Why I'm an optimist

dotsla...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2017, 6:07:08 PM8/4/17
http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/04/us/bikers-escort-bullied-kid-to-school-trnd/index.html

Most folks, deep down, are good folks. Sending this to my badass harley riding cut-n-shootin dad - dude used to pick me up from pre-K on his harley, both of us sans helmet - illegal, fo sho - and you can believe my peers were in serious jealous mode.

Cheers.

Eric Ramon

Aug 4, 2017, 7:14:38 PM8/4/17
speaking of no helmets....I can't believe the things I did in college. That was one of them. 70 mph on a motorcycle, no helmet. Makes me shiver now.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Aug 4, 2017, 7:37:53 PM8/4/17
On Fri, 4 Aug 2017 15:07:05 -0700 (PDT), dotsla...@gmail.com
wrote:

>http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/04/us/bikers-escort-bullied-kid-to-school-trnd/index.html
>
>Most folks, deep down, are good folks. Sending this to my badass harley riding cut-n-shootin dad - dude used to pick me up from pre-K on his harley, both of us sans helmet - illegal, fo sho - and you can believe my peers were in serious jealous mode.
>
>Cheers.

Did you forget to mention that government was not involved?

Hugh

---
http://www.avg.com

dotsla...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2017, 7:51:36 PM8/4/17
No government involvement. That people are charitable outside of guv is a given.

That folks, in spite of all that, will fall through the cracks without a comprehensive safety net is also a given.
That the greatest correlation to "being a 1% earner" is "being born to wealth" is also a given.

Work forward from those truths and apply justice - true equity of opportunity. You'll find a society worth living in - one that folks will cross the rio grande to get into, just so their *children* will have those sorts of opportunities.

What the GOP has done since 1980 around coddling rich folk - and the impact its had on the middle class in terms of the growing gap in both income and wealth distribution - that's the place the gop gets things exactly backwards.

And it's also the story of our times. Everything else is bullshit noise to keep you from seeing that. Do you understand how vanishingly small the percentage of congresscritters - on either side - who actually care passionately about healthcare or roe actually is?

Small, dude. Vanishingly small.

Cheers.

jim brown

Aug 5, 2017, 12:29:07 AM8/5/17
I have a street bike which I rarely ride and several dirt bikes which I ride at least once a week...but no helmet.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Aug 5, 2017, 9:50:14 AM8/5/17
On Fri, 4 Aug 2017 16:51:32 -0700 (PDT), dotsla...@gmail.com
wrote:

>No government involvement. That people are charitable outside of guv is a =
>given.

No matter how much libs try to force equality beyond equal opportunity
there will always be inequality between worthy worthless.

Liberals are insistent on reducing worthy, responsible people to the
Lowest Common Denominator. Libs are tired of being inferior as a
general rule.

I could read a book on boxing band I still Would not be a challenge to
Andre Ward. But libs would save me by putting lead in my gloves and
drugginh Ward.

>That folks, in spite of all that, will fall through the cracks without a co=
>mprehensive safety net is also a given.

All a competent person needs is opportunity. Some of us have too much
pride and ability to accept a safety net. Liberals require the net.

>That the greatest correlation to "being a 1% earner" is "being born to weal=
>th" is also a given.

That they will keep it is not.

>Work forward from those truths and apply justice - true equity of opportuni=
>ty.

Liberals should heed that advice. They do injustice to some to help
too many who are already getting exactly what they deserve.

>You'll find a society worth living in - one that folks will cross the =
>rio grande to get into, just so their *children* will have those sorts of o=
>pportunities.

If you promised me a good living without my effort I would refuse. I
want to compete with you. At my age you libs would have a chance.

>What the GOP has done since 1980 around coddling rich folk - and the impact=
> its had on the middle class in terms of the growing gap in both income and=
> wealth distribution - that's the place the gop gets things exactly backwar=
>ds.

Rich folk are "coddled" because they are the only ones who can make
others rich. The poor and worthless can't.

>And it's also the story of our times. Everything else is bullshit noise to=
> keep you from seeing that. Do you understand how vanishingly small the pe=
>rcentage of congresscritters - on either side - who actually care passionat=
>ely about healthcare or roe actually is?

Unfortunately it is the story of out times. We got along better even
with slavery than we do now. The war we are fighting is just different
- people don't get killed or self-destruct quite as fast.

Since you appear to need a safety net tell government to back off and
those of us who are not so incompetent will be glad to help. But we're
not good enough to make Ton of Kotex or wolfie a silk purse.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Aug 5, 2017, 9:56:05 AM8/5/17
Try playing football with a leather helmet and no face mask. What's a
cup jock.

Try playing soccer on half a b'ball court with no rules and in gym
shorts.

Or playing 2 hand touch football barefoot on frozen ground for 3
hours.

It's like hitting yourself on the head with a hammer because it feels
so good when you stop.

dotsla...@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2017, 11:05:00 AM8/5/17
It's weird how you just can't comprehend someone being charitable without needing charity, hugh. It seems to go beyond even your general inability to logic.

You should see someone about that. Maybe Mia is taking new patients.

Cheers.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Aug 5, 2017, 4:01:29 PM8/5/17
On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 08:04:56 -0700 (PDT), dotsla...@gmail.com
wrote:

>It's weird how you just can't comprehend someone being charitable without needing charity, hugh. It seems to go beyond even your general inability to logic.

I even comprehend the difference between those who deserve charity and
those who don't. That high level of intelligence is obviously an
incomprehensible problem for you.

But I'll admit I only contribute money to about a dozen charities -
Boys Town, Salvation Army, 2 American Indian Schools, 3 churches and
several health research groups.

>You should see someone about that. Maybe Mia is taking new patients.

I did see a psych once - she said I was the most persuasive person she
ever met. My wife would not let me go again. I'm sure I could help
you, too.

dotsla...@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2017, 6:09:05 PM8/5/17
"I even comprehend the difference between those who deserve charity and
those who don't."

Thanks, hugh. I couldn't have done a better job of illustrating why private charity isn't enough - full of mediocre shits - puffed up in importance only in their own wishful imaginations - who make themselves feel better by identifying which people are "undeserving".

Jesus warned us about judgemental morons like that. Can't imagine he's thrilled about a lot of what goes on "in his name".

Cheers.

Ken Olson

Aug 5, 2017, 7:57:19 PM8/5/17
When I was in high school wrestling we occasionally played a game called
"Grappler Ball". It was like basketball except you didn't have to
dribble and there weren't any fouls.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Aug 6, 2017, 7:21:57 AM8/6/17
On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 15:09:02 -0700 (PDT), dotsla...@gmail.com
wrote:

>"I even comprehend the difference between those who deserve charity and
>those who don't."
>
>Thanks, hugh. I couldn't have done a better job of illustrating why privat=
>e charity isn't enough - full of mediocre shits - puffed up in importance o=
>nly in their own wishful imaginations - who make themselves feel better by =
>identifying which people are "undeserving".

You obviously will never be intelligent enough to comprehend that some
of us had the responsibility of determining who played on the first
string in football and baseball, who got promoted or received salary
increases at work and awarded grades based on judgement of a student's
performance. That's judgement and I got paid for it. Judging whether a
person has made an effort should be simple enough even for liberals.
Obviously even that is not simple enough for them.

I don't know if you even earn a living or whether I help support you.

>Jesus warned us about judgemental morons like that. Can't imagine he's thr=
>illed about a lot of what goes on "in his name".

You can't even interpret the Bible. "Judge not lest ye be judged"...
First we WILL be judged; second it says judging is not a problem if
you don't fear judgement.

Of course those who let others make up their mind for them will not
agree with the second part.

Some dued

Aug 6, 2017, 11:55:02 AM8/6/17
What a tool.

darkst...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2017, 2:48:31 PM8/6/17
On Friday, August 4, 2017 at 3:07:08 PM UTC-7, dotsla...@gmail.com wrote:
There's a reason this story makes the news when it happens.

Why? Your premise is COMPLETELY WRONG.

Mike

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Aug 7, 2017, 12:21:16 PM8/7/17
Right on - for both the linked story and yours