This stoopid 'Targeting" rule

Futbol Phan

Oct 31, 2015, 9:56:13 PM10/31/15
is being interpreted in totally inconsistent ways. Needs to be changed ASAP.

Having watched Bolden from Michigan get tossed vs MSU for targeting two weeks ago after being pushed onto the QB, and now seeing Minny's LB nearly take Rudock's head off with a helmet-to-helmet and not even get called for a personal foul, I have absolutely no idea what the rule even is...

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Nov 1, 2015, 7:04:19 AM11/1/15
On Saturday, October 31, 2015 at 8:56:13 PM UTC-5, Futbol Phan wrote:
> is being interpreted in totally inconsistent ways. Needs to be changed ASAP.
>
> Having watched Bolden from Michigan get tossed vs MSU for targeting two weeks ago after being pushed onto the QB, and now seeing Minny's LB nearly take Rudock's head off with a helmet-to-helmet and not even get called for a personal foul, I have absolutely no idea what the rule even is...

Part is the intent of the angle of the hit - I'm thinking the ND/Temple game where the ND safety clearly lead with his head to the Temple receiver's head.

Not to defend the Minnie play - but it appeared to me, when I saw it, that Ruddock's angle was being changed at the Minnie lb came in. Think being blocked into a punter.

But you're correct - it does need to be clarified

J. Hugh Sullivan

Nov 1, 2015, 7:55:26 AM11/1/15
On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 18:56:08 -0700 (PDT), Futbol Phan
<sgz...@gmail.com> wrote:

>is being interpreted in totally inconsistent ways. Needs to be changed ASA=
>P.
>
>Having watched Bolden from Michigan get tossed vs MSU for targeting two wee=
>ks ago after being pushed onto the QB, and now seeing Minny's LB nearly tak=
>e Rudock's head off with a helmet-to-helmet and not even get called for a p=
>ersonal foul, I have absolutely no idea what the rule even is...

I'm guessing but I supposed the intent of the rule is to eliminate
judgement by the official, i. e., helmet on helmet is targeting even
if an accident.

Target, to me, implies intention. I prefer judgement. But there was no
replay when I was a ref.

Hugh

Michael Press

Nov 1, 2015, 2:13:40 PM11/1/15
In article <52e43541-7539-4b9e...@googlegroups.com>,
Futbol Phan <sgz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> is being interpreted in totally inconsistent ways. Needs to be changed ASAP.
>
> Having watched Bolden from Michigan get tossed vs MSU for targeting two weeks ago after being pushed onto the QB, and now seeing Minny's LB nearly take Rudock's head off with a helmet-to-helmet and not even get called for a personal foul, I have absolutely no idea what the rule even is...

Of course they're targeting. That's the point.

--
Michael Press

Futbol Phan

Nov 1, 2015, 10:47:09 PM11/1/15
There was actually a play in the first half when Rudock was running OOB and took a helmet to the jaw that was even more blatant (and clearly intentional, given the way the player launched himself).

Ken Olson

Nov 1, 2015, 10:54:31 PM11/1/15
The rule seems too vague to be applied anything near to uniformity. I'm
a Spartan and I didn't think that the call against Bolden was a good one.