The other side of police shootings

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Aug 2, 2015, 10:14:12 PM8/2/15

J. Hugh Sullivan

Aug 2, 2015, 10:55:22 PM8/2/15
Due to posts by a few people here, does it really matter since the cop
was not black?

If the perp is black will the Half White House issue a Certificate of
Achievement?

Hugh

andre...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2015, 9:57:10 AM8/3/15
On Sunday, August 2, 2015 at 10:14:12 PM UTC-4, The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior wrote:
> is when the cop gets shot during a traffic stop
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/memphis-police-officer-fatally-shot-during-traffic-stop-050151418.html#

This sort of false equivalence is a new low for you.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Aug 3, 2015, 10:09:40 AM8/3/15
Shootings by police are an enormous problem - and this is the other side of the coin.

One does not preclude the other - and no one is saying they're "equal"

andre...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2015, 10:36:55 AM8/3/15
One side of the coin is in a 33% decline. The other side is up 117%.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Aug 3, 2015, 10:42:37 AM8/3/15
Yes - excellent stat - and there's certainly a negative feedback loop in both directions.

andre...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2015, 10:44:37 AM8/3/15
Let's correct that using the same order CH used:

One side of the coin is up 117%. The other side is in a 33% decline.

We know policing is dangerous work--even though it's not even the most dangerous job out there. But by saying "The other side of police shootings" suggests that police are *more* at risk than they've been in the past, when in fact, the opposite is true. And bringing it up when there has been a focus on police shootings--when, in fact, police shootings are up *astronomically*--suggests strongly, like it or not, that the two issues should have equal weight.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Aug 3, 2015, 10:51:41 AM8/3/15
Or it could suggest that sometimes we only focus one side of an issue - and for every issue there are at minimum two sides - and we tend to gloss over all the other parts of the whole and by looking at the whole, perhaps we can get a better picture.

We have spent a LOT of time here on shootings by police - worth remembering that sometimes police get shot.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Aug 3, 2015, 12:43:56 PM8/3/15
Another wonder of the world... Dre admits there are TWO sides.

NOW maybe y'all can discuss possible solutions. WE already know the
reasons and he is not wrong about those - just about the uniqueness of
being one-sided.

Hugh