On Self Driving a Trucks, Again

agavi...@gmail.com

May 23, 2015, 7:41:16 AM5/23/15

GrtArtiste

May 23, 2015, 9:42:34 AM5/23/15
On 5/23/2015 7:41 AM, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> https://medium.com/basic-income/self-driving-trucks-are-going-to-hit-us-like-a-human-driven-truck-b8507d9c5961

Even if this technology works as described, the very thought of it makes
me cringe. Sooner or later, someone somewhere will try to cut corners to
save yet another buck and a problem of magnitude similar to a Takata
airbag recall or a GM ignition switch will rear it's ugly head. Then all
the finger pointing will begin: ("It was your auto-brake controller that
caused the crash!!..."NO, it was your camera system that
failed!!!"...and so on.)

Also, I'm not all warm and fuzzy about sharing the road with a vehicle
that is depending on software and sensors to cope with the possibility
of rapidly changing weather conditions and the negligence or criminal
intent of the human drivers still on the road. ("Hey Bill...look at
that!! It's a semi with no driver!! Let's shoot out a tire or two and
see if we can cause an accident!!"). The possibilities boggle the mind.

GrtArtiste

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

May 23, 2015, 9:52:29 AM5/23/15
The possibilities we see already with human drivers seem
to boggle me enough...these will just be different.

My guess is that the most common mode of failure will be
swearing at the damn things because their software won't let
them proceed for safety reasons.

--
An amateur practices until he gets it right. A pro
practices until he can't get it wrong. -- unknown

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

May 23, 2015, 9:56:54 AM5/23/15
It's less a tech problem than a human problem in a way - if we didn't have people driven cars it seems robot cars might be more acceptable - almost a tech leapfrog issue
Message has been deleted

Ken Olson

May 23, 2015, 10:20:36 PM5/23/15
On 5/23/2015 10:03 PM, Ctrl€/Alt€/Del€© wrote:
> Sweet Jesus, what if Microsoft is involved with the technology? What
> then? You go down a street it doesn't recognize and suddenly your system
> is flooded with malware of all types and it locks the doors on you and
> floors the pedal as you head over a ravine.

Yup. Hackers doing it for giggles.
Message has been deleted

xyzzy

May 23, 2015, 11:36:36 PM5/23/15
The Garmin G1000, which is the avionics and display suite in high end small planes, runs on Windows NT. Software glitches are rare but BSOD has been seen and I know of one guy who got one over the North Atlantic in the clouds because the ferry fuel tanks confused the software (as in: Fuel aboard > capacity? Unpossible, must BSOD immediately!). Though I think Garmin, not Microsoft, is responsible for that glitch.

Wolfie

May 23, 2015, 11:41:57 PM5/23/15
"xyzzy" wrote

> Though I think Garmin, not Microsoft, is responsible for that glitch.

An application should NEVER be able to crash the OS.
If one can, it's a flaw in the OS.

Michael Press

May 24, 2015, 1:53:23 AM5/24/15
In article <mjrh7s$gak$1...@dont-email.me>, "Wolfie" <bgbd...@gte.net>
wrote:
Yes, we know that ever since analyzing TSR.

--
Michael Press

GrtArtiste

May 24, 2015, 7:38:15 AM5/24/15
On 5/23/2015 11:36 PM, xyzzy wrote:
> The Garmin G1000, which is the avionics and display suite in high end small planes, runs on Windows NT. Software glitches are rare but BSOD has been seen and I know of one guy who got one over the North Atlantic in the clouds because the ferry fuel tanks confused the software (as in: Fuel aboard > capacity? Unpossible, must BSOD immediately!). Though I think Garmin, not Microsoft, is responsible for that glitch.

Just wondering...a Pilatus...a Socata TBM or something else...do you know?

GrtArtiste

agavi...@gmail.com

May 24, 2015, 8:59:17 AM5/24/15
Was he in a private, piston driven plane?

Some dued

May 24, 2015, 6:17:23 PM5/24/15
TSR? Terminate and Stay Resident?

xyzzy

May 24, 2015, 9:00:46 PM5/24/15
It was a Cessna 172 with ferry tanks in the back seat.

xyzzy

May 24, 2015, 9:05:33 PM5/24/15
> An application should NEVER be able to crash the OS.
> If one can, it's a flaw in the OS.

In general purpose computing I agree completely but in a customized, embedded application you probably shouldn't judge without knowing what hooks and exits the OS vendor provides to the hardware vendor. IMO.

agavi...@gmail.com

May 24, 2015, 9:33:18 PM5/24/15
Crossing the Atlantic in a 172?

xyzzy

May 24, 2015, 9:49:50 PM5/24/15
"the_andr...@yahoo.com" <agavi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Crossing the Atlantic in a 172?

Yes, there is cottage industry of time building pilots who will ferry
planes across oceans for like $2k plus expenses. They put on survival
suits, put extra gas tanks in the back seat and deliver the planes to
Europe via Newfoundland, Greenland, Iceland, Ireland, etc. It's cheaper and
faster than taking the wings off and shipping them in containers. And with
the experience requirement for airline first officers increased from like
250 hours to like 1500, there are plenty of guys out there bidding for
these jobs, you can rack up 50 hours or more on one of these flights.

agavi...@gmail.com

May 24, 2015, 9:51:15 PM5/24/15
Sounds like fun.

...on a low-hour plane

xyzzy

May 24, 2015, 10:05:33 PM5/24/15
"the_andr...@yahoo.com" <agavi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sounds like fun.
>
> ...on a low-hour plane

Yes the smart ones require a recently overhauled engine.

Michael Press

May 24, 2015, 10:24:12 PM5/24/15
In article <a05a4e3b-b920-403c...@googlegroups.com>,
Some dued <theodo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> TSR? Terminate and Stay Resident?

Yes. When you used TSR it was impossible to guarantee
you would not crash the system.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminate_and_Stay_Resident>

--
Michael Press

Michael Press

May 24, 2015, 10:27:24 PM5/24/15
In article
<342777399454211012.337497...@news.eternal-septem
ber.org>,
Neat.

--
Michael Press

Some dued

May 25, 2015, 11:29:55 PM5/25/15
There was no separation between user and kernel apps at the time though, you could draw on the screen using a pointer to video memory, same for the hard disk controller.

swangdb

May 27, 2015, 1:37:51 PM5/27/15
I wonder, what's the longest distance from land they'll ever be on this trip.

swangdb

May 27, 2015, 1:38:58 PM5/27/15
On Saturday, May 23, 2015 at 8:42:34 AM UTC-5, GrtArtiste wrote:
I wonder if a self-driving Chrysler could drive itself to the garage?

xyzzy

May 27, 2015, 3:10:45 PM5/27/15
Approximately 260 nautical miles, which is approximately 300 statute miles.

http://220kts.com/ferry-flights/atlantic-ferry-routes.html

(that's using the second route at that website, the one labeled "Far Northern Atlantic ferry flight route via BGSF")