How hard is it

Some dued

Jun 28, 2017, 11:50:59 PM6/28/17
To test fire into another book to see if the bullet goes all the way through first?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40438207

agavi...@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2017, 12:59:36 AM6/29/17
A .50?

That's top shelf stupid.

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Jun 29, 2017, 5:45:28 AM6/29/17
Ayup.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Jun 29, 2017, 8:40:35 AM6/29/17
On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 10:50:59 PM UTC-5, Some dued wrote:
> To test fire into another book to see if the bullet goes all the way through first?
>
> http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40438207

Please tell me the book was "Evolution of Species"

agavi...@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2017, 8:44:44 AM6/29/17
POTD

J. Hugh Sullivan

Jun 29, 2017, 9:08:25 AM6/29/17
On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 20:50:55 -0700 (PDT), Some dued
<theodo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>To test fire into another book to see if the bullet goes all the way through first?

A typical liberal response. NOW you think about that.

Hugh

---
http://www.avg.com

xyzzy

Jun 29, 2017, 9:10:56 AM6/29/17
On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 11:50:59 PM UTC-4, Some dued wrote:
> To test fire into another book to see if the bullet goes all the way through first?
>
> http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40438207

There was a dude in my dorm at VT who was a proud SC redneck. When he dropped out, he took his calculus book out and shot a bunch of holes through it. There was no social media then but he did take pictures and I remember thinking that the holes were smaller than I expected. He had to open the book (butterfly it, for you steak cooks), to get the bullets to go all the way through.

agavi...@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2017, 10:13:53 AM6/29/17
He didn't want to give the bookstore the ability to magically reduce and increase the value of that book by simply transferring ownership?

xyzzy

Jun 29, 2017, 10:18:33 AM6/29/17
On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 10:13:53 AM UTC-4, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> He didn't want to give the bookstore the ability to magically reduce and increase the value of that book by simply transferring ownership?

Yeah, that was a serious racket. Have millennials figured out a way around it yet? Probably involving the internet?

dotsla...@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2017, 10:37:34 AM6/29/17
Been taking classes at uw - in almost every case I was able to lease the required book (s) for several months for about 25-40% of the normal purchase price.

Several nameless friends just tracked down pdf copies online and never paid anything. Don't agree with doing that, but I have a stack of books from when I was in grad school that I wasn't willing to sell back at the ridiculous price they offered but also haven't touched since. The rental method makes a lot of sense, to me.

CS courses, so may be a little out ahead of the curve.

I'm guessing we'll get to a place where college kids will pay an annual membership fee and get access to all the textbooks they need in some e-format - and it'll still be too expensive, but not as bad as we had it. Bendover Prime.

Cheers.

Marty McMahone

Jun 29, 2017, 10:57:17 AM6/29/17
Lot of buy and selling happens on Amazon or Ebay now. I don't think all that many just sell back to the bookstore.

There has also been a movement toward renting textbooks (still pretty expensive) and the use of online texts. I did a summer project a few years ago when I eventually ended up just writing a text for our business math class. The old text was over $200, which was part of what prompted our decision to do something. I have an online publisher who publishes it for about $60.

There's even been some movement toward free online texts, but they are mostly in very general classes.

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

Jun 29, 2017, 12:47:20 PM6/29/17
Maybe a .22 or .32 or even a .38. When it's a .50, you wouldn't need to do that.

--
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters
will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks

J. Hugh Sullivan

Jun 29, 2017, 2:04:47 PM6/29/17
On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 07:57:13 -0700 (PDT), Marty McMahone
<mmcma...@hot.rr.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 9:18:33 AM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
>> On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 10:13:53 AM UTC-4, the_andr...@yahoo.com wr=
>ote:
>> > He didn't want to give the bookstore the ability to magically reduce an=
>d increase the value of that book by simply transferring ownership?
>>
>> Yeah, that was a serious racket. Have millennials figured out a way arou=
>nd it yet? Probably involving the internet?
>
>Lot of buy and selling happens on Amazon or Ebay now. I don't think all th=
>at many just sell back to the bookstore.
>
>There has also been a movement toward renting textbooks (still pretty expen=
>sive) and the use of online texts. I did a summer project a few years ago =
>when I eventually ended up just writing a text for our business math class.=
> The old text was over $200, which was part of what prompted our decision t=
>o do something. I have an online publisher who publishes it for about $60.=
>

>There's even been some movement toward free online texts, but they are most=
>ly in very general classes.

All that sounds so strange to a WWII vet who got all his text books
free - or did until my wife started college 2 years later and we had
to pay for hers.

xyzzy

Jun 29, 2017, 2:53:26 PM6/29/17
On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 12:47:20 PM UTC-4, Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:
> On 2017-06-29, xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 11:50:59 PM UTC-4, Some dued wrote:
> >> To test fire into another book to see if the bullet goes all the way through first?
> >>
> >> http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40438207
> >
> > There was a dude in my dorm at VT who was a proud SC redneck. When he
> > dropped out, he took his calculus book out and shot a bunch of holes
> > through it. There was no social media then but he did take pictures
> > and I remember thinking that the holes were smaller than I expected.
> > He had to open the book (butterfly it, for you steak cooks), to get
> > the bullets to go all the way through.
>
> Maybe a .22 or .32 or even a .38. When it's a .50, you wouldn't need to do that.

I won't doubt you're right... as the couple referenced in the OP learned to their grief

But it was a pretty thick textbook.

Ken Olson

Jun 29, 2017, 3:15:29 PM6/29/17
On 6/28/2017 11:50 PM, Some dued wrote:
> To test fire into another book to see if the bullet goes all the way through first?
>
> http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40438207

http://www.ballistics101.com/50_ae.php

agavi...@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2017, 5:46:20 PM6/29/17
Muzzle energy. Big numbers.

My first thought was that it was the heavy rifle round at about 10x those numbers. Then I realized nobody that owns .50 rifle is going to hold a book on the business end of that rifle.

Some dued

Jun 29, 2017, 5:47:20 PM6/29/17
Here the latest solution to expensive texts: https://openstax.org

JGibson

Jun 29, 2017, 7:55:20 PM6/29/17
On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 5:47:20 PM UTC-4, Some dued wrote:
> Here the latest solution to expensive texts: https://openstax.org

Oh, Open Stax. I was about to ask what an Opens Tax was.

Ken Olson

Jun 29, 2017, 8:26:51 PM6/29/17
On 6/29/2017 5:46 PM, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Muzzle energy. Big numbers.
>
> My first thought was that it was the heavy rifle round at about 10x those numbers. Then I realized nobody that owns .50 rifle is going to hold a book on the business end of that rifle.

With a .50 BMG the exit hole would be very large.

Some dued

Jun 29, 2017, 8:54:16 PM6/29/17
All the good domain names are already taken.