2 point conversion statistics

Chris

May 27, 2002, 4:13:31 AM5/27/02
Hey guys,
I'm doing a report on the merits or lack there of of going for two
points in stead of one. Thus, I'm searching desperately for statistics
on the success rate
teams have had with two point conversions over the past few seasons.
I've searched nfl.com and scoured the web to no avail. If someone
could help me out and point me to a web site or other resource with
such statistics (either by team or overall) that would help me a lot.
Thanks a lot!

Chris

dp

May 27, 2002, 4:22:14 AM5/27/02

"Chris" <chri...@stanford.edu> wrote in message

I know for a fact that it is way under 50%. Since extra points are well
over 95%, it seems like you should only go for 2 if it brings you 1 score
closer to tie with time running out > down by 18, 10 or 5. Going for 2
early in a game is a classic case of over-coaching the game. Somebody
should take those charts away from them until the 4th quarter starts.

Mpoconnor7

May 27, 2002, 8:21:47 AM5/27/02
The rate was over 50 percent the first season they started using it (1994), but
has been under 50 percent every year since then.
Going thru my resources, I have the info for each season, thru 2000. Here
goes, courtesy of the NFL Record and Fact Books 1995 thru 2001:

1994: 59 Conversions; the League Stats do not list attempts in 1994 or 95
1995: 40 Conversions
1996: 44/92
1997: 47/109
1998: 41/105
1999: 31/84
2000: 31/85

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man
"The probability of one person being right increases in a direct porportion to
the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"