Anyway, ENOUGH with the moaning/retorts - I know this
is foreign, but can we get back to thing like
1)who's scratched for tomorrow night
2)what Edmonton's going to do tonight
3)which team is going to get a 5 on 3 tomorrow night
at 17:29 (3rd).

-Bill

>-bill

GaRY NEweLl

May 4, 1991, 1:10:50 AM5/4/91
In article <124...@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, jrm...@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Joseph R. Mcdonald) writes:
> Well, I guess there is no justice among the Hockey Gods.
> Bruins win in overtime.....The games 3 stars:
> 1. Dan Marouelli - Boston MVP
> 2. Mario Lemieux - Great performance, though he couldn't handle Marouelli's
> relentlousness
> 3. Coach Milbury - For doing a great job kissing Marouelli's ass.

Oh - I see - and the three penalties that the Bruins picked up for hanging
on ol Mario don't seem to count right? Pittsburgh tries to hold on to a
one goal lead with 4 minutes left and when Boston presses and picks up the
penalty it is the ref's fault - I guess Penguin fans just aren't used to
playoff hockey....

> This is the f***ing playoffs!

Right!!- get a clue - I realize that the penguins are rarely there at this
time of year (in fact nver before) but this *is* the playoffs.....

> Sweeney pulls down Murphy......WHISTLE! .......Penalty, Pittsburgh, Murphy,
> Holding. Yea right.

You must be blind - I was shocked that the ref made the correct call but

there was an angle shown on Sports channel that clearly showed the
call was correct - he was held and dumped to the ice....

> Gordie Roberts nudges Wesley with his glove hand.....WHISTLE.....Penalty,
> Pittsburgh, Roberts, High-stick. Yea right.

stop whining and get the clubs ready....

> 2nd period....Phil Bourque puts the puck past Moog as Wesley knocks the

> net off the moorings. Obvious goal. Goal judge doesn't see it.

Hmmm- so Wesley knocked the net off??? Funny - it sure looked like
the pitt. player pulled it off to me....

> It was obvious tonight....even to Bruins fans (tho they won;t admit it).....
> that the better team didn;t win.

The better team is up 2 games to NONE - grow up....

> I don't want instant replay in Hockey, just competent Refs who aren't
> intimidated by the home crowd. They don't even have to be great Refs,
> just HONEST.

So the ref who called a penalty on the Bruins early into the overtime
as intimidated by the crowd? the ref who called three Bruins for
bogus calls against Mario was intimidated???

> You BET this is sour grapes....my favorite team just got cheated out of a
> very important game. Of COURSE its sour grapes!

NO - it is whining - there is a difference....

> BTW, Barrasso better wake up.

Why? Clearly from what you say it was totally the fault of the ref - why should
he wake up when it is clear that there is some grand conspiracy to cheat the
Penguins out of their deserved cup???

gln

Joseph A Corella

May 3, 1991, 11:31:37 PM5/3/91

Well, we just blew a good chance. Recchi seemed
pretty pissed in the locker room, lemme tell ya. Anyway, I'm
just as pissed as the next guy about the no-goal in th 2nd by
Phil Bourque, and the "high stick" which was in fact a push in
the face, but we got a few breaks in the Pitt-NJ series, and
they're just part of the game. Not to take anything away from
Barrasso, but the game could have turned out differently if he
had controlled the puck a bit better on a few occasions. If
the Pens want to pull this thing out, they're going to have to
sweep at home (obviously), and believe that they played well
enough tonight to win, as that would mean a lot in any
subsequent games at the Gahden. So, Bahston, thanks for a
good game, and we will keep comin' back at y'ins.

-Billy

P.S. I thought it was ill advised of Moog to try to
outmaneuver Lemieux behind his net.

Joseph R. Mcdonald

May 4, 1991, 1:50:25 AM5/4/91
In article <27...@optima.cs.arizona.edu> g...@cs.arizona.edu (GaRY NEweLl) writes:
>Oh - I see - and the three penalties that the Bruins picked up for hanging
>on ol Mario don't seem to count right? Pittsburgh tries to hold on to a
>one goal lead with 4 minutes left and when Boston presses and picks up the
>penalty it is the ref's fault - I guess Penguin fans just aren't used to
>playoff hockey....

The first boston penalty, with 4.5 minutes to go was legit. The one
that gave them a 2-man advantage was not.

Scenario: Boston leads Pittsburgh 4-3 with 4 minutes remaining at the
Civic Arena. Pittsburgh is on a Power Play. Wesley gives
Kevin Stevens a minor push with his glove on the side of his
face. Compared to the rough action earlier in the game this
is VERY minor. Ref calls a penalty on Wesley.

With a clear conscience, tell me you wouldn't think that was EXTREMELY
chicken shit! If you say no, you are lying to yourself.

> Right!!- get a clue - I realize that the penguins are rarely there at this
>time of year (in fact nver before) but this *is* the playoffs.....

Irrelevant to the discussion.

>> Sweeney pulls down Murphy......WHISTLE! .......Penalty, Pittsburgh, Murphy,
>> Holding. Yea right.
>
> You must be blind - I was shocked that the ref made the correct call but

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You were "shocked" that he made the right call? Sounds to me like you know that
he sucked too!

>> 2nd period....Phil Bourque puts the puck past Moog as Wesley knocks the

>> net off the moorings. Obvious goal. Goal judge doesn't see it.
>
> Hmmm- so Wesley knocked the net off??? Funny - it sure looked like
>the pitt. player pulled it off to me....

Watch the replay again. I did. Three times.
Marouelli had his head up his ass, and obviously, you did too during the play.

>> It was obvious tonight....even to Bruins fans (tho they won;t admit it).....
>> that the better team didn;t win.
>
> The better team is up 2 games to NONE - grow up....

Boston may prove to be the better team. But tonight, Pittsburgh definitely

had the better of the play.

> So the ref who called a penalty on the Bruins early into the overtime
>as intimidated by the crowd? the ref who called three Bruins for
>bogus calls against Mario was intimidated???

Only one of the 3 penalties called was even REMOTELY bogus.

The first penalty in overtime was legit. Bourque pulled down Recchi in
front of the net. Admittedly, it was not a penalty that is usually
called in overtime of a playoff game. But there was nothing "usual"
about the game Marouelli called.

>> You BET this is sour grapes....my favorite team just got cheated out of a
>> very important game. Of COURSE its sour grapes!
>
>NO - it is whining - there is a difference....

I won't get into semantics with you. I was pissed off earlier. I guess
I know how Jersey felt in game 6 of round 1. But that doesn't make tonight
ok. In game 1, Boston beat the Pens fair and square. In game 2, they
got major help from the officiating. That's all I am saying.

>> BTW, Barrasso better wake up.
>
>Why? Clearly from what you say it was totally the fault of the ref - why should
>he wake up when it is clear that there is some grand conspiracy to cheat the
>Penguins out of their deserved cup???

Barrasso better wake up because he is the only player on the Pens that
has been clearly outperformed by his Boston counterpart. He just happens
to be one of the more important players on the team.

And I'll still take Tommy over Pietrangelo anyday.

> gln

P.S. The two times Mario beat Moog like a rented mule were the most
satisfying parts of the night. However, the 30+ times Moog stoned
the Pens were the difference. Moog was the difference between
10-4 and 4-4 in regulation.

Dean

Bill Beaulac

May 4, 1991, 1:29:07 AM5/4/91
In <124...@unix.cis.pitt.edu> jrm...@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Joseph R. Mcdonald) writes:

Oh, brother, here we go, the whining begins. Are you trying
to emulate Mario, or what??

>Well, I guess there is no justice among the Hockey Gods.

you don't have to tell that to Bruins fans, weve been through
it enough to know better.

>Bruins win in overtime.....The games 3 stars:

>1. Dan Marouelli - Boston MVP

Oh, this is a good one. As you know the refs have historically
been Boston's friends. Gimme a break.

>2. Mario Lemieux - Great performance, though he couldn't handle Marouelli's
> relentlousness

Hey look, this is the playoffs. I know Mario's never been this
far before and it shows. Whining inn the season is one thing,
but during the playoffs you CAN'T let stuff like that bother you.
If Lemieux had put the effort he put into bitching about wether
the puck should be dropped in 20 seconds as opossed to 30, he
probably would have put home another goal or two. The Bruins
"delay tactics" were probably done more as a distraction than for
a rest. Remember, the Pens get extra rest during that time too.

>3. Coach Milbury - For doing a great job kissing Marouelli's ass.

Here's another one. bostson coaches/players in love with
the refs. Heard any other good jokes lately?

>This is the f***ing playoffs!

It's also May, the games change as the series progress, they
get tougher to win. Each team has to play at a better level
than the previous series. If the Pens keep build on the team
that they have over the next few years you'll realize as you
see them with May engagements more often.

>Sweeney pulls down Murphy......WHISTLE! .......Penalty, Pittsburgh, Murphy,
>Holding. Yea right.

Right. Sweeney was bringing the puck into the zone, it gets by
Murphy towards the net, Sweeney tries to go around Murphy to go
in alone on Barrazo, they both go down, the ref ALWAYS calls that
on the defender.

>Gordie Roberts nudges Wesley with his glove hand.....WHISTLE.....Penalty,
>Pittsburgh, Roberts, High-stick. Yea right.

Right again. The penalty was obvious, wether you call it a
high-stick, roughing, interference, what's the difference?
It's still 2 minutes. It was a STUPID thing to do when your
team is ahead by a goal to even put yourself in a position
where a penalty MIGHT be called. Chalk it up to lack of
playoff experience.

>2nd period....Phil Bourque puts the puck past Moog as Wesley knocks the
>net off the moorings. Obvious goal. Goal judge doesn't see it.

>Marouelli has his head up his ass......NO goal.

Goal judge has nothing to do with it. Net was obviously off
it's moorings and from the ref's position (which he was exactly
where he was supposed to be) Moog was down on the ice with the
puck under his legs, ref loses sight of it, sees the net off, and
blows the whistle. He did his job. The replay angle, which I
admit made it look close, was from above and behind the net NOT
from where the ref does his call from. The rule states that when
the ref loses sight of the puck, or the net comes of it's moorings
he's to blow the whistle. Both these things happened almost at
the same instant. Morrelli blew the whistle, as he should.

>It was obvious tonight....even to Bruins fans (tho they won;t admit it).....
>that the better team didn;t win.

Yeah, yeah. Penguins played a great game, the Bruins played a
lousy game (except when it was on the line), but all they ask
the next day is not how, but how many. You're team's outplayed
the Bruins (according to you) in the last 4 periods plau an OT.
What do they have to show for it? A two game deficit. Welcome
to the playoffs in May.

>just competent Refs who aren't
>intimidated by the home crowd.

Oh, now it was the crowd that caused it? Here I was almost convinced
by you that it was because Morelli loved the Bruins, he was their MVP,
or was it because Milbury was kissing his ass. Now I'm confused, which
was it?

>They don't even have to be great Refs,
>just HONEST.

Wait. Now it's because Morelli's dishonest. Glad to know it
wasn't the Garden crowd...

>You BET this is sour grapes....my favorite team just got cheated out of a
>very important game. Of COURSE its sour grapes!

quite apparently, a lot of whining too. The Penguins play a good
game, but when you come right down to it they didn't play good
enough to win. They weren't robbed, they simply lost.

BTW- how come Morelli didn't call the BLATANT penalty on the 'Guins player
that slid Barrazo his new stick?? That is a penalty in the NHL. As
a matter of fact, if it were done with the puck in the offensive zone
I believe it calls for a penalty shot. Where was Morelli then? Busy
rooting for the Bruins? Getting his ass kissed? cowering from the
crowd? Maybe doing something dishonest? WAKE UP! As you so eloquently
put it "this is the f*&#ing playoffs" some calls go your way some don't.

One more question. How did you feel about Morelli when he called a penalty
on Bourque at the start of the OT? More often than not that call would NOT
have been made in an overtime game in May. But it was, why do you suppose?

-bill

Sridhar Dasari

May 4, 1991, 12:14:36 PM5/4/91
jrm...@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Joseph R. Mcdonald) writes:
>Gordie Roberts nudges Wesley with his glove
>hand.....WHISTLE.....Penalty, Pittsburgh, Roberts, High-stick. Yea
right.

I agree that the wrong call was made for that play. It was definitely
not high sticking, but a roughing call would have been more
understandable. Roberts gave more than a "nudge" to Wesley.

I admit that the only time Bs played well was on the 5-3 power play.
The pens outplayed Boston for most of the third period.

I saw atleast one play when Moog pushed the net off the magnets to stop
the play. Pretty dirty play.

bruins fan

--------------------------
Sridhar H. Dasari
sd...@andrew.cmu.edu

The very purpose of existence is to reconcile the glowing opinion we
hold of ourselves with the appalling things that other people think of
us.
- Quentin Crisp

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.
- Chuck Daly

Life is a series of inspired follies. The difficulty is to find them to
do. Never lose a chance: it doesn't come every day.
- George Bernard Shaw

--------------------------

Kurt Kolasinski

May 4, 1991, 9:31:09 PM5/4/91
In article <124...@unix.cis.pitt.edu> jac...@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Joseph A Corella) writes:

> -Billy
>
>P.S. I thought it was ill advised of Moog to try to
>outmaneuver Lemieux behind his net.

As was I. As someone else already pointed out, Moog is so
effective because he plays a *very* smart positional game. He
doesn't have to look spectacular because he usually doesn't have
to move to make the save. I was also shocked to see Borque practically
insure a Penguin goal on the play by getting in Moog's way. It
seemed as though Borque was getting pretty tired by the end of the
game. I'd say that if the Pens play as well as they did in this game,
get a bit better performance out of Barrasso (nothing spectacular just
what he showed vs Wash.), they ought to win this series. Boston has
got to be feeling pretty lucky.

________________________________

Kurt Wolfgeng Kolasinski
Department of Chemistry | ko...@bogart.stanford.edu
Stanford University | ko...@lelanD.stanford.edu

Kurt Kolasinski

May 4, 1991, 9:51:19 PM5/4/91
In article <74...@brunix.UUCP> cs19...@cs.brown.edu (Andrew Sundelin) writes:
>In article <124...@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, jrm...@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Joseph R. Mcdonald) writes:
>|> Well, I guess there is no justice among the Hockey Gods.
>|>
>|> Bruins win in overtime.....The games 3 stars:
>|>
>|> 1. Dan Marouelli - Boston MVP
>
>As an admitted Boston fan, this will sound biased, but I thought this was the best reffed

We are all very impressed by the fact
that you work on a powerful workstation with a large
screen. But for the sake of us poor unfortunates,
would you please limit yourself to 80 columns. (How
else can I be sure of what I what to flame you about (-:)

>|> Sweeney pulls down Murphy......WHISTLE! .......Penalty, Pittsburgh, Murphy,
>|> Holding. Yea right.
>

>No, Sweeney tries to go around Murphy, Murphy clearly grabs Sweeney's stick and hauls him
>down. WHISTLE, penalty......Let's also not forget the OT penalty against the Bruins right
>before that which was quite similar.

Hardly similar! The one and only reason that Murphy got called
was due to the stupid evening up rule that seems to applied, especially
in tight games, by most referees. Similar plays all night long went
without a wistle. Borque's hold in the crease was much more blatant.
I'm not saying that you couldn't call Murphy's act a penalty, I'm just
saying that the call was inconsistent with what had been called (or not
called earlier in the game).
While were on the subject: Stick grabbing almost never gets
called. It should be, but it's not. Why not? Usually because the
reason someone is grabbing a stick is that he was being hooked or
slashed with that stick. Since the ref won't call the hook, how
can he call the interference penalty for stick grabbing.

>|> Gordie Roberts nudges Wesley with his glove hand.....WHISTLE.....Penalty,
>|> Pittsburgh, Roberts, High-stick. Yea right.
>

>This was a little tenuous, but where was the blade of his stick, pal?

Take another look at the tape. The blade of his stick was on
the ice.

>|> 2nd period....Phil Bourque puts the puck past Moog as Wesley knocks the
>|> net off the moorings. Obvious goal. Goal judge doesn't see it.
>|> Marouelli has his head up his ass......NO goal.
>|>

>It had nothing to do with the ref or the goal judge -- the net was off the moorings before

>the puck went in the net -- and it was entirely unintentional (unlike Moog's move against
>Montreal).

This rule was changed just before the start of the season. Too
many people were using the goal-off-the-mooring trick to stop goals. The
rule now states that intentional or unintentional dislodging of the cage
does not automatically discredit a goal. It is left to the discretion
of the referee to decide if the puck was already on its way into the net.
If the ref feels the play was initiated before the goal was dislodged,
which it clearly was in this instance, the goal is supposed to stand.

>Later,
> Andrew Sundelin
> cs19...@cs.brown.edu

Joseph R. Mcdonald

Andrew Sundelin

May 3, 1991, 11:28:48 PM5/3/91
In article <124...@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, jrm...@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Joseph R. Mcdonald) writes:
|> Well, I guess there is no justice among the Hockey Gods.
|>
|> Bruins win in overtime.....The games 3 stars:
|>
|> 1. Dan Marouelli - Boston MVP

As an admitted Boston fan, this will sound biased, but I thought this was the best reffed
game in the playoffs to date. By far the fewest no calls.

|> 2. Mario Lemieux - Great performance, though he couldn't handle Marouelli's
|> relentlousness

That's 'cause he's a whiner.

|> This is the f***ing playoffs!

BINGO!

|> Sweeney pulls down Murphy......WHISTLE! .......Penalty, Pittsburgh, Murphy,
|> Holding. Yea right.

No, Sweeney tries to go around Murphy, Murphy clearly grabs Sweeney's stick and hauls him

down. WHISTLE, penalty......Let's also not forget the OT penalty against the Bruins right
before that which was quite similar.

|> Gordie Roberts nudges Wesley with his glove hand.....WHISTLE.....Penalty,
|> Pittsburgh, Roberts, High-stick. Yea right.

This was a little tenuous, but where was the blade of his stick, pal?

|> 2nd period....Phil Bourque puts the puck past Moog as Wesley knocks the
|> net off the moorings. Obvious goal. Goal judge doesn't see it.
|> Marouelli has his head up his ass......NO goal.

It had nothing to do with the ref or the goal judge -- the net was off the moorings before

the puck went in the net -- and it was entirely unintentional (unlike Moog's move against
Montreal).

|> It was obvious tonight....even to Bruins fans (tho they won;t admit it).....

|> that the better team didn;t win.

I'll admit that the shots were heavily in Pittsburgh's favor, but not that they were the
better team. Any team can pepper a goalie (okay, they _were_ often good shots). But the
defense of the Penguins clearly sucks (okay, is not nearly as good as that of the Bruins
-- although I was wishing the Bruins defense had controlled the pace a little more).

|> I don't want instant replay in Hockey, just competent Refs who aren't
|> intimidated by the home crowd. They don't even have to be great Refs,
|> just HONEST.

NOT! Very competent ref and even handed. Although it was the only NHL game I can remember
seeing two 2 man advantages in.

|> BTW, Barrasso better wake up.

I'll say. Isn't he one of the top ten best paid players in hockey?

For those who didn't see the game. Boston won 5-4 in OT on a goal by Vladimir Ruzicka.

Later,
Andrew Sundelin
cs19...@cs.brown.edu

bryan.k.strouse

May 6, 1991, 12:07:17 PM5/6/91
In article <124...@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, jac...@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Joseph A Corella) writes:
> In article <74...@brunix.UUCP> cs19...@cs.brown.edu (Andrew Sundelin) writes:
> >In article <124...@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, jrm...@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Joseph R. Mcdonald) writes:
>
> >It had nothing to do with the ref or the goal judge -- the net was
> off the moorings before the puck went in the net
>
> Not to belabor the point, as I have learned to live with the
> circumstances (really...no really....damnit I MEAN it..), but
> the above statement is wrong - that puck was across the line
> before the disgorging of the net just as sure as a 1 BR apt in
> Boston costs $800.

Well, I can remember 4 DEVIL goals that were disallowed in the PENS-DEVILS
series, so I'd learn to live with the breaks.

Welcome to the NHL.

\|||||/
-SPIKE-

Ken Harford Network Operations Supervisor-East

May 6, 1991, 11:31:56 AM5/6/91
In article <124...@unix.cis.pitt.edu> jac...@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Joseph A Corella) writes:

> -Billy
>
>I don't like the fact that these playoffs are turning me into
>a real moron (my dad would tell me that's not possible)...

Deal with it!!!

By the way your dad is a very perceptive guy!!!!

The Turk!!!

"This Could ...
,-******-,
*' ## '*
*## ## ##*
* ##| \## *
* | | ) | *
*######| <######*
* | | ) | *
* ##| /## *
*## ## ##*
*, ## ,*
'-*******-' The Year!!"

James Cameron

May 6, 1991, 3:53:43 AM5/6/91

Joseph> In article <74...@brunix.UUCP> cs19...@cs.brown.edu (Andrew Sundelin) writes:
>In article <124...@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, jrm...@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Joseph R. Mcdonald) writes:

>|> 2nd period....Phil Bourque puts the puck past Moog as Wesley knocks the

>It had nothing to do with the ref or the goal judge -- the net was

Joseph> off the moorings before the puck went in the net

Joseph> Not to belabor the point, as I have learned to live with the
Joseph> circumstances (really...no really....damnit I MEAN it..), but
Joseph> the above statement is wrong - that puck was across the line
Joseph> before the disgorging of the net just as sure as a 1 BR apt in
Joseph> Boston costs $800.

Well, since your last phrase (since it appears those last 5
lines are all ONE sentence *8-) ) concerning the costs of living
in Boston is wrong, the previous phrase in that sentence(?)
is probably wrong as well. =8-P

But, to be honest, I did not see the game here. So, I can't
give my account of the shot, but it sounds like the correct
call was made.

Joseph> -Billy

jc

--
-- James Cameron (j...@raven.bu.edu)

Signal Processing and Interpretation Lab. Boston, Mass (617) 353-2879
"But to risk we must, for the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing. For
the man or woman who risks nothing, has nothing, does nothing, is nothing."
(Quote from the eulogy for the late Christa McAuliffe.)

tom wilson

May 6, 1991, 3:19:59 PM5/6/91
In article <124...@unix.cis.pitt.edu> jrm...@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Joseph R. Mcdonald) writes:
>It was obvious tonight....even to Bruins fans (tho they won;t admit it).....
>that the better team didn;t win.

That just goes to show you that the best team doesn't always win a game or for
that matter the Stanley Cup. I'll agree with you that the team that played
better in game 2 didn't win, but I won't say that the better team didn't win.
What do I base the second part of that comment on? Not a couple games, but 80+.
Anyone who knows anything about sampling (signal sampling or graphics) knows
that you get aliasing when you undersample (kind of like taking a poll on
Americans' views of hockey and asking 10 people at a football game). One game
doesn't always determine the better team, nor does a 7-game series. The North
Stars have played well, but are they the best team in Norris? I was born in
Minnesota and like the Stars for the most part, but I would not even say they
are the best team in the Norris (hardly Norris Division champs).

Luck or lack of it will always play a part in sports, particularly when you
have humans (refs) determining what is right and what is wrong. On that note,
all of you netters out there who SCREAM the ref sucks, have you ever ref`d a
team sport? It is amazing how many times you are looking at the play and
something happens somewhere else. This makes you blind, an idiot, and a fucking
asshole in the minds of those involved. Let's not mention when you're looking
at the play and you are screened from seeing something that is illegal. Now
you've got a whole new batch of nicknames to live with. I'm not saying the
refing has been good in most of the playoffs, but let's have a little
understanding (e.g. the disallowed goal in game 2. The ref apparently lost
sight of the puck. Of course the Penguin "refs" would have allowed play to
continue even if Moog did cover it).

I guess we can all agree on who played better in games 1 and 3.

Tom

Steve Goss

May 9, 1991, 1:12:39 PM5/9/91
Well, I don't want to get in on this too much, although I do feel the pens got
robbed in game 2....but we are now up to game 5 with the series tied at 2 games
apiece, and the pens with the momentum, so I will leave it alone... the only
thing I do wish to add, Bill, is the fact that you said there was a 'blatant'
penalty missed...when they slid barrasso a stick, well, if my memory serves me
correctly, it is NOT a penalty to carry a goalie stick on the ice, although it
is to carry any other stick.
steve

Peter Kester

May 10, 1991, 9:06:55 AM5/10/91
In article <91129.131...@psuvm.psu.edu> Steve Goss <SMG...@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:
[...]

>thing I do wish to add, Bill, is the fact that you said there was a 'blatant'
>penalty missed...when they slid barrasso a stick, well, if my memory serves me
>correctly, it is NOT a penalty to carry a goalie stick on the ice, although it
>is to carry any other stick.

But it *is* a penalty to *slide* a goalie a stick. If the player skates
the stick to the goalie and hands it to him, that's fine. The blatant
penalty that was missed was when they *slid* Barrasso a new stick.

Pete
--

+-------+
Peter J. Kester | \