No Respect

Bill Winchester

Dec 10, 1990, 2:35:44 PM12/10/90

San Jose State gets no respect!

Yea! I know, there are a lot of division 1 teams that can make the same
statement, but consider this. San Jose's preseason record was pretty good.

SJSU 10 - Louisville 10 tie even two missed fg's
SJSU 17 - Washington 20 loss -3 kicking game still bad
SJSU 29 - Stanford 23 win +6 qb Martini hot
SJSU 35 - California 36 loss -1 1 pt kick would tie

Quarterback Ralph Martini is Sports Illustrated's offensive player of the week
for the Stanford game.

Then they trashed the Big West 7-0,

(The Big who ??)

including Fresno State 42-7. The kicking game is alive and well.
Paul Franklin is Sports Illustrated's defensive player of the week.

Then they trashed the Mid America Conference representative; Central
Michigan 48-24 in the California Raisin Bowl.

Which bowl ?? Mid what ?? Central who ??

According to various sources, Running Back Sheldon Canley is the first
player in NCAA history to average 200 all purpose yards per game two years
in a row.

They were 4 points away from a 11-0-1 season, 5 points from a 12-0 season.

Their season ended up 9-2-1.

I think that San Jose is one of the top 25 teams in the nation, but because
the Big West is tied to the Raisin Bowl and the Mid America Conference, no
one knows about it. According to a San Jose Mercury News poll of the sports
writers, who will vote in the AP final poll, San Jose State will not be
voted in the top 25 because of their weak schedule and the early date of
the California Raisin Bowl. Too bad! Maybe a rematch with Louisville would
have given them more respect.

San Jose's return to the Big West Championship is directly attributable to
to the return of Terry Shay(sp) to their program. This time as head coach.
Maybe some of you remember SJSU's 1976 season which included Sports
Illustrated's Most Exciting Game, the 45-42 barn burner with visiting
Fresno State. Terry was Offensive Coordinator for that season.
I think that he influenced their super effective offensive style for 1976
and 77. I, for one, am glad he's back.

GO SPARTANS

Bill Winchester

Bill Winchester

Dec 11, 1990, 11:10:01 AM12/11/90
/ hpihoah:rec.sport.football.college / wi...@hpihoah.cup.hp.com (Bill Winchester) / 11:35 am Dec 10, 1990 /

>San Jose's return to the Big West Championship is directly attributable to
>to the return of Terry Shay(sp) to their program. This time as head coach.

^^^^
Shea (Sorry Terry!)

GO SPARTANS

Bill Winchester