The glamorous life of a diesel tech

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Dec 31, 2015, 9:22:52 AM12/31/15

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Dec 31, 2015, 9:59:18 AM12/31/15
On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 8:22:52 AM UTC-6, The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior wrote:
> good read
>
> https://www.clarkcollegefoundation.org/captain/

Very nice. thanx!

michael anderson

Dec 31, 2015, 10:01:25 AM12/31/15
On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 6:22:52 AM UTC-8, The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior wrote:
> good read
>
> https://www.clarkcollegefoundation.org/captain/

unfortunately, the rapid proliferation(and maintenance) of various govt paper pusher jobs has always drove down interest in skilled trades. The dream of 'getting on' with bigfed pushing papers, building up that absurd pension and benefits, having tons of time off and not working very hard with near complete job security will usually trump working hard in an honest skilled trade providing a valuable and needed service.

Even when the money is initially better in the skilled trade(I had an underwater welder patient this month who made over 220k this year), the perks and draw of the useless govt paper pusher job is often too strong.

xyzzy

Dec 31, 2015, 12:05:45 PM12/31/15
+1

Sounds like a Mike Rowe story.

xyzzy

Dec 31, 2015, 12:07:44 PM12/31/15
Alaska diesel mechanic vs "govt paper pusher". Somehow I doubt those jobs appeal to the same set of people.

But don't worry I'm sure the govt needs diesel mechanics too, if she wanted to go that route.

agavi...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2015, 2:11:52 PM12/31/15
Been around diesel mechanics all my life and that is far, far, far, and away the best looking one I've ever seen.

Thomas R. Kettler

Dec 31, 2015, 6:35:29 PM12/31/15
In article <ea1af69b-d4c2-40b6...@googlegroups.com>,
"The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior" <Iamtj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> good read
>
> https://www.clarkcollegefoundation.org/captain/

Are you sure that this isn't a story of a Diesel Fitter?
--
Remove blown from email address to reply.

michael anderson

Jan 1, 2016, 11:52:32 AM1/1/16
On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 11:07:44 AM UTC-6, xyzzy wrote:
> Alaska diesel mechanic vs "govt paper pusher". Somehow I doubt those jobs appeal to the same set of people.

hey people in Alaska clamor for govt jobs too....they have a high per capita ratio of govt employees I thought I read once.

xyzzy

Jan 1, 2016, 6:01:18 PM1/1/16
Sure they do. But the kind of govt jobs they do aren't the same kind of govt jobs you're talking about. Lots of military bases, park rangers, snowplow drivers, etc. Oh and diesel mechanics. Which was my point.

xyzzy

Jan 1, 2016, 6:13:32 PM1/1/16
Btw, for grins:

https://www.usajobs.gov/Search?Keyword=&Location=Alaska&homeRadPublic=public&search=Search&AutoCompleteSelected=true&CanSeekStatusJobs=False

The list of job titles on the first page is currently (I've marked the ones that could possibly be paper pushers with a *, but also look for the !!!'s):

Fish and Wildlife Biologist
Cook
Cook
Sheet Metal Mechanic
Aircraft Mechanic
Surface Maintenance Mechanic Inspector (*)
Botanist
Custodial Worker
Laborer
Deckhand
Medical Support Assistant
Lifeguard
Lead Child and Youth Program Assistant (*)
Bartender (!!!)
Social Worker (*)
Pharmacist
Food Service Worker
Physician (Psychiatry), hey that's you!!!
Flight Engineer Instructor
Physician (Internal Medicine)
Physician (Pediatrics)
Hotel Desk Clerk
Aircraft Engine Mechanic
Physician (Family Practice)
Supply Clerk (*)

michael anderson

Jan 2, 2016, 3:33:24 PM1/2/16
they would have to pay me a lot more than what that job caps out at for me to work in the frigid cold of alaska....

xyzzy

Jan 2, 2016, 4:09:09 PM1/2/16
Current temp in Anchorage Alaska: 45 degrees
Current temp in Birmingham, Alabama: 46 degrees

(yes I know one data point isn't a trend :)

Ken Olson

Jan 4, 2016, 11:36:41 AM1/4/16
It is frequently colder in Michigan than Anchorage.

xyzzy

Jan 4, 2016, 5:40:05 PM1/4/16
Anchorage can be pretty mild, it's warmed by ocean currents. Over half of Alaska's population lives there, btw. If you really want to use an example of a frigid Alaska city, Fairbanks is your place.

Alaska is uuuuuge. Its geography ranges from "a bit north of Seattle" to "the frozen Arctic tundra"