Why Trump Didn't Get His Wall When The GOP Controlled Both Houses

Tom Enright

Jan 31, 2019, 9:11:43 AM1/31/19
Ryan screwed him, at least that's what Trump says:

https://dailycaller.com/2019/01/30/trump-blames-paul-ryan-wall-funding/

“Well, I was going to veto the omnibus bill and Paul told me in the strongest of language, ‘Please don’t do that, we’ll get you the wall.’ And I said, ‘I hope you mean that, because I don’t like this bill,’” the president recounted in an exclusive Wednesday interview with The Daily Caller.

“Paul told me in the strongest of terms that, ‘please sign this and if you sign this we will get you that wall.’ Which is desperately needed by our country. Humanitarian crisis, trafficking, drugs, you know, everything — people, criminals, gangs, so, you know, we need the wall.”

“And then he went lame duck,” Trump said.

-TE

btpag...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2019, 9:41:42 AM1/31/19
I thought this was common knowledge. I guess the negative of always hearing from inside the beltway is that you assume others are getting that same information and that is not always the case.

Futbol Phan

Jan 31, 2019, 11:19:34 AM1/31/19
Serious question:

Can anyone point me to a situation where Trump actually acknowledges that he failed at something?

dotsla...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2019, 12:48:00 PM1/31/19
This is sort of hard to believe given Ryan's eagle scout rep.

But, I dunno, maybe he read the trumpster's book "Contracts are Written on Paper, not Carved in Stone" and had a goose gander moment.

Cheers.

xyzzy

Jan 31, 2019, 12:58:04 PM1/31/19
I think it’s more likely that just like every Republican who is not a
social media or rsfc wingnut, he knew the wall is a campaign gimmick of no
real value, and so he was unwilling to spend any political capital on it.

dotsla...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2019, 3:49:45 PM1/31/19
Yeah, prolly. The part I doubt is trumpster's whining that he was promised in the strongest terms.

This from a guy who routinely used contracts as a starting point to negotiate how much he was actually going to pay... after the work was done. And if you don't like it we can lock things up in court for years arguing.

Karma, comeuppance, sad whining, nothing's ever his fault, all that. Just not a great human being.

Cheers.

Michael Press

Jan 31, 2019, 4:31:24 PM1/31/19
In article <58a16403-5118-4a36...@googlegroups.com>,
Why did Ryan announce early that he would not seek another term?
Something there and none of us know what. I think President Trump knows.

--
Michael Press

dotsla...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2019, 4:50:47 PM1/31/19
That's no secret, Press. He watched a party he'd been trying - with limited success - to steer towards "real" conservatism - limited government, lower taxes, fiscal responsibility, etc - go all in on the bannon style far right xenophobic christian nationalist ahole stuff.

So he said rsfck it I'm out.

Pretty straightforward. See your boy bannon is running the same game across europe now - how's it going over there?

Cheers.

Michael Press

Jan 31, 2019, 6:19:45 PM1/31/19
In article <a23a8f4f-ad1a-4115...@googlegroups.com>,
dotsla...@gmail.com wrote:

> That's no secret, Press. He watched a party he'd been trying - with limited success - to steer towards "real" conservatism - limited government, lower taxes, fiscal responsibility, etc - go all in on the bannon style far right xenophobic christian nationalist ahole stuff.
>
> So he said rsfck it I'm out.

Lifelong politicians do not. There is more here.

> Pretty straightforward. See your boy bannon is running the same game across europe now - how's it going over there?

To many unfulfilled premises.

--
Michael Press

dotsla...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2019, 6:30:15 PM1/31/19
'Too'.

Cheers.

plai...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2019, 9:33:56 PM1/31/19
No, Press really meant "To many unfulfilled premises."

It was a toast to President Trump's political philosophy.

michael anderson

Jan 31, 2019, 11:50:30 PM1/31/19
On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 8:11:43 AM UTC-6, Tom Enright wrote:
this is all such bullshit....

he didnt get 'his wall' because nobody in congress(including probably him) want it.

if any republican(and Im a republican, not a trumpian) tries to blame 'the dems' for not getting a wall, they can leave my party. Because the dems have a lot of issues, but we had the presidency and congress for 2 years....and didnt o a damn thing about any wall(which is good btw). So the idea that all of a sudden now the dems are to blame? Jesus christ.....anyone who buys that nonsense from trump should have their voting rights rescinded

Futbol Phan

Feb 1, 2019, 12:26:36 AM2/1/19
As the Talking Heads might say, Stop Making Sense.

RoddyMcCorley

Feb 3, 2019, 12:34:05 AM2/3/19
He's got to blame someone. Maybe he could have gotten Manafort to get
the Ukrainians to pay for it?

--
False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul
with evil.

Pennsylvania - Tá sé difriúil anseo.