Kudos to this Kid

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Mar 29, 2018, 4:11:15 PM3/29/18
Yahoo Sports story: McDonald’s All-American Darius Bazley decommits at Syracuse, becomes first top high school prospect to choose turning professional in the NBA G League.

I hope he becomes a superstar.

michael anderson

Mar 30, 2018, 11:36:33 PM3/30/18
On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 3:11:15 PM UTC-5, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Yahoo Sports story: McDonald’s All-American Darius Bazley decommits at Syracuse, becomes first top high school prospect to choose turning professional in the NBA G League.
>
> I hope he becomes a superstar.

well it will be interesting, but its not like plenty of other high schoolers havent turned pro for the gap year and been first round nba picks. So hes not breaking ground there. The difference is the others picked europe instead of the g-league. Mostly because the G-league pays absolute crap. Salary for non two way players(which he isnt eligible for) caps at 26k. In europe he would make a good bit more, even at 18yo.

Bazley did say in an interview it's "the second best professional league". ummm no. The vast majority of players who barely fail to get in the league go to europe and try to actually earn a living....not toil in the D/now G league.

The key question for any player like Bazley: what kind I do during the gap year to best position myself for the nba draft next year? Most people in his situation pick college. A few have picked europe. He's picking G league.

One concern for Bazley is he's going to be playing against lots of seasoned 23 and 24 year olds. That would be true in europe as well.

For the marvin bagleys and ayton's of the world it really doesnt matter if they spend their gap year in college, the g league, or playing video games. Bagley could have played super mario kart all year in his mom's basement and he was still going to be a top 5 pick. But for that next level of high school seniors(the #7 through 18 or so five stars), the future is more murky...some go to college and do well that first year and put themselves as sure thing lottery picks the next year. Others don't and cant stay in the first round and/or have to go back to college for their next year

dnrapp

Mar 31, 2018, 12:07:08 PM3/31/18
On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 8:36:33 PM UTC-7, michael anderson wrote:
> On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 3:11:15 PM UTC-5, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Yahoo Sports story: McDonald’s All-American Darius Bazley decommits at Syracuse, becomes first top high school prospect to choose turning professional in the NBA G League.
> >
> > I hope he becomes a superstar.
>
> well it will be interesting, but its not like plenty of other high schoolers havent turned pro for the gap year and been first round nba picks. So hes not breaking ground there. The difference is the others picked europe instead of the g-league. Mostly because the G-league pays absolute crap. Salary for non two way players(which he isnt eligible for) caps at 26k. In europe he would make a good bit more, even at 18yo.

Yes the G league salary is caped at 26k. However he will sign with an agent and get money from him and will also sign some kind of shoe deal. So he will make more than the 26k Would he have made more going to Europe? Probably. but then he would be playing against men in Europe, while in the G league he will be playing with players in their early 20's.

unclejr

Mar 31, 2018, 1:06:55 PM3/31/18
On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 3:11:15 PM UTC-5, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Yahoo Sports story: McDonald’s All-American Darius Bazley decommits at Syracuse, becomes first top high school prospect to choose turning professional in the NBA G League.
>
> I hope he becomes a superstar.

Deer Lowered. G stands for Gatorade; I just looked it up.

michael anderson

Mar 31, 2018, 1:21:20 PM3/31/18
On Saturday, March 31, 2018 at 11:07:08 AM UTC-5, dnrapp wrote:
> On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 8:36:33 PM UTC-7, michael anderson wrote:
> > On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 3:11:15 PM UTC-5, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > > Yahoo Sports story: McDonald’s All-American Darius Bazley decommits at Syracuse, becomes first top high school prospect to choose turning professional in the NBA G League.
> > >
> > > I hope he becomes a superstar.
> >
> > well it will be interesting, but its not like plenty of other high schoolers havent turned pro for the gap year and been first round nba picks. So hes not breaking ground there. The difference is the others picked europe instead of the g-league. Mostly because the G-league pays absolute crap. Salary for non two way players(which he isnt eligible for) caps at 26k. In europe he would make a good bit more, even at 18yo.
> >

> Yes the G league salary is caped at 26k. However he will sign with an agent and get money from him and will also sign some kind of shoe deal. So he will make more than the 26k

all that applies to Europe as well, and honestly the exposure and name rec building in both is probably a wash. I cant name any/many 18-23 players in Europe(except people like the soon to be top 3 draft pick), but the same can be said for the g league...

>Would he have made more going to Europe? Probably. but then he would be >playing against men in Europe, while in the G league he will be playing with players in their early 20's.

And in college he would have been playing against even younger players.

And a lot would have depended with what European league he signed with. lots of variance between them.

That said, I don't know the best route for the gap year for these type of players. Like I said for a bagley/Ayton type it doesn't matter what they do. But for a kid like this(who definitely has lottery pick potential in 2019 but it isn't a sure thing that he goes lottery) I'm not sure what the best route is. I think college will be what the majority of them will do...