Pens-4 Sabres-5

Lori Iannamico

Jan 24, 1992, 10:53:48 AM1/24/92
For the second straight game (NHL game, that is) the Pens have blown a
3 goal lead. But unlike the game in Detroit, where the Pens salvaged a
tie, the Pens lost in overtime 5-4.

A combination of defensive breakdowns and goaltending errors helped
Buffalo rally in the 3rd, when they scored 3 goals in a span of 5:20.

Wendell Young got the start. Tom Barrasso was scheduled to start, but
he had been battling the flu all day and at the last minute he was scratched.
Darren Puppa was in net for Buffalo. He had replaced Clint Malarchuk, who
according to a report on KDKA was taken to a local hospital suffering
from pain believed to be caused by a stomach ulcer. (Can any Buffalo fans
confirm or deny this?)

In a penalty-marred first (That period lasted a lifetime!), the Pens
scored first. Kevin Stevens, on a nice feed from Paul Coffey, scored
at 1:34. About one minute later the Sabres got it right back. Donald
Audette(Hawerchuk, Tanti)shot, and Wendell Young flopped onto his back
and swatted at the puck, and missed it. The Sabres got life out of that
goal, but some good goaltending by Young kept them off the board for
the remainder of the period.

The Pens scored 2 more times in the first. At 10:57 Bob Errey(Recchi,
Coffey) beat Puppa. Stevens (Mullen, Muphy) pumped in a power play goal
at 17:49.

There was no scoring in the second. In the third, however, things
began to unravel for the Pens. Most interesting thing that happened was
that Grant Jennings high-sticked a Sabre, and Mario Lemieux was called
for it. Lemieux was about 30 feet away from the play at the time, standing
by himself. Marouelli is just a fav of mine. :-)

At first, it seemed like the Pens had things in hand. Brad May was giving
a five-minute major after he butt-ended Joe Mullen in the face. Larry Murphy
(Lemieux, Mullen) was able to score at 4:54, which was about 2 to 2.5 minutes
into the major. But then, on a break away attempt by Pat LaFontaine, Paul
Coffey was called for hooking. Actually, it was Ulf Samuelsson doing the
hooking, Coffey was on the other side of LaFontaine. But that in effect killed
the rest of the major.

At 7:23, Kevin Stevens took the first of 2 stupid penalties that aided the
Sabre comeback. At 7:59, Ulf Samuelsson was called for holding, and the
Sabre scoring began. Pat LaFontaine(Bodger, Hawerchuk 8:17) scored into a
wide open net. The net was wide open because Wendell Young had come about
10 feet out of the net to cut down the angle. Even though Larry Murphy
was already there trying to defend Bodger. Meanwhile, LaFontaine is wide
open standing by the post to the right of the goal. So Bodger just
dished the pass of to LaFontaine. Score. That took care of Stevens penalty.

Now it was time to convert Ulf's penalty. The puck went behind Pittsburgh's
net. Much to the horror of everyone in the building, Young went behind the
net to play the puck. The horror was because there were more Sabres around
the net than Pens. Dale Hawerchuk(9:54) stripped Young of the puck, got back
in front of the net, and scored on Young in what seemed like all one motion.

Dale Andreychuk(LaFontaine, Wood 13:19), to use the words of Mike Lange,
beat Young like a rented mule.

The game went into overtime, and at 4:15, Audette scored on the only shot
taken by either team. It was a 35 footer that went right over Young's
glove. I don't know if he was partially screened by Samuelsson or
just clueless, but Young's attempt was feeble at best.

Shots: Pgh: 12-12-5-0, Buffalo: 20-13-16-1

Scratches: Tom Barrasso (flu), Phil Bourque (broken left ankle), Jim Paek
(surgery to repair tendon that was damaged when his finger on his left
hand was dislocated: out indefinitely), Jamie Leach, Peter Taglianetti

---------------------
Prior to the start of last night's game, the Penguins presented Paul Coffey
with a crystal carving to commemorate his record-breaking scoring achievements
this season. Everyone was saying that he was presented the carving last
night because he was going to be traded after the game, and the Pens wanted
him to have a going away present. :-)

Lori
Contact for the Penguins
ll...@cs.cmu.edu

George Ferguson

Jan 24, 1992, 1:05:27 PM1/24/92

In article <1992Jan24.1...@cs.cmu.edu> ll...@cs.cmu.edu (Lori Iannamico) writes:
>For the second straight game (NHL game, that is) the Pens have blown a
>3 goal lead. But unlike the game in Detroit, where the Pens salvaged a
>tie, the Pens lost in overtime 5-4.
>A combination of defensive breakdowns and goaltending errors helped
>Buffalo rally in the 3rd, when they scored 3 goals in a span of 5:20.

Count me among the Buffalo fans... *NOT*, but isn't it gracious of the
Pens (or just their fans?) to have helped the Sabres win? Between the
Sabres win due to pretty-boy Donny Audette and the Habs beating the
Bruins in Boston, this was a great night for hockey.

George
--
George Ferguson ARPA: ferg...@cs.rochester.edu
Dept. of Computer Science UUCP: rutgers!rochester!ferguson

Lori Iannamico

Jan 24, 1992, 1:53:32 PM1/24/92
In article <1992Jan24.1...@cs.rochester.edu> ferg...@cs.rochester.edu (George Ferguson) writes:

>In article <1992Jan24.1...@cs.cmu.edu> ll...@cs.cmu.edu (Lori Iannamico) writes:
>>For the second straight game (NHL game, that is) the Pens have blown a
>>3 goal lead. But unlike the game in Detroit, where the Pens salvaged a
>>tie, the Pens lost in overtime 5-4.
>>A combination of defensive breakdowns and goaltending errors helped
>>Buffalo rally in the 3rd, when they scored 3 goals in a span of 5:20.
>
>Count me among the Buffalo fans... *NOT*, but isn't it gracious of the
>Pens (or just their fans?) to have helped the Sabres win? Between the
>Sabres win due to pretty-boy Donny Audette and the Habs beating the
>Bruins in Boston, this was a great night for hockey.

Amazing how a NON-Sabre fan to offense to this. None of the Sabre
fans that wrote to me seem to have a problem with this.

Up to that point, Buffalo had out shot Pgh. 33 to 24, and had one point
to show for it. So yes, a defensive breakdown and goaltending errors
DID help the Sabres get back into the game. I didn't say that the
Sabres won because of this. But it did allow them to rally.

If you read past my opening paragraphs, I explained how the Sabres
got back into the game.

Perhaps I should have used the word "enabled", or "allowed" instead
of helped. But I assumed (obviously incorrectly) that people would
understand what I was trying to say.

By the way, did you actually see any of the game?

Lori

George Ferguson

Jan 26, 1992, 11:57:34 AM1/26/92

In article <1992Jan24.1...@cs.cmu.edu> ll...@cs.cmu.edu (Lori Iannamico) writes:

>By the way, did you actually see any of the game?
Of course not. I'm in Rochester, remember? We only get Islanders and
Devils games. You Pens fans should try to relax.

George
ps. I know I'm relaxed. I'm almost as relaxed as the Habs defencemen
were yesterday afternoon against the Sabres (a game we *di* get to
see). Lafontaine played about 55 minutes and cooked the Habs but
good.

Lou Hoebel

Jan 27, 1992, 12:07:53 PM1/27/92
In article <1992Jan24.1...@cs.rochester.edu> ferg...@cs.rochester.edu (George Ferguson) writes:

>Count me among the Buffalo fans... *NOT*, but isn't it gracious of the
>Pens (or just their fans?) to have helped the Sabres win? Between the
>Sabres win due to pretty-boy Donny Audette and the Habs beating the
>Bruins in Boston, this was a great night for hockey.
>
>George
Another great week-end in the Adams! Sabres beat the Habs, Bruins
tie with the Whalers and the Nordeeks...well who cares.
So now the Buffalos and the Bostons will be playing for home ice
advantage in their almost inevitable playoff confrontation.

The LaLa line, now with Toni Tanti playing right wing, still is flying.
Patty got *FIVE* goals this week-end vs the Habs and the No-Jets.

Lets go Buffalo...count me as a Sabres fan yes.

And congratulations to all those on the Canadian National Womens Team.
Good luck in Finland....and why isn't it an Olympic event!!!!!!! hmmmm

later!

--
->Louis Hoebel
Computer Science Department hoe...@cs.rochester.edu