OT: Trump's "big dumb map"

Alan Baker

May 11, 2017, 7:17:52 PM5/11/17
'But the president’s big dumb map, framed proof that he’s most popular
where people are fewest and farthest between, still ought to be a bit
heartening to the rest of us. It shows us that Trump and his cronies
continue to be highly sensitive to any suggestion that Trump is not a
legitimate president, which gives his opponents all the more reason to
remind them.'

<http://fusion.kinja.com/trump-to-hang-map-of-his-national-popular-vote-loss-in-1795127407>

Trump's map:

<https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c0/2016nationwidecountymapshadedbyvoteshare.svg/1280px-2016nationwidecountymapshadedbyvoteshare.svg.png>

Looks impressive, but...

...adjust the size of each county to be proportional to its population:

<http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/582c8095e02ba730208b4613-1200/counties-themselves-arent-uniformly-blue-or-red-looking-at-a-color-gradient-using-varying-shades-of-purple-we-can-see-that-most-counties-had-a-tight-split-between-republican-and-democratic-voters-although-a-few-islands-of-deep-red-and-blue-still-remain.jpg>

As BusinessInsider (that well-known bastion of communism!) says: