What is going on in the Bills-Steelers game?

Doug Evans - CIT, Comm Systems Eng

Nov 15, 1993, 11:31:00 PM11/15/93
Many of us Bills fans were prepared for the Bills to play one of
their customary "ugly-game-of-the-season" tonight, and they are
living up to that.

Ok, no problem. Who cares? The Steelers beat them tonight and
everyone starts screaming about a Steelers dynasty. Just like the
Monday night game at KC a couple years ago. We can live with what
will be said. We ended up crunching KC in the playoffs that year.
Maybe we'll get Pittsburgh again this year.

What I'd like to know is: What is up with the refs? I just watched
the exchange with Bennett and the refs, and I can't believe what
bullshit I just witnessed! I know what Bennett was upset about, Neil
O'Donnell threw the football in Marvcus Patton's face after sacking
him and the umpire didn't call unsportmanslike conduct on O'Donnell.

What was the refs answer? A totally BOGUS call against Oliver Barnett
for roughing the passer! That is the most blatant attempt by a ref
to get even that I've ever seen! I think the MNF glanced by it because
they saw the same thing.

What the hell?

Doug
--
| Doug Evans
| State University of New York at Buffalo
| ev...@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu

Crazy Pyro

Nov 16, 1993, 10:43:38 AM11/16/93
In article <CGKHr...@acsu.buffalo.edu>

ev...@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (Doug Evans - CIT, Comm Systems Eng) writes:

>Many of us Bills fans were prepared for the Bills to play one of
>their customary "ugly-game-of-the-season" tonight, and they are
>living up to that.
>
>Ok, no problem. Who cares? The Steelers beat them tonight and
>everyone starts screaming about a Steelers dynasty. Just like the
>Monday night game at KC a couple years ago. We can live with what
>will be said. We ended up crunching KC in the playoffs that year.
>Maybe we'll get Pittsburgh again this year.
>
>What I'd like to know is: What is up with the refs? I just watched
>the exchange with Bennett and the refs, and I can't believe what
>bullshit I just witnessed! I know what Bennett was upset about, Neil
>O'Donnell threw the football in Marvcus Patton's face after sacking
>him and the umpire didn't call unsportmanslike conduct on O'Donnell.

He's lucky Neil didn't kick his ass! Eat your heart out baby! The
Bills just got a good old ass-whipping last night and they whined and
complained about every play! I don't want to hear it! Watch out for
the Steelers! They are definitely a franchise on the RISE!
Stop complaining, the Steelers won this battle but the war's far from over!

Go Steelers! Keep on kicking ass!
Ray - a crazed Steeler fan

Steve Osborne

Nov 16, 1993, 8:51:54 AM11/16/93
In article <CGKHr...@acsu.buffalo.edu> ev...@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (Doug Evans - CIT, Comm Systems Eng) writes:
>From: ev...@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (Doug Evans - CIT, Comm Systems Eng)
>Subject: What is going on in the Bills-Steelers game?
>Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1993 04:31:00 GMT

>What I'd like to know is: What is up with the refs? I just watched
>the exchange with Bennett and the refs, and I can't believe what
>bullshit I just witnessed! I know what Bennett was upset about, Neil
>O'Donnell threw the football in Marvcus Patton's face after sacking
>him and the umpire didn't call unsportmanslike conduct on O'Donnell.
>
>What was the refs answer? A totally BOGUS call against Oliver Barnett
>for roughing the passer! That is the most blatant attempt by a ref
>to get even that I've ever seen! I think the MNF glanced by it because
>they saw the same thing.
>
>What the hell?
>
>Doug

I kind of agree with you Doug. The call against Barnett was not a very good
one. MNF did not just glance by it though. They suggested that it was
because of Bennett. This was in bad taste for announcers IMNSHO.

What I can't believe is that Bennett didn't get a penalty or even ejected
from the game!
Anthony Smith of the Raiders got ejected from the first KC game this season
and he didn't do half as much as Bennett did.

--- Steve

Anthony Anello

Nov 16, 1993, 11:47:07 AM11/16/93
Ref. article <CGKHr...@acsu.buffalo.edu> by ev...@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (Doug Evans):

text deleted...

>What I'd like to know is: What is up with the refs? I just watched
>the exchange with Bennett and the refs, and I can't believe what
>bullshit I just witnessed! I know what Bennett was upset about, Neil
>O'Donnell threw the football in Marvcus Patton's face after sacking
>him and the umpire didn't call unsportmanslike conduct on O'Donnell.

>What was the refs answer? A totally BOGUS call against Oliver Barnett
>for roughing the passer! That is the most blatant attempt by a ref
>to get even that I've ever seen! I think the MNF glanced by it because
>they saw the same thing.

>What the hell?

>Doug
>--

It was an extremely unfair call that made my blood boil. The referee should
have dealt with Bennett and his behavior- not take it out on the Bills the
next play! It certainly did not even out- the Bills could possibly have gotten
some momentum at that point if the interception stood. Hard to do when you
practically give the Steelers a touchdown. They didn't even show the Barnett
infraction on replay! Why was that if it was'nt such a blatant miss-call?
On the downside though- I wish the Bills would stop calling for pass-
interference every time they drop the ball- it was embarrassing last night.
Quit worrying about getting a penalty and concentrate on CATCHING the ball.
Oh well- one tough loss does not the end of the season make.

Tony A.
ane...@adcs01.fnal.gov

play

Matt Brockman

Nov 16, 1993, 12:09:40 PM11/16/93
In article <CGKHr...@acsu.buffalo.edu> ev...@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (Doug Evans - CIT, Comm Systems Eng) writes:
>What was the refs answer? A totally BOGUS call against Oliver Barnett
>for roughing the passer! That is the most blatant attempt by a ref
>to get even that I've ever seen! I think the MNF glanced by it because
>they saw the same thing.

Another explanation for the roughing the passer penalty
being called is that one Bill had O'Donnel by the ankles
while the other hit him high. It was a close call though
and the previous argument may have tilted the scales
against Barnett.

Matt Brockman NFL: Go Steelers! mbro...@ecn.purdue.edu
WLAF: Go, Go, Glory!
AFL: Go Thunderbolts!

Floyd Goodrich

Nov 16, 1993, 12:25:48 PM11/16/93
In article <2cb06b$r...@fnnews.fnal.gov> ane...@adcs00.fnal.gov (Anthony Anello) writes:

>It was an extremely unfair call that made my blood boil. The referee should
>have dealt with Bennett and his behavior- not take it out on the Bills the
>next play! It certainly did not even out- the Bills could possibly have gotten
>some momentum at that point if the interception stood. Hard to do when you
>practically give the Steelers a touchdown. They didn't even show the Barnett
>infraction on replay! Why was that if it was'nt such a blatant miss-call?

So you didn't see a replay but you somehow know *for sure* that it was a
totally bogus call? How? They don't show a lot of replays of 3 yard gains,
would you say that those plays have lots of totally bogus penalties? And
it only gave Pittsburgh a FG, not a TD, regardless of what the momentum
swing would have been.

Floyd Goodrich
flo...@cayman.amd.com

Jonathan Maszak

Nov 16, 1993, 6:55:00 PM11/16/93
In article <CGKHr...@acsu.buffalo.edu> ev...@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (Doug
Evans - CIT, Comm Systems Eng) writes:
> > What I'd like to know is: What is up with the refs? I just watched
> the exchange with Bennett and the refs, and I can't believe what
> bullshit I just witnessed! I know what Bennett was upset about, Neil
> O'Donnell threw the football in Marvcus Patton's face after sacking
> him and the umpire didn't call unsportmanslike conduct on O'Donnell.
>
> What was the refs answer? A totally BOGUS call against Oliver Barnett
> for roughing the passer! That is the most blatant attempt by a ref
> to get even that I've ever seen! I think the MNF glanced by it because
> they saw the same thing.
>
> What the hell?
>
> Doug

a lot of blatant homering deleted:
i guess it was the ref's fault that the bill's defensive line was getting
blown off the ball and the secondary couldn't handle big eric green and
the steelers recievers were faster than buffalo's defenseand the buffalo's
wide outs couldn't hold on to the football and kevin green is too fast for
the rest of the team and marv levy couldn't make the right calls and
kelly's concussion, and beebe's HIT, and reed's wrist, and o'donnels
flawless game, and thompsons sweet cuts.
sack up pal and take the loss,
jon

Vernon H Harmon

Nov 16, 1993, 3:54:27 PM11/16/93
>What I'd like to know is: What is up with the refs? I just watched
>the exchange with Bennett and the refs, and I can't believe what
>bullshit I just witnessed! I know what Bennett was upset about, Neil
>O'Donnell threw the football in Marvcus Patton's face after sacking
>him and the umpire didn't call unsportmanslike conduct on O'Donnell.

uh, no. Patton shoved his hand into O'Donnell's face and Neil complained
to the refs about it. Instead of throwing a late flag, they said something
to the Bills defense (probably like "we didn't see it, but don't do it
again"), which apparently pissed off Bennett. At least that's what I saw.
Regardless of what happened, Bennett was lucky he wasn't thrown out because
he hit one of the refs with his helmet....

>What was the refs answer? A totally BOGUS call against Oliver Barnett
>for roughing the passer! That is the most blatant attempt by a ref
>to get even that I've ever seen! I think the MNF glanced by it because
>they saw the same thing.

well, they only showed the foul once and they didn't show the whole thing,
but it looked like Barnett put a hand to O'Donnell's head after he could
clearly see that Neil had thrown the ball. That's *supposed* to be a foul.
I'm not saying that's what happened because I couldn't tell, but that's
what it *looked* like.

--Vernon.

00tm...@leo.bsuvc.bsu.edu

Nov 21, 1993, 2:59:04 PM11/21/93
This just goes with what I said about the Raiders not being liked by the
officials. No wonder the Raiders have the record they do. Hell, how can you
score if you get 100 yards in penalties a game.