My Vote for #1

Dana A. Bunner

Jan 3, 1991, 1:07:49 PM1/3/91

Iff'n I had a vote for #1, I would cast it for Georgia Tech. My reasoning:

Since we don't have a playoff I must cast it for the team which I think is
A) The Team which had the best season AND
B) The team I think is the better team.

Colorado played a great schedule, one of the toughest I have seen in recent
years and I give them due credit for it. They have undoubtably earned the
right to be seriously considered for the #1 ranking.

However on the other hand they:
A) Did lose a game (to eventual 8-4 Illinois)
B) Won two games in "Last Second Could Have Gone Either Way" calls. I'm
talking about the Stanford and Missouri games. Even without the infamous
Fifth Down...they had to go to the last play of the game to defeat these
5-6 and 4-7 teams. In each game the final TD was a very close call and
both could have easily been ruled as non-TD's.
C) Tied Tennessee
D) Won the Orange Bowl because a ref saw and called a rather close clip.

I give them credit for wins over Washington, Texas, Notre Dame, Oklahoma,
Nebraska. Both their tie and loss were to tough teams with winning records.

However if we are going to go with a poll system then I look back at Colorado's
season and see how incredibly close they were to finishing with 9, 8, or even
7 wins and I fail to be convinced they are clearly the #1 team.

Georgia Tech did not play as tough a schedule as did Colorado. There is no
question about it. However I then ask "Did they play a good solid schedule
which should have tested them severely enough to merit consideration for
the #1 ranking?". My conclusion is Yes. They played a very tough Clemson
team, a decent Nebraska team (this team lead Colorado 12-0 through 3 quarters),
a Virginia team which I am convinced was played true Top-10 football at this
point of their season (this may have been the best game of the 1990 season),
and several other tough teams which could have easily upset them (ala a
Stanford over ND, UCLA over Washington, Iowa State over Oklahoma) such as
NC State, Maryland, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, and South Carolina.
They played 8 teams rated in the top 50 by the Sagarin rankings. And
this doesn't include their arch-rival Georgia, which despite having a down
year, was certainly capable and motivated for playing the spoiler.

Against this competitive schedule GT finished 11-0-1. They struggled at
times (but not against any teams with losing records).

If CU and GT played, it would certainly be a great game and quite hard to
predict but I think the Wreck would pull it out with that great offense.

Dana B.

plai...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2017, 11:08:22 PM7/2/17
Oh yeah? Did Georgia Tech frighten the refs into getting a fifth down when they really needed it? Did Bear Bryant or Amos Alonzo Stagg? Not even Knute Fucking Rockne could get a fifth down! Colorado did! Without even unleashing Ralphie! That makes the Buffs one of the greatest teams of all time. An automatic #1 for 1990.

unclejr

Jul 2, 2017, 11:10:56 PM7/2/17
Holy time capsule, Batman.

Some dued

Jul 3, 2017, 12:16:44 AM7/3/17
1991, not 1990.

Some dued

Jul 3, 2017, 12:17:25 AM7/3/17
These old threads are a hell of a lot more entertaining to read.

plai...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2017, 1:23:35 AM7/3/17
He posted that in January 1991. It was the 1990 season and the 1991 New Year's Day bowl games. I thought that would make them the 1990 champions, but I could be wrong.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Jul 3, 2017, 8:29:34 AM7/3/17
On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 20:10:54 -0700 (PDT), unclejr <wats...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Holy time capsule, Batman.

I cede the Blue Ribbon for 3 July.

Hugh

---
http://www.avg.com

xyzzy

Jul 3, 2017, 10:22:49 AM7/3/17
On Monday, July 3, 2017 at 12:17:25 AM UTC-4, Some dued wrote:
> These old threads are a hell of a lot more entertaining to read.

When you see the names and variety of people who responded to them and compare to today, they are depressing.

agavi...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2017, 11:25:52 AM7/3/17
I've had the same thoughts.

Futbol Phan

Jul 3, 2017, 12:25:33 PM7/3/17
This was before the chatrum became rec.sport.alt-right.crap.incessantly.and.occasionally.some.intelligent.conversation

agavi...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2017, 1:52:03 PM7/3/17
Search Mike Dahmus, Czar Christopher.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Jul 3, 2017, 2:03:30 PM7/3/17
On Mon, 3 Jul 2017 07:22:45 -0700 (PDT), xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Monday, July 3, 2017 at 12:17:25 AM UTC-4, Some dued wrote:
>> These old threads are a hell of a lot more entertaining to read.
>
>When you see the names and variety of people who responded to them and compare to today, they are depressing.

Queers and liberals ae the turds in the American punch bowl.

Some dued

Jul 3, 2017, 6:56:53 PM7/3/17
I thought CU won in 91, but I misremembered it WAS 90.

Eric Ramon

Jul 4, 2017, 12:00:23 AM7/4/17
That devout Christian, Bill McCartney, forgot "thou shalt not steal"

darkst...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2017, 1:15:50 AM7/4/17
On Monday, July 3, 2017 at 9:25:33 AM UTC-7, Futbol Phan wrote:

> This was before the chatrum became rec.sport.alt-right.crap.incessantly.and.occasionally.some.intelligent.conversation

You'll find out why it became that way on the football fields this year -- both college and professional.

Mike

unclejr

Jul 4, 2017, 9:22:27 AM7/4/17
On Monday, July 3, 2017 at 11:00:23 PM UTC-5, Eric Ramon wrote:
> That devout Christian, Bill McCartney, forgot "thou shalt not steal"

Lots of Christians forget a lot of what Christianity is all about. Par for the course IMO.

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

Jul 4, 2017, 9:44:56 AM7/4/17
At least they have something they try to live up to. :)

--
It's tough being a conservative white male. You get up in the morning
knowing there are blacks to oppress, women to demean, an entire

irishra...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2017, 4:03:45 PM7/4/17
On Thursday, January 3, 1991 at 1:07:49 PM UTC-5, Dana A. Bunner wrote:
> Iff'n I had a vote for #1, I would cast it for Georgia Tech.

I had trouble following your post. You talk about #1 but do not mention
The Ohio State Buckeyes?

Irish Mike

plai...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2017, 6:39:34 PM7/4/17
I know it's impossible to believe, but Ohio State lost to Illinois and tied Indiana that season. They finished at 7-4-1 and lost by 2 touchdowns to Air Force in the Liberty Bowl. Not an auspicious start to the John Cooper era and certainly not National Championship worthy.

irishra...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2017, 6:26:06 AM7/5/17
On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 6:39:34 PM UTC-4, plai...@gmail.com wrote:
> I know it's impossible to believe, but Ohio State lost to Illinois and tied Indiana that season. They finished at 7-4-1 and lost by 2 touchdowns to Air Force in the Liberty Bowl. Not an auspicious start to the John Cooper era and certainly not National Championship worthy.

Well, I was referring to the current 2017 Ohio State Buckeye Team under the leadership of Urban
Meyer. John Cooper was my least favorite Buckeye head coach, served from 1988 - 2000,
which was at least ten years too long in my book.

Irish Mike