RSFC Edict

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Jul 30, 2018, 2:10:32 PM7/30/18
As straws are a menace to society, and possibly, turtles, but we don’t really know.

As Americans use a minimum of 500,000 straws per day, or 182,500,000 per year and throw them all into the ocean, or, at least, rivers, that we all know flow into the ocean, which is where the turtles live. Being there also turtles in the lakes and rivers, but they are less photogenic, therefore difficult to anthropomorphosize in Disney films, therefore we don’t care about them.

Herefore forthwith and other fore-ish terms, straws are banned from RSFC.

Our straw buyback program begins at city hall immediately.

There is a two day grace period for those who are currently practicing their rights, which are endowed by the mob. Afterward straw rights will be revoked and those found in possession of said contraband will be shot.

No more straws.

For the turtles (the cute ones).

For science.

For Gaia.

xyzzy

Jul 30, 2018, 2:43:48 PM7/30/18
Someone tweeted some motivational meme about not letting people tell you what you can't do. Fiancee responded with "What if I just want to use a plastic straw?"

Poking people on our own "side" with sarcasm is one of our shared interests

JGibson

Jul 30, 2018, 3:15:42 PM7/30/18
I'm in trouble. We have a ton of straws. All to help my then 3/4-year old get stronger mouth muscles. His speech was a little off and having him drink milkshakes through a straw was a recommended way of helping him.

jim brown

Jul 30, 2018, 3:39:08 PM7/30/18
The idiocy of this straw thing...I had cardboard straws in my Moscow mules in Chicago this weedend, as I am a big proponent of me using straws to drink refreshing liquids, and they would last about half a drink before they imploded from moisture and caved in with suction.

The amount of plastic this country wastes, straws gotta be .00004 percent of it.

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Jul 30, 2018, 3:43:10 PM7/30/18
That’s a pretty cool therapy. We have a local burger joint that makes shakes that are impossible to drink through a straw. He needs one of those shakes.

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Jul 30, 2018, 3:43:33 PM7/30/18
I despise paper straws.

Boris Hall

Jul 30, 2018, 4:05:22 PM7/30/18
This falls in with the "you have to cut all the rings in your plastic six-pack holder because animals get caught in them."

That there is a problem isn't disputed since there is much evidence of animals in distress from discarded items. The real problem is that feel-good solutions like banning plastic straws do have an impact that people don't think about when they come up with these plans. As JGibson points out, they are good for physical therapy for some people. There are other people with motor-control disabilities who can't easily lift a glass to their mouth to drink and who rely on having straws available. Not everyone has the ability to carry their own stainless steel straw with them (or clean them after use) to restaurants and other places. There are a lot of unintended consequences that some of these "simple" solutions bring out.

xyzzy

Jul 30, 2018, 4:20:46 PM7/30/18
On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 3:43:33 PM UTC-4, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I despise paper straws.

Ted's Montana Grill has used them for years. They're OK but not as good as the plastic ones.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Jul 30, 2018, 4:24:12 PM7/30/18
On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 12:43:31 -0700 (PDT), "the_andr...@yahoo.com"
<the_andr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I despise paper straws.

Few people are old enough to remember the last time I used a straw.

Hugh

Some dued

Jul 30, 2018, 4:29:22 PM7/30/18
I've noticed some insecure men think refusal to use a straw demonstrates their virility.

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Jul 30, 2018, 4:37:25 PM7/30/18
They’re like sticking a napkin in your mouth.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Jul 31, 2018, 9:51:41 AM7/31/18
On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 13:29:20 -0700 (PDT), Some dued
<theodo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I've noticed some insecure men think refusal to use a straw demonstrates their virility.

I'm insecure - my secret is out.

But why are you interested in my virility?

Hugh

Some dued

Jul 31, 2018, 10:19:21 AM7/31/18
What can I say, you are just endlessly fascinating.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Jul 31, 2018, 11:40:05 AM7/31/18
On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 07:19:19 -0700 (PDT), Some dued
<theodo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>What can I say, you are just endlessly fascinating.

You'll have to get in line...

Hugh

Mercellus Bohren

Jul 31, 2018, 1:23:55 PM7/31/18
On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 4:05:22 PM UTC-4, Boris Hall wrote:
> This falls in with the "you have to cut all the rings in your plastic six-pack holder because animals get caught in them."

When I saw the picture of a dead seabird stuck in a plastic six-pack holder, I decided to tear through all the rings from that point forward. I know it's dumb, but it makes me feel better. It's also good exercise, if you don't use scissors and just tear them open with your bare hands.

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Jul 31, 2018, 1:25:31 PM7/31/18
There are literally 1000s of dead sea birds in a pile the size of the state of Texas (in some place you are unable to see).

J. Hugh Sullivan

Jul 31, 2018, 1:28:04 PM7/31/18
On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 10:23:53 -0700 (PDT), Mercellus Bohren
<merce...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 4:05:22 PM UTC-4, Boris Hall wrote:
>> This falls in with the "you have to cut all the rings in your plastic six=
>-pack holder because animals get caught in them."
>>=20
>When I saw the picture of a dead seabird stuck in a plastic six-pack holder=
>, I decided to tear through all the rings from that point forward. I know i=
>t's dumb, but it makes me feel better. It's also good exercise, if you don'=
>t use scissors and just tear them open with your bare hands.

Good on ye.

Hugh

Ken Olson

Jul 31, 2018, 5:44:44 PM7/31/18
I like the bare handed approach when possible.

--
"We're going to fight racism not with racism, but we're going to fight
with solidarity."

"A sword is never a killer. It is a tool in the killer's hand."
- Seneca

"The hate rolls off my back like hygiene off of Michael Moore."
- Ted Nugent