未读,
2017年6月1日 12:40:482017/6/1
收件人
On 6/1/2017 12:06 PM, JGibson wrote:
> http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/05/30/530708793/three-mile-island-nuclear-power-plant-to-shut-down-in-2019

"The company that owns the Three Mile Island nuclear plant, site of the
worst nuclear disaster in U.S. history, announced that it plans to
shutter the facility in 2019 unless the state of Pennsylvania steps in
to keep it open."

Meaning give us money. Owner is Exelon, one of the largest utilities in
the world. Bought TMI from General Public Utilities around year 2000 for
$25 million and GPU agreed to finance fuel costs. Not sure of the
original cost, but I suspect it was north of $1 billion.

Utility competition and the free market removed the social benefits
component out of the hands of the regulators. Even if you do not believe
in anthropogenic climate change, retiring well-performing nuclear plants
and replacing their energy production with primarily natural gas and
coal does not make a lot of sense.

--
False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul
with evil.

Pennsylvania - Tá sé difriúil anseo.

J. Hugh Sullivan

未读,
2017年6月1日 14:12:232017/6/1
收件人
On Thu, 1 Jun 2017 12:40:51 -0400, RoddyMcCorley
<Roddy.M...@verizon.net> wrote:

>Utility competition and the free market removed the social benefits
>Even if you do not believe
>in anthropogenic climate change, retiring well-performing nuclear plants
>and replacing their energy production with primarily natural gas and
>coal does not make a lot of sense.

Seems to me we need a source of energy that recreates faster than
fossil fuels.

Since I am not privy to the details why are not wind, solar and
nuclear the answer?

Hugh

---
http://www.avg.com

dotsla...@gmail.com

未读,
2017年6月1日 14:22:182017/6/1
收件人
I think you need to really bucket wind / solar differently than nuclear / nat gas / coal - mainly because with the first group the source input is so variable and you usually have much higher requirements around storing up against a calm, rainy day.

Or night.

Cheers.
0 个新帖子