This is the best golf tip I can possibly give you

curtj...@hotmail.com

Oct 7, 2014, 8:26:45 PM10/7/14
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/251637856880-0-1/s-l140.jpg

Just take the club back, and then have it go forward, and make it end up like the man in the photo.

golfbum18

Oct 8, 2014, 3:42:50 PM10/8/14
On Tuesday, October 7, 2014 8:26:45 PM UTC-4, curtj...@hotmail.com wrote:
> http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/251637856880-0-1/s-l140.jpg
>

> Just take the club back, and then have it go forward, and make it end up like the man in the photo.

Nice to see a golf post. Unfortunately, your tip will go unnoticed since it's about golf. This wasteland is nothing more than a cesspool, bitch and gripe site, mostly about politics, run by a handful of nimrods that kiss up to each other and with little attention to golf. A few might chime in but the majority won't, can't, or really don't know enough about the game to even know a good tip when they see one. The only "redeeming" factor is knowing these guys are far away and usually don't have much interaction with "real people." It's better that they stay inside behind a keyboard.

Loudon Briggs

Oct 8, 2014, 4:34:09 PM10/8/14
golfbum18 <golf...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, October 7, 2014 8:26:45 PM UTC-4, curtj...@hotmail.com wrote:
>> http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/251637856880-0-1/s-l140.jpg
>>

>> Just take the club back, and then have it go forward, and make it end up like the man in the photo.
>
>Nice to see a golf post. Unfortunately, your tip will go unnoticed since it's about golf. This wasteland is nothing more than a cesspool, bitch and gripe site, mostly about politics, run by a handful of nimrods that kiss up to each other and with little attention to golf. CLIP

Well put... I look in here about once a week, and am totally
disappointed when I recall what this Group used to be like... really
sad!
--

Loudon R. Briggs lar...@bbz.net Phoenix, AZ

"How Can You Not Like A Game Where It's Okay To
Get Teed Off, Tote A Six-Iron, Shoot Birdies,
and If You're Under Par It's A Great Day!"

(from "Frank & Ernest" by Bob Thaves -- used with permission)

curtj...@hotmail.com

Oct 9, 2014, 12:10:59 PM10/9/14
I have found personally that the 'getting there' to be important in making my game consistent. It is not easy. Many factors have to go into finishing like that, on balance.

Here's an enlarged pic.

http://www.hyeeauctions.com/A18/NBSPORT/7.jpg

You get over here a lot more than I do...:). Maybe a good 'revolt' will get the topic threads going back the way they were. (Holding my breath)!

CJ

curtj...@hotmail.com

Oct 9, 2014, 12:16:22 PM10/9/14
I have my political sites I go to, just to get people weighing in on specific issues I'm interested in. I wouldn't spend one second looking here. BTW, Sam here is at a tournament in St. Paul in 1943, and is an original photo, which I just obtained. CJ

BTW, the photo is from 1943 with Sam at the St.

Alan Baker

Oct 9, 2014, 12:45:15 PM10/9/14
I did once see Richard Zokol do an after tournament clinic for the fans
and he was able to make a big difference in the swing of a typical
hacker in only a few minutes by simply having that person hold a
perfect top position for a good long time (like a minute), then swing
through to a perfect finish position and hold that for a minute...

...and then make a real swing with just the thought of going smoothly
from one to the other.

It was pretty cool.

curtj...@hotmail.com

Oct 9, 2014, 1:00:54 PM10/9/14
I find myself thinking of images at any and unusual times. It can be years later a tip pops in my head. One was a tip as I was a frequent range hitter and this guy comes out of the blue and sticks a golf glove in my right armpit. I tried it a few times and well it went into the 'ridiculous file' and recently one of my swing thoughts had my right armpit very tight on the backswing. Enter the memory of a great local golfer at the time, Bob E. Smith who played on the tour, and finding out it was him who told me that tip as a youngster. Another was this bar I went into. After a few minutes I was talking to a 4 time LPGA winner, Carole Jo Skala. We played golf a few times and well I was always a few strokes behind because she was so accurate even while being elderly. She was a crack shot dart player (I have never seen better) and one night she told me a golf tip. It was the downswing follow-thru where the hands cross each other at the end, well past the body. Didn't think a huge lot of that, until recently. It makes sense now. Another was a tip from a teacher who really wasn't a great golfer. He said the best students and players always had the hands and shaft go low after it passes the body. Didn't make much sense then, but now it does. All these tips got me in some wacky way closer to the 'Sam Swing.'

golfbum18

Oct 9, 2014, 3:57:50 PM10/9/14
I find some tips, lots of them out there, can be very helpful. My rule of thumb is that first, I don't listen to any tips on that part or parts of my game that are going well. Point is, not all parts are working all the time. If there's a tip on driving and I'm driving fine, I ignore it. Don't want to think about weight shift, hips coming through, left foot planted etc. If the putter needs some help, I soak up all the tips I can hear.....some I will discard and a few I might try. Key word....few. This is a game where you can get caught up in some many thoughts and tips that you freeze up. Over the period of time, all aspects of the game will need some help but for the ones working now, don't think about them....you're doing fine. Oh it could be made better but I think of David Duval, Payne and others that tried to tweak a good thing and it was years before it got back to being as good as it once was.
TGC has some good experts that can give some great tips, practice routines, tweaks etc. You Tube has many of these. If you're old school, there are lots of Bobby Jones videos out there that take the game to the basics and Bobby would be hard to beat for the basics. He did lift his left foot probabaly more than modern day players but the majority of what he said is still great stuff. Love to see him on today's courses with today's gear and balls.

golfbum18

Oct 9, 2014, 4:02:53 PM10/9/14
On Wednesday, October 8, 2014 4:34:09 PM UTC-4, Loudon Briggs wrote:
I agree with "sad." I think that best describes it. I got caught up in the political arguments for some time.. (there is no debate just a lot of skunks pissing at each other no matter which side of the argument you're on) but found it a very boring exercise. Most of the "arguers" here are so tunnel-visioned that they fail to see when they have been beaten down and are philosophically proven inaccurate. We can all fall into this trap and I refuse to be sucked into the black hole. It's like a bunch of kids on the playground and the "na nan na naaaa na." or "I know you are but what am I?" I'll stick to the golf posts and hopefully, there will be enough guys out there to make it worthwhile to still check here a few times each week.

curtj...@hotmail.com

Oct 10, 2014, 10:48:11 AM10/10/14
On Thursday, October 9, 2014 3:57:50 PM UTC-4, golfbum18 wrote:
> I find some tips, lots of them out there, can be very helpful. My rule of thumb is that first, I don't listen to any tips on that part or parts of my game that are going well. Point is, not all parts are working all the time. If there's a tip on driving and I'm driving fine, I ignore it. Don't want to think about weight shift, hips coming through, left foot planted etc. If the putter needs some help, I soak up all the tips I can hear.....some I will discard and a few I might try. Key word....few. This is a game where you can get caught up in some many thoughts and tips that you freeze up. Over the period of time, all aspects of the game will need some help but for the ones working now, don't think about them....you're doing fine. Oh it could be made better but I think of David Duval, Payne and others that tried to tweak a good thing and it was years before it got back to being as good as it once was.
>
> TGC has some good experts that can give some great tips, practice routines, tweaks etc. You Tube has many of these. If you're old school, there are lots of Bobby Jones videos out there that take the game to the basics and Bobby would be hard to beat for the basics. He did lift his left foot probabaly more than modern day players but the majority of what he said is still great stuff. Love to see him on today's courses with today's gear and balls.

I generally do everything on my own. Not completely as I do watch TV and swings and like I reported take occasional tips. I as you do, hate negativity and accent the positive. I usually work on my swing an hour a day down at the schoolyard with foam golf balls. If I have 10 out of my 60 balls left, and hit a ball in those 10 that make my session worth it, I call it a keeper and end the session. Right now my irons and hybrid is working very well and my balance is great on those clubs. The 3 wood needs atweaking. Hopefully I'll get it before the snows come.

Alan Baker

Oct 10, 2014, 11:34:05 AM10/10/14
I tried taking lessons a couple of times, but I discovered that at
least for the instructors I picked there wasn't much beyond them trying
to fit me into the mold they'd been taught, and we just didn't connect
very well.

So I started working on my own game. I probably practiced 6-10 hours a
week, and after a couple of years, I was down to a 9.4 (IIRC).

Nashton

Oct 10, 2014, 2:35:50 PM10/10/14
On 2014-10-09 2:00 PM, curtj...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, October 9, 2014 12:45:15 PM UTC-4, Alan Baker wrote:

>> It was pretty cool.
>
> I find myself thinking of images at any and unusual times.

And the voices?

curtj...@hotmail.com

Oct 11, 2014, 10:28:34 AM10/11/14
I won't comment on that because this room is so G-rated!..:)

I will say a friend in the past told me and he was close to a scratch golfer, said, we all have 5 golf swings. We have the swing on the course. The swing on the Range. The swing in our living room. And we have the practice swing at our set up, and lastly the swing we have in the middle of the night in our dreams. I recommend 'listening' to the last one. Those might be categorized as epiphanys, and one should take an epiphany immediately to the set up position as soon as possible!

curtj...@hotmail.com

Oct 11, 2014, 10:34:45 AM10/11/14
I found myself, that golf instructors tended to 'go slow' and 'milk it' and well finding my own swing, as wrong as it was/is and can be, was much more fun. I don't play much and haven't in years, but I was hitting next to the high school golf team the other day. My shots went straight and far and had a good sound and I generally had a still, poised position at the finish. Their's didn't so much and I'm sure they had their instructors. I like analyzing swings from the tours on TV and compare golf instruction on the tips on TGC, to what I think is 'the better way'. I tend to have a few differences.

David Laville

Oct 13, 2014, 6:29:41 PM10/13/14
On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 08:34:05 -0700, Alan Baker <alang...@telus.net>
wrote:

>I tried taking lessons a couple of times, but I discovered that at
>least for the instructors I picked there wasn't much beyond them trying
>to fit me into the mold they'd been taught, and we just didn't connect
>very well.

More like you didn't like them pointing out your flaws. I've analyzed
your swing from your YouTube vids and your ego couldn't handle me
pointing out your obvious swing flaws.

>So I started working on my own game.

Away from all swing criticism and in a world where Alan Baker is doing
everything correctly.

Alan Baker

Oct 13, 2014, 6:47:05 PM10/13/14
On 2014-10-13 22:29:41 +0000, David Laville said:

> On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 08:34:05 -0700, Alan Baker <alang...@telus.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I tried taking lessons a couple of times, but I discovered that at
>> least for the instructors I picked there wasn't much beyond them trying
>> to fit me into the mold they'd been taught, and we just didn't connect
>> very well.
>
> More like you didn't like them pointing out your flaws. I've analyzed
> your swing from your YouTube vids and your ego couldn't handle me
> pointing out your obvious swing flaws.

LOL

>> So I started working on my own game.
>
> Away from all swing criticism and in a world where Alan Baker is doing
> everything correctly.

"everything correctly"? Hardly.

Well enough that I got regular complements from some pretty good
golfers; some even that you know?

Yup.

:-)

curtj...@hotmail.com

Oct 15, 2014, 12:05:54 AM10/15/14
Anyone seen George loitering around here?..:)

Alan Baker

Oct 15, 2014, 1:52:17 AM10/15/14
I honestly haven't any idea what you're talking about...

curtj...@hotmail.com

Oct 15, 2014, 8:58:11 AM10/15/14
Perhaps you weren't around when the great swing debates were swung around rather loosely in the form of disortations of George Hibbard of Perfect Impact and David Laville in the swing outfit he represented. Many might think of the word diatribes, more fitting...:) (The political debates here pale in comparison!)

Alan Baker

Oct 15, 2014, 11:04:19 AM10/15/14
Oh!

I vaguely recall it now.

:-)

David Laville

Oct 15, 2014, 6:05:04 PM10/15/14
On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:47:05 -0700, Alan Baker <alang...@telus.net>
wrote:

>> Away from all swing criticism and in a world where Alan Baker is doing
>> everything correctly.
>
>"everything correctly"? Hardly.
>
>Well enough that I got regular complements from some pretty good
>golfers; some even that you know?

Thanks for proving what I said.

But of course you're too stupid to see how you proved me right else
you wouldn't have posted what you did.

Alan Baker

Oct 15, 2014, 9:25:44 PM10/15/14
On 2014-10-15 22:05:07 +0000, David Laville said:

> On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:47:05 -0700, Alan Baker <alang...@telus.net>
> wrote:
>
>>> Away from all swing criticism and in a world where Alan Baker is doing
>>> everything correctly.
>>
>> "everything correctly"? Hardly.
>>
>> Well enough that I got regular complements from some pretty good
>> golfers; some even that you know?
>
> Thanks for proving what I said.

LOL

> But of course you're too stupid to see how you proved me right else
> you wouldn't have posted what you did.

LOL

curtj...@hotmail.com

Oct 16, 2014, 6:44:33 PM10/16/14
They always say, in the first stages of Alzheimer's, that discretion is the better part of valor. I think Stan Laurel said that, but I can't quite depend on my memory for that one!

golfbum18

Oct 16, 2014, 7:58:41 PM10/16/14

> > I vaguely recall it now.
>

> > :-)
>

> They always say, in the first stages of Alzheimer's, that discretion is the better part of valor. I think Stan Laurel said that, but I can't quite depend

I am always amazed at how defensive some get when you question anything about their swing. While some say it's not rocket science, and it may not be, it is physics and math with a lot of trig thrown in. Fortunately, we don't have to calculate all those angles every time we swing, the swing just happens.
Finding fault with baker on anything will lead to his getting his panties in a wad and the followup is ripe with such whinings and grumblings that the original statement gets lost. In his defense, if that's him on the you tube thingies (which I find odd that someone who is defensive would post things like this for all to see in a medium that is in no way short of criticisms) his swing doesn't look too bad. Bottom line is not so much what the swing looks like, does or doesn't do, but does it score? I'm guessing baker is somewhat successful with what he does but instead of self satisfaction he might feel, he would like all those who see him to pass along a whole lot of "attaboys." Those are in short supply in the internet and shouldn't be much a a goal.
We get so wrapped up in getting the club on plane, this and that and we end up forgetting that getting the ball in the hole with the least number of strokes is the end game. Bobby Jones was considered a master but many would say he couldn't hit a ball by lifting that foot so high. Hagen chased the ball down the line more than he chased skirts. Gary Player could be criticized as over-swinging to the point that he's walking to the ball instead of finishing high and "pretty." Jim Furyk lets his club spin around but leads all time money winners. (have to admit that just maybe Jim's odd swing fails him sometimes on Sunday...aka not winning when you led Sat. night oh so many times) Jack's elbow flew, Arnie never finished a swing, and Suzann Pettersen lifts the club too much straight up and down. All seem to get the thing back square and manage to score or have scored rather well and low.
I've never taken a formal lesson and have a handicap less than 7....good enough for me. I've been asked by players looking for advice (I don't give it...golf gods and karma will shit on you the very next shot if you do) about weight shifting and how to do it, how to get through the ball....all those things. I DON'T WANT TO THINK ABOUT IT! I have my swing, it works for me, I can hit enough fairways, enough GIRs and enough one-putts to keep my handicap where it is. With all the swing thoughts aside, a great swing is great but being defensive about what someone has to say about yours is a little silly. If it works, don't fix it. Payne, David D, and tiger to mention a few have diddled around and spent more time diddling than they ever thought. It's the little plunk sound of the ball hitting the bottom of the hole in par or better that makes the game worthwhile and fun. If someone has a better swing, it's not a surprise because in this world, there are always people far better and far worse than you or me in anything we try. We need to get beyond that. IMHO of course

Alan Baker

Oct 17, 2014, 2:29:31 AM10/17/14
On 2014-10-16 23:58:41 +0000, golfbum18 said:

>>> I vaguely recall it now.
>>

>>> :-)
>>

>> They always say, in the first stages of Alzheimer's, that discretion is
>> the better part of valor. I think Stan Laurel said that, but I can't
>> quite depend
> I am always amazed at how defensive some get when you question anything
> about their swing. While some say it's not rocket science, and it may
> not be, it is physics and math with a lot of trig thrown in.
> Fortunately, we don't have to calculate all those angles every time we
> swing, the swing just happens.Finding fault with baker on anything will
> lead to his getting his panties in a wad and the followup is ripe with
> such whinings and grumblings that the original statement gets lost. In
> his defense, if that's him on the you tube thingies (which I find odd
> that someone who is defensive would post things like this for all to
> see in a medium that is in no way short of criticisms) his swing
> doesn't look too bad. Bottom line is not so much what the swing looks
> like, does or doesn't do, but does it score? I'm guessing baker is
> somewhat successful with what he does but instead of self satisfaction
> he might feel, he would like all those who see him to pass along a
> whole lot of "attaboys." Those are in short supply in the internet and
> shouldn't be much a a goal.

LOL

I'm not the least bit concerned with "attaboys".

I post my swings for those who are interested (and to poke a little fun
at a few).

The simple truth is that when I was playing golf regularly a couple of
years ago, I was a legitimate single digit handicap (9.4 was my best
index, IIRC).
I found that once I really felt what good contact was really
like--something I figured out while trying the "stack and tilt" thing,
everything started to come a lot easier.

golfbum18

Oct 17, 2014, 10:57:38 AM10/17/14
Come on alan, everybody likes the attaboys, even the girls but that isn't the point. As I said, your swing doesn't look that bad so when someone finds fault, and they will, go with it, who cares?
I'm lucky enough to be able to follow summer down the coast and can play year-round. I can't say it helps my game that much more from when I was bound to play only part of the year but I do find I don't have that nasty feeling that when it gets cold, the game's over.
A <10 handicap isn't bad and anything in that area is fine so you're making whatever swing you make and doing some scoring. Criticisms are fine if they're meant to be constructive, otherwise, they are just that...criticisms. Johnny Miller is critical of either most swings and/or most shots and he can't play well any longer. He talks about players today not having the discipline it needs to be good for an extended period and forgets that he was on top of his game for a short time in comparison to the Jacks, Garys, Arnies, and Lees of the day. The fact that he gained about 30 pounds while he was on tour and completely changed his swing to be something that didn't hold up any longer proves that he knows what discipline is all about....he just didn't have any more than those he criticizes.

Alan Baker

Oct 17, 2014, 1:04:03 PM10/17/14
Well... ...I don't MIND them. ;-)

> I'm lucky enough to be able to follow summer down the coast and can
> play year-round. I can't say it helps my game that much more from when
> I was bound to play only part of the year but I do find I don't have
> that nasty feeling that when it gets cold, the game's over.A <10
> handicap isn't bad and anything in that area is fine so you're making
> whatever swing you make and doing some scoring. Criticisms are fine if
> they're meant to be constructive, otherwise, they are just
> that...criticisms. Johnny Miller is critical of either most swings
> and/or most shots and he can't play well any longer. He talks about
> players today not having the discipline it needs to be good for an
> extended period and forgets that he was on top of his game for a short
> time in comparison to the Jacks, Garys, Arnies, and Lees of the day.
> The fact that he gained about 30 pounds while he was on tour and
> completely changed his swing to be something that didn't hold up any
> longer proves that he knows what discipline is all about....he just
> didn't have any more than those he criticizes.

Yeah... ...I think I'd still be playing more if it weren't for the fact
that I'm using up most of my play money on road racing; that, and I've
now been diagnosed with a back condition (which I can't spell or even
pronounce) which can be aggravated quite badly by golf.

curtj...@hotmail.com

Oct 18, 2014, 7:04:42 PM10/18/14
My swing changes almost daily. I keep the basics pretty much intact but all these ancillary thoughts and swing points between them can change at the drop of a hat. I bet most pro's have the same dilemma as they are always tweaking and jumping off to the range or calling their swing coaches. My Sam Swing finish a a week or so on the range went by the wayside the next week. The fun thing about golf, every swing is worth a little analyzing. I concluded the difference was between the good and the bad was the good session I had was using a 24 deg. hybrid (range was shortened that day) and subsequently I hit my 3 wood at the schoolyard where my SS finishes went and came back depending on what transpired each day. It's just a harder club to corral and just expect that. I still contend that the SS finish produces the best results for me but not on every swing. Today was a good day after a not so great one. I didn't expect much and just tried 'seeing' the swing plane all the way back and through and got on a few jags and pretty soon, the SS finish came into view all on it's own. I once practiced at a range where a European pro who had a career was the swing instructor. I asked him about his former swing vs. his present swing and what he does during his practices (since he hits between students most everyday). He said if he knew now instead of what he knew then, he would have been a Ryder Cupper even with his bad putting, and that he tries different minor tweakings on his swing all the time, but keeps the big basics intact. I didn't know what to think about that then, but now think that's a good and wise thing.

Loudon Briggs

Oct 18, 2014, 10:57:51 PM10/18/14
curtj...@hotmail.com wrote:

> [...]
back
>and through and got on a few jags and pretty soon, the SS finish came into view all on it's own. I once practiced at a range where a European pro who had a career was the swing instructor. I asked him about his former swing vs. his present swing and what he does during his practices (since he hits between students most everyday). He said if he knew now instead of what he knew then, he would have been a Ryder Cupper even with his bad putting, and that he tries different minor tweakings on his swing all the time, but keeps the big basics intact. I didn't know what to think about that then, but now think that's a good and wise thing.
****************************

Thank you! That makes up for all those 'golf posts' we were looking
for. :)
Message has been deleted

golfbum18

Oct 19, 2014, 9:45:09 AM10/19/14

> My swing changes almost daily. I keep the basics pretty much intact but all these ancillary thoughts and swing points between them can change at the drop of a hat. I bet most pro's have the same dilemma as they are always tweaking and jumping off to the range or calling their swing coaches. My Sam Swing finish a a week or so on the range went by the wayside the next week. The fun thing about golf, every swing is worth a little analyzing. I concluded the difference was between the good and the bad was the good session I had was using a 24 deg. hybrid (range was shortened that day) and subsequently I hit my 3 wood at the schoolyard where my SS finishes went and came back depending on what transpired each day. It's just a harder club to corral and just expect that. I still contend that the SS finish produces the best results for me but not on every swing. Today was a good day after a not so great one. I didn't expect much and just tried 'seeing' the swing plane all the way back and through and got on a few jags and pretty soon, the SS finish came into view all on it's own. I once practiced at a range where a European pro who had a career was the swing instructor. I asked him about his former swing vs. his present swing and what he does during his practices (since he hits between students most everyday). He said if he knew now instead of what he knew then, he would have been a Ryder Cupper even with his bad putting, and that he tries different minor tweakings on his swing all the time, but keeps the big basics intact. I didn't know what to think about that then, but now think that's a good and wise thing.

I am absolutely convinced the swing changes often...maybe even daily as you suggest. A fraction of an inch further inside or outside, a shoulder that doesn't turn as much today as before etc. The pros deal with it too but thanks to their buckets of balls each day, swing coaches, fitness coaches, and all those others watching them, can adjust. We're stuck out here in hackerland and don't have those perks so we chalk it up to a good day or bad day. A buddy of mine decided one summer to play every day, no matter what. He began on Memorial Day and played every day through Labor Day. His worst scoring summer ever. Why? Little things would creep into his swing and he wouldn't notice. Since he was playing again the next day, his body didn't have time to "forget" the little bad habit creeping in and it became worse and worse. On approach shots, his "little" push to the right might miss his flag by a few yards and suddenly, it was missing the green and then in the trap and even worse. He played so badly some days that he could miss being a little off and in the trap and instead was a long way off and beyond the trap which actually was more playable sometimes and kept his scores from being worse. It took him almost until the next summer to repair the damage. Guess this is why we, and any golfer for that matter, doesn't really know who will show up on the 1st tee.

curtj...@hotmail.com

Oct 19, 2014, 9:04:29 PM10/19/14
On Sunday, October 19, 2014 9:45:09 AM UTC-4, golfbum18 wrote:
> [...]
>

> I am absolutely convinced the swing changes often...maybe even daily as you suggest. A fraction of an inch further inside or outside, a shoulder that doesn't turn as much today as before etc. The pros deal with it too but thanks to their buckets of balls each day, swing coaches, fitness coaches, and all those others watching them, can adjust. We're stuck out here in hackerland and don't have those perks so we chalk it up to a good day or bad day. A buddy of mine decided one summer to play every day, no matter what. He began on Memorial Day and played every day through Labor Day. His worst scoring summer ever. Why? Little things would creep into his swing and he wouldn't notice. Since he was playing again the next day, his body didn't have time to "forget" the little bad habit creeping in and it became worse and worse. On approach shots, his "little" push to the right might miss his flag by a few yards and suddenly, it was missing the green and then in the trap and even worse. He played so badly some days that he could miss being a little off and in the trap and instead was a long way off and beyond the trap which actually was more playable sometimes and kept his scores from being worse. It took him almost until the next summer to repair the damage. Guess this is why we, and any golfer for that matter, doesn't really know who will show up on the 1st tee.

I used to play everyday when I was young without much range. Good enough to make the HS team as an alternate and basically a bogey golfer. I never really improved after that, but now that I just hit balls, I analyze all my swings and have made many strides over just playing. I am sure I have over 1,000 swing thoughts and even words I apply to them that golfdom hasn't even heard of...lol. I can draw on a swing thought I had years ago to go with with what I am trying for the day. Not often, but it happens. I truly believe all swings especially as I watch them on TV are different as in fingerprints. I try to analyze why they might be good or bad and where the ball is going just after impact and am usually correct on where it will end up. Last night I watched the LPGA final 18 of a tournament. The first golfer on screen was a 20 year old unknown and the swings seemed exceptionally good and was right on to what I was working on for the day. As I watched the other golfers, they didn't have that good swing like I gave this girl. The 3 golfers who made the playoff had the best swings, one being the original 20 yr. old. That was a huge reinforcement for me and can't wait for the next session in 'the field of dreams.'
Message has been deleted

golfbum18

Oct 20, 2014, 8:57:52 AM10/20/14
I have often said, when asked, to people "just learning" or whatever that might mean ;-) since we all are learning at various stages... "watch the gals play." The PGA players swing way too fast for most of us to comprehend and when we might try, lose control. The Seniors have worked, reworked, and reworked again their swings so many times for age and injury that they're hard to get a handle on. But the gals, they seem to do it right. A lot of the Asian players have that long, verrryyyyyy sss llll oooo wwww swing that works for them but not sure about everyone. They also have a lot of players that pause at the top...great if you can get the "pause" down pat. Freddie did it, a few others but it's hard to get that timing down. My brother in law took me out first to golf many years ago and said, "don't overswing." I try to remember tempo because that might be the best thing going. The Medicus might be the best tool out there. Not to say "swing easy" because there is that fine line between a slow tempo but good clubhead speed. The gals are pretty good. And don't forget, they are still getting that drive out there 240, 250 plus without the size and muscle mass the men have

curtj...@hotmail.com

Oct 20, 2014, 9:08:53 AM10/20/14
LB - what's so good about golf is there are a trillion molecules and a billion swing path planes when you decide to move yourself. The golf swing is like Rubik's cube. Each square is a swing thought, movement, or a body part. Each side is comprised of 81 squares and there are six sides in a cube. This can be converted to the possibilities in a golf swing. In reality the golf swing needs more than than the 9 in a row squares of a Rubik's cube. It probably needs about 20. So when you start 'assemblyin' you have a lot to think about. More air thoughts than Wilbur or Orville Wright ever had. So when you establish yourself in front of a golf ball, you have a lot of work ahead of you if you are talking about distance and target. This can translate into Carl Sagan-like possibilities when you are blogging here. BTW, I have never got all the colors together on one side of a Rubik's cube...:)

curtj...@hotmail.com

Oct 20, 2014, 9:22:48 AM10/20/14
GB - A lot of food for thought there. I agree the LPGAers are easier on the eyes even with their golf swings. And Freddie at the top is something that all might think about. In fact, when my swing goes south, the first thing I do to troubleshoot is to slow the takeaway and transition to the ball. A huge portion of the time, that's the main problem. When one takes the club back too fast, it can be a death move because there has to be a total change of direction and unless you can defy the laws of motion and physics you are going to make your equation go out of whack. And yes you can go too slow. I won't get into the motion laws on that, but trust me. The two girls I watched that were Asians on the swings I liked were not you typical 'wide Asians'. I don't care for a wide takeaway as the arms and wrists become 'one' and I like them 'two'. I like 'seeing' the relationship between the two throughout the swing and it helps define my swing. And that's not just an Asian thing, that's a TGC thing, and a a teaching pro thing as well. I like the swinging in a phone booth swing. On the teaching aids, I'm not sure. I'm don't know the Medicus break down points...but hey Mark O'Meara is getting into the HoF. It can't hurt. The Whippie or however one spells it, always intrigued me, and the basic idea I believe is to keep one in touch with the shaft vs. the clubhead throughout the swing which to me is a good idea, but the shaft on that is too bendy, so I'm not going to shell out $100 bucks to find out if it is or not.

Horva...@net.net

Oct 20, 2014, 10:10:51 AM10/20/14
On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 06:08:53 -0700 (PDT), curtj...@hotmail.com
wrote this crap:

> BTW, I have never got all the colors together on one side of a Rubik's cube...:)

I'll bet you I can solve a Rubik's cube while blindfolded.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe

golfbum18

Oct 20, 2014, 4:44:08 PM10/20/14
You are right...the LPGA is getting a lot of great looking golfers...talking about their techniques of course. I saw the phone booth tip some time ago....it will probably become irrelevant soon since folks will ask "what is a phone booth." I remember a "Golf Digest" tip on picturing you are in a barrel swinging. That one had some merit and since booze is still manufactured in barrels, it should last.
I got a new pair of prescript. sunglasses a few weeks ago and they were so good, clairty etc, that I was distracted by the blades of grass around the ball rather than the little ball itself. Took me some time. I also have flattened my swing out a little with the woods which is advised but you have to be careful you don't flatten the iron shots to match or you will end up with a real bad. "S" and I won't even finish the entire world. You will tend to come into the ball too shallow, hit it more toward the hosel and you will "S"
Swing tools....I still am reminded about one of the best clips in golf moviedom when Tin Cup is plagued by the "S" and he has on all the junk trying to get his swing back. I loved the Medicus. I used it, it helped and I sold it to a guy who I think broke it when he couldn't get it to stop the break.
TGC has some really good experts for tips. Martin Hall is great as is Michael Breed. Take what you need and let the other ones slide. Good luck with your hundred buck investment.

curtj...@hotmail.com

Oct 21, 2014, 9:02:32 AM10/21/14
I know you could, I just know it. I know you can teach me how to do it. I know you can. I don't think you can get me to the Slammin' Sammy Snead finish though.

curtj...@hotmail.com

Oct 21, 2014, 9:16:59 AM10/21/14
I don't do the phone booth for getting the swing as circular and short as possible. One can do a quick wrist cock and get those type of results for that. It has to be in conjunction with planes and the moving parts. I just don't see how any leverage can be attained by taking the arms back in unison for a long time. I don't see any leverage either for a one plane swing. It might be on plane but you will have a severe power outage IMO. Trouble with TGC channel for example. Michael Breed comes on and says to start the downswing as the backswing is finishing. Later on, Corey Pavin is giving lessons and saying emphatically not to do that as it causes so many problems and to get everything back there and let it go at the same time. Martin Hall will say, this is a good tip, by putting something in the back of your back foot during the swing. The object is to see how far the foot moves forward after the swing finish. He says about a foot forward from the original position then states to get it there while your in your downswing, one must get the back leg to move where the knees will touch on the downswing finish, and presto you have your result. My contention would be, why do all that, when if you swing correctly, THAT in iself, will take you there? It was a dumb tip to me even though the the pose and finish are correct desires. ..... I agree you must steepen the irons a tad. Has everything to do with the length of the club, and not the face of the club. I have at times looked at swing training aids in ebay. I never see used Meticuses. I can't see spending good bucks in going for something that might not be any help at all. It might be great for a beginner but not for a better golfer.
Message has been deleted

golfbum18

Oct 21, 2014, 9:37:56 AM10/21/14
I want to make it clear too that what I say works for me might not be the thing for someone else. I really don't want it to sound like I have the game figured out because it's far from that. You're only as good as your last shot and who knows what happens on the next. When you play golf and look at tips or give one that works, it's really the personification of IMHO!

golfbum18

Oct 21, 2014, 9:40:33 AM10/21/14
It's funny with golf and I guess this is the game where the saying "everyone has an opinion etc etc." I think it boils down to two things we've talked about here...
1. you're never quite sure how the swing will work today or really from shot to shot for that matter....a little like the Gump box of chocolates.... and
2. a swing can look great but if it doesn't get the ball in the hole, it's wasted beauty....I guess that would be the paris hilton or kim k theory. Nice looking but of no use.
I pity the beginning golfer who watches these tips. As you say, one says this, another says that. The beginner hasn't found out what works just a little for him or her to know which tips to try or not. I'd hate to be starting out again.
I shy away from a lot of practice tips, especially those that use gimmicks (towels under your feet, tennis balls under your arms etc) I'm not going to hit that many shots to get the feel for this. As long as I'm not making too many big mistakes, I'm good. I tend to get on my toes a little and this will change a lot of things. I have to think about staying on my heels more. A few swing thoughts are all I can manage over a shot.
I am fortunate enough to be able to follow summer south and now I'm down here trying to get used to the grass. More tight lies, lots of course overseeding so the lies change daily, different greens etc. I think the fairway lies are the toughest...sometimes, I think it might be better to be off the fairway into the "rough" which isn't anything like it was up north this summer.
Remeber Roseanne Roseannadanna from SNL? "It's always something."

curtj...@hotmail.com

Oct 22, 2014, 11:06:30 PM10/22/14
I agree with that, but it should be anticipated rather than automatic cause for worry. Even if I get in a good swing mode, I will invariably try something to even make it work better. If it doesn't work, I go back right to the swing. My swing is working rather well now and it's enjoyable. I have had that before and then lost it, and it has taken me a good while to get something on track again. It's just golf, but I think I have learned enough to see improvement that will keep me at an improved echelon and never go backwards to much. Lots of thinking and hardwork went into that.

> 2. a swing can look great but if it doesn't get the ball in the hole, it's wasted beauty....I guess that would be the paris hilton or kim k theory. Nice looking but of no use.

Absolutely right. The SS finish works for me, but it does nothing when I can't will my swing there. It has to be what i'm working on and everything coming pretty close together before it just happens. I think hitting the ball solid and far is more of a goal than hitting a ball straight without hitting it solid. Anyway, each swing that doesn't get that result gets a good thinking minute before the next hit. If you know why you hit it with less than optimal results that's a huge plus, rather than trying a few things at random, hopefully getting the swing back on track that way.

> I pity the beginning golfer who watches these tips. As you say, one says this, another says that. The beginner hasn't found out what works just a little for him or her to know which tips to try or not. I'd hate to be starting out again.

The beginner has it rough, no matter what. He doesn't have a flight plan and swings to try to get some feel and instinct going. He has to get the bug just to even improve. Golf is not a natural thing where people just pick up a club and are meant to be good. That's a myth.

> I shy away from a lot of practice tips, especially those that use gimmicks (towels under your feet, tennis balls under your arms etc) I'm not going to hit that many shots to get the feel for this. As long as I'm not making too many big mistakes, I'm good. I tend to get on my toes a little and this will change a lot of things. I have to think about staying on my heels more. A few swing thoughts are all I can manage over a shot.

Here's one: SS says famously to grip the club like your holding on to a bird. Ben Hogans says, you better make that bird a hawk! Most pros don't like the SS tip. I do. I have incorporated into my swing lately and it gives me more swing plane options and it allows me to feel in control and even maximize my power. I'm not going to explain why. Too complicated. It just helped me. I might have 7 or 8 swing thoughs in a session I think on, but like you, I can't work on more than a few at a time.

> I am fortunate enough to be able to follow summer south and now I'm down here trying to get used to the grass. More tight lies, lots of course overseeding so the lies change daily, different greens etc. I think the fairway lies are the toughest...sometimes, I think it might be better to be off the fairway into the "rough" which isn't anything like it was up north this summer.
> Remeber Roseanne Roseannadanna from SNL? "It's always something."

I here in 55 degree weather ready for the snow to come. Probably by spring, I'll have to reboot and try to figure out what I had going.

golfbum18

Oct 23, 2014, 7:29:12 PM10/23/14
Sorry to hear about the 55*.....and that will look good in a few weeks. I don't play much below 65 anymore. Thankfully, I don't have to but I remember playing on New Year's Eve afternoon one time. It was 41, dark, raw and ugly. The course I played then closed Jan until March 1 so I wanted to get it one more round. I can remember standing over a putt, watching the snot run outta my nose and thinking, "it landed right on the ball. I must be aligned properly." LOL Didn't help knowing the clubs were going in the corner for a couple of months.
I have heard the "hold the club like a bird" often. Bobby Jones said it...Varden, lots of good players. I find that might work on putts for me but not other shots. I know the theory about stressing the muscles, not swinging freely etc. However, I'm not squeezing the bejeezus out of it mind you but I would feel sorry for any bird. Again, it's what works.
I also remember getting into the game. Had a set of McGregor Golden Bear reg 86....no cavity backs were invented and the woods were woods. I had a weak, high fade and it looked like crap...played that way too. I was decent around the greens and putted well so that covered up a lot of bad shots. I would go to the range, spend bucks and buckets and really groove that bad swing. Finally, started to read up and found how to fix it. Cavity backs came out along with Taylor's first metals and the game got better. I was glad I fixed some problems and didn't rely on the technology to do it. I saw in Dick's SG the other day and some guy was shelling out a bunch of hundreds for a new driver. It looked great and he said to me, "I hope this works for me." I didn't have the heart to tell him that all that money didn't buy him the swing he needed to REALLY make it work.
Only good thing about putting the clubs away for winter....you forget all your bad habits by then. A week ago I went through the lousy shot period. Worked it out and have played the last 2 rounds very well. I don't ever throw around my scores but I shot below my handicap. Start bragging about your score this and that and the gods of golf team up with Karma and they drop a load on your head faster than you can dodge it. ;-)

curtj...@hotmail.com

Oct 26, 2014, 8:58:59 AM10/26/14
On Thursday, October 23, 2014 7:29:12 PM UTC-4, golfbum18 wrote:
> Sorry to hear about the 55*.....and that will look good in a few weeks. I don't play much below 65 anymore. Thankfully, I don't have to but I remember playing on New Year's Eve afternoon one time. It was 41, dark, raw and ugly. The course I played then closed Jan until March 1 so I wanted to get it one more round. I can remember standing over a putt, watching the snot run outta my nose and thinking, "it landed right on the ball. I must be aligned properly." LOL Didn't help knowing the clubs were going in the corner for a couple of months.

I've played in a few of those. We used to 'hop the fence' at our local 36 hole Muni on X-Mas and just have a go at it in Calif. Hey, it was free, even if it was a little brisk. I find I can stand much colder weather when I actually live in it, so 45 on a windless day is doable. 55 and I have a windbreaker or a hoodie and I'm fine. I would like to at least get back to where I came from in NJ. They have year-a-round golf unless the snow is too deep with a nice heating system in enclosed stalls. One could hit 600 balls for $12 if you got their early bird special. Now, that should be my first project, getting at least back there!, as I don't want to quit!

> I have heard the "hold the club like a bird" often. Bobby Jones said it...Varden, lots of good players. I find that might work on putts for me but not other shots. I know the theory about stressing the muscles, not swinging freely etc. However, I'm not squeezing the bejeezus out of it mind you but I would feel sorry for any bird. Again, it's what works.
> I also remember getting into the game. Had a set of McGregor Golden Bear reg 86....no cavity backs were invented and the woods were woods. I had a weak, high fade and it looked like crap...played that way too. I was decent around the greens and putted well so that covered up a lot of bad shots. I would go to the range, spend bucks and buckets and really groove that bad swing. Finally, started to read up and found how to fix it. Cavity backs came out along with Taylor's first metals and the game got better. I was glad I fixed some problems and didn't rely on the technology to do it. I saw in Dick's SG the other day and some guy was shelling out a bunch of hundreds for a new driver. It looked great and he said to me, "I hope this works for me." I didn't have the heart to tell him that all that money didn't buy him the swing he needed to REALLY make it work.

I actually do the opposite, freeze the hands with the putter, and loosen it up with the regular shots. Tempo is the most fun to work on as a good one will yield the best solid strikes, and that's what I will work on today. Probably two sessions as the time is running short.

> Only good thing about putting the clubs away for winter....you forget all your bad habits by then. A week ago I went through the lousy shot period. Worked it out and have played the last 2 rounds very well. I don't ever throw around my scores but I shot below my handicap. Start bragging about your score this and that and the gods of golf team up with Karma and they drop a load on your head faster than you can dodge it. ;-)

I saw this one training aid. I think you hit it with these balls that stick to this mat. Now, I could take this down to the storage room/basement and maybe do that. Well, unless the training aid is just too stupid. I'll at least see if I can swing a club in it! And I found one thing about the range. You go home less walking-tired and you don't care what you shot. It's always good!

golfbum18

Oct 26, 2014, 7:44:18 PM10/26/14
I remember those cold nights in Jan when you got the putting cup out in the living room and hit some. Not much grain, no wind, no breaks to worry about. One of the old timers I knew then and I would count down the weeks from New Years until the Masters. With some luck, I could get out a couple of times before then.
A bunch that I played with did a "winter tour" thing in our area. Every Wed, weather permitting and they would play in almost anything, the bunch went out. I remember talking about a hole on one of our fav courses that was tough for me. Par 4, fairly longish, tight and the approach had a pond on the left and OB on the right. talking about this one day the guy said he played it once and had the ball bounce off the pond onto the green. I know balls skip but bounce?? Then he told me that pond was frozen. Good way to play it but not for me.
Hopefully, you can, if you want, get away from your job at some point (some call that retirement) and find a little warmer weather. I'm blessed to be able to do this. Last New Years Day, we played and it was 83* Problem is, you get so spoiled in such a hurry with warm weather.
I know the mat thingie. I remember when the nets first came out to hit into. Be great to be able to have the mad money to afford one of those simulators like on TGC. Play any course you want from the confines of your own home.

curtj...@hotmail.com

Oct 27, 2014, 12:46:20 AM10/27/14
Yeah, I remember where when I had things going my way more and travelled the U.S. quite a bit, and would be on I-10 in Ariz. and see golfers on the range in December with shorts on at 7 A.M. Orlando was a nice stay for me for about six months. Nice golf weather almost everyday even in the not-so-prime months. I think here they have some sort of ski golf with illuminating golf balls. I don't know how that works, but it sounds kinda stupid to me. I have played with those simulators and hitting into a screen on famous courses. I sure wouldn't mind having one of those. I have seen one guy turn his upstairs office into a golf place where he had a 'range' of hitting from mats into nets, and had a simulator in the next room. Nice place to hang out. Anyway, after today's two sessions, I wrote the 4 things that were the most important to the best shots I was hitting. I might have to squirrel that piece of paper for a few months so I rememember the good things, so I don't have to depend on forgetting the bad.

golfbum18

Oct 27, 2014, 5:49:49 PM10/27/14
One thing I'm superstitious about....when you find something that is working or has improved a problem, don't EVER talk about it to anyone. Just as soon as you let it out of your mouth, it's gone forever. Real logical on my part eh?
FL is great. Probably the worst weather is in the summer and it's not the heat and humidity that bothers me...it's the showers every day. Fix for this is play around 10 in the morning and you should be done for the aft. shower, when it will then clear, sun comes out and you have a beautiful evening.
Sounds like your the guy with the golf office is someone you'd want to gift with a nice wine or some good scotch????

golfbum18

Oct 27, 2014, 5:53:26 PM10/27/14
The south, FL in particular also gives the added advantage of more daylight at the days end. Dec up north will have the sun going down around 4:30 while in FL it's almost an hour later.

curtj...@hotmail.com

Oct 27, 2014, 6:34:11 PM10/27/14
I had the best session, just on trying this one thing out! Man, did it change things around for me! Hitting it was just a cavalier swing with very little thinking after that! Oh, sorry, I don't want to divulge anything that would be counteractive and counterproductive to your swing philosophy!..;-)

> FL is great. Probably the worst weather is in the summer and it's not the heat and humidity that bothers me...it's the showers every day. Fix for this is play around 10 in the morning and you should be done for the aft. shower, when it will then clear, sun comes out and you have a beautiful evening.
> Sounds like your the guy with the golf office is someone you'd want to gift with a nice wine or some good scotch????

No, but, I might look for some property near the Equator when me ship comes in!

golfbum18

Oct 27, 2014, 8:07:18 PM10/27/14
LOL. Don't temp fate! ;-)
I hear Argentina is a great place to go...lots of old German money and country clubs down there.....and no cold fronts from Canada.

curtj...@hotmail.com

Oct 28, 2014, 5:19:29 AM10/28/14
> LOL. Don't tempt fate!"-:)

"Fate?! "Fate?!" "Fate?!" Fee Fi Fo Fum, I hear the steps of an Englishman!! To the man who can't confront his fears of shooting himself in the foot, I bequeath The Fickle Finger of Fate Award to GB! Man, get a hold of yourself! Control that white spheroid, instead, it may control you! Once you have 'it' you can tell that Career Criminal of a ball off! Beat it like a Red-headed stepchild! (forgive me if you had lots of dates and were raised by good parents, now). Now, that you have 'it' you can send the bad boy of a ball to the Promised Land of Target and Distance! Do not ever give up on finding 'it'! Once 'it' is found you will have conquered your fears and phobias and you will be the positive force of your foursome leading to under 4 hour rounds and extra earned time for Ye Nineteenth Hole!

> I hear Argentina is a great place to go...lots of old German money and country clubs down there.....and no cold fronts from Canada.

It might be and maybe I can play a round or two with Himmler and Hitler and have some nice Asado! We have a warm front coming from that coveted south to soar us close to 80 today, followed by Canada and her not-so-nice fronts of Old Man Winter bringing snow flakes by Sunday! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! Good thing I found 'it' so I can hibernate well for the upcoming dreaded season!..-:)

golfbum18

Oct 28, 2014, 2:28:21 PM10/28/14

> > LOL. Don't tempt fate!"-:)
>

> "Fate?! "Fate?!" "Fate?!" Fee Fi Fo Fum, I hear the steps of an Englishman!! To the man who can't confront his fears of shooting himself in the foot, I bequeath The Fickle Finger of Fate Award to GB! Man, get a hold of yourself! Control that white spheroid, instead, it may control you! Once you have 'it' you can tell that Career Criminal of a ball off! Beat it like a Red-headed stepchild! (forgive me if you had lots of dates and were raised by good parents, now). Now, that you have 'it' you can send the bad boy of a ball to the Promised Land of Target and Distance! Do not ever give up on finding 'it'! Once 'it' is found you will have conquered your fears and phobias and you will be the positive force of your foursome leading to under 4 hour rounds and extra earned time for Ye Nineteenth Hole!

That bit of prose should at least get a golf clap!!!

> > I hear Argentina is a great place to go...lots of old German money and country clubs down there.....and no cold fronts from Canada.
>
> It might be and maybe I can play a round or two with Himmler and Hitler and have some nice Asado! We have a warm front coming from that coveted south to soar us close to 80 today, followed by Canada and her not-so-nice fronts of Old Man Winter bringing snow flakes by Sunday! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! Good thing I found 'it' so I can hibernate well for the upcoming dreaded season!..-:)

I hear you can tell the when you're playing with the "old guard" in that they have some very peculiar coverings for their golf balls. Surfaces are more the "raised pore" configuration rather than the indented dimple. ;-)

MNMikew

Oct 28, 2014, 2:36:04 PM10/28/14
golfbum18 wrote:

> That bit of prose should at least get a golf clap!!!
Surfaces are more the "raised pore" configuration rather than the
indented dimple. ;-)

Round here, been rather warm (for MN) 60's. Golf still going on strong.
Though losing a ball on the fairway due to leaves is a bit annoying.
Funny you see people on the course bundled up in coats, hats, mitts when
its 60. Of course, when it hits 60 in April, it's shorts and tee shirts.

Loudon Briggs

Oct 28, 2014, 3:17:46 PM10/28/14

>golfbum18 wrote:

>Round here, been rather warm (for MN) 60's. Golf still going on strong.
>Though losing a ball on the fairway due to leaves is a bit annoying.
>Funny you see people on the course bundled up in coats, hats, mitts when
>its 60. Of course, when it hits 60 in April, it's shorts and tee shirts.

This is human nature, and so true, everywhere. I've lived in Fla.,
Ill., and AZ, and that happened in all three. I played for near 80
years and I was part of that goofy crowd... many times! :)

curtj...@hotmail.com

Oct 28, 2014, 8:04:29 PM10/28/14
I wouldn't doubt they wouldn't invent the Nuke Ball, and I know all didn't go to Argentina, because they changed their names to fit in, like Yammeringamoto in our CC from hell in Haworth, NJ!...- :0

golfbum18

Oct 30, 2014, 10:54:19 AM10/30/14
"Marathon Man" comes to mind...."is it safe?"

curtj...@hotmail.com

Oct 30, 2014, 3:36:47 PM10/30/14
Haven't seen DH in that one yet. William Goldman my favorite author. I haven't read that one though.