Theresa May: the Hillary Clinton of the U.K.?

xyzzy

Jun 8, 2017, 11:05:05 PM6/8/17
Discuss amongst yourselves.

Marty McMahone

Jun 8, 2017, 11:17:52 PM6/8/17
On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 10:05:05 PM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
> Discuss amongst yourselves.

British liberals are sexist!!!

darkst...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2017, 3:05:04 AM6/9/17
On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 8:05:05 PM UTC-7, xyzzy wrote:
> Discuss amongst yourselves.

Many thought she had it in the bag when she called the election, and, instead, it appears the Parliament is hung.

Mike

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

Jun 9, 2017, 7:15:21 AM6/9/17
On 2017-06-09, xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Discuss amongst yourselves.

Clinton: I just blew the most winnable election.
May: Hey, hold my pint...

--
The problem with Internet quotations is that many of them
are not genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln

xyzzy

Jun 9, 2017, 7:16:35 AM6/9/17
Defeated in a shocking upset....check
Assumed the awfulness of her opponent would ensure victory....check
The choice of the establishment....check
Acted like victory was assured throughout the campaign....check
Lost despite getting the most votes...check
Pulled down by baggage from a long career while running against a neophyte....check

I'm sure I'll think of more.

xyzzy

Jun 9, 2017, 7:18:48 AM6/9/17
Heh

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Jun 9, 2017, 8:29:58 AM6/9/17
On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 6:18:48 AM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
> Heh

+1

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Jun 9, 2017, 8:30:47 AM6/9/17
You missed the easiest one - beaten by a man whom the world considers batshit insane

Emperor Wonko the Sane

Jun 9, 2017, 10:17:53 AM6/9/17
On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 6:15:21 AM UTC-5, Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:
> On 2017-06-09, xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Discuss amongst yourselves.
>
> Clinton: I just blew the most winnable election.
> May: Hey, hold my pint...

tmml

Doug

Emperor Wonko the Sane

Jun 9, 2017, 10:19:42 AM6/9/17
I'm sure an investigation of the russkies will launch shortly.

Doug

xyzzy

Jun 9, 2017, 10:50:33 AM6/9/17
On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 7:15:21 AM UTC-4, Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:
> On 2017-06-09, xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Discuss amongst yourselves.
>
> Clinton: I just blew the most winnable election.
> May: Hey, hold my pint...

I love this post so much, I created a meme out of it. Feel free to share an disseminate

https://imgflip.com/i/1qlo33

dotsla...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2017, 11:06:33 AM6/9/17
One thing that caught my casual eye - sure, the conservatives took it on the chin, but that Scottish party got absolutely decimated.

Any of you big branes have insight on that? My guess would be it's backlash against them floating the idea of another independence referendum, but that's just a swag.

Cheers.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Jun 9, 2017, 11:07:41 AM6/9/17
Nicely done!

xyzzy

Jun 9, 2017, 11:11:42 AM6/9/17
Funny you should ask. I just posted this to Facebook this morning:

The UK election is a cautionary tale for ideological third parties. Because the Scottish National Party re-elected Theresa May (assuming she can make a coalition that holds together). Theresa May will lead UK out of the EU, and the SNP desperately wants to stay in the EU. They just cut off their nose to spite their face.

Why do I say that? The Conservatives gained 13 seats from the SNP in Scotland even while losing ground elsewhere. That makes no sense considering how liberal Scotland and the SNP are. How did they do that? Easy, SNP and Labour split the vote in those seats and the Conservatives slipped in with pluralities. If you eliminate the SNP you can assume Labour wins those seats. But if you eliminate the SNP you can also assume Labour wins the 35 seats the SNP did win, because those two parties are ideologically similar except for the Scotland Independence issue.

So in the likely two-party vote take 13 seats from the Cons, add 48 to Labour, and Labour is the biggest party in Parliament, and Jeremy Corbin is meeting with the Queen today after striking a deal with the Lib Dems.

dotsla...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2017, 11:37:28 AM6/9/17
Gotcha, x - good analysis. That's why I was always secretly hoping the tea party would actually branch off and become its own party. In similar "split votes" fashion, that'd bring a lot of write off elections - even in places like Texas - into play for the dems.

(It would have also - imo - opened the door for the dnc to move a bit further left of center, assuming the tea party as a new far right party that pushes the GOP more into the center).

Cheers.

agavi...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2017, 1:32:40 PM6/9/17
Completely wrong.

Hillary didn't lose to Bernie Sanders (she did, but that's a different topic).

"Thanks Hugo Chavez for showing that the poor matter and wealth can be shared. He made massive contributions to Venezuela & a very wide world." - Jeremy Corbyn

Some dued

Jun 9, 2017, 3:35:30 PM6/9/17
Thanks Kansas for showing that tax cuts don't work.