Bizness travel dilemma

xyzzy

Sep 29, 2015, 11:33:14 PM9/29/15
You have to fly to an international city. Your choices are:

Airline 1:
--Good on time and basic reliability reputation.
--Old, tired planes with few amenities (e.g. Entertainment on a pull-down screen instead of personal TVs, no power outlets, small overhead bins, etc)
--Greedy-ass policies at every turn (e.g. Every aisle seat is a premium seat, boarding order guarantees unless you're premium you won't get overhead bin space, etc)
In other words you're pretty much guaranteed an uncomfortable experience BUT
--More direct flights. 0 or 1 connections.

Airline 2
-- Also a Good on time and basic reliability reputation.
-- New planes with personal TVs and on demand movies, power outlets, generous overhead bin space, nice seats
-- Fair seating so that you can actually get a decent seat even though you aren't paying extra or aren't Triple Executive Ruby Platinum. In other words it will be a much better experience BUT
-- You have to make 2 or even more connections to complete the flight.

What's your choice?

Mine is the first one. Every time. I'll put up with a lot to avoid connections.

(American knows this. As anyone who has flown their RDU-LHR route knows)

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Sep 30, 2015, 12:20:12 AM9/30/15
(DL will start RDU-CDG soon, using a 757.)

I like connections, but I'm an odd duck. I've flown OMA-DFW-ORD-TYS (so I could ride a 777), DFW-IAH-OMA and OMA-MSP-DFW before, and next month I'm going OMA-ORD-DFW just so I can be on a 787-8.

xyzzy

Sep 30, 2015, 10:23:02 AM9/30/15
Look forward to hearing your feedback on the Dreamliner.

Your case is a little different. I suspect you're flying for fun, not business. I'm talking about flying that I have to do, and I'm not paying the bill.

I actually think being a private pilot and plane owner makes me willing to put up with more inconvenience and discomfort on airline flights. They all have more amenities than my plane. Not worrying about weather, range, etc seems like a luxury.

Emperor Wonko the Sane

Sep 30, 2015, 10:26:02 AM9/30/15
On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 10:33:14 PM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
If you value your possessions, donut connect through LHR with a checked bag.

Doug

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Sep 30, 2015, 10:52:35 AM9/30/15
On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 9:23:02 AM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:

> Your case is a little different. I suspect you're flying for fun, not business.

Zactly. Although I flew to Dallas on bidness once and the company's travel department basically told me to carress the airfare price and that was it. I like going up and down a lot :-) , the flights were Sunday and Friday so I didn't have to be a slave to a schedule.

> I actually think being a private pilot and plane owner makes me willing to put up with more inconvenience and discomfort on airline flights. They all have more amenities than my plane. Not worrying about weather, range, etc seems like a luxury.

In thirty-five years of flying, I've allowed myself to be bumped once, and never had an aircraft go tech. I have had nothing but good experiences in the commercial aviation industry.

Some dued

Sep 30, 2015, 2:06:44 PM9/30/15
I was in the middle of a connection between Tulsa and Denver when the airlines I was flying on was shut down by the FAA. I had to spend the night in Dallas they did get me a flight the next day but they went under before they could reimburse me for my hotel room. I can't remember the name of the airlines now.

xyzzy

Sep 30, 2015, 3:28:39 PM9/30/15
On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 2:06:44 PM UTC-4, Some dued wrote:
> I was in the middle of a connection between Tulsa and Denver when the airlines I was flying on was shut down by the FAA. I had to spend the night in Dallas they did get me a flight the next day but they went under before they could reimburse me for my hotel room. I can't remember the name of the airlines now.

This one?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB863996523714019000

GrtArtiste

Sep 30, 2015, 3:45:26 PM9/30/15
On 9/30/2015 2:06 PM, Some dued wrote:
> I was in the middle of a connection between Tulsa and Denver when the airlines I was flying on was shut down by the FAA. I had to spend the night in Dallas they did get me a flight the next day but they went under before they could reimburse me for my hotel room. I can't remember the name of the airlines now.

Maybe Braniff?

GrtArtiste

agavi...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2015, 8:02:09 PM9/30/15
ONE. UNO. 1.

Some dued

Oct 1, 2015, 7:42:38 AM10/1/15
I think it was the great lakes one. The time frame is about right.